Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Hi all, I just finished catching up on this delightful thread and am eager to joing the nerdfest. I pretty much read all of NJO which ranged from painful to delightful. I was especially pissed of at the Voxyn. Where killing the queen magicly meant they couldn't clone any more despite the genetic material being available in a number of Voxyn in later books.

And Wookiepedia basicly said that Anakin Solo died because people might get confused between him and A. Skywalker...I don't see how anybody whos buying a Star Wars novel wouldn't be able to make that distinction.

So the killed him of with some contrived threat to all jedi (Voxyn) in which killing one particular one means that couldnt clone more...and the one they are CLONING from is bigger/meaner/smarter/forcesensitiver then all the other ones. Literal Boss Voxyn.

I was planning on reading Dark Nest and on but you guys have got me :ohdear: to read about...bug orgies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Speaking of too old. The only character I can recall that was allowed to get old was Ackbar and die with peaceful dignity

He could easily have been written into a scene were someone has to swim there way to victory.

"What are you doing with that thermal detonator Admiral, that aqueduct leads into the heart of the evil facility?"
:smugdog: "Its a trap."

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Hemp Knight posted:

It was pink on the DVDs, and now it's purple. :ughh:

They are literally overcompensating around the color red. Its not hard...

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 12, 2011

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, this is pretty common in movies for some reason. Like how Bogart never says, "Play it again, Sam" in Casablanca, or the previously mentioned Star Trek quote. Or "We don't need no stinkin' badges!" from The Treasure of the Sierra Madre.

Sherlock Holmes also never said, "Elementery my dear Watson." Despite there being a metric shitton of stories with him being :smug: explaining something obvious (depending on the story)

In other news. I recent found a copy of Star Wars at an antique store. Its the book, STAR WARS from the adventures of Luke Skywalker by George Lucas. Printed in 1977. Looks like its a second edition. I would put this in the book thread but its pretty awesome actually. Theres a photo insert section with photos from the movie. There is a stormtroopers riding a Dewback in the pictures at it looks awesome, like a proper critter, they must have moved like poo poo to be left out of the movie...
:tinfoil: Could George really have intended everything all along?
Well I plan to read through this and maybe see, from the prologue it seems like P-daddy was corrupted by "the very assistants and boot-lickers he had appointed to high office" Is this the Moff council? Who knows!

So, is this a sweet find or old hat? Also what Cannon is this? Because it might be that early stuff we don't talk about anymore but its also written by Lucas himself according to the jacket and is thus his take on ANH. That's got to make it weigh a lot in the canon department right?

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 17, 2011

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

ZeeToo posted:

I think I have the first printing of that!

At least, mine has the same title/author and a copyright date of 1976.

Yeah it says 1977, First print 1976. So Mines a second printing. It was a library book in Beaverton City OR for who knows how many years.
:3: I wonder how many nerdy kids read through this...

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

^^^^^^^^That's the one!

It has pictures of droids and under it says "See-Threepio*C-3PO" and "Artoo-Detoo*R2-D2" I always thought those were stupid and wondered what author started that trend...It was George.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

It's the old stuff we don't talk about anymore. The only person allowed to overwrite Lucas is Lucas.

The Emperor, as he was designed when the first movie was filmed, was described as a corrupt Nixon-esque leader, who wasn't even the first Emperor of the Empire. His advisers (the Moffs) and members of the Sith had complete control over him, and Vader was one of many Sith. Since none of this was mentioned out loud in the movie, it was able to be retconned for the following movies once they fleshed out the story a bit.

I'd be interested to see those shots of the Dewback, if you have the ability and desire to scan them.

Cool, I will read it so see just how full of poo poo Gerorge is then with the whole series all laid out from the word go.

The Moff's seem to be a big deal in ANH and then are all but gone for ESB and ROTJ only to come back strong in the EU just to have powerful villians around.

Makes sense why Tarkin is the badguy if he is the de facto puppet master behind the whole Empire in general. Makes ANH much more epicand him ordering Vader around make sense.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

I've brought it up so many times in this thread I think people might start thinking I'm the author (I'm not) or make money off purchases (I don't), but if you want to read about how full of poo poo George is "with the whole series all laid out from the word go", you should read The Secret History of Star Wars. It's amazing. The guy picked through all the versions of the scripts, interviews, novelizations, notes, etc. to create a true look at what Star Wars was about at any given time in it's evolution. It's incredible, and if you have enough interest in Star Wars to be posting in an online forum about it, I'd say you'd love it.
I did see you bring that up before, Ima get it. Looks like fun!

Is it all text? or does it have weird concept art alternate outfits..stuff like that?

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Aug 17, 2011

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

No, it's all text. Still great, though.

Picking it up.

Question. Just how many "Grand Moffs" are there? And Grand Admirals for that matter. It sounded from the book thread that "Glove of Vader" had thousands of them running around a conference... Is it established in non retarded canon?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

arioch posted:

Non-retarded canon on this is hard to find, and the retarded poo poo is mingled through and through the Wookieepedia entry on the matter, but seems like there weren't more than a handful of Grand Moffs. The structure seemed to be (ignoring retarded bullshit): Governors ruled a single planet, Moffs ruled an entire sector over Governors, Grand Moffs ruled huge swaths of the galaxy.

There were 12 known Grand Admirals, with Thrawn having received the 13th title in secret. The other Grand Admirals all have retarded canon associated with them, including the one that was on Death Star II doing the actual Battle Meditation for the Imperial Navy.

I thought the emperor was subconciously Battle Meditating (tm) and when he died all the troops balls fell off so they retreated.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 17, 2011

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Was there a name for that law that says there's always something more retarded in the EU?

Should be Nyax's law.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

There is a certain amount of stupidity with this no in between business. Like the Jedi refusing to use all them super weapons they've got laying around against the Vong, because it would be "offensive" rather then "defensive" And are content to sit around as worlds get enslaved. Luke even disapproves of a guerrilla war Kip is fighting on moral grounds despite people pointing out thats how Luke defeated the Empire.

So when authors take the literal (read Lucas) approach to the force/morality/jedi code, some rather silly things happen.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Phylodox posted:

I think each Sith is hoping their apprentice will succeed in killing them because that means they've trained a better Sith than they were and thus strengthened the order. A Sith who dies of old age, having either killed all his apprentices or never taken one, would be an abject failure.

At least, that's the interpretation that I've always understood. I think the Sith are most interesting when they're a combination of selfish emotional hedonism and selfless devotion to the whole "survival-of-the-fittest" concept.

There's also the appeal of having a full time ego-stroker who's world revolves around you.

Also some might just be using them as weapons, think Dooku who was just a means to an end for Palpy but theoretically could have figured that out and killed him.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Amrosorma posted:

I'm sure this is hella treaded ground...But isn't that an absolute? :crossarms:

Only "A" Sith. The whole of the Jedi Council can follow an absolute and what he said was true. From a certain point of view...

Moral of the story, ambiguity gives you a way out. (And Obi is a dirty liar who wanted Luke to be knee deep in his philosophy before introducing him to his biological father for fear Luke would listen to that guy instead)

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

ECBoots posted:

"But from my point of view, the Jedi are evil!"

Case in point, free thought and opinion = evil

Makes perfect sense in Lucasworld.

George went to the video game school of morality, the best perks are reserved for the super good/evil. This is opposed to the D&D where you can be neutral and temperament is separate (chaotic/lawful).

All kidding aside, in Georges defense the EU was getting kind of wacky with its interpretation of the force and making arbitrary rules like "you can use dark powers, you just age a bit..." So I can't fault him for wanting to put a stop to that malarkey.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

CommissarMega posted:

I have to admit, this is one of the reasons I like the new Legacy comics so much- we don't have to keep up with Skywalker/Solo family drama, a whole new cast of characters (so I don't have to see an 80-year old Luke backflipping over Sith ninjas), but with all the Star Wars bits I know and love.

Yoda flipped all over the place and he was like 8...00!!!! :colbert:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

arioch posted:

Instead you can have a 20-year-old Luke Skywalker clone with long hair and EDGE backflipping over Sith ninjas. I don't see the improvement.

And for people attributing Lucas for "saving" the EU from whatever, reminder: Force ~*~*~*Cthulhu*~*~*~.

Well theres a lot of retarded things in the EU, Can't George get props for stopping one of them? Obviously theres more to complain about.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

arioch posted:

My point is everything that was retarded to begin with is still chugging along. And somehow got more retarded along the way.

Yeah, I guess if went from Force Ambiguity to Force Extreme Polarity.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

(Stares menacingly at dandelions growing along the back edge of the garage) "Now, witness the firepower of this fully armed and operational weed-whacker!" (Activates weed-whacker, cuts down dandelions) "POWER! UNLIMITED POWER!"

The power to sculpt a lawn is insignificant next to the power of the Home Owners Association.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Torael_7 posted:

Some sit-in protest at a spaceport. When the crowd refused to disperse, he landed on them.

I swear I remember a separate incident being mentioned in one of the books where he does something similar, except rather than landing on them, he fired the engines into the bay on which the town was located and boiled them alive or something...

:allears: Oh that Tarkin.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

All scifi has its good and bad points, but BG made a concerted effort to have realistic physics for all its ships.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2enjkVJb4Mw

Replace Battlestar with Star Destroyer and the results would be the same.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Greedo and Han dont shoot at all. Hug it out.

I hope his suprises are in there fuckin up the prequals. I probably wouldnt notice, only saw 2 and 3 once each...

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I have no problem with them changing Anakin in light of the prequals. But should he be loving old. Since you force ghost into looking like when you died, right?

Qui-gon ghost will show up and say "there is another" when Luke flies off to Bespin

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Yub Yub replaced by celebritory bug orgie.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

Do we know that was Jar Jar, and not just some random Gungan? Like, did Lucas ever say that? All the Gungans talk in the same stupid speech pattern, so it could have been any old Gungan.

Not that it would make things that much better...

I've got a feeling that Imperial antialien propaganda was just a bunch of posters of and commercial freaturing Jar-Jar.

Thank would be a fun photoshop phriday.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Aug 22, 2011

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

OK, posting here because its more alive then the book thread. Just finished reading the Dark nest trilogy review on there. So my question...please nobody get offended, I genuinely don't know. Were the Bug Orgies (TM) more prolific in the books? because the review mad it sound like it was only once in the first book and then referenced a few times after that.

I mean the whole thing sounds awful. And I read the NJO. But just the weak Jacen wants ta be eval cause angst. The Killik having literally no reason to be sided with despite Jedi siding with them because kinky sex? Whatever, so it sucked. Bad.

But yeah is bug orgies just a fun EU meme or was it more relevant/described :cry: in the books?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Bug Orgies were a minor point of the story that took up about 5 pages in the Dark Nest Trilogy. The problem is that the series sucked so badly in every other way too.

Ok, this is exactly what I got from the "lets read" but, I wasnt sure because bug orgies is such a go to meme. So is force cthulu...and I have no Idea about that yet.

But even being once... lets have our next get female jedi super plot character Jiana gently caress a bunch of bugs... Does not seem like a good direction for the EU.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

So I got the Blurays. Boy oh boy are those movies pretty. Havent got through everything yet but I started watching the bonus documentaries first. Highly reccomend "Empire 30 years later". Kershner and Lucas have gotten over their squables and remenice fondly on it. Its surreal to see them talking so amiably after reading "A secret history of Star Wars" (Im not done but I just finished the ESB chapter so I watched the 30years later doc first thing.)

Anyway, watch the 70s/80s making off Doc to see original footage, then see the bluray quality, it is truely mind boggling how amazing it looks. Only watched TPM and I am very pleased with the changes in there. The plot seemed more comprehensable the extra podracing was fun and Yoda is better. Maybe I dont have the nostalgia to be upset at those changes, well see how I feel with the OT.

I havent watched TPM in years, and I swear they added dialog to explain the political games better, or maybe it just made sense to me more this time. but...

Question: The Trade Federation get "Taxed" and thats why they take over Naboo? Who taxed them and how does taking over a planet help them? Are they getting out of the trade buisness and into the overlord buisness? Its obsious Papa P is engineering this conflict to gain power. I just dont get the TF's plan at all. WTF are they doing?

Bonus story. I have a 1.5 year old lil girl and older kids. My 11 year old daughter wanted to watch TPM first because she wanted "the one with Jar-Jar. He's funny" :doh: So I said ok, the toddler is playing around not paying attention and sees a lightsaber fight. She runs off into her room and runs out with a toy lightsaber and a big old grin! Its always been in her toybox but she never new what it was. Now she runs around the house with it and pokes people, giggles madly and runs away. :allears: So I havent totally failed as a parent.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Ringo Star Get posted:

So can those with the Blu Ray confirm that Obi-Wans Blue Parrot Nightclub yell to scare away the sand people is for real?

Literally watching ANH bluray right now, wait 2 minutes for confirm
Luke looking for R2

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Oh God. Its weird...

Sounds like OOOOHHHH then some weird bubbly laser sound. Yeah its in bluray. How loving hard is it to make a dragon roar?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Ringo Star Get posted:

Goddamnit Jorge.

The first half of the yell is fine, but then it gets...wtf.

Edit: well you can hear it on youtube I guess. In 5.1 it was just different and worse then the youtube I saw weeks ago.

Edie 2: Just saw the Han shoots same time. It looks a lot better but his head still does the weird dodge in 1 frame thing...looks bad.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Sep 27, 2011

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Gianthogweed posted:

This is why I think Lucas is just trolling us now. The fact that Greedo shot first wasn't really what bothered us. It's the fact that he shot at all that annoyed us. But of course the t-shirt said Han shot first so he made this change just to gently caress with us. Same with the Noooooo. He knows we hated the nooooo in Sith, so he inserted it into Jedi. Just like the way he inserted Jar Jar into Jedi even though he knows a lot of people hated him.

I was actually just thinking. Or rather realizing this too. The Han shoots first is inaccurate. I want a Greddo DOESN'T shoot. Shirt.

Im not looking forward to the dance number in Jedi. Howevr it is interesting to note that in the made in the 80's making of rotj documentary they say lucas was obsessed with the dance group. A rare case of what he actually wanted all along?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

It works 100x better there

The NoooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooo would make a better dragon cal as well.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I am interested in reading that. Because both the PT villians, Maul and Dooku and Grievous (did he have a drath title?) were not fleshed out in the least, they were evil so the did bad things.

Its like George decided nobody would care about them because they knew they would die by the end so he didn't bother to build them with back stories or anything.

I must be wrong about that though because if that's the case, why bother doing the PT at all as we all know how it ends really.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

This is a big problem I have with the Clone Wars show as well, and why I don't understand why so many people defend it as having such great writing and plots. The villains are all balls-to-the-wall evil who do totally evil things even when it's way beyond their best interests, just because they're evil. And they all have incompetent droid underlings who do stupid things for comic relief. And the heroes are all totally heroic, and the villains are always defeated after a flashy lightsaber fight with a few stock snippy catchphrases from Ashoka. And this is the show that everyone says is a return to the feeling of the OT era?

To be fair AHN is supposed to be a very light thrill ride with black evil and white good. Little moral questions, just a fun fantasy romp. But even in that Obi-Wan got killed off because Lucas didn't want him standing around doing nothing for the last 15 minutes.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

You could argue that Vader had very little backstory in ANH, and was still pretty badass. Of course, he stayed on as the antagonist through all three movies and gradually GOT a backstory and character arc. He would have been less memorable if he'd just died at the end of ANH and there was a new bad guy (also with no backstory) for each movie. Being badass only gets you so far.

I think you hit it exactly there. Vader has 9 minutes of screen time in ANH. Early scripts had Luke board the death star, plant a bomb then duel and kill Vader. He would have been a much less memorable villain then. Like Darth Maul. Maul was pretty badass.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Sep 28, 2011

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

movax posted:

How did I forget to mention that. I literally thought my receiver was glitching out or something, but no, that is apparently what Jorge envisions a krayt dragon sounding like.

Also man, ANH did not age well compared to ESB/ROTJ. Different film stock, or did they change SFX methods between the films?

I dont know but you are right. The lasers bolts on screen look very cheese and like they "float above" the scene. I think all the films were in different states of absolutly destroyed when they brought them out to restore.

http://secrethistoryofstarwars.com/savingstarwars.html

Good article for how bad they were.

Edit: Can someone explain to me the Trade Federations motivation in TPM? All I got from rewatching was they were "taxed" so invasion? I dont get it.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

Cloak of Deception goes into a lot of backstory for it, in a really brilliant and in-depth way. Outwardly the reason is a way to protest the Republic deciding to tax the Outer Rim NAFTA zone; they choose Naboo because Palpatine is the one to propose the taxation to the Senate so they decide to go after his home planet.

Behind the scenes, however, Nute Gunray and the Neimoidians were working with Palpatine/Sidious for a while earlier. The Trade Federation was originally led by a corporate board; at a conference with the Republic to negotiate a tax compromise, the board members are all assassinated (it's implied that Tarkin is the one to carry it out) which allows Gunray to rise to the TF leadership. So Gunray authorizes the invasion in return for getting the position of power he wanted, while the murder of the board of directors gives him the PR reasoning to abandon negotiations and invade.

That makes a little more sense but I am still lost. I get the behind the scenes. But If they are trying to "protest" they do it by invading a planet? If the Republic has the power to tax them surely it has the power to mess them up if they take over a whole planet!!! Palp doesnt care because hes going to use this, but what is Gunray thinking? Is it just "propose laws against us and we enslave your people warning"

Its funny that Amadalas posse gets to the Senate with no "proof" I bet they were all "drat if we only took a holovid while we were getting the hell out of there!"

Edit: Thank you for the explanation!

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Sep 28, 2011

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

SpookyLizard posted:

And yet, the Roger Roger droids are far more endearing than Jar Jar. Also, aren't the battle droids supposed to be centrally controlled? Why did they bother making certain units officers? I could understand them having upgraded or better equipment provided the droids were locally controlled, but since they are remotely controlled from a loving starship in high orbit, without which they all fall down, why are there some sort of commander droids? If they provide actual improved performance/control on the ground, then they should be able to operate without the mothership constantly controlling them. If they can't, then why are they there?

Also, why was the one droid in TPM a corporal? Why do they have ranks at all? Why are they speaking to each other? Why aren't they just getting commands sent to them wirelessly, via binary? I can understand that droids would have a vocabulator thing to talk to other people/droids, but why would the battle droids speak to each other?

It would all make more sense if the COULD act independently of the ship. Then you would have a rank structure and reason for audible communications. Maybe Anikin's torpedo hit the kill switch that shut them all down...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

An audible system could be used for coordinating when RF gets jammed, except they would be making modem noises instead of speaking English to each other.

If RF gets jammed then you lose control of the whole army and they shutoff...so that cant be it.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Sep 29, 2011