Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

skander posted:

Such as?

Usually its because your FTP client didn't report the file as finished when it was uploading, so the system doesn't try to process it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

Helvete posted:

What about re-uploading/replacing dongs that look incomplete? I was going to add this to the playlist but it's supposed to have a running time of 5:53. There was one other track I saw like that, but it was only missing about ten seconds.

If you see what looks like a broken dong, or its really terrible quality, upload a nice version - properly tagged - and report the old one as a dup of yours, saying you've uploaded a better quality/fixed version, for us to merge.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
The rule of thumb here is "Don't damage that dong"

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
It's great to see you back, Boy of Joy. I'm looking forward to hearing all the new stuff you've found.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

Attitude Indicator posted:

I've noticed the listener number has dropped down quite a bit over the weekend. I guess this is just the number stabilizing or something.
How many listeners did the old station have on average?

Well gbsfm 1 would pull in sort of 40-80 during the course of a weekday. Weekend would always be lower because a lot of people listen at work or they're just generally not at their computer.

Since the launch we've had a lot of churn - new people coming in, adding the odd song then not coming back.
Now it's levelling out - the playlist length will stabilise (it'll grow and shrink over the course of a day) and people are adding and voting less but the same names are appearing over and over adding songs and commenting - these people seem to want to stick around (suckers).

GBS-FM is not for everyone - some people don't like the schizophrenic genre shifting or aren't willing to stand some of the more - let's say challenging - music that is played or they don't have a lifestyle where listening to internet radio for a long time fits.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Relax guys, skipping is rare and the mod in question has been asked to restrain himself.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Welcome to our two new mods: Doctor Zero and Dominus Vobiscum !

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

helopticor posted:

Also, GBS.FM has twice as many mods as GBS and like 1/20th or less of the users to wrangle, do you guys have enough to do?

Mod duties are not just dealing with user issues, a lot of is to do with retagging songs (not just those that are reported).
Only the most OCD about correct tagging get to be a mod!

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

Test Pilot Monkey posted:

With "Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom!!" on the playlist it gave me a thought.

Make it happen! Just pop on to irc (or however you want to do it, but IRC is easy) and coerce some people into making a block with you!

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

http://gbs.fm/upload

That shows you what you uploaded, not what you queued.

There is no way to get a list of what you added, but we're working on an update with some stats and things, we'll try and get it into that.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

spankmeister posted:

What the gently caress is up with this 47 minute song? Wasn't the limit 10?

Sometimes we unban longer songs when the playlist is short. It was fairly short when it was added.

Pester us in IRC for long song unban requests!

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Foobar, but with none of the visualiser / album art poo poo - it's to play music, not to look at.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

So then this should probably be unbanned

You're right. It's now unbanned.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
If you like British Radio Comedy (Adam and Joe) and Prog Rock then why not listen to my show that is just starting now on Ghetto Radio.

http://ghettoradio.us:8209/listen.pls

You could do worse!

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

Kaiho posted:

I'd like to see what your reaction is to Merzbow.

Let's find out! (Added Merzbow)

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

pill for your ills posted:

I hope nobody minds that I'm contributing to this "My Name Is..." party without having helped plan it.

It's encouraged!

If you see a block forming, or can see potential for a block, start one - sometimes everyone will jump in too.

We once did a block consisting of song with monday, tuesday, wednesday etc in the title - we got through 3 whole consecutive weeks until someone broke it.
It wasn't planned, it just happened..

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Congratulations to Entropist who skilfully had Yakkety Sax play within a few minutes of the second tower collapsing.

He earned a token for that!

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Love you, Fisty :3:

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Today we shall be adding songs about cows, or other farm yard animals.

Why?

Why not :colbert:

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
He may know what to do, but he never bloody does it!

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
She said she couldn't. In her own words: "there wasn't enough to work with"

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Looks like we've got a bodily fluids block forming...

well, not just fluids

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

Also, don't go cutting things down to fit.

Absolutely do not do this.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Anything that would allow the collective will of the users to alter how long it is before a song can be played will be abused horribly. It happened in the past, and it would happen again.

All dongs must be treated equally - the problem is that of them being overplayed, not their mere existence. We know people would try to get around a time-limiting system by uploading dupes and "remixes".

We will be making some changes that should go a long way to solving these problems, but development has been stagnant for a while as Jonnty has gone back to university and doesn't have much time. We do have some more developers actively looking and learning the code, so development should begin again soon. Paging Dred Furst and Phuzion to IRC !

DaWolfey fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Oct 17, 2010

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Yes. We are offline for x hours as our host is getting an upgrade to gigabit. In the meantime, why not listen to live DJs on sister station Ghetto Radio

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
The ip address of gbs.fm has changed, so you may need to flush your dns cache. Restart your media player, or reboot.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
And also

Fire recently played posted:

DragonForce (Sonic Firestorm) - My Spirit Will Go On
The Most Serene Republic (Phages) - Anhoi Polloi
Nightwish (Wish I Had An Angel) - Ghost Love Score [Intramental]
Nightwish (Once) - Ghost Love Score
Nightwish (Dark Passion Play) - Bye Bye Beautiful
Nightwish (Wish I Had An Angel) - Ghost Love Score [Intramental]
Nightwish (Once) - Wish I Had an Angel
Nightwish (Once) - Ghost Love Score
The Most Serene Republic (Phages) - Anhoi Polloi
Métisse (My Fault) - Boom Boom Bâ

so... yeah

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
The only poetry allowed is that weird tonal poetry because that's all about the sound and the rhythm rather than words.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Yes! It's a theme day because America has an election going on so we want your tea party, voting, election and politics related songs!

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
We would especially like crazy home made songs that you've picked up from the tv, radio or youtube and such.
Think "we've got the stop the mosque at ground zero"

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Plus at 55 minutes it's unlikely they'll ever be played.

So yeah, don't upload them.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
the_bells aka ultra_inquisitor aka JNTN aka JoannaNewsomTacticalNuke we miss you and we want you to come home.

signed
#gbs-fm

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Have a Windows Phone 7 phone? Now you can listen too with Resco Radio

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Time to bring out this anecdote from GBS-FM past.

In the beginning, GBS-FM had the feature where songs that got voted down would be autoskipped.
It was a disaster. The result was that EVERY song would get skipped except for a small number of very popular songs because everyone voted every song down for a number of different reasons:

1. They wanted to hear their song and would do anything to get to it.
2. They didn't like that song or that genre.
3. Fun

Problem is, any system where the group decides a songs fate is doomed to fail because everyone has conflicting likes and dislikes and there is rarely any consensus of opinion.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

Clarence Boddicker posted:

announce a movie is happening.

Next Mondays is going to be a doozy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vey_jxgduvU

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
We're going offline briefly for a spot of maintenance.

Back shortly!

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

gtdp posted:

This whole website is built around dickery. Why not embrace it?

It isn't built around dickery and we don't want dickery, what you describe:

Adding lots of classical music
Adding a troll song
Using IRC to collaborate to play an entire album of screamo

Are a consequence of the freedom we allow and the community we have whose motives are generally pure. (What constitutes a troll song is different debate) Is it not awesome that people will collaborate to play an album in order, or we have themes emerging spontaneously? I think it is and I would never consider it dickery or ever want it to stop.

However "pre-voting 1 on something because the uploader has a funny name" is a dick move. Your argument that voting doesn't mean anything is no excuse. It does have consequences in that the votes for a song and so its relative popularity is distorted. That may not mean all that much today, but it may tomorrow.

I hate pre-voting, If I had my way I would have the system prevent any voting on any song unless it is either the current song or is still on the playlist as recently played, but I know that would be unpopular. What I take exception to is when someone blanket votes an artist or a users uploads. There is no justifiable reason for this other than being ignorant or a dick. You've not heard all the songs, what if there was one you would rate 3 instead of 1? What if that user uploaded some stuff you've never heard of but you vote it 1 anyway, but its actually something you would have liked? Sure you can change your vote but why be a dick in the first place? Are you going to be around to hear every song and revote based on its individual merit?

You can't argue that this sort of thing doesn't happen because "who would have the time? Who would care enough?", because it most certainly did in GBS-FM 1 - multiple people voting all the Frank Zappa 1 or 5 or Journey 1 or 5, it was pathetic, hence my hard-line attitude towards pre-voting now.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
We've just had a change of IP. If your DNS hasn't updated yet, you can get the stream on http://194.14.173.156:8001/

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
We're down for a few hours, but don't worry!

Myself and Doctor Zero are hijacking Ghettoradio until we're back online:

http://ghettoradio.us:8209/listen.pls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
And we're back!

• Locked thread