Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Mandatory QTEs to take out non-unique enemies are not good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Strobe posted:

Mandatory QTEs to take out non-unique enemies are not good.

True, those did suck. And honestly I forgot they existed. Mostly I like running around, slicing up troopers with a light saber, throwing some Force lightning, dangling a trooper over a chasm with the Force and dropping him to his death...fun times.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

thrawn527 posted:

True, those did suck. And honestly I forgot they existed. Mostly I like running around, slicing up troopers with a light saber, throwing some Force lightning, dangling a trooper over a chasm with the Force and dropping him to his death...fun times.

And they did that so much better with Dark Forces: Jedi Knight. If we could just get one with modern physics and graphics so that the Gran don't look like they have diseased penises atop their heads...

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Take the entire dark forces series and update them to modern graphics, gameplay, and puzzles and we'd have at least 3 great Star Wars games for the next couple years.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Nitramster posted:

Take the entire dark forces series and update them to modern graphics, gameplay, and puzzles and we'd have at least 3 great Star Wars games for the next couple years.

But keep the hammy, over-acted cutscenes please!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'd take an Empire at War that's pure space battles, be it Homeworld style or more conventional RTS.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

tribbledirigible posted:

But keep the hammy, over-acted cutscenes please!

My favourite bit is in the opening one, when Jerec uses the Force to discover that Morgan Katarn knows the Valley's location ("Verrrry intriiiiiguing!") and Neame plays it like he's either just smelled a massive fart, or he's just done one.

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

Cythereal posted:

I'd take an Empire at War that's pure space battles, be it Homeworld style or more conventional RTS.

There's some sweet Sins of a Solar Empire mods out there. Game may be on sale for 9.99 till tomorrow in the steam sale. Also Empire at War has some sweet mods that make more space stuff betterish.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Cythereal posted:

Rebellion >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Empire at War

Jake Lloyd got arrested (TMZ so side links/ads may be NSFW-ish)

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Decius posted:

You mean Gaius Julius Caesar ("Augustus'" real name after the posthumus adoption, and the one he really used all his life) or Gaius Octavius the birth name he had before or Imperator Caesar Divi Filius Augustus which was more of an title than a name used? ;)
Could go full Late Empire naming with

Quintus Pomeius Senecio Roscius Murena Coelius Sextus Iulius Frontinus Silius Decianus Gaius Iulius Eurycles herculaneus Lucius Vibullius PiusAugustanus Alpinus Bellicius Sollers Iulius Acer Ducenius Proculus Rutilianus Rfinus Silius Valens Valerius Niger Claudius Fuscs Saxa Amyntianus Sosius Priscus

Yes that's a legitimate Roman name for one of the nobles. Thank you senior thesis on Roman Empire.

Honestly, redoing rebellion to be something more like a management game than anything would be AMAZING. And the space segments for EaW were some of the best you done ever seen!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Give the strategy license to Paradox tia

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Now this is pod racing!

quote:

WALTERBORO, S.C. — A former child actor who starred in one of the Star Wars movie sequels faces charges after leading South Carolina deputies on a high-speed chase.

Colleton County Sheriff's Sgt. Kyle Strickland said Sunday deputies on Wednesday arrested a 26-year-old man they confirmed through a former talent agent was Jake Lloyd. He played young Anakin Skywalker in the 1999 movie Star Wars: Episode I — The Phantom Menace.

Strickland said the man gave his name as Jake Broadbent. He has a birthdate that matched the actors' listed by a movie database and a hometown of Fort Collins, Colo. where Lloyd was born.

Strickland said the man was charged with reckless driving after reaching speeds of more than 100 miles an hour before crashing into trees off Interstate 95. He remained in jail Sunday.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2015/06/21/anakin-skywalker-jake-lloyd-arrest/29077559/

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Last night I was drunk and so I watched the Star Wars Holiday Special (with the rifftrax commentary).

My reaction :dogbutton:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Apparently he's been struggling with schizophrenia since about age 19 and went off his pills.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

SirPhoebos posted:

Last night I was drunk and so I watched the Star Wars Holiday Special (with the rifftrax commentary).

I've seen it sober.

Three times.

:smithicide:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Flagrant Abuse posted:

I've seen it sober.

Three times.

:smithicide:

I'm curious: does the Secret History book talk about the making of the Holiday Special?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Casimir Radon posted:

Apparently he's been struggling with schizophrenia since about age 19 and went off his pills.

And struggling with a huge mob of assholes harassing him for being in a bad movie since 1999

Really not a nice set of burdens to have to bear

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Fried Chicken posted:

And struggling with a huge mob of assholes harassing him for being in a bad movie since 1999

Really not a nice set of burdens to have to bear

I actually feel pretty bad for him. His character was poo poo, doesn't mean it was his fault. Nothing could have saved that movie from Lucas.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

SirPhoebos posted:

I'm curious: does the Secret History book talk about the making of the Holiday Special?

It's briefly brought up but isn't a major focus. I think the most that it gets talked about is how it incorporated some of Lucas's early ideas for what became Star Wars but didn't make it into the final draft of ANH.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

SirPhoebos posted:

I watched it when it first aired on television. I remember being so excited.

That didn't last.

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

HELLO I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT MY VERY STRONG OPINIONS

Robot Wendigo posted:

I watched it when it first aired on television. I remember being so excited.

That didn't last.

33% of the people I've showed that to (with riffs) made it through the whole thing. It is the star wars version of the bubonic plague.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
Looks like we will have an actually good Star Wars novel to read soon. Hopefully of Matthew Stover proportions. Chuck Wendig is doing The first Journey to Star Wars novel, and the guy is seriously talented.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
What's the recommended Read Order for the Marvel comics? I know at least the first few issues were sorta interconnected?

I'm finally caught up with Dark Horse Star Wars and am ready to start the new Story Group Canon stuff.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
There's a thread for it in BSS, but the first 5 "star wars" and "darth vader" are semi connected and end on the same note, it's very cool. Just read the main line, then vader. Leia's comic is her own thing, and obviously kanan's story is before all the rest.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Has another comic come out with Han's wife, going into that any more?

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
No that's sort of that story-lines cliffhanger.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Picked up my copy of Dark Disciple today. Hope it doesn't suck!

The forward is by Katie Lucas. It also lists the episodes that the book was based on that weren't filmed.

Carteret fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 2, 2015

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I'm hoping it's good so they keep rolling with cut Clone Wars stuff.

EDIT: Did anyone ever read Scourge? It seems to be rated pretty well, and sounds cool. But seems like it came and went without anyone noticing.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jul 2, 2015

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

I'm hoping it's good so they keep rolling with cut Clone Wars stuff.

I really don't care about the Clone Wars Continuation or whatever they're calling it, but I'd love for them to novelize the cut story where the Yuuzhan Vong show up and abduct some Jedi.

Casimir Radon posted:

EDIT: Did anyone ever read Scourge? It seems to be rated pretty well, and sounds cool. But seems like it came and went without anyone noticing.

It was literally a novelization of a mid-90s RPG sourcebook, by the sourcebook's author, so take that as you will. I never read it but from what I heard, it was set the same time as Vision of the Future but doesn't really mention anything that's from that era or any of the events that were going on, so it was described as feeling like something that was generic Star Wars setting without really being "tied" down to something obviously Star Wars, if that makes any sense (which also is logical as the original RPG was specifically made to be playable in any EU timeframe, there was no general setting for it set down in the game itself).

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

It was literally a novelization of a mid-90s RPG sourcebook, by the sourcebook's author, so take that as you will. I never read it but from what I heard, it was set the same time as Vision of the Future but doesn't really mention anything that's from that era or any of the events that were going on, so it was described as feeling like something that was generic Star Wars setting without really being "tied" down to something obviously Star Wars, if that makes any sense (which also is logical as the original RPG was specifically made to be playable in any EU timeframe, there was no general setting for it set down in the game itself).
Still sounds a million times better than those last 3 Denning helmed series.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The first half hour or so of Dark Disciple is pretty decent.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
A Han Solo spinoff movie has been officially announced.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Oh boy, an origin story :jerkbag:

Unless of course they want to do something in the vein of the Daley novels, but i doubt it. I think a better spinoff would be Han and Chewie do Unforgiven, but what do I know?

EDIT: Kenobi has apparently been classed as Legends now, despite not really interfering with anything else. I think they ought to get Ewan McGregor back and adapt that.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jul 8, 2015

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTNJ51ghzdY
This helps my confidence a bit.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I need to stop watching these because I'm 48 and don't want to get excited about a movie series I started watching when I was 10. :ohdear:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
"Nothing's changed. I mean everything's changed but nothing's changed. And that's the way you want it"

I dunno I'm kind of getting turned off by that.

Ok fine I teared up after that.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 11, 2015

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I'll give it a chance. Not like Star Wars sucking is going to ruin our day at this point.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

EDIT: Kenobi has apparently been classed as Legends now, despite not really interfering with anything else. I think they ought to get Ewan McGregor back and adapt that.

Kenobi was always legends, at least ever since the Legends change happened. Though I do remember one of the very earliest spinoff rumors was that Disney was looking to do a movie with Obi-Wan between III and IV. I could see them eventually doing that, but a Fett movie would probably be first.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, everything from the old EU other than the Clone Wars TV show and a single 4-issue comic book mini series was put into Legends, regardless of what, if anything, it interfered with. Even stuff like the Star Wars Galaxy tie in novel which featured precisely zero film characters or events, is Legends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

jivjov posted:

Yeah, everything from the old EU other than the Clone Wars TV show and a single 4-issue comic book mini series was put into Legends, regardless of what, if anything, it interfered with. Even stuff like the Star Wars Galaxy tie in novel which featured precisely zero film characters or events, is Legends.

What comic book mini series? I don't remember any non film or TV thing staying. Was it Clone Wars?