Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It also confirmed that Obi-Wan's girlfriend from when he was a padawan was Britney Spears. :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Wasn't there a book where Jabba straight up ate a guy?

"Jabba the Hutt: The Dynasty Trap", Dark Horse Comics, August 1995

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Arcsquad12 posted:

New Essential Chronology had some great artwork in it. And then it also had artwork where Gondorian Jedi charged the Mumakil at the battle of the pelennor planet. But it also had the Iwo Jima flag on Coruscant.

This is one of the most perplexing things I've seen and I don't understand how New Line Cinema didn't sue them over it. We're not talking homage of obvious influence, we're talking obvious photoshops of stills from the movie. You can clearly see Gimli and Gamling in it.

A picture, a thousand words, etc, although this is only a small part of the whole thing.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Milky Moor posted:

This is one of the most perplexing things I've seen and I don't understand how New Line Cinema didn't sue them over it. We're not talking homage of obvious influence, we're talking obvious photoshops of stills from the movie. You can clearly see Gimli and Gamling in it.

A picture, a thousand words, etc, although this is only a small part of the whole thing.

hahaha, holy poo poo, i never saw that before and i have that book.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm thinking once I finish the Laundry Files up to the current paperback, then this Neil Gaiman collection I have, I might go on a bit of a Star Wars binge. You know, try out all these books I read like 10 years ago, maybe even report back here if I end up doing it. Might be fun to try. :allears:

For an adult of legal age, a Star Wars binge must always follow or proceed an alcohol binge. Those are the rules.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Jawa Juice and Death Sticks, baby.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

And poured into your head-rear end in a top hat by Bea Arthur.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Wheat Loaf posted:

It also confirmed that Obi-Wan's girlfriend from when he was a padawan was Britney Spears. :D

She was also Sharon Stone at one point.

Knight2m
Jul 26, 2002

Touchdown Steelers

For anyone interested, that read or has interest in reading Lost Stars, Collider has an interview with the author, Claudia Gray on their youtube channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc68IaNqUZU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I just searched "Star Wars" on Amazon and sorted the results by release date - one thing that caught my attention, in among all the TFA material and Marvel trade paperbacks, was "The Best of Star Wars Insider, Vol. 1". A bit of a novelty. Sounds like it could be interesting.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Wheat Loaf posted:

I just searched "Star Wars" on Amazon and sorted the results by release date - one thing that caught my attention, in among all the TFA material and Marvel trade paperbacks, was "The Best of Star Wars Insider, Vol. 1". A bit of a novelty. Sounds like it could be interesting.

I hope that's just an anthology collection of all the short stories they keep putting in Insider.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

So, as someone who hasn't really paid attention to Star Wars since reading the old EU novels like a decade ago or more... where should I start with the new canon? Comics would be fun.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Alikchi posted:

So, as someone who hasn't really paid attention to Star Wars since reading the old EU novels like a decade ago or more... where should I start with the new canon? Comics would be fun.

This is a good time to get in; as there's not a whole lot out yet. The comics so far have been pretty good; the main ongoing series and Darth Vader in particular. The Leia miniseries was...meh, but Lando is pretty good.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm assuming they're going to limit it to just the stories in the current continuity, which is a shame, since there were some very good stories in Insider which never got republished over the years. Especially the Stover story about Plageuis that was shockingly not included in the Plageuis paperback.

Someone was saying that there's going to be a series of Insider short stories on the aliens in that Vanity Fair promotional picture, which I'm looking forward to. Makes me want to reread Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Chairman Capone posted:

Someone was saying that there's going to be a series of Insider short stories on the aliens in that Vanity Fair promotional picture, which I'm looking forward to. Makes me want to reread Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina.

I know they're basically ground zero for the "See that background character who's in one frame? He has a massive EU backstory" meme, but those books were pretty great.

The IG-88 story in Bounty Hunters notwithstanding.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Hey did the guy Obi-Wan, ah, disarmed in the Cantina ever get a name?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Ponda Baba.

His friend was Dr Cornelius Evazan (who didn't like Luke either).

You can find out what happened to them next in their short story in Tales from Mos Eisley Cantina.

Seriously.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Well I guess that's slightly better than "buttmouth guy". Thanks.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Seriously, like every single extra in the background of Star Wars movies has a name and a backstory. But that's a rabbit hole you might be happier if you didn't go down.

Robot Wendigo
Jul 9, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Alikchi posted:

The mainline Star Wars comic is the comic I wish we'd had back in 1977. It really has the spirit and fun of A New Hope, with the main characters in glorious conflict almost from the start. (In the days of yore Marvel wasn't allowed to have Luke or any of the others actually confront Vader, so there were lots of near misses, slamming airlocks, that sort of thing.) The Darth Vader comic reads like a crime story, complete with much blacker humour and violence than you'll find over in Star Wars. Doctor Aphra is a wonderful new character. I've read a few issues of Princess Leia--it's fine, but pales a bit in comparison with the other two.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I hope they keep direct encounters between Luke and Vader in the gap between ANH and ESB to a minimum. What they've done so far is good; Vader meets Luke face-to-face once soon after the Battle of Yavin, connects the dots between him and the pilot who destroyed the Death Star, gets Boba Fett to find out who he is to make sure, and hopefully going forward they won't really meet again until the fight on Cloud City. I think having them run into each other too often could run the risk of diminishing that.

In any case, the new comics will need to work hard to come up with a cover that tops this one:

(:D)

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Robot Wendigo posted:

The mainline Star Wars comic is the comic I wish we'd had back in 1977. It really has the spirit and fun of A New Hope, with the main characters in glorious conflict almost from the start. (In the days of yore Marvel wasn't allowed to have Luke or any of the others actually confront Vader, so there were lots of near misses, slamming airlocks, that sort of thing.) The Darth Vader comic reads like a crime story, complete with much blacker humour and violence than you'll find over in Star Wars. Doctor Aphra is a wonderful new character. I've read a few issues of Princess Leia--it's fine, but pales a bit in comparison with the other two.

nice. i will have to pick it up sometime.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
The Lando miniseries just finished, and it's a very fun read.
Lando, Lobot and a small band of Ocean's-Eleven-type scoundrels steal a ship which turns out to be the Emperor's personal pleasure craft / Sith artifact collection. Hilarity, tragedy and a lot of smoothness ensues.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

It looks like the new TPBs cost more on Kindle than softcover. Is this a Marvel thing? Kindle used to be a good deal with DH.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not sure if anyone else has heard this already, but I enjoyed it. It's an episode of the Full of Sith podcast from last week in which Michael A. Stackpole and R. A. Salvatore, on a panel, discuss why they killed Chewie at the start of NJO.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm not sure if anyone else has heard this already, but I enjoyed it. It's an episode of the Full of Sith podcast from last week in which Michael A. Stackpole and R. A. Salvatore, on a panel, discuss why they killed Chewie at the start of NJO.

I haven't listened to it yet, but I thought the idea didn't come from either of them (neither of them was even involved in planning the NJO overall as far as I knew). Randy Stradley at Dark Horse always claimed to be the person who came up with the idea.

I've also read from Salvatore himself that he never received any death threats for it despite what fans claim.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Wheat Loaf posted:

The interview from the end of the NJO touches on this too.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGbxmsDFVnE

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

i can't stop smiling again

my face hurts

please send help

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Pththya-lyi posted:

my face hurts

please send help
I've dispatched Troy Denning to your house with some story ideas.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Casimir Radon posted:

I've dispatched Troy Denning to your house with some story ideas.

Tahiri in a tight suit coming to molest fourteen year old boys?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Pththya-lyi posted:

my face hurts

please send help

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I like how this thread's awed silence contrasts with basically everywhere else.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Honestly? I'm pumped for it. It looks like it will entertain me for sure.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
We saved all our energy for the MNF GDT.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I just bought my tickets. I'm ready.

Midnight was already sold out, so I had to settle for right after work on the 17th of December. I live abroad and the local theater in town is only showing it in original English in 3D, which kinda blows, but it's Star Wars so I'll live.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

My brother managed to snag tickets early. I got to say I'm hyped.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I was lucky enough to be sitting at my computer when someone over in the CineD thread mentioned that they were able to buy tickets like 2 hours before the halftime trailer premiere, so I got my marathon tickets for AMC locked in before the server meltdowns.

AMC's website was still melting down when I went to bed; so I'm super thankful that I was able to buy quick

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm just going to watch this in my hometown, no ticket presale, just try to beat the crowds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm just going to watch this in my hometown, no ticket presale, just try to beat the crowds.

If you plan on going opening day, you may still want to pre-buy.

But I figure after the initial weekend rush it'll be easy to get in.