Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Lake Jucas posted:

That Plinkett review is awful. It's the Prequels of Plinkett reviews.

I like the part where the very white crew feels comfortable telling kids who they look up too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The Force Awakens bit is easily the worst bit of it.

Well i mean they aren't wrong that it's a bit of a dull nostalgia bait.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Lake Jucas posted:

The other 50 minutes are "Making more than 1 star wars movie is bad because corporations or something."

Eh his point was that it corps suck out any creativity to go with low risk and rather bland products. Which is correct.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

That seems a bit silly when the next Star Wars film appears to be unlike any previous Star Wars film.

Also "low risk" and a film starring a woman and a black guy where the villain is a whiny pissbaby who kills Han Solo don't really go hand-in-hand. If it had been executed worse Han's death could easily have been a Hicks/Newt Ruined Forever moment.

That isn't that impressive anymore. Now had they pushed the interracial romance angle it would have, but they danced around it because you know generic. Though RLM took a weird as gently caress angle with that part.

punchymcpunch posted:

That's why they make the big bucks, polished but generic sells like gangbusters.

Oh I don't doubt it, it's a little bit of a downer but it's hard to care that much.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

You can't make him do something he doesn't want to do, that is illegal.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

DIdn't realize I need to read Plato to understand space shootmans.

You don't, Star Wars isn't based on any feudal system I have ever read about.

Though fuedalism in itself is a catch all term that is actually vastly different per area.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

You are insanely defensive about your lovely heist movie.

Though people expecting a heist movie to have deep or even well defined protagonists are kind of expecting a bit much.

Also what a weird burn with overwatch. Overwatch has no story, on purpose.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Oh that is where the overwatch burn came in, I was completely baffled. It's still weird but it at least isn't random?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I do want to say I appreciate Forrest Whitaker using the same acting style he used in battlefield earth for his character.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

I don't like Galen's master sabotage plan setting up the death star as an intentional failure. I enjoy its destruction being the result of hubris. If it was just galen leaking information about the death star and the need to find the plans. Would certainly play into motti's statement in a new hope about stealing the plans being "a useless gesture, no matter what technical data they've uncovered."

It's the quintessential EU problem of explaining things that need to explanation because they are self evident.

It kind of undercuts it when there is a scene where Vader and the Moffs clearly recognize it as a threat and then kind of drop it in a new hope
I mean had that not happened it would have been fine.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

Something I've just remembered is that, in one of the deleted scenes from ANH with Biggs visiting Luke on Tatooine, one of the things he mentions as evidence of the Empire tightening its grip is that they've started nationalising all of the large companies in the Core worlds, so surely you'd logically expect some ex-Separatist types to join up with the Rebels as well.

George Lucas would be libertarian.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

sportsgenius86 posted:

Isn't the whole point of the first order that someone was hoarding assets in the unknown regions? So it would make complete sense that they would have access to the same type of weapons as the empire.

I mean, I get the vitriol or whatever, but it makes sense.

No one cares if it makes sense, as the it's a story the writer can do whatever and make it makes sense. There is just a reason why it's there, because it plays towards the nostalgia.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

In another universe:

"Where is the First Order getting the research and technology budgets for all this new poo poo? They're not the Empire, it doesn't make sense."

This isn't even a hypothetical, this same two-sided argument happens in the Gundam fandom. If they reuse designs or ideas it's catering to nostalgia and if they invent new ideas it doesn't make any sense, where are they getting the development for these robots?

Gundam is garbage tho.

Gundam also does seem to hung on its past so it is a good comparison, I guess.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

So Neil Breen in a tank top saving the Jedi.

Hell yeah

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Casimir Radon posted:

That's the Black Fleet Crisis which we were talking about. And yes, FOTJ decided to sort of bring Calista back by having Abeloth absorb her at some point. Say what you will about Disney ownership but at least it put an end to these shenanigans for good. Denning was ready to keep going forever until they told him to wrap it up.

Eh it didnt stop them, just changed what they are.

The EU isn't some unique thing, it's the logical progression of trying to milk a franchise for all it's worth.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Megachile posted:

I gotta say I'm with jivjov on this one. Seems like the general cynicism of the thread is overruling the evidence, which Arcsquad has summed up pretty well. It seems like the Story Group won't be cavalier with canon because so far they've been so cautious and slavishly driven by the movies that they're not letting anyone take enough creative risks to ever get in the situation where the greedy higher-ups would have cause to mess with their perfectly organized world. Not that they won't make mistakes, but I guess I'll be surprised if they make an overt decision to override what they've made in the past few years.

I've been let down by the Story Group in lots of ways but most of them are because of their genuine commitment to canon, not in spite of it. Though I guess with FACPOV they've shown (IMO) that loosening the bounds of canon can also make for worse storytelling, so maybe they're just not doing a great job overall.

You... seem to be agreeing with the cynics and disagreeing with Jiv, so um, how do you figure.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

General Battuta posted:

You want it to be that way, but it ain't that way. Movies and TV shows are run by directors and writers, and the story group is going to get in the way of them as little as possible. Movies barely get made on their own terms. The last thing they need is someone else giving notes on their scripts.

There is not a single entertainment property in the world that has ever maintained a self-consistent and self-referencing canon across movies, shows, games, books, tie-ins, etc etc. At best you get the tie-in material consistent with the movies.

The story group is a reference desk, not a creative brain trust. Remember, these movies are made with enough independence that the studio sometimes steps in to fire directors or reshoot poo poo. If something that big can get out of the studio's control, do you think anyone gives a poo poo about the minutiae of Luke's exact location 12 days after Endor with respect to the Story Group Canon established by Star Wars Battlefront 2?

Hell Marvel and DC can't even mange that within their own Spheres to think that Disney could maintain complete canon consistency within three different mediums is insane. They will say what they will because there is no reason not to but it isn't happening.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

jivjov posted:

"Hey if we ignore The Empire Strikes Back, then Return of the Jedi doesn't make sense on its own."

That's the same argument you're making.

No they aren't?

Man your dense.

You argument is that the story group has complete control, if they have complete control then you don't need a tie in novel to explain inconsistencies as they can squash that problem in the womb.

The tie in novel exists to fix mistakes, proving they don't have the control you want them to have.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

If you don't read the book is the mistake unexplained.

Which is hilarious as it functionally isn't different than how the old EU worked, especially at the beginning. The only difference is time.

I mean I know you won't listen as sucking corporate cock is your whole gimmick but whatever.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

It's jijov it was always pointless.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Skoll posted:

So for the vast majority of people who didn't read Inferno Squad (myself included), it looks shallow and lovely still. With zero explanation or characterization basically.

Meet the new EU, same as the old one.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Rad Valtar posted:

People are mad at TFA because it didn't take chances and TLJ because it did. What I'm trying to say is that Star Wars fans are loving idiots who want 17 lightsaber fights in a movie. If you don't like where they went with Luke in this movie then I think you are a tone def tard.

TLJ didn't take any chances.

It pretended to but in the end it winded exactly were any sane person would expect it to

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

thrawn527 posted:

Well this is certainly an opinion.

I'm not going to break down all of the chances it took here, because there's posting spoilers and then there's posting spoilers. But anyone claiming they knew where this movie would go, beyond extremely broad strokes, and maybe assuming the death of Luke (though even then, pretending to know how it would happen is crazy) is straight up lying to you.

You know what, gently caress it, here's a few.

- Making the maverick fly boys, who usually go against authority and save the day, go against authority and gently caress everything up.
- Del Toro's character is basically the "smuggler with a heart of gold" stereotype, except we learn he has no heart of gold, and sells out our heroes, leaving the movie, payment in hand, no redemption, no consequences.
- Leia is shown to be able to use the Force beyond "sensing" people. You can say that's not taking a chance, but plenty of Star Wars fans are loving pissed about it, for some reason.
- Snoke, the big bad that was built up in the last movie? Ganked in movie two, instead of keeping him around to complete the trilogy.
- Having Kylo turn at the end of this movie, or having Rey turn, leaving a mystery open for the beginning of the next movie as to if she truly turned, both would have been perfectly safe, expected endings. But nope, Kylo full evil, supreme leader.
- Taking Luke Skywalker, one of the most famous heroes in movie history, be wallowing in guilt over considering killing his own nephew in his sleep, and having that lead to the destruction of almost everything he held dear, is certainly a pretty big chance to take, as opposed to just "The Continuing Adventures of Luke Skywalker" like the old EU became.

lol literally none of these are important or unexpected.

Though you list the Kylo thing as a twist when it would have been 100times more interesting and unexpected had it went the way you poo poo on. That is the one area I agree where it could have been important and changed poo poo in a manner that just wasn't cosmetic.

Star Wars is ultimately still stuck in the same problem it has been since the beginning. The last Jedi had a chance to take a risk and try and do something different, but in the end it went the safe easy route.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

So is everyone wrong? Like, people who are criticising it because it's changed Star Wars for the worse and people who are praising it because it's taken Star Wars in a new direction?

Because, honestly, it would be real a load off my mind if everybody's wrong. :v:
Honestly yeah, but I think people where expecting a 1:1 remake of Empire and the FA isn't even that for a new hope.

thrawn527 posted:

Really? Even the last one I mentioned? That was expected? And unimportant?

You really don't see how TLJ is radically different from the safe TFA? I love both, but for very different reasons.
I do agree it's not as safe but I don't think the issues it tries to address are the core issue and the core issue with safe Star Wars is reaffirmed not subverted.

Also yeah I expected that to happen and was more surprised the one character lived than anything.

kimbo305 posted:

Really? Not even this:

instead of just narrowly dodging out of the room thanks to some force sensitivity?

Okay I didn't expect that you have me there.

It was dumb but that wasn't the question.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Casimir Radon posted:

I'm kind of wondering if the original plan might have been to have Leia be the only one to live and Carrie's death might have hosed that up.

I think it's more likely they were doing one per movie

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm less sure about that. Maybe I'm relying on a small reference pool, but before it was released I never got the impression that people were generally expecting it to be an ESB remake. I thought the main attitude was "TFA was more or less the same as ANH to set up the new status quo and characters; TLJ will go in a new direction". I have to say, "It isn't a 1:1 Empire remake," isn't one of the criticisms I've seen a lot of so far. :shrug:

So you never heard the complaint that FA was a new hope remake.

Where you living under a rock.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

thrawn527 posted:

Oh. Okay then.

This was all over the place here on the forums. It's not a complaint now because people were worried like hell about it, and are happy it isn't true. But people were already assuming it would be, due to TFA, and when the images of the First Order Walkers and the new Super Star Destroyer, people just become ever more sure it was just going to be an ESB remake. This part, I think, you must have been under a rock for.

Or you stayed out of the CD Star Wars thread, which would have probably been a good idea.

I think you think there is some kind of contraction there but there isn't.

A movie can be not as safe as the safest movie ever without taking any real risks.

As you so helpfully showed in the list of supposed risks you pointed out. As they are only risks if you assume the movie is a 1:1 copy. Therefore the prequels where a risk by your logic.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 19, 2017

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

thrawn527 posted:

From what I understand, Carrie Fisher had finished filming, but died before they were able to do any of the ADR. Which Rian Johnson said to a couple iffy audio takes, where they did what they could, but couldn't fix all of them. The only one I noticed was near the beginning, "For the record, I agree with the droid on this one." sounded off, to me.

The prequels absolutely were a risk. Taking the Jedi, whom we knew to be the guardians of peace and justice for a thousand generations, into the bureaucratic do nothings who won't life a finger to end slavery, and are shown time and time again to be wrong about just about everything, was a pretty big risk. Whether or not anyone thinks that was a good idea is irrelevant to the fact that George did not make safe movies with the prequels, and internet nerds have been mad at him about it ever since.

Also, given how mad a lot of people (idiots) are about how they destroyed the character of Luke Skywalker, I'd say what they did there was a pretty big risk. But I think we just disagree on the meaning of the word, at this point.

Most of what you describe seems to be fan constructs rather than anything George intended.

I don't think George was trying o make Anakin a whiny shithead to be risky but more for lovely writting.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

sportsgenius86 posted:

All I’ve really learned here is that there’s a lot of hardcore nerds that seem to want an exact remake that’s not an exact remake.

I would like A Star Wars movie to try something different instead of being stuck in the same route for 30 god drat years,

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Rad Valtar posted:

I'm starting to believe the crazy guy in the CD thread that most Star Wars fans don't actually like Star Wars.

You honestly shouldn't at this point.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Wait I thought the resistance was the new republic.

Making them two different factions is beyond dumb.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Teek posted:

Pablo has been talking about the novelization non-canon conflict factors for the last few years. It's not a gotcha. His answer then was the same as now, the novelizations are written before the author has seen the movie and before the final cut is locked. So the novelizations are just adaptations that are canon unless a conflict arises from a canon source.

Meaning Unkar Plutt had his arms ripped off by Chewie until it's conflicted by a later movie, book, tv show or comic.

The TLJ novel is actually coming out in a few months, which is usually not the norm, they usually hit the same month the movie comes out. Which leads me to think it was actually being delayed to help address this very issue.

Eh it is a gotcha because before the argument was the story group had equal control over Canon.

Which we know isn't true and only jivjov cares about.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

The New Republic is not involved in the war. The Resistance is basically Leia taking her influence and running her own personal army because nobody else will do it. It's a literal plot point in the film.

That's so dumb.

It's also dumb I missed it, so everything is dumb.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

jivjov posted:

Is it dumb because you weren't paying attention, dumb because it wasn't what you personally wanted/expected from the sequel trilogy, or dumb for an actual articulable reason?

The first and third.

That was kind of the point of the post

Having two quasi independent factions warring inside a government body that isn't tied to feudalism is insane.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

jivjov posted:

Uhhhh, okay. Yeah. No non-feudal governments have ever had factions. Right.

Outside of street fighter nope.

This would not count as streetfighting.

Though these aren't state factions either way, as state factions are specifically not autonomous. As their whole point is working within the state.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Not within their own state no as it's loving stupid.

I never said anything about realism, I said it was dumb.

You were the one arguing realism until it became untenable.

Shameful even for you jivjov.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Being stupid doesn't mean it's a thing that doesn't actually happen.

I can't think of a good example outside of feudalism. Which even then the Kings didn't leave them alone out of apathy.

Usually it was because the main state was to weak to interfere, not indifferent.

Hell if there is one thing that is consistent throughout history is that if the state is threatened they will do everything they can to destroy it.

Though like I said realism or not doesn't matter it's just dumb way to make the resistance the underdogs.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jan 3, 2018

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yeah that's all fine.

The thing that gets me is that it destroyed their ENTIRE fleet and killed the New Republic completely. They had their entire fleet in one star system? They didn't have ships out elsewhere? And they all just surrendered and their government ceased to exist when their capital was destroyed? If someone nuked Washington D.C., would the United States immediately capitulate to whoever did it and dissolve their government?

The way to fix this would be if they said "the Republic still exists, it's just in a state of chaos with its capital destroyed and greatly weakened with half of its fleet taken out." When the Resistance was running away from the First Order, they could have said they were trying to rendezvous with what was left of the Republic's fleet.

Then the conflict could have been the weakened Republic defending its territory and staging a counteroffensive to drive the First Order out of Republic space. That would have been way, way better than "lol welp the Empire is in charge again and we have a tiny band of Rebels trying to overthrow them again."

That is why Lei should have just been a commander of the New Republic in charge of dealing with this particular threat while also having other threats that forced the republic to divert funds and divide its attention like rebellions to keep it simple.

Would make more sense and would definitely make a large strike shattering the Republic make more sense. Have the first order pick up some pieces making them stronger than resistance but not Empire level power.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 3, 2018

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

General Battuta posted:

Unbelievably, jivjov is right. It's not just realistic for a government to sponsor a resistance group against a foe without declaring war on the foe themselves; it's incredibly commonplace.

The US armed and crewed the Flying Tigers fighting Japan in China, because the US didn't want to get involved in open war. The US sent pilots, money, and equipment to Britain to fight Germany. The US loves to prop up rebellions against regimes it doesn't like (in Libya and Syria, for example). The US armed the mujahideen in Afghanistan to fight the Soviets. The US is a big supporter of Taiwan. The US armed and funded right-wing terrorists in Italy. The US sponsored an invasion of Cuba. The US supported the Contra rebels in Nicaragua. The - well, you get the point.

The idea that the New Republic would avoid open war but instead (probably through the actions of a few sympathetic senators) fund a bunch of die-hard Rebels to go fight the First Order with plausible deniability is extremely realistic and good.

Jivjov is not right and it's not realistic.

A government would never, ever fund a resistance group against a domestic enemy. As that is pointlessly stupid.

If it's so realistic give me one example, just one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

jivjov posted:

Did...did you not read the post you just quoted? Also, the First Order isn't a domestic enemy. They're a separate military power.

Do you know what domestic is.

Because not one of those examples are domestic, while the first order explicitly is.