Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

HELLO I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT MY VERY STRONG OPINIONS

This thread prompted me to re-read the X-Wing series recently. There are plot holes you could drive a SSD through but dang are they fun reading and I'd recommend them to anyone. More problems in life should be solved by cramming a genius level Gamorrean into a smuggling compartment with a stripped-down X-Wing laser and launching him into space with an R2 unit bolted on top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

Astribulus posted:

It's the other way around, actually. Grievous gets crushed in the series since Lucas got a cold and decided to give his cough to Grievous in the film. I've misplaced the link to the Tartakovsky interview, but it was earlier in this thread. According to him the entire Windu/Grievous scene had to be reanimated the day before airing to explain why he's suddenly asthmatic in episode III.

Seriously? loving seriously? HE GOT A COLD AND CHANGED THE STORY BECAUSE OF IT? gently caress you George, gently caress you forever. I'd say that has to be Tartakovsky trolling, but going by George's track record, gently caress, I'll believe it.

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

Fox of Stone posted:

I like how people say the Empire didn't care much for its soldiers when both TIE flight suits and stormtrooper armor protected the user from the vacuum of space as well as unusually high and low heating conditions. Good luck getting Porkins to hold his breath.

Alliance pilot flight suits use a magnetic field* to hold some air and heat in if they go EVA, it's brought up regularly in the X-Wing books (because all of the rogues/wraiths would be dead as hell if they didn't have them).

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Magcon

*magic

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

RagnarokAngel posted:

I admit I may be wrong but can't they not hold up to SUSTAINED fire which from an AK-47 is more likely than a single round?

Once the plate gets hit it's pretty much done if it gets hit in the same spot again afaik. I toured Coors ceramics once and they had a plate they'd made with 3 rounds stopped in it, but in different locations. Also, angle of impact is really important, if the dude in that video got hit straight on instead of half turned away from the shooter his vest plates might have slowed the bullet but would probably not have stopped it.

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

Grendels Dad posted:

This is a page old, but I read it and instantly thought of a lightmace, and how stupid a lightmace would be.

Please tell me there is no lightmace?

Kinda. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lightclub

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

Nckdictator posted:

Medstar I and II - Imagine MASH in space. Pretty good and ties in to Shadow Hunter and the Coruscant Nights books.

I haven't read any Star Wars books newer than the one where chewie died but I just bought Medstar I due to your recommendation, I hope this isn't a trick. :ohdear:

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

Nckdictator posted:

Granted it's been a few years since I read it but I recall it was pretty good. Let me know what you think of it!

I'm most of the way through it, it's pretty enjoyable so far. It's certainly no x-wing series, but it's no darksaber either.

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

I tore through the Medstar books on Nckdictator's recommendation and they were good enough. This whetted my appetite for new (to me) star wars books so I picked up Shadows of Mindor...parts of it are good, but Luke is just so loving emo that I can barely stand the parts with him in it, and sigh with relief when the story goes back to other characters.

What new non-FotJ/NJO book should I read after I finish Shadows? And by new I don't mean in the EU timeline, just published after NJO books started coming out and I quit reading star wars books for the most part.

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

Nckdictator posted:

If you're looking for straight up action them I'd go with this.

http://www.amazon.com/Han-Solo-Adventures-Revenge-Legacy/dp/0345379802/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1313110424&sr=8-4

They were published in 79 before the major EU was established and have Han hanging aroud in the Corporate Sector with no mention of the Empire.

I've read those, they do own, thanks though. I've read all of the star wars books that came out before NJO started making GBS threads over everything :smith:

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

I just finished reading Mercy Kill, as I am way gay for X-Wing books, much like the rest of you lot. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't as good as the older Rogue/Wraith squad books in my opinion.

Piggy being the main character was cool, but when did he turn space-racist against the Vong? I haven't read many of the new books after the Salvatore ones but I was taken aback at how much of a dick he was being to Scut. Also repeatedly mentioning that Myri was OMG WEDGE'S DAUGHTER and the Wedge shows up and does a partial saving of the day felt a bit ham-handed but whatever Wedge is cool regardless.

The ending did feel cool though, in traditional Wraith Squad~=A-team I love it when a plan comes together style.

Also gently caress you amazon for making me think I was only 70% done with the book but instead the rest is just samples from books I've already read or don't really care about :mad:

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

Metal Loaf posted:

You might say Fett has been... Fettishized.

YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Oh god, that's terrible. I found the Bounty Hunter back stab chart though:

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

As a child/teen, Boba Fett was the baddest dude ever. I even read the Bounty Hunter Trilogy and thought he was still hard as hell. Now all I can think about when I hear that name is him weeping in the sarlacc pit Robot Chicken style. Thanks, internet.

...Bossk still gets my sympathy though, nothing ever goes right for that homicidal sociopath lizard.

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Hoping Ep8 is a Darksaber adaptation. I don't even know if it's a real hope or an ironic hope. I just want to see Darksaber on the big screen. Also the Bounty Hunter Wars books or whichever the incredibly convoluted one was.

Basically I want them to do all the poo poo that's so stupid it becomes funny again.

If it has bossk tripping over his own feet or running into a door I'll pay 14 bucks just to see that. Reminder:

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

SeanBeansShako posted:

I love the fact that Bossk and Fett are in weird two handed back stabbing circle with that graph. That Lets Read of those books is one of my favourites. Did Ricky add it to that blog he was working on?

Nope. http://libraryforlorn.blogspot.com/

His other Let's Read's are great though.

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

Robot Wendigo posted:

I watched it when it first aired on television. I remember being so excited.

That didn't last.

33% of the people I've showed that to (with riffs) made it through the whole thing. It is the star wars version of the bubonic plague.

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

Hannibal Rex posted:

Check out Vernor Vinge's A Fire Upon the Deep, and A Deepness in the Sky. Maybe the Expanse.

Seconding these being good-non star wars. A Deepness in the Sky was notable for me, a massive arachnophobia, because a good chunk of the book is from the perspective of horrifying giant spiders and I felt massive amounts of empathy for them.

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

That bounty hunter trilogy backstab chart is so so amazing, and I was really sad when I couldn't find it years after seeing it initially. When I found it again, I saved it locally, on 2 different bits of hardware, emailed it to myself, and dropboxed it.

Because holy poo poo those books. *exhales* kuat of kuat of kuat boba fett always wins bossk sucks also rear end-spider.

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

thracken sal-solo. I really hope I'm remembering that incorrectly, because the whole corellian trilogy was impressively dumb.

e: whew I hosed a vowel up but yeah this https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Thrackan_Sal-Solo those books also gave us han solo engaging in melee combat with a huge space-otter

Vanadium Dame fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

Casimir Radon posted:

Thracken was annoying in the original series he was conceived for. Then they stuck him in the NJO and had him grab the Centerpoint controls away from Anakin, and killed a bunch of Hapans, taking them out of the war. Then he shows up again as some sort of Peace Brigade official. Then LOTF made him head of Correlia or something. He also made a robot that thought it was Anakin Solo, remember that? As worthless garbage of a series as it was at least they finally killed him off in it.

thank you for making me incredibly glad that I stopped reading the EU after R.A. Salvatore dropped a moon on chewie