Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baron von der Loon
Feb 12, 2009

Awesome!
You think the clones jokingly referred to him as the commander-in-sheev?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
So, Tarkin's reviews have come out now and they are all pretty positive.

http://www.examiner.com/review/a-review-of-star-wars-tarkin

quote:

Grand Moff Tarkin is a character that's always left me asking a lot of questions. He was able to order Darth Vader around in "A New Hope" and they were quite clearly friends. When he made appearances on "Star Wars: The Clone Wars," I was excited to see Tarkin fleshed out in a forum that was canon and directly from George Lucas.

When Anakin and Tarkin seemed barely acquaintanced and came to an almost begrudging respect for each other, I wondered how their relationship would develop into something that more resembled the relationship they had in the Star Wars films. When Tarkin played the part he did in Ahsoka's ultimate fate, I was doubly curious.

This book, written by James Luceno (who brought such life and depth to Palpatine and Plagueis in "Darth Plagueis"), bridges many of those gaps that had been plaguing my mind. Set about five years after the purge of the Jedi in "Revenge of the Sith," Tarkin is stationed on a remote outpost, overseeing some aspects of the construction of a secret Imperial project that anyone with half a brain recognizes as the first dreaded Death Star.

Tarkin is able to brilliantly foil a surprise dissident attack on the outpost he's stationed at and is immediately summoned to Coruscant to meet with his old friend, Sheev Palpatine. There, Palpatine orders him to get to the bottom of the plot and assigns his new apprentice, Darth Vader, to aid in the investigation.

The investigation, with all of its exciting twists and turns, is intercut with biographical stories from Tarkin's childhood and the summers he spent, forced to brave the wild savannah of Eriadu. I was concerned when I began reading that these sections would be devoid of excitement, but they read much like Hemingway's tales of Africa, playing 100% to my own sensibilities. The investigation itself feels much like one of Peter Cushing's "Sherlock Holmes" pictures with Vader playing the skeptical enforcer version of Watson. Other Hammer Horror films are given their due, and a scene between Count Dooku and Tarkin, harkens back to a time when Cushing and Christopher Lee would spar verbally on film. It put a great smile on my face to see those two reunited again, and in the galaxy far, far away, no less.

Since we've been given so little material set during the Dark Times between "Episode III" and "Episode IV," Luceno is given a free hand to explore some of the smaller details in that transitional period that had nagged at me. What happened to the Jedi Temple in that period? What control does Palpatine exert via bureaucracy since his superstation Did the galaxy know of Anakin Skywalker's turn to Darth Vader? Or was that kept a secret? How did Tarkin truly feel about Ahsoka after that entire debacle? All of these questions and more are answered in a book I simply didn't want to put down.

For some "Star Wars" fans, this book might not work. If you're expecting to read about characters like Ackbar and Daala, they're not here. This is a fresh take on Tarkin in a post-Clone Wars, post-Expanded Universe "Star Wars." But for me, not as attached to many of those old details of the Expanded Universe, and given a novel that pays homage to many of my favorite literary and cinematic influences, I couldn't read it fast enough. Luceno wholly captures the voice of Peter Cushing, who I read alternately in my head as Stephen Stanton's Tarkin and Peter Cushing's interpretation of Sherlock Holmes. This is the highest and best distillation of Tarkin stories, old and new, we've ever been given.

It's a quick read, too, brisk in pace. You don't want to leave it, and when it ended I found myself wanting to delve deeper into Tarkin, which is a character I never paid much attention to before. For me, this book is another home-run in the new canon, and I hope they find a way to bring Luceno back for another crack at "Plagueis," folding many of its stories into the canon timeline.

On a sidenote: I would also recommend that you watch "The Clone Wars" in its entirety before reading this book, including the four new story episodes released on StarWars.com. Though this book contextualizes everything you need, you'll get a greater depth if you're more familiar with the canon.

Overall: it's a 9 out of 10. Easily. It pushed all of the right buttons of influence for me and showed me something new in "Star Wars" which is not something that always happens.

"Star Wars: Tarkin" comes out November 4, 2014 and is available for pre-order now.

http://topoftheheapreviews.com/review-star-wars-tarkin-james-luceno/

http://tosche-station.net/review-star-wars-tarkin/

http://www.alternativenation.net/star-wars-tarkin-review/

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I have to admit, as much as I hate Daala, I am kind of sad Luceno didn't work her in even winkingly.

Also the bit about the Jedi Temple makes me wonder if the new canon is going to go the route of the ANH Infinities comic and have it be converted into the Imperial Palace, an idea I always liked since it worked so well with Palpatine gloating over his victory against the Jedi.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

That actually sounds really cool, not that I'd expect anything less from Luceno.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

So I have a very angry friend on Facebook, apparently.

quote:

Dear Disney, come the day I have kids I will not give you a penny. You may own the license to Star Wars, but making the acclamation that anything and everything within the expanded universe of Star Wars is bull and void to your financial benefit is null and void is complete bullshit. Thrawn was amazing, the emperor's resurrection was amazing, tales of the bounty hunters was amazing, and I could go on and on and on. Thus, in the same manor you've extended to die hard Star Wars fans, I hope your company goes bankrupt and you, you family and your offspring suffer a long agonizing, cancerous life span. You may be a multi-million dollar company, but I loving dare you re-write nerd history. You gluttonous, pompous, pretentious bastards. Go go Deadmau5, sue their asses. Make them run that EBT card

I assume this was a reaction to Sheev.

Edit: and it was deleted.

Drone fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Oct 27, 2014

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

"Thrawn was amazing,"
Agreed.
"the emperor's resurrection was amazing,"
Well...
"tales of the bounty hunters was amazing,"
:yikes:

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Caedus was amazing.
Bugnest orgies were amazing.
That rabbit guy who replaced Chewie was amazing.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
So what I don't get is Disney wipes away nearly all of the EU with all its baggage and lightsaber armor, and yet they allow the big bad guy on Rebels to have not just a saberstaff but one that rotates into a spinning lightsaber wheel o' death.

I guess this has been known since July and the comic-con footage but seriously?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6GxTMpyjls

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

StashAugustine posted:

"tales of the bounty hunters was amazing,"
:yikes:

The Boba Fett story by Daniel Keys Moran was pretty good. I liked the Dengar one as well. Beyond that, they were bad to mediocre (aside from the two I mentioned, my dominant memory of that book is IG-88 uploading himself into the Death Star's computer core, so when you watched the Battle of Endor in ROTJ and the Death Star's blowing up Rebel ships, it's actually one of the ESB bounty hunters doing it).

EDIT: (Because I can't seem to shut up about this.)

Seriously, all those stories still exist and you can still enjoy them. Disney, as far as I am aware, has no intention of pulling, say, the Thrawn trilogy from publication, and in fact have created an entire new label (the Legends brand) under which they will continue to be published.

I just can't seem to understand (and mind you, I'm saying this as someone for whom the Star Wars Expanded Universe was a very significant part of my adolescence) why the fact that it's no longer "canon" means it's become retroactively worse or harder to enjoy. If the stories are terrible or the concepts are stupid (and I'm sure many of them will be), by all means, let them have it over that, but I can't help but feel that "canonicity" is a really quite silly issue to take.

My favourite part of the EU? As I've said many, many times, it's the Republic comic book series. Said series is no longer "canon" and, even before the "reboot" happened, a lot of it had technically been "overridden" by TCW (which I also liked a lot). Those comics still exist. I can still enjoy them and I still do enjoy them.

I'm probably being really unfair. Sorry. :shrug:

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Oct 27, 2014

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Not gonna lie, that is dumb as hell.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Tales from Mos Eisley Cantina was generally pretty good though.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Drone posted:

I like that one the best, some of the less silly stuff in Jabba's Palace is also okay.

buffybot
Nov 7, 2002

Drone posted:

This one was the best. Tales from the Empire was also good, if I remember right. It had a Zahn-Stackpole collaboration story that was pretty good.

Metal Loaf posted:

I just can't seem to understand (and mind you, I'm saying this as someone for whom the Star Wars Expanded Universe was a very significant part of my adolescence) why the fact that it's no longer "canon" means it's become retroactively worse or harder to enjoy.

I think it's denial so that people don't have to admit a large portion of the EU was garbage and painful to read. As a Star Wars book nerd, you tend to get picked on a lot, even by other Star Wars fans. So you're working against years of having to fervently defend the books as being a legitimate part of the Star Wars universe. I know I made myself read all of those terrible, terrible KJA books back in the 90s just so I wouldn't be spoiled by another book later in the timeline that would data dump the entire plot of those books in a paragraph or so (which was also terrible in a different way).

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Takin' this from the SWTOR thread

quote:

quote:

The day has finally come and the holy grail of classic gaming has arrived on GOG.com. Welcome, Lucasfilm games! You are among friends, here! We're proud to announce a new partnership with ©Disney that allows for the DRM-free release of about 30 classic titles from the cult-classic developer. We know you waited long for this moment, so we want to reunite you with those golden oldies with as little delay as possible. Today, to start with a bang, we are releasing a selection of 6 acclaimed titles from Lucas' most famous gaming franchises, so that the Disney/Lucasfilm catalog on GOG.com is made impressive from day one. Here are the great titles you can get right away:

Star Wars™: X-Wing Special Edition - digital distribution debut, on GOG.com!
Star Wars™: TIE Fighter Special Edition - digital distribution debut, on GOG.com!
Sam & Max Hit the Road - digital distribution debut, on GOG.com!
The Secret of Monkey Island™: Special Edition
Indiana Jones® and the Fate of Atlantis™
Star Wars®: Knights of the Old Republic

Note that numerous Lucas titles, including 3 from the launch lineup (Sam & Max Hit the Road, Star Wars™: X-Wing Special Edition, Star Wars™: TIE Fighter Special Edition), are available digitally for the first time ever, ready to play with no fuss on modern operating systems. With more fantastic titles headed for our Disney/Lucasfilm catalog, you can expect to see Lucas games popping up frequently on GOG.com in the coming months.

e: vv hah!

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Oct 28, 2014

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Just throwing it out, Tie Fighter and Xwing are getting re-released by Good Old Games finally.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Hell yeah an excuse to dust off my USB joystick!

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Metal Loaf posted:

The Boba Fett story by Daniel Keys Moran was pretty good. I liked the Dengar one as well. Beyond that, they were bad to mediocre (aside from the two I mentioned, my dominant memory of that book is IG-88 uploading himself into the Death Star's computer core, so when you watched the Battle of Endor in ROTJ and the Death Star's blowing up Rebel ships, it's actually one of the ESB bounty hunters doing it).

The best part of the book, barring the two you mentioned, was IG loving with the Emperor and closing doors on him.

buffybot
Nov 7, 2002
Finally. Now I have an excuse to get another joystick. I broke my last one playing TIE Fighter. You could patch the games to play on a modern PC, but it didn't recognize the z-axis so joysticks never quite worked correctly.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Where's that leak from? The announcement isn't supposed to be for another 12 hours.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

A bunch of official release GOG forum threads appeared before they were supposed to; they're gone now but they were up long enough for more than a few gaming forums and press outlets to pick it up.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Cross-Section posted:

A bunch of official release GOG forum threads appeared before they were supposed to; they're gone now but they were up long enough for more than a few gaming forums and press outlets to pick it up.

And the internet has already cried out in collective ecstasy.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

GOG.com is on the verge of success.

I actually never played X-Wing/Tie Fighter, so I'm looking forward to it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Drone posted:

GOG.com is on the verge of success.

I actually never played X-Wing/Tie Fighter, so I'm looking forward to it.

On the verge? This is just the latest in a string of awesome things done by GOG. They weren't some fly-by-night shitshow before now or anything.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

jivjov posted:

On the verge? This is just the latest in a string of awesome things done by GOG. They weren't some fly-by-night shitshow before now or anything.

I was paraphrasing the famous opening of Tie Fighter :ssh:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Drone posted:

I was paraphrasing the famous opening of Tie Fighter :ssh:

Ahh, I was wondering what that sudden breeze was. Turns out it was your joke flying clear over my head. I never had TIE Fighter as a kid, only X-Wing.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

jivjov posted:

Their public relations have left something to be desired in the past. Like when they pretended to be shutting down, or when they gave out hints to upcoming publishers a few years ago that sounded like Lucasarts, but were much less exciting. they're still an awesome company though.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

And they're out. Hopefully they've got it rigged so joysticks work properly. DosBox on its own doesn't have a deadzone setting.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
This release is awesome. I knew I kept lugging this old joystick around through multiple moves for a reason.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I heard the news about X-Wing and TIE Fighter this morning. I don't know the last time I owned a flight stick.

Any news about X-Wing vs TIE Fighter or X-Wing: Alliance?

Lurken
Nov 10, 2012
I am so much worse at TIE fighter than when I was in 2nd grade...

So my game isn't registering me twisting the flight stick to spin my craft. Is this fixable, or do I just have to live with this?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Lurken posted:

I am so much worse at TIE fighter than when I was in 2nd grade...

So my game isn't registering me twisting the flight stick to spin my craft. Is this fixable, or do I just have to live with this?

That's just not a feature that X-Wing and TIE Fighter were programmed to have. They handle rolling by holding a button and then using the regular X axis motion. I mapped mine to my stick's pinky trigger.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

So according to released concept art, the villain of Episode VII is going to have a "light broadsword" where the handles on the hilt are mini-lightsabers.

http://www.starwarsunderworld.com/2014/10/rumor-star-wars-episode-vii-villain.html

So between this and the spinning double lightsaber from Rebels, I'm glad the new Disney canon is keeping up the Legends trend of "really dumb over the top lightsaber designs".

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

http://www.pcgamer.com/star-wars-battlefront-coming-holiday-2015-next-battlefield-game-a-year-later/

BATTLEFIELD 6 IN 2016!

also I guess Battlefront 3 will be around christmas of next year... or what ever..

As much as I like the Battlefront series there's a reason :dice:'s icon exists so really expect a playable version of Battlefront in the middle of 2016 as well.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Oct 29, 2014

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Chairman Capone posted:

So according to released concept art, the villain of Episode VII is going to have a "light broadsword" where the handles on the hilt are mini-lightsabers.

http://www.starwarsunderworld.com/2014/10/rumor-star-wars-episode-vii-villain.html

So between this and the spinning double lightsaber from Rebels, I'm glad the new Disney canon is keeping up the Legends trend of "really dumb over the top lightsaber designs".

Wow that's six different kinds of stupid.

But that's what I've come to expect, I guess.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

gently caress the haters, lightsaber broadsword is cool as hell.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
If the hilt wasn't made of tiny lightsabers, yeah, I'd agree. I really hope that didn't make it into the movie.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Aside from the mini lightsabers in the hilt that'd make it a loving danger to the person using it more, It isn't a bad idea design wise.

We've seen worse.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

SeanBeansShako posted:

Aside from the mini lightsabers in the hilt that'd make it a loving danger to the person using it more, It isn't a bad idea design wise.

We've seen worse.

It's gonna be hard to top the on-screen stupidity of Grievous and his helicopter-sabers.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Chairman Capone posted:

It's been done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Looks like a lightsaber version of Sundowner's scissor swords.