Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Arcsquad12 posted:

Vulture Droids are basically the same as macross valkyries. Even have three separate movment configurations

They are, come to think of it.

JJ, in the next Star Wars movie, put VF-1 Valkyries in it. Or at least X-Wings that have a gerwalk mode. Do it, JJ. They have the technology.

A TIE Walker with legs that fold up during flight would be cool, but this is the Empire after all and they're too cheap to even put shields on their ships, so transforming mecha is way out of the question for them.

It would also be cool if TIE Interceptors' wings folded upwards when they land. Or if they were in the new movie at all. I'm kinda sad they just have eyeballs and no dupes or squints. =(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I'm going to have to remember to stay off the internet for a while come Christmastime. My stupid cousin insisted on getting married on the 18th.

Megachile
Apr 5, 2014
Has anybody else read through this Ring Theory idea about the prequels? It's pretty huge for an internet article and idk if it's necessarily worth it, but I read it all for some reason and would be curious to know what other people thought of it.

I've thought about SW a fair amount but this frame really does putsa lot of pieces together, especially in the prequels, that illustrate at least a logic to things I hadn't seen before. It is impressive, but I'm not sure it makes me appreciate the movies any more. While it does redeem him from seeming like quite such a doofus, it still makes it look like Lucas made a lot of weird choices in the prequels that were only justified by an internal logic that doesn't add up to anything particularly effective. It's an intricately planned structure with a minute attention to detail for no worthwhile end, and it seems like he sacrificed making prequels as good as they could be in order to build this ambitious esoteric narrative structure.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Megachile posted:

Has anybody else read through this Ring Theory idea about the prequels? It's pretty huge for an internet article and idk if it's necessarily worth it, but I read it all for some reason and would be curious to know what other people thought of it.

I've thought about SW a fair amount but this frame really does putsa lot of pieces together, especially in the prequels, that illustrate at least a logic to things I hadn't seen before. It is impressive, but I'm not sure it makes me appreciate the movies any more. While it does redeem him from seeming like quite such a doofus, it still makes it look like Lucas made a lot of weird choices in the prequels that were only justified by an internal logic that doesn't add up to anything particularly effective. It's an intricately planned structure with a minute attention to detail for no worthwhile end, and it seems like he sacrificed making prequels as good as they could be in order to build this ambitious esoteric narrative structure.

I ran across this a while back, probably in the other (Cinema Discusso) Star Wars thread. It's a neat idea, and for all I know it could be exactly what George was doing all along. At the very least, the site spells out some parallels in the films that I'd never noticed before.

But while reading it, I kept finding myself reminded of that list of amazing coincidences that happen when you listen to Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon while watching The Wizard of Oz. If you compare sufficiently complex things, you can find all sorts of spurious correlations if you look hard enough.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, sometimes it's hard to suss out how much of the Ring Theory stuff is genuine intention or happenstance.

That said, I like it and it does provide a way of looking at the prequels that makes them not terrible. But you still have to look over the stiff acting and awful dialogue. The Ring Theory author is supposedly going to address those criticisms at some point in the future but who knows. It still makes a compelling case for the structure and shot composition in the prequels. It just doesn't automatically make them great movies.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Powered Descent posted:

But while reading it, I kept finding myself reminded of that list of amazing coincidences that happen when you listen to Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon while watching The Wizard of Oz. If you compare sufficiently complex things, you can find all sorts of spurious correlations if you look hard enough.

The obvious counterpoint being that the Star Wars movies were all made by the same guy and he's acknowledged this deliberate parallelism in public.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Interesting take on the trailer...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fDlPI1vI2A

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Gammatron 64 posted:

They are, come to think of it.

JJ, in the next Star Wars movie, put VF-1 Valkyries in it. Or at least X-Wings that have a gerwalk mode. Do it, JJ. They have the technology.

He's only working on The Force Awakens.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Happy Hippo posted:

He's only working on The Force Awakens.

He's at least a producer on VIII.

i81icu812
Dec 5, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

This is the book that started the feud between Karen Traviss and Troy Denning and is possibly one of the worst novels in the entire EU. You have a pissing match between two authors (lol Mandalorians suck oops all your pet characters are dead fuk u!), a thirty year old Tahiri dressing as a dominatrix and sexually assaulting a 14 year old Ben, then murdering his friend in front of him, Luke Skywalker being a callous jackass who lets Mandalorians and Alliance forces all die for his own ends. Jacen cripples Mirta Gev and then virus bombs Mandalore to kill all the Republic Commando characters, the ridiculously bloody fight scenes which include but are not limited to: A Mandalorian getting his armor crunched into his chest, Jaina hacking Jacen's arm off with a machete (which spurts blood everywhere that Jacen uses bullshit force powers to track Jaina with by making the stains not come out), and a final duel in the incinerator room of a Star Destroyer where Jacen falls into a box of used syringes before getting dumped into a crematorium fire.

Then Daala shows up and everyone decides she's the perfect person to lead the galaxy in the wake of this stupid stupid conflict.

Oh, and seventy year old Leia wearing prosthetic arms as a four armed Codru-Ji and acting as a seductress.

This book is amazing, and should be recognized as (or alongside) the BotM.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Hey, I think someone in this thread had a list of recommended Clone Wars episodes to watch. Does anyone have that post saved, by chance?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

MrMojok posted:

Hey, I think someone in this thread had a list of recommended Clone Wars episodes to watch. Does anyone have that post saved, by chance?

This list served me well.

http://areyoubadenough.blogspot.com/2015/03/the-essential-clone-wars-episodes.html?m=1

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Mandalore episodes are when I realized that I loved the show.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Casimir Radon posted:

The Mandalore episodes are when I realized that I loved the show.

I think what I loved best about the Mandalore episodes is that they didn't actually contradict the Traviss novels, and made the planet more interesting. I'm a big proponent of the Mandalorians in the EU, because they have been different things to different people (my personal favorite version are the Clan Ordo badasses from KOTOR 2). I'd argue that the sheer variation of Mandalorian customs is what makes them so endearing to me, because much as some authors try to cram them into one stereotype, they are really a much more multicultural society than people give them credit for.

What is it about Mandalorians that is similar across all their interpretations? The Armor. And that's it. The Mandalorians have been space mongols, Maori tribals, hardened mercenaries, agrarian farmers, industrial moguls, warring celtic clans, and as of TCW, hardline reactionaries to their violent past. You have the planetary capital of Sundari where the peaceful Mandalorians live, the isolationist clans use Keldabe in the northern reaches, Death Watch owns Concordia, and so on.

I also really love how the Mandalorian issue was not solved. My favorite episode of the whole show is the one where Satine is being stalked by a Death Watch sniper on Coruscant, and the dude gets away in the end! And then Mandalore dissolves into a massive civil war as the Maul aligned Mandalorians go to war with the Death Watch holdouts as well as the New Mandalorians, and we don't see the conclusion. Apart from the two horrible episodes about the poisoned tea and Satine's nephew Scooby Doo episode, the Mandalore episodes just show the slow decline of the pacifist movement.

I loved when Satine was imprisoned and had the conversation with Almec who basically told her she was an idiot for thinking she could change who the Mandalorians are, and that corruption was necessary to keep the illusion of their perfect pacifist society alive.

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

The best part of the Mandalore episodes was that they named Obi-Wan's ex girlfriend Satine.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Moose King posted:

The best part of the Mandalore episodes was that they named Obi-Wan's ex girlfriend Satine.

They had Sy Snootles parody Kate Capshaw, so let's have Obi-Wan break out into Baz Lurman musical numbers.

EDIT: on that note, playing Fallout 4 I heard the original Cole Porter version of Anything Goes. Those are some funny lyrics.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

i81icu812 posted:

This book is amazing, and should be recognized as (or alongside) the BotM.

The visual image of two terribad authors engaged in the literary-equivalent of a playground slapfight and shouting about who's Super-Shield beats who, all while tracking mud and dog-poo poo over any decent part of the setting, is the most :allears: part of the old EU, with the death of Trioculus being a close second.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
You can meet Darth Vader and Chewbacca at Disneyland right now. They both talk, too - of course Chewbacca speaks Wookiee, while Vader communicates through a set of stock phrases.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7jdDnCGbeg

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Moose King posted:

Nah, the legit best bit is when the one Death Watch spy is in a stand-off with Obi-Wan where he has Satine as a prisoner, and he's all, "You can kill me, Jedi, but you will betray everything your beloved duchess stands for!" and then Anakin comes up behind him and stabs him through the back while they play the Imperial March in the background.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

Nah, the legit best bit is when the one Death Watch spy is in a stand-off with Obi-Wan where he has Satine as a prisoner, and he's all, "You can kill me, Jedi, but you will betray everything your beloved duchess stands for!" and then Anakin comes up behind him and stabs him through the back while they play the Imperial March in the background.
That was the specific moment I knew I loved the show. Rebels hasn't really had that moment yet.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Wheat Loaf posted:

That's my favorite part too. Satine and Obi-Wan are shocked by this turn of events, and Anakin is all "What? What'd I miss?" :allears:

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
It's funny you mention that episode, but I've been watching through Clone Wars as I never have, and I just watched that episode. It was the first episode where I went "hey, you know, that was pretty good."

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

SirPhoebos posted:

The visual image of two terribad authors engaged in the literary-equivalent of a playground slapfight and shouting about who's Super-Shield beats who, all while tracking mud and dog-poo poo over any decent part of the setting, is the most :allears: part of the old EU, with the death of Trioculus being a close second.

At least, Trioculus' death made for hilarious Let's Read-ing and did not impact the setting much outside of its little nutty moffsphere. The DNT-LOTF-FOTJ sequence, on the other hand, did a number on the political side, the Jedi side, the SkySolo side...

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You forgot Crucible on that list. What is it with Troy Denning torturing his characters?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Arcsquad12 posted:

You forgot Crucible on that list. What is it with Troy Denning torturing his characters?

He saw all the acclaim that Stover got for putting Jason through the wringer in Traitor but only copied the surface details.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Crucible is really the best thing he's written. Might not be saying much, but there it is. I'm surprised Lucasfilm didn't demand rewrites so he'd have to wrap thibgs up like he was supposed to.

I bought Battlefront because I'm a dork. I wish they'd have gone to the trouble to make a single player game too.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Gammatron 64 posted:

While we're on the subject of Gundam, you know, honest to God mobile suits probably wouldn't be all that out of place in the Star Wars universe. They already have walkers. And droids. Maybe pull a Macross and have your starfighters become robots. I would be okay with mechs in Star Wars and actually kind of want them.

And if they're going to try and invent crazy new light sabers like double bladed ones and broadswords with crossguards, they might as well go full Gundam and include beam tridents, scythes, shields and so on. I'd rather have a Sith Lord pretending he's Gundam Deathscythe than one with lightsabers on his knees.

I would not be at all surprised if we've seen a Sith use a lightsaber that emits a curved beam and puts it on the end of a staff so it's effectively a Scythe by the end of Episode IX, and whatever side-movies they do before IX is released.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Casimir Radon posted:

Crucible is really the best thing he's written. Might not be saying much, but there it is. I'm surprised Lucasfilm didn't demand rewrites so he'd have to wrap thibgs up like he was supposed to.

Never read Crucible but I'd say his best novel (of those I've read - Star By Star, Dark Nest and LOTF) was Tatooine Ghost.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Tatooine Ghost is actually pretty interesting, in concept if not so much in execution. Luke and Leia reconnecting with Anakin's childhood is a good hook.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

This is the book that started the feud between Karen Traviss and Troy Denning and is possibly one of the worst novels in the entire EU. You have a pissing match between two authors (lol Mandalorians suck oops all your pet characters are dead fuk u!), a thirty year old Tahiri dressing as a dominatrix and sexually assaulting a 14 year old Ben, then murdering his friend in front of him, Luke Skywalker being a callous jackass who lets Mandalorians and Alliance forces all die for his own ends. Jacen cripples Mirta Gev and then virus bombs Mandalore to kill all the Republic Commando characters, the ridiculously bloody fight scenes which include but are not limited to: A Mandalorian getting his armor crunched into his chest, Jaina hacking Jacen's arm off with a machete (which spurts blood everywhere that Jacen uses bullshit force powers to track Jaina with by making the stains not come out), and a final duel in the incinerator room of a Star Destroyer where Jacen falls into a box of used syringes before getting dumped into a crematorium fire.

Then Daala shows up and everyone decides she's the perfect person to lead the galaxy in the wake of this stupid stupid conflict.

Oh, and seventy year old Leia wearing prosthetic arms as a four armed Codru-Ji and acting as a seductress.
Was really hoping this was just a joke post but man did the EU get crazy before the acquisition

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

I thought Denning said that the version of Crucible which came out was the one that he specifically rewrote the ending to to give it "closure".

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Never read Crucible but I'd say his best novel (of those I've read - Star By Star, Dark Nest and LOTF) was Tatooine Ghost.

Star by Star made me cry my little eyes out as a kid. The premise of Tatooine Ghost sounds good at least, I'll have to check it out.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think that in Star By Star you have the apotheosis of the NJO (not saying it's the best book in the series, just that it's the New Jedi Orderest of the New Jedi Order), foreshadowing the kind of shock value edginess that became par for course in Dark Nest and LOTF.

ecureuilmatrix
Mar 30, 2011

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Was really hoping this was just a joke post but man did the EU get crazy before the acquisition

Hmm, I'm not sure it really "got" crazy. It started with the... -odd- Splinter... then there was the old Marvels, what with space rabbits and wildly varying wackyness and Alan Moore and all, and the Lando trilogy (crystals and space whales and magic libertarian aesops) and when the EU became a full-fledged thing there was three-eyed polluters and dark greetings, not to forget Goosebumps IN SPACE or some of the more colorful Tales of the Old Republic. I don't think I can remember an era without some out-there things.

That is to say, ALL HAIL WARU.

That said, I do agree the main storyline got quite off the rails in its later years.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

ecureuilmatrix posted:

not to forget Goosebumps IN SPACE

There's some YA book series that was just announced to start next year that sounds like it's going to be the new version of Galaxy of Fear.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Adventures_in_Wild_Space

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wheat Loaf posted:

Can I have an episode number running time that occurs in?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

gfanikf posted:

Can I have an episode number running time that occurs in?

Season 2, Voyage of Temptation. Follows Mandalore Plot and precedes my favorite episode, Duchess of Mandalore.
(Seriously watch Duchess of Mandalore it's loving excellent. Has some Ralph McQuarrie are in it as well.)

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Is clone wars still up on Netflix streaming? I've been meaning to check back on the later seasons after hearing the show's writing was pretty good.

Read a long rear end review of the last legacy of the force books and no wonder Disney decided to dump the vast majority of the EU.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Is clone wars still up on Netflix streaming? I've been meaning to check back on the later seasons after hearing the show's writing was pretty good.

Yep, everything except the film is up on Netflix. Just keep in mind that the first season and a half or so is going to pitching a lot younger than the rest of it. Right around the midpoint of season 2 was when the team was able to start incorporating feedback from the airing of season 1. The cutesy nicknames vanish, the battle droid banter is reduced., etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
So I'm rewatching the movies from 1-6, and I'm on episode 2. So the kaminoans have been building this army for about ten years. Have they also been building all the starships and weapons and stuff too? Or did they contract it out? In which case, wouldn't someone notice a shipyard building a fuckton of warships?