Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

MadDogMike posted:

Yep! *sigh* Part of me wishes if they wanted to bring back a KOTOR character from the dead they'd switch to Kreia maybe, but then I consider the likely results and count myself fortunate.
Bring back Carth. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Arcadia
Jun 5, 2007

Isn't it wonderful...just like when you dream you are flying....

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Bring back Carth. :getin:

I don't want to talk about it! You're so drat persistent!!

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
"Western RPGs give me gas" - my friend when I told him I've never played a Square Enix game and that the only RPGs I've ever played are KOTOR I & II and Paper Mario

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Lady Arcadia posted:

I don't want to talk about it! You're so drat persistent!!

Still doesn't beat PURE PAZAAK PURE PAZAAK PURE PAZAAK PURE PAZAAK!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Here's the first artwork on what Daisy Ridley's character would look like:

http://makingstarwars.net/2014/09/solid-sketch-daisy-ridleys-star-wars-episode-vii-costumes/

I really dig the outfit. Also, whether or not she's Han and Leia's daughter, it does seem to indicate she's a Jedi. Which isn't too surprising if you consider this was the role that Saorise Ronan also auditioned for, since she mentioned that her audition included a lightsaber.

radlum
May 13, 2013
My friends gave me some Star Wars books for my birthday. I think they just picked them randomly and since I'm not an ungrateful jerk I want to read them. They are Darksaber by Kevin Anderson, Planet of Twilight by Barbara Hambly and Vision of the Future by Timothy Zahn.

I want to know what to expect...quality wise. I'm guessing I could start with Zahn's one since I've seen favorable comments about his work; any idea about the other two books/writers?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Draksaber and Planet of Twilight are both terrible.

Vision of the Future is great, but with the caveat that not only is it the second book in a two-book series, but it also is the book that wraps up the entire 1991-1998 Bantam novel span. So in essence not only is it the second book in a two-book series, it's the last book out of 20 or 30 or however many books were in the Bantam run. So even though I really like it, just going into it blind is probably not a good idea.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

radlum posted:

My friends gave me some Star Wars books for my birthday. I think they just picked them randomly and since I'm not an ungrateful jerk I want to read them. They are Darksaber by Kevin Anderson, Planet of Twilight by Barbara Hambly and Vision of the Future by Timothy Zahn.

I want to know what to expect...quality wise. I'm guessing I could start with Zahn's one since I've seen favorable comments about his work; any idea about the other two books/writers?

That is extremely random. Vision of the Future is by far the best, but it's also a direct sequel to a book that you would absolutely need to read first, Specter of the Past. And actually, both books are follow ups to the Thrawn (yeah, I'm kind of into them) trilogy, Heir to the Empire, Dark Force Rising, and The Last Command, and I dare say those two won't make sense at all if you haven't read those three first.

Darksaber is okay, but not great. It's kind of a follow up to another book, but only a little and that book is so terrible that you shouldn't bother. Darksaber is you could read cold and be fine.

Burn Planet of Twilight for warmth or something. It's the only way to get anything of value from it.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Thanks! I'll start with Darksaber while I try to find the rest of the Thrawn trilogy and Specter of the Past

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

radlum posted:

Thanks! I'll start with Darksaber while I try to find the rest of the Thrawn trilogy and Specter of the Past

The Thrawn Trilogy is pretty much the closest thing you'll get to a bit of the Star Wars EU that has near-universal praise. It's tremendously influential as far as the EU goes, is pretty well-written, and was basically what everyone thought of as Episodes 7-9 until Disney announced the new ones. Basically required reading for Star Wars EU.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Darksaber isn't very good, but it is pretty entertaining.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
What the hell is wrong with all of you, giving someone a copy of Darksaber is tantamount to a declaration of war

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Van Dis posted:

What the hell is wrong with all of you, giving someone a copy of Darksaber is tantamount to a declaration of war

It's pretty bad, but readable. The same cannot be said for Planet of Twilight or Children of the Jedi.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Reading over that post I thought his friends were just intentionally trolling him with terrible star wars books until I saw the Zahn novel :v:

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

thrawn527 posted:

It's pretty bad, but readable. The same cannot be said for Planet of Twilight or Children of the Jedi.
When I was young I owned Planet of Twilight on audiocassette. :negative:

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Nice username/post combo.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Flagrant Abuse posted:

I had The Crystal Star on audio cassette too :gonk:

Man that was part of the best find though when I was like 12. Out at an antique mall with my grandma and mom, and came across a booth that otherwise looked pretty boring. I opened an old wooden curio cabinet and there were stacks and stacks of Star Wars audiobooks for a buck each.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

When I was 12 to 14 my mother worked at a library and I spent a lot of time outside of school on long bus trips and at day events by myself. This was late 90s/early 2000's and I became a prolific reader, reading all of the Bantam era EU.

I remember a 40 degree (Celsius) day where I spent 4 hours in a chair by myself with only a copy of Darksaber available to pass the time. I got to page 50 and spent the rest of my time literally staring at a wall, unable to continue reading that drat book.

paint dry
Feb 8, 2005
Man, the new canon is messed up.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Eh, same old same old. Christmas In The Stars? The Holiday Special?

Now that is terrible!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I dread to think of how much money my parents must have blown on Star Wars Lego when I was little. :(

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Is that a Darth Vader Droid on the bottom?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think it's an R2 unit wearing a Christmas tree on its dome.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Just jumping back into the thread to remind everyone that both of the Han Solo trilogies are pretty fun and worth reading. I read the Daley one a few years ago and just started on the AC Crispan books.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I love the Daley trilogy. I feel like it's the work that comes closest to the original Star Wars of echoing the classic sci-fi space opera feel. You could almost believe you were reading a 1930s space opera pulp that just happened to feature Han and Chewie in it but was otherwise not related to Star Wars. The only other EU work that felt like that to me were parts of the Legacy Vol. 2 comic.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
Is Crucible any good? It's literally the only EU novel missing from my collection. I plan to pick it up regardless just to complete my EU collection, but Disney's announcement of their official stance on canon soured me and I keep putting it off.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It's incredibly whatever.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Esroc posted:

Is Crucible any good? It's literally the only EU novel missing from my collection. I plan to pick it up regardless just to complete my EU collection, but Disney's announcement of their official stance on canon soured me and I keep putting it off.

Its not horrible as an EU novel, my big complaint with it though is that it was billed as a big send-off to "the big three" and as a handoff to the next generation of EU characters and ends up being just another of the same type of stories.(side note: its hilarious to me that Jaina Solo was stuck in her parents' shadows until well into her 30s, when her mother was having badass adventures at age 20.).

That said, in retrospect, it kinda works as a capstone to the Legends EU (even though the Cade comics come chronologically after it) since it still does focus on the Han Luke Leia trinity.

Your mileage may vary, obviously, but I don't think you'd be pissing away the money on a $7.99 paperback.

chaosrefined
Dec 27, 2012

Esroc posted:

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It's incredibly whatever.

Essentially this. My gripe about the whole thing was that it was so very boring. Yeah I know it's meant to be the finale for the OT heroes, but nothing of the sort happens. Then again, it is a Troy Denning book, so at least no bug orgies occurred.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

It's probably the best Denning is capable of doing. Compared to the rest of his output it's pretty great actually. I was. Planning on returning it to Audible but kept it.

A New Dawn was alright, not amazing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Casimir Radon posted:

It's probably the best Denning is capable of doing.

I'd have said that was Tatooine Ghost. Haven't read that one in yonks, though, and I never bothered with Crucible. :shrug:

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

I've read couple of chapters of New Dawn and it's just way too YA so far (makes sense since it leads to Rebels but doesn't make it any better). But maybe it gets better and turns into bombastic start for New EU I was expecting.. Not sure if I have time to find out with so many better books to read..

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

http://www.theforce.net/story/front/Anger_Leads_To_Hate_Inside_The_Movement_To_Save_The_Expanded_Universe_160167.asp

Tantrum throwing man children will never not be funny.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

But that book sounds awesome.

A well written Tarkin might be the perfect average joe evil guy.

chaosrefined
Dec 27, 2012

That is hilarious. Were people really believing that the bloated mass of 30+ years of books, comics etc. were totally canon and up there with the films? Even poo poo like Darksaber and bug nest orgies?

Or is it just the sunk cost fallacy?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

cptn_dr posted:

Tantrum throwing man children will never not be funny.

I've been having a frustrating day, but that's cheered me up a bit.

One comment from the article:

quote:

"I won't spend one dime on Star Wars until they make it crystal clear how much money I've wasted over the past thirty years," wrote Tony Castronovo.

Like everyone else in this thread, I've coughed up for old EU books and games and comics. However, the fact that it's "non-canon" doesn't make me feel like I "wasted" my money. It seems to me a rather odd point of view. Surely one would have wasted one's money if what they bought was terrible regardless of its "canon" status?

I probably have the wrong mindset, because I was only really heavily into the EU as a teenager and I've been more of a casual fan since then. When the switch was announced I was significantly less invested in it than I would have been whatever number of years earlier.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

It weirds me out some nerds don't want to just accept what they feel is right, and would rather follow some weird rule set on what is real and what isn't.

And them I think of the people or unironically enjoyed the KJA and Travis stuff and want to drink something hardcore to forget.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Oct 8, 2014

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
If anything, I wasted a lot of time and money on Star Wars books not because they're non-canon, but because they were lovely Star Wars books. That one's my fault.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I don't understand why people get uppity about this. It's not as if Disney came in and also erased the existence of the old EU[physical copies of it that is], and it isn't like there is a great book series that hasn't been closed out already that gets ruined by this. I mean, we're getting Battlefront 3 finally, and it's probably, mostly Disney's fault its happening. edit: although I would have liked to have seen a sequel to Scoundrels and Kenobi...

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Oct 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gammatron 64 posted:

If anything, I wasted a lot of time and money on Star Wars books not because they're non-canon, but because they were lovely Star Wars books. That one's my fault.

Yeah, it's a question of retrospectivity. The money I spent on the Dark Nest Trilogy when I was 14 isn't wasted now because those books are non-canon; it was wasted then because those books were terrible.

My view is that, whatever else they do, Disney (and Marvel) is going to bring us full-sized reprints of the Dark Horse comics and omnibus-sized reprints of the classic Marvel comics. I am happy about this.

EDIT: Okay, re-reading that, it looks like a lot of people are upset with Rebels because it means Starkiller no longer founded the Rebel Alliance. Correct me if I'm incorrect, but when The Force Unleashed came out, didn't loads of people hate the idea that the Rebellion was founded by Darht Vader's heretofore unseen secret apprenctice who was written-off a contemptible Mary Sue?

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Oct 8, 2014