Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

N'th-ing an easier way to find unplayed or other random music, music by genres (if only the database had those) or by date.

Would it be possible to design a dynamic minimum duration between dong replays? There would be a minimum, and it would naturally saturate at some maximum. basically, if there was shorter between replays, the delay until the next time it could be added would become longer. Immediate disadvantage: It would be hard to understand.
The advantage I could see would be that it could allow fads/memes to continue for a while, but they couldn't continue forever because of the increasing delay, and hopefully the long delay in the end would wash out the fad, but it could still return after a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Test Pilot Monkey posted:

What would really help with that is being able to add a song while yours is playing so that when you're the only person adding songs, it doesn't make you want to tune out.

This.

Or allow freely adding songs when the playlist is shorter than, say, 15 minutes. (That would possibly be abused.)

Also, any chance of getting some kind of replay gain? There should be tools that can apply hard gain to MP3's. Mainly to avoid the pain of going from a 1970'es recording with great dynamics straight to some overcompressed death metal from 2007.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I've considered writing a foobar2000 component for voting and maybe some more stuff, but haven't really done anything about it yet.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Grabulon posted:

Is there any API documentation?

Seems only the source code. I read some of it last night and compiled the basic stuff. http://privatepaste.com/a962723979

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

You know what time it is?

Humppa time.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Anchors posted:

I can't seem to adopt orphan songs anymore since the reboot. It makes me so sad, I just wanted to make the world a good and happy place for all the songs whose parents were brutally murdered.

Yeah it seems that part was removed. Shortly after the reboot, adding songs from the web interface didn't work at all, and failed with an error about "no isOrphan function", so I'm guessing that the orphan song check was removed.
Don't ask me why.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Today we're celebrating dot-matrix printers and other mechanical components of electronic data processing systems.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Haifisch posted:

Dear nielsm:
gently caress you for making me want to listen to Shu-bi-dua. They're way too catchy for their own good and I can't even understand a word they're saying since I don't speak...Danish or whatever language that is.

Thank you very much, dear sir.
Yes, it is Danish, but most of their stuff is pretty mediocre. There are of course some real gems, but also some bad stinks.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

What is a good way to listen to this in Chrome (the extension in the op is dead), or keep it saved in Foobar?

Keeping it saved in foobar: Just create a playlist with the only purpose to hold the station URL.
Also configure any media library thing you might be using so it isn't as eager to overwrite playlists randomly.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

If you get any listener responses make sure to share them!

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Handen posted:

As a side note, where can I find that 'Get Ready For The Big Shoot-out' track? Apparently it was a crowd favourite.

The base "get ready for the big shootout" loop is from an arcade game from Chicago Coin, but it has been used in a number of goon mixes.
Actually, looking at the screenshots from earlier it might just have been the original base track you're talking about, which has ragtime-ish piano in one channel and the speech loop in the other.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Jonnty posted:

Good stuff - just pushed these changes out.

Great! The page for Dixie just became a lot more readable, although still has a few issues. Namely, extremely long lines doing classic table-breaking. I'd suggest adding something like this to the CSS as well:
CSS code:
td {
  max-width: 500px;
  overflow: hidden;
}

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

How far can we go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009