Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Metal Loaf posted:

I believe the guy I was describing used the screen name "Darth Grandiloquous" but they could very well be the same person.

What I've learned over the past years is there are a lot of people who apparently unironically believe all of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Been reading Tarkin and I'm enjoining it so far. One tiny thing I like is that the chapters actually have names now. I stopped reading after NJO so I'm guessing this is new?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Nckdictator posted:

Been reading Tarkin and I'm enjoining it so far. One tiny thing I like is that the chapters actually have names now. I stopped reading after NJO so I'm guessing this is new?
Not as a trend, a few of the books since then might have done it from what I can remember.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
If any of you nerds are interested, I'm selling the complete X-Wing Rogue/Wraith Squadron series* (with I, Jedi thrown in) over in SA Mart.

I'll just give you the drat Klingon dictionaries if you buy the set.

*They haven't came out with any new ones in like ten years, right?

Strong Mouse
Jun 11, 2012

You disrespect us. You drag corpses around. You steal, and you hurt feelings!

RRRRRRRAAAAARGH!

Prepare to die!

Pompous Rhombus posted:

If any of you nerds are interested, I'm selling the complete X-Wing Rogue/Wraith Squadron series* (with I, Jedi thrown in) over in SA Mart.

I'll just give you the drat Klingon dictionaries if you buy the set.

*They haven't came out with any new ones in like ten years, right?

A newer one came out in 2012 or 13 called Mercy Kill that took place during or after Fate of the Jedi.

e: Released in 2012, takes place during the last Fate of the Jedi book, and is the last Rogue/Wraith book (probably)

e2: and is also a fairly decent book. I enjoyed it at least

Strong Mouse fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Nov 10, 2014

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2q6utsksoFY

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Got to the part in Tarkin that "Sheev" is spoken. Doesn't seem necessary and Luceno established that Palps hated his given name, so I wonder if the Story Group told him to do it.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Casimir Radon posted:

Got to the part in Tarkin that "Sheev" is spoken. Doesn't seem necessary and Luceno established that Palps hated his given name, so I wonder if the Story Group told him to do it.

Wait, Palpatine's given name is "Sheev"?!? :psyboom:

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world

Look at this face. That is the face of a Sheev.
Edit: It's short for Sheeven. Sheeven Palpatine.

Hiro Protagonist fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 11, 2014

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Edit: It's short for Sheeven. Sheeven Palpatine.

Can't help but think but think of this scene from The Cable Guy

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
If Palpatine shows up in the new movies I want them to work in a line about how him and Luke are even, Sheeven.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

Can't help but think but think of this scene from The Cable Guy

I imagine his reaction is this when it is used in present company.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Just a few EU things that have shown up in Tarkin:
Gromas and Phrik
Ubiqtorate
Armand Isard

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

Hiro Protagonist posted:

It's short for Stephen. Stephen Baldwin.
That's all I could see, I swear.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

Just a few EU things that have shown up in Tarkin:
Gromas and Phrik
Ubiqtorate
Armand Isard

I'm still making my way through it, but there are a ton more, too.

Really, other than the Jedi Temple/Imperial Palace, Amedda as Grand Vizier, and the new streamlined Death Star history, everything else seems like it's basically in line with the old EU. Which isn't too surprising considering it's Luceno and was probably pretty significantly underway by the time the new canon decision was made.

Lurken
Nov 10, 2012
Don't forget the gunboats from TIE fighter!

At least, that's what I choose to believe every mention of an imperial or republic gunboat is referring to

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

I'm still making my way through it, but there are a ton more, too.

Really, other than the Jedi Temple/Imperial Palace, Amedda as Grand Vizier, and the new streamlined Death Star history, everything else seems like it's basically in line with the old EU. Which isn't too surprising considering it's Luceno and was probably pretty significantly underway by the time the new canon decision was made.
I kind of think it wasn't. Pretty sure A New Dawn and Tarkin were both ordered post decision.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

They were first announced with the canon reboot back in April, there's no way they weren't being worked on before then if they're coming out on September/November. And we know for a fact that at least one of the books announced then (Heir to the Jedi) had its manuscript finished before the canon reboot, and was even originally part of an old-canon trilogy.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
You know, if they're going to make crazy new lightsabers, the least they could do is make like, a light spear or axe or glaive or scythe or something. Gundam has been doing that for years!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

God dammit, now that's all I can see, too.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

They were first announced with the canon reboot back in April, there's no way they weren't being worked on before then if they're coming out on September/November. And we know for a fact that at least one of the books announced then (Heir to the Jedi) had its manuscript finished before the canon reboot, and was even originally part of an old-canon trilogy.
That's when they announced it, they'd probably been working out the details for months before that.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Oops

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

:byodood:

franco
Jan 3, 2003

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Edit: It's short for Roddy. Roddy McDowall.

code:
Fixed this for you.
      \

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
Maybe so, but "Roddy" doesn't rhyme with "Sheeven" very well.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

I've always been put off from reading Star Wars books mostly because of just how many books there were, so I'm one of the few who seems to actually be happy about this restart of the expanded universe (basically allowing me to get into it while it's just starting).

I got both New Dawn and Tarkin today. Should I be reading them in publication order or are they fine to read in any order? (I'm guessing they're both completely unrelated, but just wanted to make sure there's no plot points or anything carried between them that would benefit from reading in publication order).

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Keeku posted:

I've always been put off from reading Star Wars books mostly because of just how many books there were, so I'm one of the few who seems to actually be happy about this restart of the expanded universe (basically allowing me to get into it while it's just starting).

I got both New Dawn and Tarkin today. Should I be reading them in publication order or are they fine to read in any order? (I'm guessing they're both completely unrelated, but just wanted to make sure there's no plot points or anything carried between them that would benefit from reading in publication order).

Completely unrelated. Read Tarkin if you're more in the mood for a slow methodical political story, read New Dawn if you're more up for a classic action adventure.

Be advised that despite the reboot, Tarkin contains tons of references to the EU and The Clone Wars, which, depending on your fandom, might make you happy or make the book near incomprehensible at certain times.

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Dave Syndrome posted:

Be advised that despite the reboot, Tarkin contains tons of references to the EU and The Clone Wars, which, depending on your fandom, might make you happy or make the book near incomprehensible at certain times.

I've watched most of the Clone Wars series, but have not read much of the old EU except for a couple books when I was a kid. Hopefully it won't be a problem...

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Keeku posted:

I've watched most of the Clone Wars series, but have not read much of the old EU except for a couple books when I was a kid. Hopefully it won't be a problem...

Not so much of a problem per se, but with Luceno you sometimes wonder why he feels the need to show off how much he knows about Star Wars. When describing a starship, it's never enough to say that it's similar to one type of other ship, it has to be similar to three different kinds. When describing the location of a planet, it's never "near Tatooine", but "near Tatooine, not far from the Hapes Cluster and 112 parsecs from the Hydian Way in the Greater Seswenna" or something unwieldy like that. (I know that probably makes no sense if you look at a galaxy map, I made this example up to illustrate a point and I'm too lazy to look up actual quotes.)
Add to that his compulsion to reference events from both his previous novels and the TV show (even though they almost never have any bearing on the plot at hand), and you get a lot of clutter that even to someone who knows the EU seems like the kid at the front of the class constantly raising his hand and going "Please, teacher, pick me! Look how clever I am!"
To someone who hasn't read a lot of EU stuff, I can only imagine it feels pretty bewildering. "Will this bit be important later on? Why is he mentioning it?" Because he can.

I'm sure there are people who love that kind of stuff, but to me the storytelling suffers because of it.

Dave Syndrome fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Nov 19, 2014

Keeku
Jun 3, 2005

Dave Syndrome posted:

I'm sure there are people who love that kind of stuff, but to me the storytelling suffers because of it.

Ah yeah I get what you mean. I appreciate the heads up on that and will keep it in mind as I'm reading it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dave Syndrome posted:

Not so much of a problem per se, but with Luceno you sometimes wonder why he feels the need to show off how much he knows about Star Wars. When describing a starship, it's never enough to say that it's similar to one type of other ship, it has to be similar to three different kinds. When describing the location of a planet, it's never "near Tatooine", but "near Tatooine, not far from the Hapes Cluster and 112 parsecs from the Hydian Way in the Greater Seswenna" or something unwieldy like that. (I know that probably makes no sense if you look at a galaxy map, I made this example up to illustrate a point and I'm too lazy to look up actual quotes.)

I'm not sure if it's necessarily "showing off" (or at least it doesn't seem like he's showing off on purpose) so much as it is Luceno trying to add some element of depth or verisimilitude to the series and making the setting feel "lived-in". To me, it's not especially different from references to the spice mines of Kessel, the dissolution of the Imperial Senate or even Han Solo off-handedly commenting that he can even outrun "the big Correllian ships" in the dialogue of A New Hope. These references aren't explained, but they're evocative; it helps to create the impression that there's a wide world beyond the protagonists.

(Of course, as you observe, not everyone likes that in the first place; maybe it's just easier to slip naturally into the dialogue in a movie than it is to incorporate it into the narration in a prose story. I can't write, so I can't tell.)

Maybe it's not always elegantly done when Luceno does it, but it seems to me as though it's just a feature of how he writes in general and his world-building sensibilities (which I think are influenced a lot by Frank Herbert's Dune) in particular; indeed, it's my understanding Luceno received similar criticism when he was co-writing the Robotech adaptations with Brian Daley in the 1980s.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Nov 19, 2014

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

I'll admit that I'm curious about what kind of changes the new canon will make to Space Geography and scale, and whether the Disney-era storygroup will bother establishing that stuff to the same degree. This is mostly because I enjoy the Star Wars franchise's long, proud history of accidentally blundering into cool ideas while trying to flesh out those peripheral matters.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Well, Tarkin has already changed things by placing Naboo in the Outer Rim and making it so that it, Tatooine, and Eriadu are all close to each other.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

Metal Loaf posted:

I'm not sure if it's necessarily "showing off" (or at least it doesn't seem like he's showing off on purpose) so much as it is Luceno trying to add some element of depth or verisimilitude to the series and making the setting feel "lived-in". To me, it's not especially different from references to the spice mines of Kessel, the dissolution of the Imperial Senate or even Han Solo off-handedly commenting that he can even outrun "the big Correllian ships" in the dialogue of A New Hope. These references aren't explained, but they're evocative; it helps to create the impression that there's a wide world beyond the protagonists.

(Of course, as you observe, not everyone likes that in the first place; maybe it's just easier to slip naturally into the dialogue in a movie than it is to incorporate it into the narration in a prose story. I can't write, so I can't tell.)

Maybe it's not always elegantly done when Luceno does it, but it seems to me as though it's just a feature of how he writes in general and his world-building sensibilities (which I think are influenced a lot by Frank Herbert's Dune) in particular; indeed, it's my understanding Luceno received similar criticism when he was co-writing the Robotech adaptations with Brian Daley in the 1980s.

This is what made the Robotech novels good.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

There's a guy posting in the TheForce.Net thread for the Tarkin novel who seems to be autistic or something, he keeps talking about how Tarkin isn't a villain because Cushing didn't portray him that way and the movie trying to make him seem like a villain is because Lucas was distorting the "real" Tarkin...whatever that means. It's bizarre and creepy even by TFN poster standards.

Also Marvel released the second cover to their new Darth Vader comic and already the variant shows Vader fighting Doctor Doom. Surprised they didn't just start off the crossovers with the first issue.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
At my last job I heard a story about some coworkers who decided to start a thread on a Star Wars fansite - I think it was TFN - theorizing about the identity of Han's mysterious friend 'Dustin Crops'. People went batshit trying to explain it to them. Unfortunately I can't find the thread Googling around a bit :(

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

General Battuta posted:

At my last job I heard a story about some coworkers who decided to start a thread on a Star Wars fansite - I think it was TFN - theorizing about the identity of Han's mysterious friend 'Dustin Crops'. People went batshit trying to explain it to them. Unfortunately I can't find the thread Googling around a bit :(

Heheh. Dustin Crops, co-pilot of Manny Boffins. This was during the rule of Frank Palpatine, if I remember correctly.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Dave Syndrome posted:

Heheh. Dustin Crops, co-pilot of Manny Boffins. This was during the rule of Frank Palpatine, if I remember correctly.

When the galaxy feared the mighty warlord, Nooch Vader.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Oh, is this some tired Family Guy joke or something :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

General Battuta posted:

Oh, is this some tired Family Guy joke or something :ohdear:

Manny Boffins died to get those Death Star plans. Have some respect :911: