Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
:siren: Listen: here Website: gbs.fm :siren:

:guitar: :rimshot: :sax:
After a year, a change of developer and a total rewrite later, GBS-FM is ready to abuse your ears and question just how the gently caress can people listen to this poo poo once again.

:confused: What is GBS-FM?
GBS-FM is an automated internet radio station which plays music uploaded by its users. Listeners themselves create the playlist like a giant goon-stocked Jukebox! You can also vote for and comment on the music that's playing. The greatest part of GBS-FM is the variety - we have over 126 000 songs uploaded (over 700 Gigs!) from every genre imaginable.

Wait a minute... This all sounds strangely familiar...
Indeed. GBS-FM has been around in various forms since 2004, and was previously helmed by kalleboo. However, he couldn’t run it forever, and on the 14th of August 2009, it was closed it down. We were rudderless for a while, until Jonnty took over and rewrote it from the ground up. As it stands, the new incarnation is missing a lot of the features of the old, but fear not, progress is steady, and all the basics are there. The site has not moved from sunny Sweden, but is now hosted by Scuttle.

How do I listen?
The station uses Shoutcast and plays in Winamp, Foobar2000, iTunes, etc. Just click here which should open in your music player of choice. If not, try pasting http://gbs.fm:8080/ into your media players "open url" box. If for some reason port 8080 is blocked (by your corporate firewall for example), the stream is also available at http://gbs.fm:8001/

iPhone / iPad ? TuneIn

Android? Look towards "Streamfurious" and "A online radio".

Windows Phone 7? Resco Radio

Chrome? An extension for Chrome is available, which needs either VLC or Windows Media Player installed.

There is also a pretty nifty Vista / Windows 7 Desktop Gadget (In German, but it's obvious how to configure, just add a custom station). It doesn't get the current song or the listener count, but it does have a play button.

If you use Boxee (not the Boxee Box), read this post for instructions.

It is normal that there is some delay between what the website says is playing and you hearing it, that is just how Shoutcast works. It tends to hover at around 30 second of lag. If it is a lot higher than this for you, try restarting your media player and/or lower the size of its play buffer. Don't make it too low though, or you could get some stuttering.

How do I play a song?
The playlist, song uploading (mp3 only!), voting and forums are all located at http://gbs.fm Go there, join up and interact with the station. It's pretty self explanatory when you get there but in short - search for something in the search box, click the add button, wait.

You can only have one song on the playlist at once though, otherwise it would be even longer than the 8 14 hours it is as I write this.

When that song has played, it cannot be played again for 72 hours, to maintain diversity on the playlist.

Can I scrobble what is being played?
In a word - no. While it is possible to scrobble live streams using the unofficial foobar plugin (other media players can probably do it too) it can't parse how we send the artist and track information, and so it scrobbles rubbish that last.fm cannot interpret. You'll just poo poo up your last.fm account if you try.

Can non-goons participate?
Anybody can listen but only goons can access the website.

Hey Bass, where’s the DJs?
DJs were a part of the old GBS-FM, but we have offloaded that duty to DJ Only station, GhettoRadio. Sign up there if you want to do a show. Unlike the old GBS-FM, Ghetto shows run all the time, not just at weekends.

Chatting and Dong comments
For chat (about the music or whatever) come to our IRC channel #gbs-fm on irc.synirc.net or just Click on this instead. If you want to get a dong unbanned, or have any other problems, this is your best bet. Just ask a moderator.

:siren: The comments box at the bottom of the page is for commenting on the current dong only, all the comments are saved and are shown the next time that dong is played. Please try to avoid general chat or stuff like referring to the previous dong because it will make no sense when its played again in the future.

It isn't working / I see Don't Panic / The music is stuttering / FTP doesn't work!
The large influx of users has exposed some resource and code optimisation problems, while we work on it and fix bugs you may see some "Don't Panic!" errors. Do as it says then wait a bit and refresh.
Stuttering can be caused by problems at this end or general Internet traffic routing problems, but it can also be at yours - check you have enough available bandwidth - you need 128 kbits for the stream.

If you can't connect (or the stream is playing bees), or are getting some other error, post in this thread or join the GBS-FM IRC channel and check out what's up.

:siren: There is a bug with FTP we're trying to fix where it will just refuse to let you log in. In any case, if you have spaces in your name, replace them with _

What’s all this oh-so-hilarious ‘dong’ business about?
No-one quite remembers, but it’s likely that it was a typo that stuck, way back in the dawn of time. All the jokes have been made, it’s just part of GBS-FM’s heritage now. And who doesn’t love a good dong? :dong:

GBS-FM Moderators
These people can help you when you need help, we have absolutely NO CONNECTION TO SOMETHING AWFUL WHATSOEVER, so don't email SA Tech Support.

Scottish coder magnifique: Jonnty
Provider of bandwidths: Scuttle
Pretty bits: overdose
Mods: DaWolfey, BalthCat, Beelzebozo, MisterLizard, Jormagund, Keru, Nihiliste, newsomenuke aka the_bells aka ultra-inquisitor (who is also the botwrangler), Doctor Zero, Dominus Vobiscum.

DaWolfey fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Aug 13, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

NotWearingPants posted:

Was this playlist chosen specifically for your GBS announcement thread?

We knew we were about to launch so everyone added something, it wasn't pre-planned I swear.

Thanks for the sticky Fistgrrl!

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

raditts posted:

I hope the new incarnation has trimmed most of the poo poo songs that I guess people think are hilarious to listen to ironically or whatever, I used to listen at work all the time and discovered some great music until it got to where every song on the list was either rated 1-2 or was some lovely cookie monster metal.

Well part of the problem with that is that some (less, sure) people like it. We're not going to start denying people their music just because its less universally loved. That would suck. It's part of the magic of gbs-fm that you get to hear _everything_.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

buttesnet? I can't find that on a server list.

Also liking this so far, it's a great idea for broadening your taste or at the very least finding out what other people are into.

irc.buttes.org

And yeah, nothing will jam a crowbar into your musical taste and crack it wide open like gbs-fm!

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

Keru posted:

Something we forgot to mention in the OP, don't upload non-music, this includes spoken-word. It gets banned and skip'd if played. If you feel this is draconian or whatever, please realise we've had this discussion to death in the previous years and it was locked in place back then.

See also: noise. No, we won't ban it, it's music.

edit:

Fig Newton posted:

Does this include the "Mammary Sex from Wiki" I just listened to? Or is that being grandfathered in?

Yes, it's just spoken word so it goes. (Though it was pretty funny)

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Thanks both, updated the OP.

Can anyone recommend some decent streaming music iphone/android/etc apps to put in the OP that will work ?

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Thanks, OP updated.

edit: Also added this Vista/7 desktop gadget that shows the number of listeners, song and has a play button/volume control. Pretty neat.

DaWolfey fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 11, 2010

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
We limit to 1 song on the playlist per user otherwise it would be a lot longer than 6 hours 45 minutes that it is now.
Before today, it was 2 per listener, but then the playlist rarely got over 2 hours long.

We may switch to a different system where it's about amount of time rather than number of songs, but that's the future.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
and it's a very important rule because even if you think you have the most obscure taste in the world, there's a good chance that at least some of what you want to upload is already there.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

Nizzle posted:

Voting and loving dongs, does that have any effect? Or is that just fow when I don't want to do any work but need to look busy?

Of course, it makes the adder feel bad that you think his favourite song is a worthless, tuneless mess with no artistic merit.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

Xanin posted:

I just uploaded the leekspin song. Won't be on for hours though...

You have committed the crime of not searching before uploading.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

Leperflesh posted:

There seems to be a persistent 17 second delay between when the web page thinks a song has started, and when it shows up in the stream. 17s seems very long for internet lag.

This is an inherent thing with Shoutcast (the streaming software) and your media player having a buffer to ensure smooth playback.

Not something we can fix i'm afraid as the delay can vary a lot.

I've made some updates to the OP about this and other stuff.

spankmeister posted:

I mentioned this on IRC but I think it would be a great idea to create a last.fm profile for GBSFM and scrobble all the tracks it plays. :q:

We don't scrobble GBS-FM but we do have a last.fm Group

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
You can upload a song of any length but you can only add a song up to 11 minutes long.
Ask a mod to unban individual songs that are longer for a single play, but since the playlist is 9.5 hours long right now, we're going to say no (sorry).

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
edit: server was restarted to give us more resources. Lets hope it helps!

DaWolfey fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 12, 2010

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

Fuschia tude posted:

Hi, I just authed with socks!
Hi, I just authed with socks!

:fuckoff:

That is part of an ingenius workaround by botwrangler the_bells to test if someone has authed correctly. The comment gets removed.

It'll be made redundant soon.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

Test Pilot Monkey posted:

Been listening for a little while, awesome so far.

Added one of my own songs to the playlist, hope people like goon made music.

We need lots of goon made music!

trouser chili posted:

Seems like it's helping. Much snappier on the web interface, less disconnects on the stream.

Yeah, ajax query time is much lower now, it's all much better. Meanwhile, further optimisation is being done.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
If you can't log in to FTP and you have spaces in your name, use _ instead.
If not, and you just regged it's a bug we know about and are working on it.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

Cemetry Gator posted:

Would the numbers station really qualify as music though? Unlike noise, where the creators call it music and it's intention is music, numbers stations are just recordings of spy broadcasts. It seems like it would fall under the spoken-word issue.

That is all true but a lot of them have little tunes in them, they sound cool and are short, so we let them slide.

Mostly because it invites lots of "WHAT THE gently caress IS THIS, ITS loving TERRIFYING" comments, and that's always fun.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

Peachstapler posted:

110 listeners? That's great. Well done. This is the kind of listenership that brings post-rave artists out of retirement.

We've hit 124!

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Yeah we're not sure on why that's happening.
What browser are you using?

You can easily clear it with a refresh.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
On the subject of scrobbling, and addressing whoever said earlier that the Ghetto stream was showing album art but not gbs-fm's:

You can scrobble the live stream, at least in foobar, using the unofficial foobar scrobbler from http://www.mp3tag.de/en/fb2k.html

However, you don't want to do it with gbs-fm because we are not sending the metadata that contains the artist and song title through the stream in the "standard" (there isn't actually a standard) way - we send "artist (album) - track [blame user]" which causes the scrobbler to get confused and send weird artist and track names to last.fm that it can't interpret.

It is the same problem with media players - ghettoradio isn't sending album art, your media player is finding it based on the artist and track name itself.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Uploader: Fistgrrl

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
If you are using Boxee (It's htpc media center software) you can also listen to the stream, but you need to do a bit of fiddling.

1. Go the Shoutcast Radio app in Boxee and add one of the stations as a favourite, doesn't matter what, we're going to remove it anyway. Now quit Boxee

2. Edit the file C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\BOXEE\userdata\profiles\<profile>\apps\shout\registry.xml (This is where it is on Windows 7, Vista/XP will be slightly different) with notepad and change the text between the <value> html tags to: http://gbs.fm:8080/listen.pls|GBS-FM

3. Save. Start Boxee and now gbs-fm is there as a favourite in the shoutcast app, you can't vote or anything but you can listen to the stream!

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
It is now time for my show, also on http://ghettoradio.us:8209/listen.pls

Maybe you'll like it?

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

Sasquatch! posted:

I missed GBS-FM...I managed to find a lot of new music back in the day, so hooray!

EDIT: So wait - http://gbsfm.info/ apparently still exists. What is it now?

http://gbs.fm

(You could at least try and read the OP)

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
He says "I'm a raver baby, so why don't you kill me", it a sample from some other song.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

Sasquatch! posted:

You misunderstood. I got that the new site was at gbs.fm...I was wondering what/why the old site existed.

Ah right, I guess I did misunderstand. Kalleboo just never took the old site down is all. The stream went off, and that was it. You can still login and read all the old comments and forum if you like.
He later started randomly rot13ing forum posts too

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

M R CRACKER posted:

If you have room I want to try out for a show. I have a few show ideas, you can pick one, or I can rotate them for variety.

There's plenty of room on the Ghetto schedule. Just have a look on the DJ page and pick a slot!

M R CRACKER posted:

Cat Time

I think we both know this is the winner.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

NewAgeRetroHippie posted:

Curse you, DaWolfey! I was going to queue that exact same song! (Camel - Freefall) :argh:

edit: Actually, pleasantly surprised to see there's another Camel fan here.

Hehe, i've been slowly getting into prog - I've been playing various albums during my show each week for nearly a year now (There is a thread on the Ghetto forums with a list).
There are some awesome bands that i've found so far - Camel I really like as well as The Enid (which I played earlier), Magma, Henry Cow...

Add some of your favourites and lets hear em!

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

Radio PhoolCat posted:

Van der Graaf Generator
Rick Wakeman

I've listened to a bit of Van der Graaf but i've found it pretty boring for some reason - what is their quintessential album?
Wakeman is cool but I find his style starts to grate after a while, there's something.. i dunno.. soulless about it.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

NewAgeRetroHippie posted:

edit: Happy the Man didn't go over so well with goons.

They'll learn to like it, in time.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

Helldesk posted:

IRC went down approximately 37 minutes ago, and the station is unavailable as well. Connection attempts are timing out. What's the situation?

It's fine ?
We're all still here, IRC, Website, stream.. Must be your end.

You timed out: [11:12] *** Helldesk!Helldesk@xxxx.fi has quit IRC: Ping timeout

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

Helldesk posted:

Odd. Got back to IRC, on a different server, but the stream is still timing out.

Is it still off for you ?

Anyone else ?

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

CORNHOLE PATROLE posted:

More power hours and blocks would be nice. They are really awesome

There's nothing stopping anyone getting a few people together and doing a block. We've had a Rotterdam Terror Corps block and gyre coordinated a Háry János Suite.

Just get some people together, and away you go! (IRC is good for this)

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
To maintain song diversity, we've increased the song replay rate to 72 hours so now you have to wait 72 hours before the same song can be added.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

Joe Anglican posted:

Holy cow. Not going to forget "高円寺百景" any time soon.

Zeuhl kinda has that effect.
It's desperate panic-stricken prophesying in musical form.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
And Rex Trulove

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

Dominus Vobiscum posted:

Also, Isao Tomita isn't j-pop!

Who thought that, so I can laugh at them.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Cheating the system by adding 3 unrelated songs together like that is against the rules.

Please report any that you see, so they can be dealt with accordingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

1 posted:

one minute long recording of a nineteen-forties computer running through its repertoire of two and a half songs.

It's safe to say that something like that is fine, given its short length.
And joining up songs that flow into each other without a gap - that's ok if it's like that on the cd. As in they are two tracks together.
But just lumping songs together than are unrelated, no chance.

Basically, we want the tracks as they would be as on the album, not hosed with.

• Locked thread