Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Jervas Dudley posted:

Wait, she has a sword on her hip...and no hands...how does she use that sword? How does she even pull it out?!

Good thing you guys just said Allston is writing a new Wraith Squadron book, and that there's a new book with Thrawn coming too, or I might be giving up on Star Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Fnoigy posted:

Ok, really stupid question here, but why, exactly, does everybody hate The Galactic Empire? I mean, yea, it's ruled by the Sith lord and his apprentice, but nobody in the movies ever really say what the Empire does that really is so bad, other than taking extreme measures to pacify a violent rebellious uprising, but what ELSE do they do that everybody hates? What made the Rebellion start other than the fact that it was an empire rather than a republic?

Concerning what made the Rebellion start, someone else will have to cover that because I hear that's retconned in The Force Unleashed, so anything I know there will now be wrong.

As for what they did wrong, you have to remember what Tarkin said at the beginning of A New Hope. The Emperor has disbanded the Senate, and fear of the Death Star will now keep the local systems in line. Which means that the Emeperor has now abolished the body of duly elected representatives, placed appointed Governors in charge who are allowed to do whatever they want, and if you don't like it the Empire can blow up your planet, quite possibly destroying everything and everyone you have ever known. That's about as evil as you can get this side of kicking puppies.

Also, this isn't covered in the movies (other than an off-hand comment by the officer in the detention center) but the Empire is extremely xenophobic. They enslaved the entire Wookiee planet, and I think we can agree that slavery is pretty drat bad.

edit: Also, yeah, those things mentioned in the OP.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I'm wondering how long we can get away with this line of conversation before Mad Hammish starts cracking skulls.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Fnoigy posted:

Makes sense to me! I think they should have alluded to that more thoroughly in the movies, though. Hell, you could have called the Rebel Alliance "terrorists" and would have little to no trouble putting a whole different spin on the entire trilogy.

Not really. Again, the Empire blew up a planet. A planet filled with innocent people.

Also, keep in mind that when Lucas wrote A New Hope, he was writing as an allegory for the Vietnam War, with the Emperor as a useless Nixon type president. He saw the Empire as the eventual result of a country like America. Lucas used to be political. (well, he used to be slightly more subtle about it)

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Duckman2008 posted:

haha i don't remember that part of the books, who was that?

Not in any of the books. They were posts made by Crowetron that were hilarious, in response to the book walk-throughs.

Here's some:

Crowetron posted:

"Grand Admiral Thrawn, we've received a coded Imperial request. It seems your presence is requested at a...'mofference'."

"...get the gently caress out of my office."

Crowetron posted:

"Grand Admiral Thrawn, our spies have reported that Han Solo and Leia Organa were spotted entering...uh, well, the Hologram Fun World, sir."

"...who let you back into my office?"

Crowetron posted:

"Grand Admiral Thrawn, joyous news! You've been invited to the wedding of Princess Leia Organa to our Emperor Trioculus! Well, he's not the only Emperor at the moment, cuz there also this Kadann guy, and he's some sort of crazy magic prophet or something, and he declared himself..."

"Who even are you?"

Crowetron posted:

"Grand Admiral Thrawn, terrible news! Again, the Empire has lost its leader! Emperor Trioculus was assassinated!"

"Was it...artistically done?"

"Um...not really, no. A robot copy of Princess Leia burned a hole in his chest with eye lasers in the middle of his wedding."

"Get the fu...wait a second, what?"

Crowetron posted:

"Grand Admiral Thrawn, I have very important news!"

"Oh, for chrissakes..."

"Apparently, Palpatine's son himself had a child!"

"Wait, the one who got shot in the chest by robot-Leia?"

"Uh, no. Turns out Palpatine's son was a different three-eyed mutant. But the Emperor's Grandson is none of than the Jedi Prince!"

"...what does 'Jedi Prince' mean?"

"Apparently nothing, sir."

"Wonderful."

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Fnoigy posted:

Everything I've ever heard about the EU makes it seem like an enormous clusterfuck.

Best part is, those were all from one series of books. (I'm assuming you're referring to Crowetron's quotes I reposted.)

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Duckman2008 posted:

Amazingly I know the exact poo poo book series you guys are talking about, I think I read them in 5th grade. I'm forgetting though what EU stands for? My favorite is apparently the "Glove of Darth Vader" is where he gets his mysterious choking power.

EU stands for Expanded Universe. And if you'd like a Glove of Darth Vader nostalgia trip, feel free to check out the Terrible Star Wars Books Thread. Those books were the reason it was started.

(At the risk of pimping my own thread, any chance the link can be added to the OP?)

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Drighton posted:

The Secret History of Star Wars. I really need to get this book.

You really do. It's a great book, worth every penny.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Aug 16, 2010

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Drighton posted:

Where'd you hear this? I like collecting this stuff (mentally, otherwise I'd be able to present better references).

This is covered in Secret History of Star Wars, as well. Basically, making ESB nearly bankrupted Lucas. He put a lot of his own money into it, and it was constantly over budget and past deadline. He really started to hate making movies, so he decided he wanted to stop. Problem was, ESB ending on a massive cliffhanger. If he had ended the series there, fans would have called for his head. So, he took the story of 7-9 (Luke training Yoda's "another" to take down the Emperor, who would appear for the first time in Episode 9), got rid of most of it, and took the ending of 9 with the confrontation with the Emperor and put it into RotJ.

He then found he had a problem, though. Yoda mentioned "another", and he/she was going to be the subject of 7-9. Now that he had eliminated those movies, Yoda's comment would seem extremely strange just hanging out there. So Lucas handwaved Leia in as Luke's sister, and bam, backstory completed.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Bene Elim posted:

Actual question: What is the benefit, if any, to holding a lightsaber in a reverse-grip, as Starkiller, Ashoka and apparently now Revan do?

I'm not sure you're going to get an answer outside "it looks cooler". There's not likely to be an in-universe reason for it. But also, I'm no fencer, so you'd know better than I.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Bene Elim posted:

Edit: No, it does not look cooler.

Oh, I'm not saying it succeeds in looking cooler, but that's why they did it. Because they think it looks cooler.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

AcridWhistle posted:

Trioculus (love interest, dead) : I heard she killed him with lasers from her eyes, probably not true though.

(Okay, so that's actually a robot clone of Leia, not Leia herself, but she was involved in the creation of said clone, so it holds. And yes, that was on their wedding day.)

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Robot clone?

Well, "robot made to look exactly like Leia" seemed like a lot of words.

Oh, and I'm Athjo Fanew.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

T-1000 posted:

Wouldn't the reason you use ray guns instead of bullet guns be the fact that bullets punch holes in your body, injure your internal organs and cause blood loss, while ray guns disintegrate you? I just assumed armour and shielding on spaceships and stormtroopers rendered conventional weapons ineffective.

This makes sense, until you remember Stormtrooper armor couldn't even render rocks ineffective.

Throb Robinson posted:

Spergy question of my own.

Is there some horrible In universe answer as to why Han doesn't know what a Jedi is in a New Hope now?

I understand that originally when there were only 2 Jedi left about it sorta made sense and you got the feeling what Happened to the Jedi happened alot longer then 18 years ago. But now that the prequels came out and made Jedi all over the space TV and a major part of everything it just makes Han look like a Space redneck who revels in ignorance.

It's not that Han doesn't know about Jedi. His issue is with the Force itself. Keep in mind, just because you've seen or heard about Jedi that move things with their minds, doesn't mean they have access to an all powerful life force that is the cause of all things in the universe. Think of the X-Men. These guys have mutations that let them have awesome powers. Can the people in their universe see that their powers exist? Sure. Do all those people assume that the mutants are Gods that understand the meaning of the universe? Of course not, they just have cool powers.

You can believe that Jedi have powers beyond what normal people have, but you don't have to believe that the Jedi are right in their philosophy of where these powers come from. They could just have won the genetic lottery and be able to move things with their minds. It's like if someone honestly believes David Copperfield can fly. They're not sure how he does it, but they've seen it so it must be true. That doesn't necessarily mean they're going to start listening to him about his views on religion. (hopefully)

Han may have seen Jedi use their powers, or heard about it from other people, but what he has issue with is that the Force is something that controls everything in the universe. That makes perfect sense to me. Same goes for the Imperial officer that talks back to Vader in that Death Star meeting room. Sure, he knows that Jedi (and Sith) have powers, but he's belittling those powers because they didn't stop the Jedi from being wiped out, and he feels that Vader being able to choke a guy from across the room means nothing when he can now blow up a planet. Neither he nor Han say, "You don't have powers beyond normal beings", they both just minimize the importance of the Force.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Aug 19, 2010

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Slantedfloors posted:

No, seriously. Quinlan Vos erased his memories of seeing Jedi use the Force. He literally couldn't remember or understand the idea of the Force until he started hanging around Luke.

It sounds retarded, but...you know. Star Wars.

Wait, I thought you were kidding about that. The Wookieepdia article on Quinlan Vos just mentions a couple of encounters with a young Han, but doesn't say anything about erasing memories. Where does this come from?

If that's actually true, it's going to be filed away in my "didn't actually happen" folder in my P-canon.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Slantedfloors posted:

Gar Stazi is basically a Thrawn that it's okay to root for.

:confused:

Are you saying I shouldn't be rooting for Thrawn?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Darth Freddy posted:

The lack of no Force Unleashed 3 is going to suck, same goes for the awesome as hell Lego themed games. I will not even mention no new tie fighter game as I have been dieing for a honest to go space combat sim for years. Replaying Freespace 3 can only last you so long.

On a new note. All the post about empire at war made me dig out my best of Star Wars PC box since I never did empire at war, and I saw it came with a 14 day trial to Galexeys. Should I even bother playing at this point?

Please edit your post to fix typos and double negatives. My eyes hurt.

Most people will say it's not worth trying Galaxies. I've never tried it, but apparently it went to poo poo some time ago. That being said, if it's free for you to try, by all means give it a shot if you've got the time.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Torael_7 posted:

The short version from the three books is a lot of convoluted subtlety and intrigue between "Kuat of Kuat" (the leader) and others who want his position and may or may not want to also stay aligned with the Empire. Boba Fett gets tangled up in all of this. At the end of the trilogy, Kuat of Kuat, who would rather see the shipyards burn than let someone else control them, is trying to blow them up. However, Fett, who wants answers, confronts him on the bridge of a mostly-finished Star Destroyer, through which the explosive sequence ran. After getting his answers he then single-handedly pilots the loving thing out of the shipyard, simultaneously saving his own skin and, oh yeah, earning a lot of gratitude from Kuat's successor, since without the destroyer in the chain, the destruction of the shipyards was only partially completed.

The whole concept is a little over the top and, I guess, puts some people off, though I don't think the books are that bad on the whole. v:shobon:v

You missed a few Kuat's there. In the BB thread, I believe he had him as Kuat of Kuat, the Kuat of Kuat from Kuat, Ruler of Kuat and leader of all the Kuat of Kuat. The word Kuat is apparently like Aloha, only instead of meaning both hello and goodbye, it means everything.

Hmmm, only one of those "Kuat"s is kitting FF's spellcheck and incorrect.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Torael_7 posted:

Look man I was just trying to give a brief overview. :colbert:

Yeah, fair point. I just like bringing up Kuat8 whenever possible.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This is worse than Ewoks, Jar-Jar, and Trioculous combined. :ughh:

Just remember, that picture isn't canon. Those three things you just mentioned are.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

WampaLord posted:

It's more than that, he INVENTED the EU in essence. And it wasn't so much Lucasfilm that made that decision, it was when the license passed from Bantem to Del Rey Books, that Del Rey basically said "gently caress all the old authors, we're doing whatever we want with your poo poo!"

I'll post another story or two later, but basically, the other panel I went to was "Adult Themes in Star Wars." Extrapolate from there.

I, for one, would love to hear as many stories as you feel like posting, on either of the threads you went to. The Zahn, Stackpole, Anderson to hear there thoughts on the EU, and the other one out of morbid curiosity about what they could have possible had to talk about.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

WampaLord posted:

Zahn was supposed to be there, but his voice gave out :(

Or he decided it would be loving creepy, and made up an excuse.

Thanks for the recap! Love the picture. Stackpole seems to have lost some weight since the last time I saw him.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

TorpedoFish posted:

Speaking of Star Wars vehicles...I'm willing to accept that space fighters have 'wings' - fine, maybe you need to land on planets sometimes and anyway it's just a movie. But is there any explanation as to why the wings have to be set in "attack position" for combat...in space? In a vacuum? Where there is no air, therefore no way for wings to generate lift or do anything useful other than look cool?

(I should have never even opened this thread. I picked up a couple EU books at the library over the weekend. My transition to the Dark Side has begun.)

I may be wrong about this, but I believe when they're together (we're talking about X-Wings, right?) the engines work together for traveling through hyperspace, and when they're apart, since the guns are on the wings themselves, it gives you four streams of lasers to hit your enemy instead with of just two.

Granted, after typing that out, it doesn't make a ton of sense, but it's something like that.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

vkeios posted:

Even better, its $2.50 US dollars. I own it on cd already, but I just rebought it to avoid that 3 disc install.

You know, it is rather tempting for this reason alone.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Drighton posted:

I could have swore they edited the scene so Han does a :nyd: to dodge the shot.

That was on the DVD. It was George's way of "fixing" it. The shots happen closer together, and Han does a ridiculous CGI sideways shift before the shot.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

abscr posted:

I remember the CGI shift being in both, with the DVD version looking marginally less retarded than the SE version.

You may be right. It's been so long since I've seen the Special Edition VHS version, that I'm probably wrong.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

NGL posted:

:ughh: I would watch the films in theaters again, but not this 3-D bullshit. (But then, I don't have binocular vision.)

This is a major derail, so if it's not a short response then I can continue in PM, but why don't you have binocular vision? My wife can't see 3D in movies, but she has perfect vision in both eyes otherwise. Apparently her eye muscles just don't move like that in order to reconcile the images. Is this the same with you? Or are you blind in one eye? Genuinely curious.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Bonzo posted:

40 Star Wars Stories That Should Be Movies
http://www.totalfilm.com/features/40-star-wars-stories-that-should-be-movies

No one is going to like #38

Good God, I'm only up to #3, and they've all been bad ideas so far.

edit: Although, I would see #4.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

That list really is the worst. They basically just listed every Star Wars EU story they had heard of, and when they couldn't think of all of them, they started using fan vids. Just terrible.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Son of a bitch.

New Star Wars trilogy? On the one hand, I doubt it. On the other hand, I shouldn't put any bad decision beyond Lucas.

Keep in mind, Harrison Ford has said he has zero interest in ever reprising Han Solo, so we're not likely to have him in the movies. But that's not even the worst part.

The worst part is that, if they happen, I will see them in the theater. I don't even have to know what they're about. I know there's no chance I won't see them. And that makes me sad.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Bonzo posted:

The Empire would also use very dull colors and basic looking things to project a sense of well....blah, is the best word I can think of at the moment.

I think "uniformity" is the word that they would use. Discourage individuality in favor of creating a well oiled, hive mind machine. And I agree, that does seem to be a big part of the Empire, and probably a big reason for it's xenophobic tendencies. Thrawn was certainly different, and they hid him in the Unknown Regions. (You know, until there was no one left to run things.)

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Captain von Trapp posted:

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Abeloth R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

And now I'm angry.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

NeonTurtle posted:

Oh wow. That's easily the worst Star Wars-related thing I've ever read. I honestly don't know what to say about that. Guess that's another thing that'll never make its way into my personal Star Wars Canon.

P-Canon really is the best canon.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

~Coxy posted:

Weak sperg, but I don't see why that couldn't just be her misremembering a little white lie her adoptive parents would have told her. This type of thing (seemingly remembering things that were told to you as actually having happened, not the specific case of your mum dying of a broken heart) happens all the time in real life, after all.

Exactly. On the surface, yeah, it's probably a screw up with Lucas not realizing that he would have Padme die right after giving birth. I read that when Lucas originally "planned" Episode III many many years ago, Lucas was going to have Luke and Leia be three years old, not born at the end.

However, it's one of the easiest fixes when it comes to discrepancies with the prequels. Leia was remembering her adoptive mother, Bail's wife, when she remembers her mother, and she died when Leia was young. When Luke asked Leia if she remembered her mother, he hadn't said he was her brother yet, so she would have no reason to think he meant anyone other than Bail's wife.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

ImpAtom posted:

Doesn't Luke say "Do you remember your mother? Your real mother?"

"Well that's just crazy, let me go check this out to prove this guy wrong....

...Well poo poo."

Yeah, you're right, that's exactly what he says. So forget what I said. I have brought shame upon my username.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Nov 2, 2010

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

hollylolly posted:

As a mother myself I can't believe that ANYONE would just give up and die when they had little babies around. That rush of seeing your newborn for the first time is certainly a cure for 'a broken heart.'

To me, this is the worst of George Lucas' bad ideas. It would have been so easy for the robot to say she's dying due to complications, and that there was nothing they could do to stop it. But Lucas seemed to go out of his way to say, "No, she's fine, but she's dying anyway. Why? Because gently caress YOU THAT'S WHY!"

It's the dumbest reason for dying in the history of cinema, and gets even worse with context (she just gave birth). For the life of me, I can't figure out the reason he went there.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Faerunner posted:

I have to defend this one.

Anakin was probably like 6 when he started tinkering, thinking "OH MAN THIS IS GONNA BE AWESOME, IT CAN HELP MOM WITH STUFF!" In TPM, he was what, 8? Clearly he wasn't old enough to think it through to the logical "Wait... this won't help with poo poo" conclusion.

Kids get dumb ideas about things. Parents patronize their kids' ideas all the time.

So your defense of this is that Anakin was a dumb poo poo?

Ok, I can buy that.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

It's also important to keep in mind that it's not planets that enter into the Republic, but "Systems", which could be single planets or groups of planets. Considering all the Trade Federation members we see are the same race, it's likely that the "Trade Federation" as we see it are a system of planets that are part of the same "government" and used commerce as a way to generate funds.

So you're not just seeing a company in the Senate, it's like you're seeing a country in the UN that deals in commerce with lots of different countries.

edit: That's a lot of quotation marks.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Well this is interesting.

Yes, They Did have Star Wars Spoilers back in 1978

vinvectrex posted:

When the first Star Wars movie came out, my family was living in Sunnyvale, California. My mom quickly realized that, at 7 years old, I was a huge Darth Vader fan. Prior to seeing the movie, I incorrectly thought he was Darth Fader (allowing him to fade through walls and attack his victims). For this particular 7 year old, who had heard his friends speak of the movie, and tell of various Force powers, this fading ability made sense.

Anyway, my mother was good to keep an eye out for Star Wars news – and when this particular item showed up in our local paper, she cut it out for me. I still have it to this day. And, it was my first introduction to spoilers. In late 1978, David Prowse revealed that he was Luke’s father – two years before Empire Strikes Back hit theaters. In retrospect, I wonder how George Lucas felt about this. Since there was no internet in 1978, he probably never knew that David was running around spilling the beans. This article was quite the shock to my 7 year old system. Could this be correct? Were they related? Was David playing a joke? Was the post-Watergate media trustworthy? I had to wait two years to find out.

These days spoilers are pretty much inevitable. But, in 1978, this was big news. Eventually I decided that I believed the article, and shared the news with my friends. They mocked me for making up such a crazy idea. Luke related to Vader – simply impossible. A while later we moved, so I never got to gloat that I was right about this when Empire hit the theaters. They probably forgot all about it. But I was right. I have the article to prove it. Why didn’t I think of showing it to my friends back in 1978?

This would suggest that Lucas knew Vader was going to be Luke's father in 1978. Which I guess could line up with the second draft of Empire, I'm not sure. But apparently even David Prowse knew (and wouldn't keep his big mouth shut) which is interesting, given that reports say that David Prowse's line on the day of was actually something like, "No, Obi-Wan killed your father" to keep it under wraps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Mecha Gojira posted:

From the explanation I've heard, the Millenium Falcon was "limping" from Hoth to Bespin at relativistic speeds, so traveling at a large fraction of the speed of light. Of course, as you approach the speed of light, time around you slows down. So while it may have seemed like months for Luke and Yoda, it may have only seemed like days for Han & Co.

Then again, that's the super-nerd answer, so whatever.

While you are correct, this is never approached in Star Wars in any way, so I doubt it played a factor here.