Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007

deadhoarse posted:

Clone Wars teaser shown too. Darth Maul has a brother. Looks just like him.

Please, for the love of God, tell me you are joking.

I'm barely hanging in here as a Star Wars fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

This. It's been eons since I played those games and I still bask in memories of cutting Imperial officers' hands off! What happened?!

Just wait until the next over the top protaganist comes. There will be a whole new generation of us wondering where our old Starkiller went and looking back on the good times we had bringing down star destroyers and tossing around rancors.

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007

SmokaDustbowl posted:

Speaking of which, are there any Jedis that fight hand to hand? I want to see some Jedis battle it out traditional kung fu movie style with no sabers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6abecTih3Xw poo poo like that would be awesome in a Star Wars spin off.

Dude. It's crap like this that made Star Wars stupid.

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007

SmokaDustbowl posted:

Oh, okay! I mean poo poo! Darth Vader just hit Obi Wan once and he disappeared! Totally lame. And man, all those space fighters just shooting around everywhere!

I could try and explain my views on why I think it's stupid to have over the top crap, but I'm honestly not that good with words. But someone already did it for me! Yay!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORWPCCzSgu0

Skip ahead to 5:50 and you'll understand exactly what I'm talking about.

What makes Star Wars so great isn't just the fighting, its about the characters, the internal conflicts people have to deal with(like resisting the dark side), and all that other "deep" stuff. Once you start having these over the top choreographed fight scenes, it takes away from the struggle the characters are actully going through. I really wish people would watch this video where he talks about how you can move the audience without flashy effects and unnecessary "dancing" during fight scenes. That's what made the OT duels so great. Like Luke losing his poo poo and chopping off Vader's arm, or the way Obi-Wan gets cut down. They're not good because of the choreography, they're good because you see what the characters are going through emotionally and you actually see the characters evolve in front of your eyes. You see Luke mature in his use of the force after he chops off dad's hand. He would rather let the Emperor kill him then use the dark side.

I know a lot of what I'm saying sounds like I'm over-analyzing things, but I believe that a lot of the reasons the prequels suck so hard is because of bullshit like these retarded lightsaber duels, and once everything becomes so choreographed it looks like people are dancing when they should be fighting.

On a final note, if you also go to 9:40 on that video you can hear Lucas talk about special effects. To hear him talk like that honestly makes me a little teary eyed. To think that Lucas actually thought that way at one point, then to look at the way he is now honestly depresses me as an adult fan of Star Wars.

The Prequels could have been so great. They could have recaptured the magic of the OT. Instead they are garbage that were made for nothing other then toy sales, and I honestly believe it all began with someone saying something along the lines of "Lets make the Jedi over the top!".

Anyways enough of my rant. I think I'm just depressed because of how much of an effect Star Wars use to have on me. Now I "psh" at just about everything not related to the OT or Thrawn.

Mister_Eel fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Aug 18, 2010

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007

Traxus IV posted:

Yeah, I'm pretty much this same way. I loved Star Wars for so long that I've essentially burnt out on it and am just so tired of all the garbage that gets included in every new Star Wars project. The wide-eyed wonder of the original movies has given way to the cynical sneer of everything else (save for a few rare gems, like the Thrawn stuff). But I keep reading summaries and following Star Wars news because I can't let it go even though I have zero interest in these new books and games and everything. Star Wars might be great again someday, and I really want to give it that chance. I feel like a battered spouse. :(

Going by these rules I'd be Krama Whwya. Authentic Star Wars Name terribleness! How would you even say that poo poo.

Yeah I'm pretty much the same way. I still buy Lego Star Wars sets and the occasional action figure. I still hold out hope that one day it will recapture my imagination.

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007

DorianGravy posted:

If you don't take it too seriously, and kind of regard it without comparing it to the original trilogy, the ongoing Clone Wars cartoon is really pretty entertaining. The characters are actually rather bearable, unlike the prequels, and some pretty neat stuff happens.

If you're at all interested, two episodes are available on the website for streaming: http://www.starwars.com/theclonewars/. Just go down to "Watch episodes online." For the most part, watching episodes in order isn't too important, so you can just jump in anywhere. Neither are top-notch episodes, but will give you a feel for the show. Whatever you do, though, don't watch that awful "movie" that started the show.

Yeah I actually watched a couple of them, the ones where they were chasing come kind of Seperatist ship with a super-emp-pulsing thingamajiger on it. I stopped once they flew through a herd of space animals or something. I thought it was a little too cheesy.

Thunderscreech posted:

Sadly, between then and now he discovered that he gets his powers from moneychlorians.

I can't really blame him for wanting to make money, but he really is the definition of a sell out.

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007
I wonder what Han Solo was doing in Mos Eisley anyways when Obi-wan and Luke needed a transport. It seems like it wasn't very prudent to be on the same planet as Jabba. Was Jabba even on tatooine at that time or did he move his base there at the time of ROTJ?

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007

AcridWhistle posted:

They ever fix the NPC naming? I only played maybe for 4 months when it first came out.

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

Sadly most of my screenshots are completely confusing (way way too many characters on screen), humping things, or sitting in odd areas (enemy spawns, inside bushes, levitating 50 meters in the air, etc)

I would LOVE to see some shots of bugs and stuff. I remember in the old thread somone posted shots of 100 foot tall people and another one outside a cantina where there was like 50 vehicles with no one on them because there was a bug that didnt remove the vehicle once someone dismounted. Any other shots you just think are cool would be nice to see too.

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

SOE's lowest hour (at least prior to the NGE) was when they closed one of their servers due to constant player protests. The time where the put hundreds of players into space was during one of them. What happened was that someone in the game figured out a way to dupe the in game currency in the trillions. SOE, in their brilliant wisdom decided to ban EVERYONE who had any of the duped credits. However, since there was absolutely no way for someone in game to know whether the credits were genuine they were spread all over the server as people continued to buy things and give money to other people. You could even give someone money without their consent using the /tip command and there was not a drat thing they could do about it. Everyone who had the duped credits was banned.

I swear SOE is the most incompetant company to ever make video games. I hope they burn in video game hell.

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007
I know I'm a little late to the Empire at War hate party but once I had a fleet containing just the Executor. So I fly it over a rebel planet containing a single squadron of B-wings. "Well this should be easy, I'll just auto-calculate the battle instead of loading up the space battle". Well the single loving squadron of 3 B-wings destroyed the Executor, which by itself could launch something like 10 squadrons of TIEs and Interceptor, both of which should have kicked the poo poo out of the THREE MOTHER loving B-WINGS!

Man it STILL pisses me off just thinking about what a huge steaming piece of poo poo that game is. Right after that happened I took the CD out of my computer and snapped it in half. I haven't bought a single Lucasarts game since and I probably never will.

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007

T-1000 posted:

The first thing Anakin does when he turns to the dark side is hack off Mace Windu's arm and let the Emperor kill him.
The second thing Anakin does is slaughter a large group of children.

Even if you're paraphrasing inaccurately, the idea is idiotic.

Yeah the idea of Anakin "slowly descending" into the Dark Side is one of the most retarded things you could say about the prequels. It's more like he spazzed out.

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007

Mister Roboto posted:

I happen to have two of these, still boxed and unopened.

Wonder how much they're worth?

Looks like around $20 on ebay. Most of the PT stuff doesn't go for much.

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007

Big Mean Jerk posted:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/URoRRuR%27R%27R

I have no words.

Of all the things to get irritated with about Star Wars this is a pretty minor one.

I read something interesting in the mandalorian entry on wookipedia.

quote:

When writing his X-wing novels in 1996, author Michael A. Stackpole was interested in involving the Mandalorians in the series. The idea was vetoed by Lucasfilm, however

Imagine how different mandos would be if he had done all their backstory instead of that hack Traviss.

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007

quote:

When filming began for the prequel trilogy, the new stunt coordinator Nick Gillard ramped up the speed and agility the Jedi characters demonstrated in lightsaber duels. The idea being that the prequel trilogy took place when the Jedi Order was in "full flower", at least in terms of combat techniques.[28] Gillard was careful to avoid giving the fight scenes a choreographed look, drawing upon his extensive knowledge of martial arts to create the moves

Ha. I hope that stunt coordinator never gets another job.

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

Good for you. I had absolutely no warning about what I saw. Lucas and Spielberg ran around for the intervening 19 years between Crusade and Crystal Skull talking about how they'd only make an new Indiana Jones movie if they could do it right and not leave a bad taste in anyone's mouth, and then they did it anyway.

I can only imagine how much Harrison Ford must have been paid to be in that movie. I bet he HATED working with Lucas since Ford likes to have a lot of input on the movies he's in.

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007
Ok that's it.

http://www.creativeuncut.com/gallery-07/swfu-at-at-walker.html

I'm so sick of these Star Wars.

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007

sniper4625 posted:

Goddamn, it got to the point where I would just mass Stormtroopers and hurl them against planets until I won. Land Battles in that game...

Dude, Lancers dominate everything in that game.

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

So excited to share this news with you, fellow goons. I was looking around the internet for various posters related to star wars, and I found something amazing. Someone on ebay was selling something like 23 10x20 prints of mcquarrie's concept art from empire strikes back. I wasn't sure of the quality but the whole thing cost me 20 bux so I did it anyway. Well they just got here yesterday and these things are gorgeous.

It has a lot from Hoth, a couple on dagobah, and a bunch of exterior/interior bespin paintings. I was very lucky, now to work on framing some of these.

You should show them to us. NOW!

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007
I know this sounds horrible but I'm glad that I'm young enough to see the day that Lucas dies. I'm looking forward to someone else getting a chance to make Star Wars great again. I can't wait till we get some new OT movies or TV shows. I can't wait till we get a Rogue Squadron series like Battlestar Galactica, or an Heir to the Empire movie Trilogy.

There's so much material that would make incredible movies, TV shows and video games but Lucas is too much of a loving douche bag to let it happen. Lets just hope that his droopy looking son doesn't pull a "Lucas" and try to come up with new movies and poo poo without listening to anyone else.

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007

Noi Albinoi posted:

So, Hans vs Greedo.

For some reason I remembered the debate over who shot first. I watched the scene and Greedo shot first. He managed to miss with his lovely aim at close range and then Hans spanked him good like the filthy whore he is.

How the gently caress is there a debate? Unless you're blind, it's simple. What's the general consensus on this?

Assuming you're actually serious they changed it with the special editions that came out in the late 90s.

The reason people hate it is because when Han shot first it said something about the character. It showed that he was a ruthless smuggler that did whatever he felt was necessary to survive. When they made it so Greedo shot first it turns Han into a regular good guy that was just defending himself. Besides, the whole set up before the shots were fired shows you that Han intends to shoot Greedo. It's just stupid that Greedo's all "PEW!!!! OH poo poo I MISSED!!!" and then gets blasted.

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007
Continuing on the Han/Greedo Topic...

When those special editions came out I remember getting so incredibly pumped about it. I love all the changed they made up until the cantina scene. When Greedo shot first something in my changed. I think I was too young to actually understand why that scene bothered me so much. A little bit of me died that day. When the ESB special edition came out I was just like "Meh, I guess I'll go see it." Good thing ESB had the least amount of changes cause I don't think I would have even bothered to see ROTJ.

I can see it now! The Wampa has a lightsaber!

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007

Noi Albinoi posted:

That makes much more sense. Thanks.

Original, Hans shot first. Special edition, Greedo. Still a stupid debate.

Yeah it is stupid. But not as stupid as the changes Jorge made. Some people see the original versions as the only true Star Wars. I myself pick and choose what I think is Star Wars. The rest gets ignored or packed into the dark room of my brain along with all the things I'd like to forget.

The OT, Heir to the Empire, X-wing books, pre 2000 video games, that's my Star Wars.

The Clone Wars, the PT, The Force Unleashed, that poo poo all goes in the dark room never to be released.

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

His neck moves in a way that no neck moves in reality.

It actually looks shittier then when he steps on Jabbas tail. God. I still remember the first time I saw it back in the theatre in, what was it, 97? It looked like Han was walking up a flight of stairs.

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007

arioch posted:

Daala has also hosed some random senator and Boba Fett. You wish I were kidding.

Seriously? Boba Fett?

I don't know why but everytime anything even remotely sexual happens in Star Wars it creeps me out. Even Luke and Mara.

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

You know, for someone who had a long drawn out fight with the Emperor

This, this right here is why prequels suck. The poo poo Yoda says in ROTJ made sense when it was just episodes IV-VI.

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007

Mister Roboto posted:

How would you have done the Yoda/Emperor confrontation?

What I mean is there WASN'T one when it was just the OT. Sorry my post wasn't very clear. Not being sarcastic.

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007

Mister Roboto posted:

No, no, I was genuinely curious how you envisioned it. If Yoda knows about Vader=Anakin, then presumably the existence of the emperor would be known.

Actually...was the emperor ever mentioned by the Jedi in the OT? In any material?

If not, then his existence could conceivably be unknown to Yoda in the OT's writing.

I'm honestly not very articulate but I'll try to explain why this bothers me.

Assume there's just the OT. We don't know anything about the Emperor at the time of ESB when we first see him, we still know nothing about him when we first see him in ROTJ. There's no reason for us to think that Yoda has even met him. So it makes sense that Yoda doesn't give Luke any real advice towards fighting him even though Yoda was obviously correct in stating that Luke already knew everything he needed in order to face Vader and the Emperor. We were free to imagine what the relationship between Yoda and Palpatine had been(much like Obi mentioning the clone wars).

Now we have the prequels and the first rule of prequels is they never get the details and that not everything always matches up. So now we have people sperging over something as minor as what Yoda said. Now that we have the prequels we know about the fight between Yoda and Palp so it doesn't make any sense why Yoda didn't say anything like " Watch out for that lighting you must." or "A master of deception he is" and given George's awesome writing skills those lines probably would have been worse then mine. So here we are sperging over a 1 minute scene because of a prequel.

And that's why I loving hate prequels.

Anyways, I don't envision anything in particular. I could write fanfiction (HA!) about what I think the prequels should have been, but as much of a sperg as I am, I'm not going down that road. Lucas sucks. His writing sucks. He took what could have been three of the loving GREATEST films and turned them into complete and total poo poo. Not that I'm bitter.

PS. Do we even know that the Emperor is force sensitive in the OT before he shocks Luke? I honestly can't remember.

PSS. This post really doesn't answer your question. But all I was really saying in the first place was I hate prequels of any kind and I typed all this crap so I'm going to post it anyways.

EDIT: Ok here's something that I do envision. Here's how Padme should have died. First, totally erase the whole scene where Padme talks to Anakin on Mustafar. Now right when Obi-Wan jumps off the robot onto the shore of the lava river, Anakin should have followed him. Then Padme shows up and tries to convince him to stop. Anakin chokes/throws/whatever her and Obi uses the opportunity to strike. Obi-Wan doesn't kill Anakin because he's too busy trying to save Padme. He stop only to take the lightsaber. Zoom to Pollis Massa where the babies are born and BAM no more need for the whole "she's lost the will to live" crap. Also explains why Obi-Wan didn't kill Anakin.

But god see what a mess these films are? If you cut out the part where Padme and Anakin talk on the landing pad then how do you explain where Obi-Wan was during this time blah blah blah. It's pointless and now I've gone down the dark road that leads to fan fiction. I blame you for this Mister Roboto.

Mister_Eel fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Oct 14, 2010

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007

T-1000 posted:

The first thing he says in ESB is "there is a great disturbance in the force" so it's clear he is. He frequently says he has foreseen things in ROTJ. He's got Vader cowed yet he looks like a frail old man, so on first viewing we know he must be pretty drat powerful.

But we don't see him actually do a single threatening thing, let alone use the force, until he starts hitting Luke with the force lightning.

Oh yeah duh. I need to rewatch the OT again so I can make fun of the PT.

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007
So wait a sec, Backstreet Boys actually had a musical number? Jesus Christ.

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007

Pththya-lyi posted:

The general consensus is that the third season is pretty weak so far. The first two episodes about clones on Kamino were good, but ever since it's been mostly HOT DIPLOMATIC ACTION. They're probably trying to branch out a bit, and I can understand that, but they should at least intersperse the "political" episodes with some "action" ones. It's really growing stale.

Also, this happened:

Yes, that is Greedo. And yes, that is the blue opera patron Lucas played in ROTS. His name is Baron Papanoida and he's the Chairman of the Pantoran Assembly.

Why do they continue to recycle old characters? Greedo seemed like a young punk in ANH, someone who was still wet under the ears as far as bounty hunting was concerned.

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007

Diacritical Mark posted:

In one of the PT novels we're told that Anakin would find broken droids, fix them, and let them wander around the Jedi Temple... only to find out that the droids were planted in trash bins by the Trade Federation to exploit Anakin's stupidity and spy on the Jedi. When the Council finds out, they quickly put an end to his bullshit.

Every time I read this thread Star Wars becomes even more retarded. :negative:

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007

that awful man posted:

If it makes you feel any better, there's probably another fanfic where the pizza girl is revealed to be Force-sensitive and helps steal the Death Star plans.

Way to spoil the plot for TFU3. Jerk.

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

You sure? that photograph isn't well lighted. Somebody else help us with this.

There's no way that's Mark.

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007

WorldsStrongestNerd posted:

Yall please forgive me for not reading thru this whole thread to see if its already been discussed, but will somebody give me a quick opinion of the Star Wars: Empire at War windows game? Also the Forces of Corruption expansion pack.

I use to play the poo poo out of that game despite its many flaws. Until the day I took the Executor and flew it to a rebel controlled planet. A single B-Wing squadron(3 ships total) came and attacked the Executor. Now keep in mind the Executor can launch something like 20 squadrons of TIE Fighters/Bombers/Defenders. I've taken out entire fleets of enemy ships with it. So I think "I'll just auto-resolve this one fight." Sure enough the Executor goes down in flames. I calmly quit the game, took the CD out of my computer, then snapped this disc in half.

gently caress that game.

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007

McGann posted:

I thought that in the vanilla game, ships didn't function as carriers? It's been a while since I played it using anything other than one of the big mods, so I could be wrong.

Also, sperging out over Weird Al's "Yoda" is exactly the same thing I do whenever I hear Dropkick Murphy's "Wicked Sensitive Crew".

"...I cried when Micky died in Rocky II..." always makes me feel bad even to sing along with it, since Micky died in Rocky III ;)

Imperial ships functioned as carriers in both the basic game and the expansion. Star Destoyers(Victory, Acclamator, and Imperial) would automatically start the map with 2 or 3, 3 ship squadrons. When those original squadrons would die they would spawn 1 replacement squadron per original one launched.

The Executor didn't start with any squadrons but instead had an ability that was on like a 10 second cooldown that would spawn a squadron. You would randomly get either an Interceptor, Bomber, or Defender.

I never used any mods.

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

What am I supposed to do, e-mail a bomb threat to Valve?

Yowzers, that's kind of extreme.

The game has it's fun moments, just don't auto resolve any battles. If you play Empire then use lots of Lancers. They're broken as gently caress.

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007

VaultAggie posted:

Just when you think you've seen the last of the Mandalorians... http://lego.wikia.com/wiki/7914_Mandalorian_Battle_Pack

Buy 10 of those, sit on them for a couple years, make 10x what you spent on them.

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007

JediTalentAgent posted:

...Or the prequels set the bar so low that I can't tell anymore.

I think this is the only acceptable reason for liking TFU.

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007
That just sounds like the worst kind of movie for Jorge to make. Then again you could say that about any movie he makes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister_Eel
Jun 29, 2007

Wompa164 posted:

I just got this framed, pretty proud of it :)

Where is this from? Did you make it? Do you have a desktop of it? Can I buy a print? If you made it can you make more? Will you marry me?