Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

gently caress, it's good to be back. I've missed having lots of comments, lots of votes and a long playlist with stuff I've never heard.

New listeners: The unique brand of humor that has developed on GBS-FM over the past 6 (poo poo, seriously?) years is grating but affable. You'll get used to it soon enough, and there's plenty of wheat among the chaff.

I credit an incredible widening of my musical tastes directly to GBS-FM over the years. It is A Good Thing.

(for those wondering how it differs from Spotify/Last.fm/etc is purely in the community and unpredictability of it. On Spotify you get "similar" artists, but will never encounter a completely leftfield option you didn't know existed and couldn't see yourself liking prior to hearing it.

Here's to a good run into the far future and new fridge magnets :patriot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

I see like 51 listeners currently, and tons of songs on the playlist. But where are all the votes and comments? I'm really keen on hearing peoples' opinions on what's playing. :3:

edit: VVV I meant they don't seem to garner that many votes per play considering how many people are ostensibly listening at any one time... VVV

Kaiho fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Sep 9, 2010

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Luminous Cow posted:

Dude, they totally did. Every one of their songs was at least nine minutes long, and horrible.

I will grant you that Sunn O))) takes some getting used to, but what better way to encounter new music than when it is forced on you by other anonymous internet users?

The thing with Sunn O))) is that you just don't get the full effect you're meant to if you listen quietly on little headphones, or even worse, little tinny speakers. It's meant to be a tactile as well as an aural experience, a wholly consuming wall of drone. If you don't at first dig it, turn it up!

For which a 128kbps stream is inadequate, but you do what you can.

Seriously, aside from some of the poo poo played repeatedly by a bunch of trolls on the station, there is musical merit and value in pretty much everything played on GBS-FM. In fact, my first encounter with Sunn O))) was on GBS-FM and I honestly didn't know what to make of it. Since that time, I've seen them live, bought records and done a lot of exploration of the music they consider their influences. Plus, you have to dig a band with a vocalist who looks like this.

And that's just one of the artists and genres I discovered through GBS-FM.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Luminous Cow posted:

I was going to reply, but you said everything I wanted to ten times better.

Seriously, they're bad, and no amount of volume or bass is going to make it better. Maybe :420: but that's a huge maybe.

I'd like to see what your reaction is to Merzbow.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

bowmore posted:

Someone chuck Motorhead - Ace of Spades on the playlist!

Why won't you? :)

pill for your ills posted:

I hope nobody minds that I'm contributing to this "My Name Is..." party without having helped plan it.

completely spontaneous, nothing planned about it!

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

bowmore posted:

I threw one on and then realized I really wanted to hear it now I have to wait ages.

Nobody has to though

The playlist runs in sequence, from earliest-added to the newest. There is no way to inject songs to play earlier.

edit: VVV Now I am confused :ohdear: VVVV

Kaiho fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Sep 10, 2010

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

And now the stream is full of sentimental bullcrap like Frank Sinatra.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

From beautifully serene Brian Eno to retarded dude sprachsinging about "sticking it in!" and "pleasing... the ladies".

:love: GBS-FM. Don't ever change.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Nihiliste posted:

Stream activity seems unusually quiet this morning. I'm assuming goons are sleeping or in classes, correct me if I'm wrong.

Was thinking (and wondering) the same thing. Haven't seen a one-hour playlist for a while.

If you want to hear something you add to the playlist without having to wait an inordinate time, now's your chance! And there's some of us on ready to vote and comment on your musical taste :v:

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Is there a list of "we are working on these features" anywhere? I'm not asking for any sort of ETA (Jonnty has to be a student first and foremost etc etc) but I'm honestly curious as to what users can expect :)

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

skander posted:

I've been re-ripping some things at higher bitrates, and would like to upload them, but don't want to delete the old ones one-by-one. (And some things weren't uploaded by me anyway.) How would this be handled, or is it just a case of 'don't bother'?

Are the originals significantly below 128kbps? That's what the stream is so if they are currently near that bitrate, why replace them? And you'd have to report each dong individually with the ID of the higher bitrate one, yes.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Goons, proving the hivemind and conforming extends to anything vaguely "going on".

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

SumYungGui posted:

GBSFM is a house of deception and lies. It promises you free music and before you know it you're buying the tenth CD off Amazon.

This is true. It is an amazing way to discover music, not just new stuff but stuff you never knew existed. Whole types of music.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Speaking of which, we really need user add histories!

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Peachstapler posted:

Modest buffering begins for me whenever Bob Pokosy begins to play. After 3 minutes it's fine though and the buffering stops. Has anyone else noticed this?

Like ultra-inquisitor said, it's most likely the number of comments, but I personally can't say that I've experienced this. Possible that my browser slows down momentarily as it tries to figure out what order to show comments in (I'm sure I'm not alone to have seen comments shuffling around) but the stream itself hasn't slowed down for me.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Incoherence posted:

Is the comment shuffling a bug? I thought it was just a really stupid feature that tried to order comments by position in the song.

I think the idea was to have it display comments at the time of commenting like G1 had at the end. It doesn't always work, and because they're static in that window and not scrolling across like G1 (which took it off Nicovideo) it kind of shuffles around feebly.

Personally I never thought scrolling comments were a great idea. How many "this here is a good bit" comments do we need?

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Communocracy posted:

This station has taught me that goons love terrible metal. I've heard other stuff on here that was good though, so keep it up!

If you thought the Enslaved track was "lame", wait till Jormagund gets himself into gear :D

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

8-bit Pokosy
:downsrim:

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Two dongs on the playlist? Come on guys :(

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Yeah mixes are generally a no-no. The whole idea is to play single tracks, to have a semblance of fairness.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Beelzebozo posted:

Were it not for the v1 policy of separating hidden tracks into separate dong ids, I would likely never have been able to convince you guys of the subtle genius of Animal Dong.

Subtle? There's nothing subtle about the genius of Animal dong. It is genius.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Though in the interests of keeping things going I'd suggest stripping links of any referrer information if that ends up being implemented.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Capping comments at some useful level would be a solution, but would potentially lead to abuse by jokers who would just spam the box full.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Prussian Blue evening. Stay classy, GBS-FM :love:

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Test Pilot Monkey posted:

I may make a song out of it, so obviously that'll be allowed.

You'd have to do a bit more than just put a beat behind the speaking though.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

I wonder if there's enough of a userbase and activity for some Pistols at Dawn-style forfeiture.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

BalthCat posted:

Not really much more. If you can justify playing the music behind it as minimalist, you can justify playing the barely musical poetry :P

Thing is, previously the mods have taken a stand against stuff created expressly to circumvent the rules.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Beelzebozo posted:

Believe it or not, costes isn't gay. He used to be married to Lisa Suckdog.

Also, he rules.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Is the site not loading for anyone else? The stream is fine, but I can't pull up the webpage.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Oh, you mean Pimp

Nah, that's DJ Timisoara. Have you seen the eastern European women that guy has on his record covers?

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

I know it's pretty futile on my part, but one thing I liked about G1 was how the forums were one part of the community, and IRC was another. It seems you have to be an IRCtard to get the "most" out of the place right now.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Tyshalob posted:

Apparently GBS-FM really hates They Might Be Giants. I think the best way to sell them on the awesomeness of TMBG is to find a 20 minute Merzbow cover.

That is because They Might Be Giants are an awfully excruciatingly terrible band.

That said their dongs have throughout history been highly-rated on GBS-FM (both on the old station and now). I can't fathom why. Since when has it turned to deserved hate?

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

And you've uploaded at least one dupe so far! Search before uploading, or you'll invoke the wrath of mod!

This bears repeating.

I Might Be Adam posted:

"Tell us you oval office!"

From this description alone I knew it was Giovanni and Sebastian :love:

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

We've been through this, read the thread :colbert:

Way to be helpful and not dismissive of peoples' points at all.

Nihiliste posted:

We could stand to indulge in the in-jokes less often. None of the new people are going to have any idea what DJ Magnetic Dozer is making fun of.

This. Elftor is right. A lot of the "hurr this is funny to piss people off with" music is gaining prominence. I'm a long-time listener and have had my tastes expanded manifold by the constant barrage of poo poo but I can totally see how immersion therapy does not work. We should be considerate and encouraging, not slapping new users in the face with a horrible learning curve of repetitive donk and catchphrases or circuit-bent retardation (as opposed to more accessible circuit-bending music).

It's a question of degrees, and of scope. While listeners can mute or pause the stream when a stupid dong comes on, the other side of the coin is that fans of troll/stupid/meme dongs are free to play them in their spare time and not burden the station so much with them.

edit: It would also be totally awesome if the new users who are sticking around would comment, vote, and bitch more. I'm not saying hop on the IRC bandwagon. I find that dong comments add so much spice to the station, and inventing really good ones gives you satisfaction.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

If people want hundreds of simultaneous listeners, then the format has to move away from the, let's say, non-mainstream playlist. If people want to keep this format, then we will not have hundreds of listeners.

I think the likes of Spotify and other on-demand music solutions have eroded the listener base. I remember when (2005? 2006?) the usual peak listenership was close to a hundred, and the playlist averaged 8ish hours. There was a LOT of variety then, and I consider that the peak of the station so far actually.

Before people castrate me, do understand that I am intimately aware of "people genuinely like Costes/Taco teh wodner dough/Diamanda Galas/Cannibal Corpse" and agree 100% (I like them all, and was introduced to all but the last one through GBS-FM). All I'm saying is that in the current active user climate, those people liking the, shall we say, conventionally-unappealing stuff are in a large majority and, though they may not add it exclusively, it features a lot on the station. If there was a larger active userbase, the variety would correspondingly be larger.

I agree with bringing back unplayed dongs mode and a random unplayed button. I should upload more stuff myself. Way back when the vast majority of my adds (in the thousands on GBS-FM 1) were random, previously-unplayed dongs, I could count on adding something novel to the playlist a lot of the time. I don't think it would be detracting from the station or its ethos if we active users didn't insist on wringing new users through the mangle with the Pokosys and Costeses in quite such a thorough way.

I still think Ganjalice vs. Chief Packabowl beats the poo poo outta Zabbah.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Jonnty posted:

I've unilaterally put the replay interval to a week. I hope nobody minds, but if you do, I suppose you ought to familiarise yourself with the definition of "unilateral" and be quiet.

(but seriously: sound good?)

Sounds awesome. Let's rock it with new music! :)

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Dominus Vobiscum posted:

This hardly ever stops anyone else (especially the part about you being the only one who likes it). Add whatever you like. Part of the fun is seeing everyone react with anger at your contributions to the playlist.

I feel like there's less and less of that these days. I feel people don't really bother voting or commenting either way :/

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Jormagund posted:

Yay on the new cool-off period.

If we're going to cut out some of the crap does that mean less lovely Chrimbo music?

Anything played in the last days won't make it for Christmas, meaning that should you listen on Xmas day your stream will be delightfully easy on the festive poo poo.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

From what I understand, it's intentional. Perhaps a testing thing.

And you guys seriously don't want awesome music 24/7 do you? You'd get burned out on it. And when would you find time to go take a crap, or talk to real people?

Awesome means different things to different people. I'm completely indifferent on the game soundtracks many people cream their pants over but don't mind a lot of it.

I think it's a question of degree. People on GBS-FM often get known for certain genres - there's the metal cats, the occasional rap/hip-hop person, electronica people, industrial kids, etc. If each of them only and exclusively added weird wacky poo poo intended to be humorous to a certain subsection of an internet audience, it would get tiresome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Talkc posted:

Wow. This is incredible. Behold the power of Goons and Music.

( Ive been looking to broaden my tastes musically and i think this station will do just the trick ).

Awesome! Welcome!

(You will discover music that blows your mind, leaving what you like now jilted and forlorn)

• Locked thread