Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Real Life posted:

The Aphex Twin sample caught me off guard.

I don't know how I feel about that.

Which song sampled Aphex Twin?

EDIT - Never mind, it's Blame Game.

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Oct 25, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
I love Avril 14th and that song is going to be awesome

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I really enjoyed watching that movie. Good enough for me.

keveh
Sep 14, 2004

If you have a problem.....
I thought that it was pretty awesome, especially the 'All of the Lights' section.

NicelyNice
Feb 13, 2004

citrus
Not sure if I appreciated it on an artistic level, but I sure as hell appreciated it on a "Kanye West is one entertaining dude"-level

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
In "Kanye saying outrageous poo poo on twitter" news:

http://twitter.com/kanyewest/status/28670751925
http://twitter.com/kanyewest/status/28670703251

It's getting harder to defend his opinions as being part of some greater creative vision.

Kiros
Mar 16, 2008

Does anybody know about the quake?
Bullshit!

Brett824 posted:

In "Kanye saying outrageous poo poo on twitter" news:

http://twitter.com/kanyewest/status/28670751925
http://twitter.com/kanyewest/status/28670703251

It's getting harder to defend his opinions as being part of some greater creative vision.

First one I agree with. The second statement... he might want to retract that.

Heard
Oct 22, 2010
Soulja boy is loving good.

Heard
Oct 22, 2010

quote:

“Hood phenomenon, the Lebron of rhyme, it’s hard to be humble when you’re stunting on a Jumbotron."

Just wow. Somehow, he rhymed Lebron with "rhyme", pardon the redundancy. I've doubted his rhyming (rapping, MCing) skills in the past, but they're a good admixture of commonplace niceties and straight up Nas, straight up 80s, 90s, 2000s ('00-'03), classic rap packaged in an iconic package, again, pardon the redundancy.

Superchunk
Dec 27, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

HikingLenoFan posted:

Just wow. Somehow, he rhymed Lebron with "rhyme", pardon the redundancy. I've doubted his rhyming (rapping, MCing) skills in the past, but they're a good admixture of commonplace niceties and straight up Nas, straight up 80s, 90s, 2000s ('00-'03), classic rap packaged in an iconic package, again, pardon the redundancy.

I'm sorry what? I can't comprehend someone saying this after saying "Soulja Boy is loving good"

Surely you're talking about someone else, right?

Heard
Oct 22, 2010

Superchunk posted:

I'm sorry what? I can't comprehend someone saying this after saying "Soulja Boy is loving good"

Surely you're talking about someone else, right?

Kanye isn't avant-garde.

TheYellowFog
Oct 17, 2008

grain alcohol and rainwater
HikingLenoFan maybe you should dial down the histrionics a bit to make your trolling less obvious. Or just don't post at all, either way.

Nobody is saying that this is a great piece of avant-garde art or that Kanye West is the most ingenious rapper ever (hey who else could I say was overrated? Kurt Cobain, score). I don't even like the video but this hyperbolic sarcasm is annoying.

SteepleJack
Oct 20, 2005
Live.
I think Runaway works really well as a series of interconnected music videos, but as a standalone film it kind of falls apart.

Either way this is going to be the pop album of the year.

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
Theres certainly some imagery in that video that I appreciate. If you know what I mean.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Miles O'Brian posted:

Theres certainly some imagery in that video that I appreciate. If you know what I mean.

This was of course the best part of all runaway.

Cizzo
Jul 5, 2007

Haters gonna hate.
I watched it last night and I have to say it was pretty good but some of it just seemed to force an artistic feel. The scene in particular is the part where they bring out the bird and the bird-lady freaks out. That was more annoying than it was artsy and creative.

Also, did anyone notice the shaky ballet dancer who was shaking during the freeze?

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cizzo posted:

Also, did anyone notice the shaky ballet dancer who was shaking during the freeze?

Which one? Nearly all of them shook and kept looking around, waiting for cut call.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Cizzo posted:

I watched it last night and I have to say it was pretty good but some of it just seemed to force an artistic feel. The scene in particular is the part where they bring out the bird and the bird-lady freaks out. That was more annoying than it was artsy and creative.

Hahaha, I definitely did. Felt bad for her.

I'm really looking forward to the final version of All of the Lights.

Jabe
Nov 18, 2006

APPLE IS A SHIT COMPANY GOD I WISH THEY WOULD JUST GO DIE OR SOMETHING JEEZ

Kanye thinks he's a loving pop music Picasso. So what can we expect next from him, I honestly can't come up with anything that's more outrageous than this. Holy poo poo.

This lady gaga superficial art thing is the worst thing that ever happened in the history of music. Pop music is not art, it's a formula. Get over yourselves stupid pop artists.

Jabe fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Oct 26, 2010

Iraff
Dec 29, 2008

Jabe posted:

This lady gaga superficial art thing is the worst thing that ever happened in the history of music. Pop music is not art, it's a formula. Get over yourselves stupid pop artists.

Please tell me what genres you have decreed constitute as art.

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.12745/title.kanye-west-sends-message-to-bootleggers-talks-album-bonus-tracks

thats kind of good news.

Jabe
Nov 18, 2006

Iraff posted:

What is art ?

I tend to think it's not this superficial crap, it has absolutely no message or meaning other than the sole purpose of looking good.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT

Jabe posted:

What is art ?

I tend to think it's not this superficial crap, it has absolutely no message or meaning other than the sole purpose of looking good.

You're wrong, but let's not get into the "WHAT IS ART" debate in yet another goddamn thread.

Jabe
Nov 18, 2006

the Bunt posted:

You're wrong, but let's not get into the "WHAT IS ART" debate in yet another goddamn thread.

Agreed, but I'm not wrong. Let's just leave it. A "what is art debate" in a Kanye West thread on a comedy forum. Read that a few times. It's kinda funny.

Jabe fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Oct 26, 2010

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Jabe posted:

Agreed, but I'm not wrong. Let's just leave it. A "what is art debate" in a Kanye West thread on a comedy forum. Read that a few times. It's kinda funny.

I think it actually has a quite heavy handed message/meaning...

reach42
May 20, 2008

Satan is my lord
Bribe officials and kill goats
Hail Satan, Go Hawks
So many goons think that Art is an inherently Good pejorative, it's really bizarre. Art is subjective with levels of good/bad which depend partly on the performer and partly on the listener; I believe Kanye succeeds in Runaway in many parts (mostly audiovisual) while also failing in some places (wooden acting, occaisional ham-handedness). It's certainly a work of art, partly because the visuals are enough to elicit an emotional response. I'd say it's a success and I'm glad that Kanye has managed to make a longer/better music video than Lady Gaga.

edit: honestly, if I had the time right now, I think making a nmd thread on what constitutes Art is would be a really good thing. If it's not done by tomorrow I might make one.

reach42 fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Oct 27, 2010

TITY BOI
Apr 4, 2008

A REAL HUMAN BEING
AND A REAL TITY BOI

Jabe posted:

Agreed, but I'm not wrong.

Actually, you are incredibly wrong and probably very stupid.

Bonye West
Oct 22, 2010

by Ozma
I love Kanye's music, I can take or leave his crazy behavior. I feel like that with a lot of musicians, I don't necessarily care what they say so long as their product is good. Some are boring, some same outlandish things, some dress as if they are kings and keep a harem of ballerina's. He's entertaining and I really like the direction his new stuff is taking. He is totally insane, but it's usually entertaining.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

Iraff posted:

Art is any music I like, but not ironically. For instance, early Modest Mouse, Pedro the Lion, and even Aphex Twin and Daft Punk who Kanye so shamelessly ripped off. Also Radiohead. Especially Radiohead. It's important to note that if it's popular it's not art (except Radiohead). Why? Because if it were art then you sheeple wouldn't get it. My roommate, Dave, agrees.

"Not art" are bands I like ironically such as Boston and Molly Hatchet. Maybe even WASP.

Kanye is worse than those. He's (c)rap.

sonicice
Oct 21, 2000

Michael J Beverage, I've got a bone to pick with you.
This is a thread in No Music Discussion which is a subforum of The Finer Arts therefore I have determined that the video must be Art.

Bonye West
Oct 22, 2010

by Ozma

sonicice posted:

This is a thread in No Music Discussion which is a subforum of The Finer Arts therefore I have determined that the video must be Art.

Well, your avatar is wearing a tie.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
drat this thread got really stupid really fast

reach42
May 20, 2008

Satan is my lord
Bribe officials and kill goats
Hail Satan, Go Hawks

Mr. Belding posted:

Art is any music I like, but not ironically. For instance, early Modest Mouse, Pedro the Lion, and even Aphex Twin and Daft Punk who Kanye so shamelessly ripped off. Also Radiohead. Especially Radiohead. It's important to note that if it's popular it's not art (except Radiohead). Why? Because if it were art then you sheeple wouldn't get it. My roommate, Dave, agrees.

"Not art" are bands I like ironically such as Boston and Molly Hatchet. Maybe even WASP.

Kanye is worse than those. He's (c)rap.

Oh, a troll, alright.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
I really liked that ballet song and visuals the most. The entire movie was pretty entertaining and the music was great, and I'm really not a fan of Kanye as a person, although I've always enjoyed his music to some extent.

If anyone else released this it would be a 'masterpiece', to goons.

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
IMO, if someone totally different came out with this exact product, it just wouldn't be the same. I think his work works even better knowing Kanye's self-image and big ego.

In particular, that his big return to the VMA's after the whole Taylor Swift was "Runaway" is why I love the guy. I was expecting some sort of ballad and maybe some sort of sweet apology. Instead, he brings us a song with a chorus that goes "let's have a toast for the douchebags..."

As for the movie, I love love love it...but man, he should have just made it dialogue-free. I really dug the first line "First rule of this world baby, don't pay attention to anything you see on the news!", but everything after that was hamfisted and cringeworthy.

So far, I think All of the Lights is my favorite new track. Such an empowering, heartmelting beat and hook.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

Anyone else wander over to the Music section of Amazon and see this? I couldn't help but laugh a little.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

If this is true....iTunes is the place to get this CD.

01 Dark Fantasy
2 Gorgeous f. KiD CuDi & Raekwon
3 Power f. Dwele
4 All Of the Lights (Interlude)
5 All Of the Lights f. Alicia Keys, Charlie Wilson, Elly Jackson, Elton John, Fergie, John Legend, KiD CuDi, Rihanna, Ryan Leslie, The-Dream & Tony Williams
6 Monster f. Jay-Z, Rick Ross, Nicki Minaj & Bon Iver
7 So Appalled f. Jay-Z, Pusha T, CyHi Da Prynce, Swizz Beatz & RZA
8 Devil In A New Dress feat. Rick Ross
9 Runaway f. Pusha T
10 Hell Of A Life
11 Blame Game f. John Legend
12 Lost In The World
13 Who Will Survive In America

and now iTunes bonus tracks

14 See Me Now f Beyonce & Charlie Wilson [Bonus]
15 Chain Heavy f M.I.A [Exclusive iTunes]
16 Momma’s Boyfriend [Exclusive iTunes]
17 Power (rmx) f. Jay-Z & Swizz Beatz [Exclusive iTunes]
18 Pure f. Mr Hudson [Exclusive iTunes]

Heard
Oct 22, 2010

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

If this is true....iTunes is the place to get this CD.

01 Dark Fantasy
2 Gorgeous f. KiD CuDi & Raekwon
3 Power f. Dwele
4 All Of the Lights (Interlude)
5 All Of the Lights f. Alicia Keys, Charlie Wilson, Elly Jackson, Elton John, Fergie, John Legend, KiD CuDi, Rihanna, Ryan Leslie, The-Dream & Tony Williams
6 Monster f. Jay-Z, Rick Ross, Nicki Minaj & Bon Iver
7 So Appalled f. Jay-Z, Pusha T, CyHi Da Prynce, Swizz Beatz & RZA
8 Devil In A New Dress feat. Rick Ross
9 Runaway f. Pusha T
10 Hell Of A Life
11 Blame Game f. John Legend
12 Lost In The World
13 Who Will Survive In America

and now iTunes bonus tracks

14 See Me Now f Beyonce & Charlie Wilson [Bonus]
15 Chain Heavy f M.I.A [Exclusive iTunes]
16 Momma’s Boyfriend [Exclusive iTunes]
17 Power (rmx) f. Jay-Z & Swizz Beatz [Exclusive iTunes]
18 Pure f. Mr Hudson [Exclusive iTunes]

Meh. I don't want mp3 quality, and I don't care for the featureds besides Charlie W. That guy Bunt mentioned he would've preferred no dialogue in the music video. I think it was instrumental because the dialogue gave Kanye a chance to voice his superstar's persona. There was a thread about this somewhere. Someone mentioned celebrities and how who they're built up to be isn't who they are. Well, Kanye can mythologize himself through his sparse dialogue, the "man's", etc. His stolid demeanor and clean cut fashion in the video add to the myth of Kanye, Kanye as figure, as symbol. I can't for the life of me recall the celebrity thread I had read. It may have even been on the pink board. There was a term used in it that adequately addresses what I'm trying to get across.

I'm a bit miffed he's doing an album with Jay-Z. Strongly dislike that rapper.

By the way, have any of you ever thought Kanye's music doesn't have good shelf life?

I listen to "Good Life", "Stronger", "Can't Tell Me Nothing", "Heard 'Em Say ft. Adam Levine", and it's dated! Those songs were hot for about six months. Now, forget about it.

Heard fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Nov 2, 2010

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

That tracklist is all but confirmed fake, btw.

Heard posted:

By the way, have any of you ever thought Kanye's music doesn't have good shelf life?

I listen to "Good Life", "Stronger", "Can't Tell Me Nothing", "Heard 'Em Say ft. Adam Levine", and it's dated! Those songs were hot for about six months. Now, forget about it.

Not at all. I still listen to CD and LR all the time, and Graduation slightly less so but still often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiritualDeath
Jul 2, 2009

shaping your brain like pottery

Heard posted:

If you're only listening to the hit singles, of course they're going to feel tied to a certain time. Are you giving any of the album tracks a chance? "Roses", IMO, is an absolute classic and I play it all the time.

SpiritualDeath fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Nov 2, 2010

• Locked thread