Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
LoL, it certainly does. Ever heard of MC Chris?

e: the song is Fettes Vette.

...and it kicks rear end.

Otis Reddit fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Apr 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

juche mane posted:

LoL, it certainly does. Ever heard of MC Chris?

e: the song is Fettes Vette.

...and it kicks rear end.

Yeah, I had to turn that off. I'm sure it was clever and all that, but I just got bored within 30 seconds.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
His Han Solo and Dengar's Dumptruck songs are way better.

http://youtu.be/00UGZcv2tNA

http://youtu.be/f1xwus4fMHM

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 9, 2014

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

SeanBeansShako posted:

The Star Wars universe version of urban space rap must sound goddamn hilarious.

I believe you mean, "hard isotope leap-jump."
:goonsay:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I suspect I'd be more into jizz.

Smooth jizz, cool jizz, hot jizz, acid jizz.

Free jizz shows tend to be a terrible mess, though.

(Seriously, who thought that was a good idea?)

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Metal Loaf posted:

I suspect I'd be more into jizz.

Smooth jizz, cool jizz, hot jizz, acid jizz.

Free jizz shows tend to be a terrible mess, though.

(Seriously, who thought that was a good idea?)

The same guy who decided Bollox was a good name for a Droid.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I'm late to the swearing-in-the-EU discussion but in the Black Fleet books (if not those, these ones where Lando spends three books in a derelict ship) he starts getting hungry and says he'd "cut my best friend down for a fracking cracker" which is why I have absolutely no problem with Disney destroying the EU.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
I think most of us don't have a problem with it per se, we just really wish that we got to keep that one, shining, red-eyed star of it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
And a few pretty good concepts not ruined by terrible writing.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

SeanBeansShako posted:

And a few pretty good concepts not ruined by terrible writing.

Also yes.

But mostly Thrawn.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Yeah, be a shame if they end up cutting Thrawn, but c'est la vie. :smith:

I consider myself lucky that the first encounter I had with the EU was with the Thrawn novels. And I still have a fondness for them.

To 8 or 9 year old me, this cover was the most rad thing ever:

X-wings, expolsions, and someone I thought was evil Obi-Wan (well, he is kinda, I guess).
Then that was followed by TIE Fighter and Dark Forces 2. Like, the best possible entrances to the EU.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Apr 13, 2014

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

ninjahedgehog posted:

I agree, there's really no need. Han says "hell" and "drat" each a couple of times in the films, you'd think that would be enough for authors to use.

And even so, at least 'kark' and 'karking' sound like actual swear words, 'kriff/kriffing' and 'brix' just sound retarded.

You forget "Sithspawn" and "Sithspit"

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Rave-fingers C'baoth was the funniest loving thing to me in 5th grade and it's still hilarious to me now.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

I've never noticed this before, but Thrawn's rear end is downright scary here.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
While I'm at it, may as well post the other two covers:

It's pretty good, albeit seemingly made up of stills from TESB and ROTJ.

Last Command is pretty goofy though.

A baked, Cro-Magnon Harrison Ford, and Carrie Fisher, glaze out over some purple hippy, while 12-year-old Mark Hamill has tiny t-rex arms.

Vogon Poet
Jun 18, 2004

Someone bought me this custom title because they think I kick ass at Photoshop. They happen to be right.

Pesky Splinter posted:

While I'm at it, may as well post the other two covers:

It's pretty good, albeit seemingly made up of stills from TESB and ROTJ.

Last Command is pretty goofy though.

A baked, Cro-Magnon Harrison Ford, and Carrie Fisher, glaze out over some purple hippy, while 12-year-old Mark Hamill has tiny t-rex arms.

I like how Zahn goes from "Hugo Award-winner" to "Hugo Award-winning author" to "the Hugo Award-winning author" over the course of the three covers.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Quick question for a little project I might be starting soon, is there a list of every Jedi who "went to the dark side to learn how to beat it" and then ended up a full-fledged Sith? I know Exar Kun, Ulic Qel-Droma, Revan and Malik, and Luke of course...how many others though?

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Pesky Splinter posted:

someone I thought was evil Obi-Wan (well, he is kinda, I guess)

If I recall, that was Zahn's original concept (a Ben clone) but Lucas vetoed it.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Silver Brushes posted:

If I recall, that was Zahn's original concept (a Ben clone) but Lucas vetoed it.

That was Obi-Two wasn't it? Probably would have been a better naming convention than Luuke to be honest.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Quick question for a little project I might be starting soon, is there a list of every Jedi who "went to the dark side to learn how to beat it" and then ended up a full-fledged Sith? I know Exar Kun, Ulic Qel-Droma, Revan and Malik, and Luke of course...how many others though?

Wookipedia, as usual. Hit up the Dark Jedi article, the scroll down to "Dark Jedi who became Sith" and you're good to go. There are a lot of the fuckers.

e: Granted, looking at it now I realize a lot of them were pretty evil in the first place and not what you were looking for, but some of 'em would count, I think.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Apr 14, 2014

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.

GodFish posted:

That was Obi-Two wasn't it? Probably would have been a better naming convention than Luuke to be honest.

I still believe that Luuke and Joruus where nothing more than a poorly implemented literary device to help the reader differentiate between the characters. You're not actually supposed to pronounce the extra vowel or anything.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium

Esroc posted:

I still believe that Luuke and Joruus where nothing more than a poorly implemented literary device to help the reader differentiate between the characters. You're not actually supposed to pronounce the extra vowel or anything.

Not according to the audiobook version :colbert:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Revan kinda did figure it out though...

Well until The Old Republic. Then he unfigured it out.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Revan kinda did figure it out though...

Yeah, following having his entire mind scrubbed out. I don't think he planned on the memory wipe happening.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Esroc posted:

No, it's called out in the first book by Thrawn when he first encounters Joruus. Basically he turns to Palleon and says "That's not C'both" When Palleon asks why he points out the mispronounciation then kinda goes "Oh, and I killed the original... :smuggo: "

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
In the first of Michael Stackpole's Rogue Squadron books, one of the battles involves assaulting an Imperial base that's nestled inside some sort of valley or mountainside basin. Apparently what they did was to identify a seam between two mountains and use Proton Torpedoes to blow a hole wide enough for starfighters to fly through - I found that weird because the expectation I had for an energy shield was that it'd just "fill in" the blank part of the "dome" it was projecting as soon as the hole was made.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 50 minutes!
Shield generators work however the author wants them to work.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

In the first of Michael Stackpole's Rogue Squadron books, one of the battles involves assaulting an Imperial base that's nestled inside some sort of valley or mountainside basin. Apparently what they did was to identify a seam between two mountains and use Proton Torpedoes to blow a hole wide enough for starfighters to fly through - I found that weird because the expectation I had for an energy shield was that it'd just "fill in" the blank part of the "dome" it was projecting as soon as the hole was made.

... If it did that then how the heck would an ATAT assault work where orbital bombardment wouldn't? (Empire Strikes Back)

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
It's been a long time since I read that book but I don't remember shields having anything to do with that part. I thought they had to blow a hole in what was basically just a giant concrete wall?

StashAugustine posted:

Shield generators work however the author wants them to work.

also this

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Weren't they blowing up a power line that was giving the shield generator its extra energy?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Calax posted:

... If it did that then how the heck would an ATAT assault work where orbital bombardment wouldn't? (Empire Strikes Back)

To be fair I never understood the whole thing about the Rebels being alerted to the Imperial fleet because they dropped out of hyperspace too close...as if them appearing further away and more slowly approaching out of hyperspace would somehow hide them better?

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

GodFish posted:

Weren't they blowing up a power line that was giving the shield generator its extra energy?

I looked it up and yeah you're right.

quote:

Wedge pointed to a faint red line linking the military base and the Biotics facility. "A tunnel that runs about one and a quarter kilometers beneath the surface of the planet links the two facilities. There is a rift valley where a ferrocrete conduit links the tunnel one side to the other. This is the weak link-the generator is too deep to blow with proton torpedoes and destroying it makes no sense if we intend to take the planet."

I knew there was something involving concrete in the description though.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Calax posted:

Can't you walk through energy shields? (See Phantom Menace)

So a ground assault would make sense if the shield generator was inside the shield.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

To be fair I never understood the whole thing about the Rebels being alerted to the Imperial fleet because they dropped out of hyperspace too close...as if them appearing further away and more slowly approaching out of hyperspace would somehow hide them better?

Best guess is that ships make some sort of easily detectable emission when they exit hyperspace, be it electromagnetic or whatever. If they'd done that at the edge of the system they might have been able to cruise in and avoid rebel sensors until a shorter distance. That's my guess anyways.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Chairman Capone posted:

Remember all those asteroids in the Hoth system? There's obviously lots of them out the way the Falcon went, and there are enough of them coming near the planet that no one was surprised when Luke reported a meteor hitting the ground nearby (which of course wasn't a meteor at all). Just imagine a radar screen full of all those rocks.

So if you're going to attack the planet, you could sneak up through the swarm, be mistaken for asteroids, and try to catch the Rebels with their pants down. (This is apparently exactly what the probe droid did.) Or you could suddenly appear in low orbit, thus alerting the Rebels that you're not definitely not asteroids, and causing them to activate all their defenses. Then you get choked by Darth Vader for not choosing the first option.

e: Suddenly remembered there's even a line of dialogue about it. Something like "With all the meteor activity in this system, it'll be difficult to spot approaching ships."

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
It's probably something to do with the ether.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

http://starwars.com/news/the-legendary-star-wars-expanded-universe-turns-a-new-page.html

quote:

In order to give maximum creative freedom to the filmmakers and also preserve an element of surprise and discovery for the audience, Star Wars Episodes VII-IX will not tell the same story told in the post-Return of the Jedi Expanded Universe. While the universe that readers knew is changing, it is not being discarded. Creators of new Star Wars entertainment have full access to the rich content of the Expanded Universe. For example, elements of the EU are included in Star Wars Rebels. The Inquisitor, the Imperial Security Bureau, and Sienar Fleet Systems are story elements in the new animated series, and all these ideas find their origins in roleplaying game material published in the 1980s.

This seems....not terrible?

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
So essentially they can pick and choose elements from the EU from over the years for the new movies/tv shows but aren't following the exact stories/timelines laid down.

Which is exactly what we figured they'd be doing.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Wonder if they'll address the "timeline" change within the EU. Seems like they could do one final "Legends" book to address the new continuity going forward.

With Zahn being in that EU vid, seems like Disney could try to sooth some of the fan anger/annoyance by getting him to do one of the big kick off novels for the new post-ROTJ series. Him doing an alt-take on his trilogy would be pretty crazy. "Mara Jade died on the way back to her home planet."

Teek fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Teek posted:

Wonder if they'll address the "timeline" change within the EU. Seems like they could do one final "Legends" book to address the new continuity going forward.

With Zahn being in that EU vid, seems like Disney could try to sooth some of the fan anger/annoyance by getting him to do one of the big kick off novels for the new post-ROTJ series. Him doing an alt-take on his trilogy would be pretty crazy. "Mara Jade died on the way back to her home planet."

No, gently caress that, Luke's got too many women in the refrigerator as it is.

api call girl posted:

They're saying to put out hits on Troy Denning now, instead of when it's too late.

e: so much angst from wookieepedia, ahahahahah

e2: "But I say we do exactly what Memory Alpha did to Abrams. Keep the original stuff right where it is, and make the Abramsverse poo poo wear a big scarlet letter A for Alternate Reality."

e3: "And someone can start Wookieepedia: The "We Don't Care About Our Fans" Wiki"

e4: Apparently the non-canon label applies to pretty much everything not just post-OT.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 25, 2014