Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

Fistgrrl posted:

I'm embarassed! I have found so much new music on GBS-FM that I am forever indebted and always a supporter!

And shared it! I've got a few new favorites that you uploaded.

I've been listening to GBS-FM at work every day for six years now. I can't imagine the sheer number of different songs I must have heard from it. The variety is unmatched and I've discovered dozens of favorite new bands from it.

GBS-FM :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

I used to think a lot of people were trolls, but I eventually realized people really do like all kinds of music. I mean ALL kinds.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

noELrunes posted:

Yay its back!

Now to re-upload all of my remixes and the bilbo baggins song :unsmith:

Search first! We already have five Bilbo songs.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Fig Newton posted:

But today I learned what a pearl necklace is.
I love the Internet, you learn so much.

Now listen to Pearl Necklace by ZZ Top with your new open eyes.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

pr0k posted:

Sup fellas. Hey has that douche started playing "Faithfully" repeatedly yet?

We haven't seen him for years. Thankfully.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Jibo posted:

So is there a limit to how much one person can upload? I have a weird cover obsession and would be happy to upload my whole 20 gig plus collection.

As long as you take the time to search and make sure you're not adding duplicates, because the station already has a dozen covers of the Final Countdown and probably a huge chunk of your other 20 gigs.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Jetsetlemming posted:

I'm actually pretty pleased with the responses to all my tagged songs so far. Section Quartet, Machine gun fellatio, Devotchka, Freedom Fighters. No hating in the comments yet.

Devotchka is one of my all time favorite bands I discovered from GBS-FM. I've seen them several times now.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

I don't know the official rules on that, but for some songs I think it's justified. The songs that completely run together like Pink Floyd's Brain Damage/Eclipse. Even the radio always runs them together. It would sound incomplete without it.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Linkin Park may not be any good, but compared to some of the stuff here, it's nothing. The only reason people hate is because they actually became popular. If you didn't know who they were, you would find them spectacularly average and nowhere near skip worthy.

Let's save the skips for the speaker breaking songs and Faithfully. ;)

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Charlie Mopps posted:

heh, that linkin park song has a 1.1 average with 21 votes.

It got my 2 instead of a 1 for not having cookie monster vocals. :colbert:

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Yeah it still just sits in the corner of my screen, playing music and using no resources. Having other options that I never use don't bother me none.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Test Pilot Monkey posted:

We also like Jingle Cats

Shut up. Only old ladies like Jingle Cats.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Well maybe if they stopped growling they would stop getting called that. I'm not hearing much metal with Elmo vocals to break up the monotony.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Please, everybody just calm down. We don't want another Journey War to occur. Too many souls were lost in the last one. :ohdear:

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

I don't know the details of the problem, but would it help to only show the latest few comments on the playlist page, while the all the comments can still be viewed on the dong info page?

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

And it's also about telling you how much that song sucks, how much that band sucks, and how much you, personally, suck for uploading that horrible auditory abortion of a song. :eng101:

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Merijn posted:

I listen to everything and enjoy it.

Except Costes.

Costes eats poo poo.

(Not criticizing, just stating a fact)

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Doctor Malaver posted:

After all this Bob Pokosy talk, I had to google it and find out what it sounds like. Sure it's lame but I've heard worse stuff on GBS-FM. What's the big deal?

Also I'd like to thank everyone who made this project possible for introducing me to Der Original Prostataler Drecksaumassakra. I am praying to God that they tour my town and they take me with them and make me a Finn.

It wasn't banned because of the song, but because it had so many comments, it was causing buffering whenever it loaded.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

WillieWestwood posted:

Couldn't have beaten Developers, could it? Did it?

Wow, I'd forgotten about that one. It never seems to get played much in this version.

Edit: Yeah it only has four comments at the moment. http://gbs.fm/song/1365

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

People don't stick around because they're not as tolerant of music they don't like as some of us.

Most of my friends have given GBS-FM a chance, but none of them last because "There's just too much poo poo. I don't want to have to fiddle with my radio every 10 minutes."

I understand that you guys genuinely like the "troll music", but on the flip side you have to understand that some people don't.

I try to add music that I like and I think a lot of others will like, and this is the best way to improve the quality of the station. If more people make sure they're keeping good music on the playlist, it will start to drown out the stuff you'd rather hear less of.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Test Pilot Monkey posted:

You can push Esc to pause it too.

Wow, I never knew about that!

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

It's because people don't remember to vote unless they really like or really hate the song. Those are the only times I remember to at least.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Kaiho posted:

It isn't?

This can't be iterated enough. Whatever band you're into, someone on the station has most likely heard of it (and added some, but possibly not all interesting tracks).

So I heard you say, "ah! But what about my neighborhood band? They're totally awesome and played O'Malley's once and there was a dude from a label there and he said yeah you guys are cool and all".

No.

What do you mean "no"? I've uploaded a lot of good local music, which gets good generally good votes. I'd love to hear local music from other parts of the country too.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Fuschia tude posted:

I think he meant "No, you still have to search."

Pfft, you're probably right, but no question was asked that would make a negative response imply searching. It should have ended with a "Yes." :rant:

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Dominus Vobiscum posted:

Yes, pretty much.

No. GBS-FM and DSB have a long history.

Also, it's an overplayed, insipid, terrible song that should be reserved only for singalongs in bars after everyone present has had at least six drinks. Most of what gets played on GBS-FM is terrible, but for other reasons.

Lives were nearly lost over the Journey discussions in GBS-FM. We had a tense few years back there. It was like a power ballad cold war.

Peach, that sculpture is glorious.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

If I see a dong I know I love coming up, why shouldn't I vote it up in advance?

If I see a dong I know I hate coming up, why shouldn't I vote it down in advance?

Seriously I don't understand this complaint at all.

If you actually know the song and know you love it or hate it, go ahead and vote for it. The problem comes in when somebody sees a song that they've never heard before, but they didn't like the last song they heard by that artist, so they vote it a 1.

Never make a vote based on assumptions for a song you've never listened to. Even if I hated every other Soulja Boy song (which everybody should), I won't vote on them until they play.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Beelzebozo posted:

I don't even consider pre-voting every Soulja Boy song bad form if you know you love/hate Soulja Boy. The worst of it are the people who pre-vote songs based on the user who queued them.
But if you haven't listened to Soulja Boy's entire catalog, how do you know you hate it all? What if one of his songs is actually a really deep and soulful ballad, like an Al Green song?

Obviously this would be a more valid argument with a different artist, but you never know.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Kerplunk posted:

I've been adding unpopular genres(ska) for years. I rarely see anyone prevote the stuff I add.

Ska is hardly unpopular compared to the stuff Weakness would add.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Once we get the Play Count or Last Played Date fields on the search page, I'll add a lot more unplayed dongs.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Nihiliste posted:

But he also stands for supporting GBS FM.

What's a GBS-FMer without a little self loathing?

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

The playlist is probably most active from about 7:00 to 4:00 PDT. Adjust to your timezone accordingly.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

If we donate more, will it be spent on the station in some way or will it just go to your party fund?

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

bowmore posted:

I'm glad this is still going. Anything interesting been happening on GBS fm lately?

Everyone had a meeting and we all agreed to only add really good songs from now on.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Nihiliste posted:

Just as fair warning to others, it seems you can't just add the top 40 gadget and have GBS FM work.

Yeah I can see how those two things wouldn't get along very well.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

This must be the longest power hour of all time.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Jerry Cotton posted:

Adding tracks when you're not listening is a big gently caress you to everyone who is listening.

Maybe if we were adding bad tracks, but I let people listen to my excellent taste in music even if I can't be around to hear it. :colbert:

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Yeah it was fun, now I'm eagerly awaiting the end of the block.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

I thought we were using the original bees.mp3 before Verix made that song. It was my understanding that some goon made it and posted it in some random thread and Kaleboo grabbed it to replace the Holy Grail Intermission song as the error music.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

DaWolfey posted:

It used to be Quack Eep - Mac sounds set to Blue Monday

Of course! How did I forget about Quack Eep?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Jerry Cotton posted:

I like good music. Speaking of which, isn't it time to unban "All I want for christmas is you"?

Are you trying to bring on the apocalypse early?

• Locked thread