Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

VaultAggie posted:

The eclipse is only cool when it shows up in Forces of Corruption. And that's because you get to use it to blow away a super star destroyer and a ton of other ships.

That was a pretty fun mission. How many SSDs were there in existence anyways?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
At least four. Lusankya, Iron Fist, the one Isard tries to steal in Isard's Revenge, and Guardian that rams a worldship just after the fall of Coruscant in the NJO. The last one is rather amusing, because Wedge is in command, told specifically he's only there to buy time and lose, and then wins even while trying to lose because Wedge.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
AFAIK Guardian was either Lusankya or the ship Isard tried to steal.

Razor's Kiss was another one, Zsinj tried to steal it from KDY but it got blown up on the way out.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
And of course, Executor. So, at least five just of the Executor-class, potentially one more off the top of our heads, and probably a few more beyond that

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Daala had one too at some point.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

astr0man posted:

Daala had one too at some point.

FotJ? Otherwise no.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

ruby idiot railed posted:

FotJ? Otherwise no.

Just looked it up, it was in everyone's favorite novel Darksaber. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Knight_Hammer

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

ruby idiot railed posted:

FotJ? Otherwise no.

Darksaber. So yes.

E: Beaten.

dublish fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 16, 2014

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

astr0man posted:

Just looked it up, it was in everyone's favorite novel Darksaber. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Knight_Hammer

dublish posted:

Darksaber. So yes.

On the whole I'm gonna say it's a good thing I forgot that book existed.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Crix Madine agrees.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Metal Loaf posted:

Question: Here's the cover art for Star Wars Tales #17. We have Darth Vader, Darth Maul, Palpatine, Dooku, Asajj Ventress (then a new character for Genndy Tartakovsky's Clone Wars series), Mother Talzin (around six or seven years before hier first appearance in the CGI Clone Wars series; I think at this point she was just unused Darth Maul concept art) and this other guy in the front. Does anyone know who the guy in front is, if anyone?

At a guess, either Finn the Sith Lord or the unnamed Sith from "All for You".

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Metal Loaf posted:

Question: Here's the cover art for Star Wars Tales #17. We have Darth Vader, Darth Maul, Palpatine, Dooku, Asajj Ventress (then a new character for Genndy Tartakovsky's Clone Wars series), Mother Talzin (around six or seven years before hier first appearance in the CGI Clone Wars series; I think at this point she was just unused Darth Maul concept art) and this other guy in the front. Does anyone know who the guy in front is, if anyone?

From way back in the day on the Dark Horse forums, I think it was supposed to be Darth Bane.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

Strobe posted:

At least four. Lusankya, Iron Fist, the one Isard tries to steal in Isard's Revenge, and Guardian that rams a worldship just after the fall of Coruscant in the NJO. The last one is rather amusing, because Wedge is in command, told specifically he's only there to buy time and lose, and then wins even while trying to lose because Wedge.

pointless nitpick: Lusankya is the one that Isard tries to get and also the one Wedge uses as a blunt instrument. Guardian only succumbs to the Disneycalypse.

There's sixteen (16) (!) of them identified as Executor-class. I have the list in my copy of EGTW, if anyone cares.

Also, CRIX MADINE LIVES

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Here's a strange, somewhat related question I've always wanted to ask. How do you pronounce Executor, as in the Star Destroyer class? As a kid, I always said it like Executive, but when I got older my friends all pronounced it like someone who Executes people. They told me I was wrong, and since they never say it in the movies I had no way to defend my way so I assumed I was wrong.

The spelling could go either way.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
It's like executive

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/executor

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I win. Awesome, thanks!

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

Here's a strange, somewhat related question I've always wanted to ask. How do you pronounce Executor, as in the Star Destroyer class? As a kid, I always said it like Executive, but when I got older my friends all pronounced it like someone who Executes people. They told me I was wrong, and since they never say it in the movies I had no way to defend my way so I assumed I was wrong.

The spelling could go either way.

The only reason I know how to pronounce "executor" is because of StarCraft.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

ecureuilmatrix posted:

pointless nitpick: Lusankya is the one that Isard tries to get and also the one Wedge uses as a blunt instrument. Guardian only succumbs to the Disneycalypse.

There's sixteen (16) (!) of them identified as Executor-class. I have the list in my copy of EGTW, if anyone cares.

Also, CRIX MADINE LIVES

Hit me, I'm curious. I've only been able to come up with 14, which includes ones from games like empire at war and rebel assault.

Executor, lusankya, guardian, terror, vengeance, reaper, Annihilator, brawl/iron fist, knight hammer, intimidator, aggressor, razor kiss, whelm, and the stealth one from rebel assault.

:negative:

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

VaultAggie posted:

Hit me, I'm curious. I've only been able to come up with 14, which includes ones from games like empire at war and rebel assault.

Executor, lusankya, guardian, terror, vengeance, reaper, Annihilator, brawl/iron fist, knight hammer, intimidator, aggressor, razor kiss, whelm, and the stealth one from rebel assault.

:negative:
Eh that's basically the most important ones, the rest is details and footnotes of little weight.

Stealth RA2 one is Terror, so the missing three:

Fondor shipyard no-name one from RogueSquad III, X1's unnamed from Battlefront, Enforcer from of the really really obscure RPGs that lived in canon limbo.

Along with dozens of ambiguous "Super Star Destroyer" mentions that were never clarified, because good lord the Executor is a nitpicking powderkeg.

<nerd>

Movies: Executor

Books: Iron Fist (Zsinj's baby), Lusankya (Isard's, Vongshanked), Guardian (Drommel's, then Ackbar's), Intimidator (Yevetha), Razor's Kiss (Kuati), Reaper (Kaine's, then Pellaeon's), (K)Night Hammer (Daala's, for about a week, because Daa:lol:a)

Supplements: Aggressor (some supplement), Whelm (from CatCW), Enforcer

Video games: Terror, Vengeance (not Jerec's, but another), Annihilator, (X1's unnamed one), Fondor's uncommissioned one

</nerd> :negative: :negative:

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
As a kid, I would always say Executor like Executioner, the "Execute-er", and it wasn't until later that I realized it was pronounced like executive. "Exec-u-tor."

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Like many things, I learned it from Pokémon (Exeggutor :v:).

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I'm into the third season of Clone Wars and am finding myself wishing I'd given it a chance when it was still on, it really is good. Of course I wouldn't be able to marathon through it like I can today. Probably my favorite thing so far was in the second or so Mandalore episode Bad guy is threatening to blow up the ship, Duchess Satine doesn't want to kill him because of pacifistic beliefs, Obi-Wan is afraid that killing him will wreck his relationship with Satine. Moral dilemma ends when Anakin shows up out of nowhere and stabs the guy in the back. *Cue really short Darth Vader musical cue.

Also it looks really nice. For airing on tv, it looks like a feature film 90% of the time.

EDIT: And now whacky Mortis poo poo happens.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Dec 17, 2014

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Casimir Radon posted:

I'm into the third season of Clone Wars and am finding myself wishing I'd given it a chance when it was still on, it really is good. Of course I wouldn't be able to marathon through it like I can today. Probably my favorite thing so far was in the second or so Mandalore episode Bad guy is threatening to blow up the ship, Duchess Satine doesn't want to kill him because of pacifistic beliefs, Obi-Wan is afraid that killing him will wreck his relationship with Satine. Moral dilemma ends when Anakin shows up out of nowhere and stabs the guy in the back. *Cue really short Darth Vader musical cue.

Also it looks really nice. For airing on tv, it looks like a feature film 90% of the time.

EDIT: And now whacky Mortis poo poo happens.

Yeah...Mortis is kinda bullshit. I kinda liked where they were starting to go with it, tying it in to Fate of the Jedi and whatnot...but just based off what we got, its weird existential BS. Also, the season 3 boxset had a special feature that was hyped in marketing called "The Secrets of Mortis". If you select that featurette...you are treated to a 2 minute video of "So you thought you were going to learn the Secrets of Mortis? Too bad. They're secret, and mysterious."

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

jivjov posted:

Yeah...Mortis is kinda bullshit. I kinda liked where they were starting to go with it, tying it in to Fate of the Jedi and whatnot...but just based off what we got, its weird existential BS. Also, the season 3 boxset had a special feature that was hyped in marketing called "The Secrets of Mortis". If you select that featurette...you are treated to a 2 minute video of "So you thought you were going to learn the Secrets of Mortis? Too bad. They're secret, and mysterious."
I really despise anything to do with Abeloth, though in this case it was probably an afterthought. I caught a few minutes of it back when it was on and it probably kept me from deciding to get into the show at the time.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I kinda like the Mortis arc as a bizarre sort of sidestory what-if kind of thing...but I'm really of two minds about how it fits as part of the greater Legends continuity. If Del Rey had gotten to explore it more in another series beyond Crucible, I'd probably be more charitable toward it.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Casimir Radon posted:

Probably my favorite thing so far was in the second or so Mandalore episode Bad guy is threatening to blow up the ship, Duchess Satine doesn't want to kill him because of pacifistic beliefs, Obi-Wan is afraid that killing him will wreck his relationship with Satine. Moral dilemma ends when Anakin shows up out of nowhere and stabs the guy in the back. *Cue really short Darth Vader musical cue.

Easily one of my favorite moments from the entire series, especially with that music cue.

That episode also has the great scene with a probe droid using a dead clone trooper as a puppet to lure his comrades to him.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

jivjov posted:

I kinda like the Mortis arc as a bizarre sort of sidestory what-if kind of thing...but I'm really of two minds about how it fits as part of the greater Legends continuity. If Del Rey had gotten to explore it more in another series beyond Crucible, I'd probably be more charitable toward it.

For those who know the old Marvel comics, I always thought of the Mortis arc as the "Tilotny Throws a Shape" of that show.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

jng2058 posted:

At a guess, either Finn the Sith Lord or the unnamed Sith from "All for You".

I remember thinking the guy from "All For You" was Darth Bane. I hadn't thought of Finn as an option, but then he's probably obscure even by EU standards.

Casimir Radon posted:

Haha, yeah, I liked that scene.

Like I said a while back after I finished marathoning the series, one thing it does really well is make Anakin's somewhat perfunctory-looking fall to the dark side in ROTS much more believable, while also underlining exactly why it's so tragedy. We get to see a lot more of Anakin Skywalker, the Hero Without Fear than Anakin Skywalker, the Whiny Emo Who Murdered A Bunch of Kids.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

I win. Awesome, thanks!
Actually that's wrong. It's definitely pronounced like you would say the job title of a person who executes others. EXecutor. The proof follows:

1) Star Wars always defaults to the stupider of any two options
2) "goongas"

I'm afraid this is irrefutable.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
It's pronounced "ex-ec-u-tor." The alternate in question is not a word. An executor executes commands and orders. An executioner administers executions.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Intimidator had 2 sister ships, she was the only one named. 3 executor types in whole

And that's of the Black Fleet, the Yvetha were building imperial ships just by copying the ones they had over the next 12 years, so there may have been more.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

I really like Darth Vader. Rebels is cool, but I'd like some more stories about Vader between episodes III and IV like Dark Lord: Rise of Darth Vader. Are any of those Vader comics worth reading, like the various Star Wars: Purge Books, Darth Vader and the Lost Command, the Ghost Prison, and so on.

I would be fine with a show just about Vader killing some more Jedi every week.

KurdtLives
Dec 22, 2004

Ladies and She-Hulks can't resist Murdock's Big Hallway Energy

Van Dis posted:

Actually that's wrong. It's definitely pronounced like you would say the job title of a person who executes others. EXecutor. The proof follows:

1) Star Wars always defaults to the stupider of any two options
2) "goongas"

I'm afraid this is irrefutable.

The FX guys on the blu-ray docs who built the model pronounce it "Exec cue tor", like a boss, not an execution.

SSD chat: there are a bunch of like semi-canon Star Destroyers/Battlecruisers in between the ISD's and the Executor. Also I don't take any fleet/ship stuff from RTS's too seriously since anything they do is really for game balance stuff.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
As we know, Marvel is releasing its old material from the 1970s in oversized 800-page omnibus editions, and it seems they're going to be reprinting the Dark Horse stuff in their 400-500-page Epic Colletion line. As far as the latter goes, they've announced "The Empire, Vol. 1", which will include most of the Darth Vader one-shots and miniseries that came out at the tail-end of Dark Horse's licenceship. In subsequent volumes, I imagine it will collect the Empire and Rebellion comic book series, likely Agent of the Empire, and maybe some of the Boba Fett series (I don't know if there's enough material there for its own separate series).

Anyway, in the past few days, Marvel has announced two new additions to the line which will be published early next year. First, we have, "The Old Republic, Vol. 1", which I imagine will include stuff from TOTJ, the KOTOR comics, and eventually Jedi vs Sith. Second, we have "The New Republic, Vol. 1", and I'm less certain what would be included here, but I expect it will be collecting a lot of the X-Wing comics, probably the Thrawn trilogy adaptations, and maybe Dark Empire and Crimson Empire. Don't really know what else would go there.

I predict they'll be announcing "Republic, Vol. 1" and "Legacy, Vol. 1" somewhere down the line, to collect all the Ostrander/Duursema stuff.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm glad that Dark Horse stuff isn't vanishing out of print now that the license is back with Marvel. Between Dark Horse's omnibus line and about 3 boxes full of single issues, I have drat near everything, but there's a handful of stuff I'm missing.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Well that's not going to match my omnibus editions. On the other hand some of those shot way the gently caress up in price to where I wouldn't consider buying them, such as $60 for the second Rogue Squadron omnibus which is the one I don't have.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Yeah, I only have the 1st Rogue Squadron omnibus so I wouldn't mind a whole big collection. At the prices they're going for now on Amazon I'm not going to bother. In addition to that, I have Early Victories Vol. 1, A long time ago vol. 1, the Thrawn trilogy, Shadows of the Empire, the first Dark Empire and a droids trade so I have an okay selection of the 90s Dark Horse, stuff.

I should have gotten those Omnibus volumes before Disney bought Star Wars. Oh well.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The New Republic Vol. 1 collection is going to be the two Shadows of the Empire comics and the Mara Jade comic (which is exactly what Dark Horse's SOTE Omnibus included). Just going by the author the Old Republic Vol. 1 seems like it'll only include KOTOR stuff in it (probably it'll be like the Omnibuses and require at least 3 volumes to get through KOTOR).

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
If you don't want to wait on these collections, you can get a huge bundle of every Dark Horse (which includes the old Marvel ones thanks to the magic of license transfers) Star Wars comic for $300 while they still have the license.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earl Chestnuts
Feb 19, 2013
If I'm not interested in getting every Dark Horse book, what are the must haves? I'm definitely getting Legacy and Tales of the Jedi, and I'm considering KOTOR, Dawn of The Jedi, and Legacy Volume 2. Also Purge because watching Vader slaughter Jedi sounds like a good time.