Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Well, R.A Salvatore, whatever you think of his writing, is very well off. And I imagine that some people have a steady stream of income simply due to the sheer volume of material they receive money off of. Guys like KJA probably wouldn't need to write another thing after the metric ton of books he wrote in the 90s.

As for Traviss, the last thing of hers I enjoyed was Gears of War 3. Now, some game writers jumped to novels, and met with terrible results. See: Drew Karpyshin and the embarrassment that is the Revan and Darth Bane novels. However, I actually think that Traviss being the lead writer for GOW3 was a good move, because it restricts her worse tendencies and focuses on her strengths. She writes good group dynamics, you can't deny that. Sure, a lot of the time her dynamics are between like minded individuals who share her political views, but in Gears 3 it works really well, and lends some more depth to a series that reveled in ultraviolence. Her Gears novels go into that nonsense with the wannabe Maori guerillas who are so much better than Marcus and Dom because tribal warrior code of honour bullshit, but they aren't in Gears 3. I really like how she moved Cole and Baird from one note supporting characters to developed individuals.

How well do some of the comics writers do transitioning to novels? Is A New Dawn by JJM any good?

I agree with this. It had some issues, but it was probably the best gears story, (i have always liked the gears of war lore/universe alot weirdly enough.) but like you said, she gave cole and baird poo poo to do and gave them actual personalities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

He's Baaack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miVRaoR_8xQ

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Goddamn, it's nice to see Plinkett again. Interesting how his opinion changed on the film after looking at a wider context. Will the current schedule result in more than one movie per year at any point?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Milky Moor posted:

Apparently the forthcoming Mass Effect novel will be done by a Hugo-award winning author, too.
*crosses fingers for Chuck Tingle*

Wait, I guess that was just a nomination. :sigh:

Thirding that Kenobi by JJM was great. Unrelated, but JJM is also a cool guy in person, so I like supporting his stuff for that reason as well.

Lake Jucas
Feb 20, 2011

WHAT OF OUR BARGAIN?

That Plinkett review is awful. It's the Prequels of Plinkett reviews.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Lake Jucas posted:

That Plinkett review is awful. It's the Prequels of Plinkett reviews.

I like the part where the very white crew feels comfortable telling kids who they look up too.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The Force Awakens bit is easily the worst bit of it.

Megachile
Apr 5, 2014

Milky Moor posted:

Apparently the forthcoming Mass Effect novel will be done by a Hugo-award winning author, too.

It's NK Jemisin, who is amazing. I just read the first volume of her new fantasy trilogy, and I'm very excited to see what she'll do in the Mass Effect universe. I'd put her on par with like Matthew Stover in SW--she's an unusually high-caliber author for a game spinoff series.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Well i mean they aren't wrong that it's a bit of a dull nostalgia bait.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well i mean they aren't wrong that it's a bit of a dull nostalgia bait.
After the prequels, nostalgia bait might've been exactly what was needed for people to feel like "Yes, this is the Star Wars I know" again.

Lake Jucas
Feb 20, 2011

WHAT OF OUR BARGAIN?

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The other 50 minutes are "Making more than 1 star wars movie is bad because corporations or something."

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Sorry RLM. I'm just going to be happy about how it all worked out. Most things Star Wars over the last 10 years were pretty sad.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Lake Jucas posted:

The other 50 minutes are "Making more than 1 star wars movie is bad because corporations or something."

Eh his point was that it corps suck out any creativity to go with low risk and rather bland products. Which is correct.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

On the other hand Rogue One looks like it's going to be fresh and good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

Eh his point was that it corps suck out any creativity to go with low risk and rather bland products. Which is correct.

That seems a bit silly when the next Star Wars film appears to be unlike any previous Star Wars film.

Also "low risk" and a film starring a woman and a black guy where the villain is a whiny pissbaby who kills Han Solo don't really go hand-in-hand. If it had been executed worse Han's death could easily have been a Hicks/Newt Ruined Forever moment.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
This is kind of a nebulous question. I watched the teaser for the old republic's knights of the eternal throne expansion. Does anyone else feel like bioware's art direction has always been kind of poo poo? There is really nothing in kotor or tor that really looks like star wars to me save for some very derivative ship and armor designs. Then I got thinking and there really isn't much inventive art direction in mass effect or dragon age either. It's usually just "slap a million chunks of metal onto a helmet covering any feasible visor".

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

That's why they make the big bucks, polished but generic sells like gangbusters.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

That seems a bit silly when the next Star Wars film appears to be unlike any previous Star Wars film.

Also "low risk" and a film starring a woman and a black guy where the villain is a whiny pissbaby who kills Han Solo don't really go hand-in-hand. If it had been executed worse Han's death could easily have been a Hicks/Newt Ruined Forever moment.

That isn't that impressive anymore. Now had they pushed the interracial romance angle it would have, but they danced around it because you know generic. Though RLM took a weird as gently caress angle with that part.

punchymcpunch posted:

That's why they make the big bucks, polished but generic sells like gangbusters.

Oh I don't doubt it, it's a little bit of a downer but it's hard to care that much.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Casimir Radon posted:

On the other hand Rogue One looks like it's going to be fresh and good.
I'm hyped as h*ck about it

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

That isn't that impressive anymore. Now had they pushed the interracial romance angle it would have, but they danced around it because you know generic. Though RLM took a weird as gently caress angle with that part.

Oh, really? Okay CharlesTheHammer, what other major Hollywood blockbusters are you thinking of here?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Big budget Adam Sandler movies where he always casts himself with a super hot, sometimes even non white! wife.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Honestly, I like that they didnt do a romance between Rey and Finn.

1: Reys arc is focused on her past, her baggage, her soon to be Jedi training, and her mentor/student relationship with Luke. Adding a romance would get in the way and distract from all that. It would be like if Lucas tried to squeeze in a romance between Lukes training with Yoda and his struggle with Vader.

2: Since Finn isnt attached to Rey like he would be if they were dating, the story is free to have him hang out with Poe giving them both someone to interact and play off of. Kind of like how in ESB they had Luke hanging with Yoda and han and leia off doing their thing. You can draw your own conclusions about what that would mean for a possible Poe/Finn romance.

3: Please dont let Star Wars turn into Twilight. I would really like to see a badass female lead whos primary conflict is not which boy she wants to kiss.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Personally I wouldn't mind if the entire new trilogy were devoid of romance. It's okay for a story to not have it.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
So I've been listening to the Darth Bane audiobooks.

Is this about par the course for Legends books? Cause... yikes.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Luminous Obscurity posted:

They're considered to not be very good. Go read Darth Plagueis by James Luceno instead.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
The Bane books have a good story; but Drew K. just isn't a fantastic author; sadly.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Stackpole's X-Wing novels are actually some of the best EU books.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Drew Karpyshin is a video game writer who jumped over to books and brought all of his "and now random encounter/boss fight ensues" tendencies with him. The first Darth Bane book I thought was decent, but the sequels sucked.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Milky Moor posted:

Stackpole's X-Wing novels are actually some of the best EU books.

Just finished Isard's Revenge. Solid series, I'd follow Wedge Antilles into battle any old time.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

Drew Karpyshin is a video game writer who jumped over to books and brought all of his "and now random encounter/boss fight ensues" tendencies with him. The first Darth Bane book I thought was decent, but the sequels sucked.

He was also tapped to write the Darth Revan novel despite the fact that everything that made Revan an interesting character was done by Obsidian in the sequel.

Cant really blame him for torpedoing the KOTOR story in that book since that decision was made higher up, but his handling of it was just terrible icing on a terrible cake.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If I want to get the unaltered laser disc transfer on DVD, what box cover art am I looking for? I don't want to accidentally buy the 2004 DVD editions.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

If I want to get the unaltered laser disc transfer on DVD, what box cover art am I looking for? I don't want to accidentally buy the 2004 DVD editions.

I think these, the ones that came with the 2006 DVD edition:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Even then..."unaltered" is a bit of a misnomer. I seem to remember reading an article that broke down how they had to kludge together two or three releases of each film to approximate what people expected when they hear "unaltered Star Wars trilogy".

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

People just want the versions they had on VHS, only Blu-Ray. Nobody is going to get upset if they can't have the release that doesn't have the A New Hope tagline.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
It feels like the fan base most loudly clamoring for a modern release of the original-original trilogy would be the exact people that would reject A New Hope in favor of Star Wars

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Super diehards might want that. Surely most people just want all the CGI removed.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
This is the Star Wars I grew up with:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Gammatron 64 posted:

:same:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

jivjov posted:

Even then..."unaltered" is a bit of a misnomer. I seem to remember reading an article that broke down how they had to kludge together two or three releases of each film to approximate what people expected when they hear "unaltered Star Wars trilogy".

Even so, the 1994 vhs laser disc release is the closest approximation we've got, so if I can get that on DVD I will. Though I do think that the special effects updates to the trench run are very good in the 97 edition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Ah, the good old days of fast forwarding past the George Lucas interview