Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

That's not true, the MMO is basing its entire plot around the events in KoTOR 2. The entire "True Sith" empire brought up in KoTOR 2 is the enemy in the MMO.

I've been ignoring the MMO more the most part, but the "True Sith" in the one trailer I saw looked like garden-variety Sith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

That Awful Nick posted:

Mission Objective: Kill all the Jawas and destroy their Sandcrawler

That was pretty much the DLC from TFU

quote:

Exactly that is the whole point. By "True-sith" they mean the original Sith species and dark jedi who fought with Naga Sadow in the Great Hyperspace War. When they lost the remnants fled into the unknown regions to rebuild. Between then and now all the "Sith" that came up like Exar Kun and Revan were just basing their teachings on the Sith way and were not actually bred Sith. These guys are.

That seems kind of...underwhelming. Especially considering the build-up Kreia gave them I was expecting something a little more unorthodox. But that's probably my fault for hyping it up in my own head.

I mean, why would Revan have to go off and face them on his own if they were nothing but another conventional Sith threat. You'd think he could just tell the Jedi there was some wicked poo poo going on over in some unexplored region of space and to prepare instead of going off on his own, cutting ties with everything, and telling no one but a crazy old lady, who may or may not betray him.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Aug 15, 2010

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Big Mean Jerk posted:

How can you post that and skip over the part that said Aaron Allston is writing a new Wraith Squadron novel?

:monocle:

quote:

Hand of Judgment is an upcoming novel by Timothy Zahn set for release on July 19, 2011.[1] It will be set shortly after the Allegiance novel and will feature Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Princess Leia, Chewbacca, Mara Jade, Thrawn and the Hand of Judgment.[2]

I don't care if writing anything about the Big 3 between EP IV and V is dicey ground, Stover and Zahn are the only two authors that can write them worth a drat.

Oh god EU I love you so much baby I'm sorry for all that I said

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

T-1000 posted:

He left it in a good place when the original series ended. Back when the enemy were the Empire and things made sense. You fought British dudes with snazzy uniforms and evil schemes. None of this fighting-spaceships-made-of-plants crap.

There is no reason why he can't have Wraith Squadron still fighting in the pre-NJO era. This was some behind-the-scenes commando squad anyway and the SW universe is huge, there is no reason they have to be involve in some huge galaxy spanning conflict that the Big 3 are a part of. Hell you can just have them fighting space pirates and it would be still great.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

DougieC posted:

You could easily sit them in a post-LOTF era. Or any era. The point of Wraith Squadron is they stir poo poo up with whacky schemes to destabalise enemies. Pirate gangs, warlords etc. can be set pretty much anywhere from 6ABY onwards. They could stick it in Legacy era if they wanted.

I would be kind of amusing to have Wraith Squadron giving running commentary to the poo poo going on in the post-NJO era.

"Man that Jacen is a dick."
"Seriously, and why is the government so stupid right now. Well at least his sister will bring him down"
"You didn't hear? She's off goofing around with some mandalorians"
"Mandalorians? Why the hell is she wasting so much of her time with them? What do they have to do with anything?"
"I don't know but she's always been a little off. Did you here she lived with a bunch of bugs...and you know...did things"
"When did the galaxy get so stupid"

It would be like I, Jedi

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 16, 2010

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

T-1000 posted:

The thing I can't stand about the Clone Wars cartoon was when Anakin killed the gundark and used the pommel of his lightsaber to play its skeleton like a xylophone. He strikes the same rib twice in succession, yet he produces two clearly different tones. I mean, what are we to believe, that this is some sort of a magic xylophone or something? Boy, I really hope somebody got fired for that blunder.

What Star Wars needs is an edgy new character to appeal to a younger generation...ah poo poo.

At least we don't have someone named Poochy :(

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

WampaLord posted:

Well, he inherited that Noghri slavery thing from Vader. It's kind of like the two wars with Obama, I can't really blame him for them.

Thrawn does kill an underling at one point for making a mistake, a la Vader. But another time he forgives one and promotes him for at least trying to fix the problem. So, I don't know. I think living under Emperor Thrawn wouldn't have been too bad overall.

Didn't Thrawn kill the guy because he screwed up and then blamed it on his lack of training?

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Someone needs to recon that for the Marvel comics. Especially since, thanks to LOTF, it's harder to ignore.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Throb Robinson posted:

Only sperglords can't find Marvel comics fun cause they don't fit into Canon.

Marvel comics introduced Lumiya, therefore Marvel comics suck :colbert:

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

T-1000 posted:

I freaking hate how they shoehorn references to the prequels into the EU as the movies came out. People only made passing references to it for forty years, then it's like everyone only just remembered all those things that happened.

Yeah, early EU books made it seem like that era was completely purged from the galaxy. Not just records but people's memories too. Luke had to fight and dig for every single tiny little bit of information regarding the Jedi that he could find and usually considered himself lucky to find the equivalent of a doodle drawn by Yoda on a napkin.

Along comes the PT and the EU needed to shoehorn poo poo in and now everyone has a loving story or item from that era

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Yeah I thought the combo system, with the exception of a couple of moves, was annoying and didn't do much other than add some more "wow, acrobatics!" moves to the game. 90% of everything I did involved force pushing some enemy into another enemy or over a rail, usually after I charged them with lightning.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Bonzo posted:

Ok so I see how thing runs in the Skywalker family now, you just assign yourself titles right?

Like how Luke is a Jedi Grandmaster now and not just plan ol' Jedi Master. Never mind that people like Yoda were 900 years old and more powerful then Luke and there are current Jedi in the Order that are more powerful then him but he still gets to make up his own title.

Anakin had more potential than Yoda, and wasn't Luke supposed to be as powerful as pre-sunburned Anakin?

And Kyp doesn't count as more powerful than Luke because:
1) KJA
2) He's an assclown

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Throb Robinson posted:

I just thought he became a bigger dick and learned nothing from his retarded adventure with KJA.

ding ding ding

I love how KJA went ahead and created a character who is supposed to be the most (or one of) powerful Jedi in the universe and nearly every single EU author either ignores him or makes him some reckless, bumbling idiot

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Yeah, if you're singlehandedly rebuilding the Jedi order, which consists entirely of you at that point, you can call yourself whatever you drat well please. If Yoda wants to argue about it he'll have to get his rear end out of a little hut in a swamp.

"What's that Yoda? You giving me more poo poo? I'm sorry I couldn't hear you over all the me getting down to business taking out the two Sith Lords that kicked your candy rear end all the way to the swamp"

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Pops Mgee posted:

Back to the whole force aneurysm discussion, would you really want the jedi to be even more powerful?

"Oh hey a bunch of battledroids what are we going to do?"
"Don't worry I can just make them all overload with my mind and there won't be any tension or danger at all."

The Jedi are already way too overpowered and them being able to instakill the already useless enemies would just make the movies even more boring than they already are.

One of the worst things the EU (particularly games) did was make people think that Jedi were just some video game character who could use all these amazing powers with the flick of a button. In the OT, Jedi and Sith had powers but outside of increased jumping ability, excellent reflexes/anticipation, and force directed object throwing, they really didn't show much while in battle.

I just like to say the reason Jedi didn't go around doing that was because it requires focus and concentration and it's loving hard to pull that off if something is trying to kill you. Vader had that impressive display of throwing a bunch of poo poo at Luke but he clearly was having to split his concentration between throwing and keeping Luke from hacking him to pieces

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Darth Maul is awesome and I refuse to believe otherwise.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Slantedfloors posted:

Or pick up something really heavy and drop it on him repeatedly.

The only 3 Jedi/Sith we saw ever able to pull off something like that in any of the movies were Vader, Sidious, and Yoda, three of some of the most powerful Force users ever.

Again, gently caress the EU and cartoons for making every Jedi look like supermen/space wizards who control like a video game character

quote:

For me the 'Jedi not using the Force' thing is less 'they're not ending the battles in half a second with overpowered force powers' and more 'oh poo poo, we need to end this fight quickly - Force power'. You see it loads during the prequels and TV series.

TPM: Obi-wan and Qui-Gon use force speed (for the only time ever in G-cannon material) to get away from the destroyer droids, then forget to use it to catch up with Darth Maul in the final duel.

RotS: Obi-wan remembers that he can force push Grievous about ten minutes too late, and also ignores the fact that he can push him down a several hundred foot sink hole.

I'll agree that the fights are just horrible excuses to do fancy acrobatics, but I don't see how they are as bad as people are making them out to be. The force speed thing I'll give you, but you could argue that using it would probably require concentration/focus. Concentration/focus which a Jedi would probably need to keep from having a Sith hack him to pieces.

As for Grievous, people have already given good explanations.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Aug 30, 2010

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Derek Dominoe posted:

That's why Vader could pull welded metal off of walls and toss them in ESB--Luke couldn't stop him. Vader even says before they start that "The Force is strong with you...but you are not a Jedi yet"--implying that he could already sense his inability to control the Force in combat.

Vader also was clearly effected when he did that stunt too. The momentary lapses in concentration, or even just the pauses in his saber attack, were clearly visible. If Luke were anything more than an out-of-control, stupid hick who stumbled across a lightsaber, Vader could have been in trouble.

Look at Dooku, a pretty powerful guy, when he busted out lightning for the first time. It wasn't just something he whipped out. If Obi and Anakin weren't incapacitated or if Yoda wasn't so far away, he probably would have gotten a saber to the face.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Aug 30, 2010

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

"Aaron, I know you are a silly guy but...Darth Vectivus, that Anakin robot thing which controls Centerpoint...that was a little too silly"

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Angry Midwesterner posted:

:spergin:: No because you see the Emperor was really using this technique call Battle Meditation (TM) the whole time he was talking to Luke, just you can't see it unless you know what to look forraaahghaghahhaha

You could argue that if Vader wasn't on the Death Star trying to turn Luke, he'd be on his Star Destroyer leading the battle. Or even on his TIE chasing Wedge down the shaft.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

WampaLord posted:

He basically said that she was a great character who still had plenty of use in her, and that Star Wars isn't really the kind of universe where you kill off people just to "up the drama."

Once again, Zahn proves that he is one of the only people who gets Star Wars EU.

Stover manages to write a darker, more dramatic novel than anyone else in the EU. And does it without killing off someone else's characters

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I pretty much hated TFU because it was a lovely PC port and had the most frustrating boss battles. I refuse to believe that the final duel with Vader can be won with anything other than blind luck. Refuse.

Despite all this I did find the battle system enjoyable when I was allowed to just Force throw poo poo all over the place and not have to deal with any of the annoying melee mechanics. And the Tatooine and Hoth levels were 10x more enjoyable than the actual game. I was great playing Darth Vader on crack

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Clemen posted:

I figured vadar out about the 5th time in. You gotta throw things at him. But yea hes basically impossible at high difficulty.

I don't remember there being anything to throw at him in the Death Star throne room. All I remember was that there were only a couple of counters (getting around him when he's charging up to hit him, countering his saber attacks) and he recovered so drat quickly and the PC controls were so awkward and the camera angles so terrible that all I ended up doing was putting myself into a situation to get my rear end kicked.

The lovely, fixed camera angles coupled with the terrible PC controls really did make boss battles impossible to enjoy.

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Sep 10, 2010

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The Han in that was roughly a million times better than EU Han.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I like how in the same thread we can bitch about the terrible state of the EU and then go on to talk about how we wish there was a reboot/someone else taking charge from Lucas.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I wish you guys would stop talking about the Clone Wars cartoon like its really good and that I'm missing out on something. I keep wanting to pick it up but I couldn't even finish the first season which I have on DVD.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The show had a drat Jar-Jar episode and is even worse with the "ROGER ROGER" stuff than any of the prequels. I don't understand it when people trash the prequels for stuff like that and then talk about how the cartoon stands apart from the prequels in quality.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

NGL posted:

Did you watch Trespass? The Ryloth episodes? The Lair of Grievous? You do own them, after all. The show really picks up halfway through season 1.

Yeah, I believe I got to episode 16 when I just stopped caring to put the DVD back in to finish it off. I'll finish it one day because I want to give season 2 a chance for some reason, I just don't understand all the raving about it or how it seems to get away with the exact same poo poo that people bitch about Lucas doing.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Epi Lepi posted:

Took me a minute to remember that's what she calls the people that disagree with her. Too much time reading the Mass Effect 2 thread made me think "What's that got to do with Tali?"

Same here but in reverse for me

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Minorkos posted:

Oh man

I don't know if this has been brought up yet but:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCTfMlAMn5M

"This is Jedi Mind Trick, it's a brand new Force power, and just like all of our other Force powers, we've completely re-envisioned it from the films...

... and on higher levels, they'll (mind tricked enemies) actually explode, they'll turn into like roaming smart bombs and they'll run into packs and explode"

"We took the Force pull power and made some enhancements. Now at higher levels you can literally make the air around you explode. We also took Force jump and gave it the ability to turn you into a rocket"

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The NJO authors couldn't seem to agree on just how powerful the Jedi and Vong were in relation to each other. At one point, the NJO seemed to imply that

Regular NR troops < Jedi < Vong < Lando's super-awesome droids which half of the later authors seemed to completely ignore.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Bonzo posted:

Someone on Reddit posted links to updated version of X-Wing an Tie Fighter. They look pretty good!
http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/do1fn/did_you_love_xwing_tie_fighter_andor_xwing/

gently caress you because now I am pissed off I can't find my USB adapter for my joystick

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

watching the Star wars episode 3 rifftrax and, while I knew this before, its really made me see how instantly Anikan goes from loving Obi wan to HATING HIS VERY BEING. I also never understood why they have that "hey Obi sorry for being a dick" and Obi is like "Yeah its cool you're cool but try to chill out" then the next time you see Anikan he is all hating on Obi Wan for visiting Padme.

It makes no seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeense

I always liked that scene between them. It's their last moment together as friends and it's probably one of the only scenes in the PT that you feel any sort of brotherhood between them.

I will agree it was very bipolar though

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Ein Bear posted:

What the gently caress.

So does this mean the Rebels had a nigh-unstoppable Jedi badass on their side throughout the entire OT, and just decided not to use him because they didn't want to depend on him?

That reads like the ending of a sitcom or cartoon where the characters all learn a very important lesson

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Alderaan isn't destroyed, they just created a copy of the planet to fool the Empire!

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Did Luke know that Palpatine was a sith lord at the time he confronted him in ROTJ? He certainty gives the impression of an old crippled man before using the lightning. Luke seemed pretty surprise at it.

Yoda did warn Luke to not underestimate the powers of the Emperor, so if he thought the Emperor was just some old man with a crown then that was his own fault.

Then again, Yoda did kind of give him a lovely warning and no preparation anyway.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

You know, for someone who had a long drawn out fight with the Emperor and 800 years of general experience, Yoda didn't tell Luke poo poo.

"I came back to finish my training"
"No, uh, I think you did pretty good the last time. I mean, you almost got killed and Vader was taking it easy on you, but still, you're good. Thanks for stopping by"

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Bieber Fever in the new Blu-Ray release!

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Why the gently caress is everyone so gung-ho about a reboot? EU shows that other people are just as able and inclined to gently caress up Star Wars as Lucas himself. And I'd take a million AOTC over a single TFU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

"What if Luke had dark hair and a scar on his face?"
"What if Tatooine was more like...Pandora?!"