Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

They're adding content through next spring. Battlefront is fine, it just didn't meet the internet's stratospheric expectations.

I don't think asking for a singleplayer mode, even if it was just instant action with bots, equals stratospheric expectations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I don't think asking for a singleplayer mode, even if it was just instant action with bots, equals stratospheric expectations.

The only thing Battlefront 2's missions have over Battlefront 2015 are lovely exposition voiceovers from Jango Fett. Battlefront's "single player" modes have always been paper-thin.

Zoran posted:

My expectation was that I would be able to find a game on any mode within 30 minutes on PC.

My bad.

Glorious PC master race :shrug:

I play it on X1 and I can count on one hand the number of times I've been kicked from a match or couldn't find one in less than a minute.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The only thing Battlefront 2's missions have over Battlefront 2015 are lovely exposition voiceovers from Jango Fett. Battlefront's "single player" modes have always been paper-thin.

I miss Galactic Conquest.

Also, spacehip flight mode had way more to do than it does now. BFII had you flying against capitol ships with enemy fighters. You could dock on the main enemy capitol ship and take it over from the inside, or destroy key points on the ship from the outside. It was awesome. "Fighter Squadron" just has you fly over a planet against other fighters. It's objectively less to do, and I think gets boring way faster as a result.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Glorious PC master race :shrug:

I play it on X1 and I can count on one hand the number of times I've been kicked from a match or couldn't find one in less than a minute.

A little out of date but still relevant.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I've played more than 100 hours of Battlefront, probably more than two or three times as much as I put into BFII.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
I loved Battlefront II and flying spaceships but the space battles in Battlefront II were super disappointing and anyone pretending otherwise is using rose tinted glasses. The first Battlefront had much better starfighter combat because you could actually use them on maps for strafing runs instead of confining them to the same boring space maps full of nothing. I've also put more time into new Battlefront than I'd care to admit.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Finally finished Bloodline. It was good but a lot of it was pretty grim. Specifically the character assassination of Leia, and Ransolm probably getting the death penalty.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Casimir Radon posted:

Finally finished Bloodline. It was good but a lot of it was pretty grim. Specifically the character assassination of Leia, and Ransolm probably getting the death penalty.

Wait, what?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

SirPhoebos posted:

Wait, what?

Leia: She never told anyone she was Vader's daughter, the New Senate finds out due to an old Organa heirloom that contains a message from Bail to Leia making its way into the wrong hands. The Senate suddenly decides that no matter what good Leia did during the War, she obviously is just going to turn into a new Vader so they kick her out.

Ransolm: Takes the heat for some bad stuff to repay a moral debt to Leia, strongly implied that he's going to get charged with high treason and that carries a death penalty.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

jivjov posted:

Leia: She never told anyone she was Vader's daughter, the New Senate finds out due to an old Organa heirloom that contains a message from Bail to Leia making its way into the wrong hands. The Senate suddenly decides that no matter what good Leia did during the War, she obviously is just going to turn into a new Vader so they kick her out.

Ransolm: Takes the heat for some bad stuff to repay a moral debt to Leia, strongly implied that he's going to get charged with high treason and that carries a death penalty.

To be fair, Leia's kid did in fact turn into the new Vader.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, but it's really lovely to just assume that Leia is going to randomly heel turn and become a dictator out of nowhere.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

jivjov posted:

Yeah, but it's really lovely to just assume that Leia is going to randomly heel turn and become a dictator out of nowhere.

That pretty much is what happened with Vader. Dude was a hero of the galaxy until he had a bad day and decided to kill all the younglings!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ImpAtom posted:

That pretty much is what happened with Vader. Dude was a hero of the galaxy until he had a bad day and decided to kill all the younglings!

People out in the general public thought Anakin was a hero of the galaxy. Those close to him realized he had issues. (Now...did they do enough to address those issues? Not really; but that's a different discussion)

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

jivjov posted:

This is the continuation of the group that decided voting supreme power to the creepy old guy who keeps muttering cryptically about the Dark Side and Sith was a good idea.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

It's so divisive that they accuse Leia of being a mole, and make accusations that no one really knows what happened on the Second Death Star. Not really a feel good book.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
I actually really liked how they did that. It felt more realistic than the EU, in that most of the senators were dickheads and that being the child of notorious mass murderer Darth Vader actually had repercussions.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Canemacar posted:

This is the continuation of the group that decided voting supreme power to the creepy old guy who keeps muttering cryptically about the Dark Side and Sith was a good idea.

Did Palpatine do that though? I mean, yeah he was doing Sith stuff...but did the senators and whatnot know about it?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

VaultAggie posted:

I actually really liked how they did that. It felt more realistic than the EU, in that most of the senators were dickheads and that being the child of notorious mass murderer Darth Vader actually had repercussions.
Old EU was written in the post-Cold War era when everyone was a lot more hopeful about the future, this new stuff is a direct reflection of the sorry state of politics as they are now. Populists vs. Centrists is a bit overly simplified in my opinion, especially when it's supposed to be a government that spans the majority of the galaxy.

Lake Jucas
Feb 20, 2011

WHAT OF OUR BARGAIN?

Casimir Radon posted:

Populists vs. Centrists is a bit overly simplified in my opinion, especially when it's supposed to be a government that spans the majority of the galaxy.

"Always two [partys] there are, no more, no less." ~ Yoda, probably.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Casimir Radon posted:

Old EU was written in the post-Cold War era when everyone was a lot more hopeful about the future, this new stuff is a direct reflection of the sorry state of politics as they are now. Populists vs. Centrists is a bit overly simplified in my opinion, especially when it's supposed to be a government that spans the majority of the galaxy.

Aren't we forgetting everyone's favorite Bothan, Borsk Fey'lya?

Political dysfunction in the New Republic was sort of a theme of the old EU also.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
To get real wonky here, one of the big predictors of success in totalitarian ----> democratic transitions is the presence or absence of strong institutions to support the rule of law: independent judiciary, an economically prosperous middle class, a civil servant class who can administer fairly without descending into power struggles.

Unfortunately for the GFFA, the Jedi and the economic elite were wiped out in the Clone Wars, then the Empire destroyed all the organs of democratic rule (the last vestiges of the Old Republic have been swept away!) and replaced them with military dictatorship and direct rule by fear. It's no surprise everything went to poo poo even after the Empire was toppled.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
And the Rebels are classically doomed revolutionaries-turned-oppressors. Their goals are entirely military and their leadership either comes from the Old Republic or consists of charismatic populists with direct ties to the existing dictatorship. Luke's Jedi might have been pretty good civil servants if they hadn't all died.

The more I think about it, the more correct the ROTJ->TFA arc feels.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And yet the biggest complaint I often saw about the old eu was that continuing warfare and hardship after rotj cheapened the ending of the trilogy. The more this change, I guess. But anyhow, I'm interested to see where other neu stories go, with this oppressive republic rather than the idealists fighting holdouts.

It's like the Arab assembly after ww1. They ran well for a time but the efforts by higher powers to carve up the middle east left the region hosed ever since.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 23, 2016

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

ImpAtom posted:

Of course, given that one of the things that REALLY pissed Leia off about the revelation was her son finding out that way, one wonders how much this contributed to his fall, especially since it came bundled with a perfect "this is why democracy sucks" lesson in the process.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I don't really know which of the many Star Wars threads to post this in, so I'm just going to do it here. Star Wars Celebration is in Orlando next year (which just so happens to be where I live) April 13-16, and if anyone is interested, tickets go on sale tomorrow.

http://www.starwarscelebration.com/Orlando/Buy-Tickets/

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

I don't really know which of the many Star Wars threads to post this in, so I'm just going to do it here. Star Wars Celebration is in Orlando next year (which just so happens to be where I live) April 13-16, and if anyone is interested, tickets go on sale tomorrow.

http://www.starwarscelebration.com/Orlando/Buy-Tickets/

I'm not really one for big conventions, but man, I would love to go to a Star Wars Celebration sometime, but the timing just never works out. I almost went to Celebration IV (which was almost ten years ago, drat...) but oh well. Maybe one of the Celebrations for the Sequel Sequel Trilogy I'll finally make it.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

MadDogMike posted:

Of course, given that one of the things that REALLY pissed Leia off about the revelation was her son finding out that way, one wonders how much this contributed to his fall, especially since it came bundled with a perfect "this is why democracy sucks" lesson in the process.

jivjov posted:

I may have to pick up this book now. I like that being the daughter of vader has actual bad setbacks.plus ben learning in the worst way possible is interesting.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

General Battuta posted:

And the Rebels are classically doomed revolutionaries-turned-oppressors. Their goals are entirely military and their leadership either comes from the Old Republic or consists of charismatic populists with direct ties to the existing dictatorship. Luke's Jedi might have been pretty good civil servants if they hadn't all died.

The more I think about it, the more correct the ROTJ->TFA arc feels.

Realistic maybe, but it's yet another brick in the usual narrative mainstream media loves so much: The politicians and pro-democratic/republican guys are either incompetent when it is about ruling or they are weak, indecicive or outright corrupted. The whole civilian control only serves to hinder the heroes or at best withhold the much needed support, so our plucky heroes have to fight with only their brains and a swiss army knife. The best way to fight the evil fascists is to become more like them - just with some the morals and ethics that the viewers/readers like. Basically the Jack Bauer that happily tortures bad guys for the greater good, but who sure as hell isn't racist and is nice to your grandma.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

No, it's exactly the opposite. You can't (re)build a democratic state with revolutionary heroes - you need institutions that support rule of law.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

General Battuta posted:

No, it's exactly the opposite. You can't (re)build a democratic state with revolutionary heroes - you need institutions that support rule of law.

I wonder who the Murat or Danton is in the Star Wars universe?

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

SeanBeansShako posted:

I wonder who the Murat or Danton is in the Star Wars universe?
If you know anything about real life Danton, the starwars equivalent is a Hutt. Not a overly fat one, but still.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Star Wars Celebration tickets bought.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
It's gonna be the first con of any kind that I've gone to. Not sure I'm prepared for this.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Got my tickets too, let me give a nice big gently caress you to their ticket system as well, as the site kept giving errors, keeping me from getting the VIP tickets I was hoping to grab. Somehow others got in and grabbed them before I even had the stupid thing load correctly.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Honestly, I'd rather have decent botmatches than a CoD-style campaign. Botmatches are fun.

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Arcsquad12 posted:

And yet the biggest complaint I often saw about the old eu was that continuing warfare and hardship after rotj cheapened the ending of the trilogy. The more this change, I guess. But anyhow, I'm interested to see where other neu stories go, with this oppressive republic rather than the idealists fighting holdouts.

It's like the Arab assembly after ww1. They ran well for a time but the efforts by higher powers to carve up the middle east left the region hosed ever since.

Personally speaking I didn't mind the little wars and on-going fights with the remaining Imperials, they made sensed and were good ways to keep action and tension going whilst linking them to the films. What I didn't like was the constant Empire replacements, and the Death Star lite plots. As daft as Truce at Bakura was with its laser toting raptors the main threat was basically a series of raids on galactic backwaters while everyone else is busy shooting each other, and then maybe in the future become a major threat to everyone.

I give the Thrawn books a pass since that was very early after the death of the Emperor so the Empire still had a large fleet and a lot of territory to work with, and the second time he sorta show's up the left over Imps have to exploit tensions within the New Republic to even have a chance of clawing back on top.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
The Civil Wars and Micro Empires/Pretenders were fine. But I agree the silliest thing being was always the flavour of the month doomsday machines they kept popping out.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I still suspect weekly super weapons will be evident in the new eu. I wonder if new source books will be made for the neu. The warfare and atlas and chronology guides are incredible at condensing decades of content into a readable history that is extremely engaging.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I still suspect weekly super weapons will be evident in the new eu. I wonder if new source books will be made for the neu. The warfare and atlas and chronology guides are incredible at condensing decades of content into a readable history that is extremely engaging.

maybe. the biggest problem with the old EU is their is a massive area where its basically villain of the week with his super weapon of the week. basicaly that stuff ended with the vong and then it became bug orgies and jason becoming kylo ren.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

A few gossip papers are reporting that early test screenings of Rogue One have not gone well. Whether that's true or not, the tie-in comic was also canceled.