Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Poorly acted and overwrought cutscenes are like, the best part about beating those games. They were proper rewards, much like Blizzard's cinematics, and CnC (where the gameplay was poo poo but the cinematics were always the best).

KOTOR and 2 are also piles of crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

SeanBeansShako posted:

This mans avatar, surely you at least like HK-47 at least arioch.

In that he was the only character that wasn't straight up copied out of the generic Bioware RPG game, yes.

Apart from that, the aesthetic of the game and the setting in general they mashed together severely grates and the Dark Side was basically a travesty.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Aug 15, 2010

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I too hate critically acclaimed popular games. What is your opinion on Bioshock and the Legend of Zelda series? :allears:

Legend of Zelda has been awful lately in case you haven't noticed, and while Bioshock 1 was insightful AND fun Bioshock 2 was a terrible cash-in effort.

Is this supposed to be an appeal to popularity thing? Because I'm pretty sure the prequel movies have made Lucas about 15 billion bucks so far.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Aug 16, 2010

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

No, can't say I have. TP was great and WW is a constant fan favorite (except the triforce hunting). Just ask in the Zelda thread. But I guess we are the ones who are wrong and we should stop having fun. Anyway, I'm just saying that there are a lot of reasons to think that KoTOR is a fantastic game and few to think it is objectionably horrible like you do.

Spirit Tracks, Phantom Hourglass, etc. TP was pretty good to excellent, though, because it almost never lapsed into the raw retarded gimmickry of WW, PH, ST.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Yeah but even Minish Cap managed to be a pretty good game. Also, no true Scotsman.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
What, really? The telepathic commands I've been sending LFL are finally taking hold?

First Traviss is gone, now Allston is going back to Wraith Squadron ... can we boot Troy Denning yet?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Slantedfloors posted:

I find the idea the Alderaan had no weapons kind of stupid, what with the clearly armed Security Staff on their clearly armed Blockade Runner.

Those could likely be Senate security with rebel sympathies. Leia sends down a call to Captain Antilles from her senatorial offices: "gather a couple hundred men you absolutely trust, we're going on a little trip..."

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
There's really nothing to like in LotF.

1) Characters are retarded
2) Karen Traviss is ... awful for all the reasons already listed
3) Troy Denning is CRIMINALLY inept
4) Aaron Allston is passive aggressively wrecking his entries

And at the end of it all nobody at all wanted the story they told in LotF.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Val Helmethead posted:

The best way to look at the LotF and FotJ series of books is to see the 2nd and 3rd books as long and overdone background material in preparation for the next Aaron Allston book.

The same thing can be done with that sentient force-sensitive zerg filled trilogy that is better left unremembered even when referenced in LotF and FotJ books.

Until Allston sticks Anakin the Centerpoint Station into his book, or Dab Hantaq, or whatever, just to be gratuitously bad.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

arioch posted:

Until Allston sticks Anakin the Centerpoint Station into his book, or Dab Hantaq, or whatever, just to be gratuitously bad.

Or Darth Vectivus.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Literal poopsocking.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
They should've tried to go with the 3 seashells.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

AcridWhistle posted:

How does timeoff work in Star Wars?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Galactic_Standard_Calendar

Apparently there aren't weekends, do you just work until these fete weeks or holidays?

2 holidays every week.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Link to the original liquorhead thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2393061

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Maogu Hucho. Sounds like some sort of luchador.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

ffoecaf posted:

Didn't Gavin Darklighter want to screw a Bothan too?

He does, for a year or so.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Thrawn is a very "ends justifies the means" kind of guy and that's the BEST you can say about him, morally.

He's still an interesting multi-layered character, though.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

arioch posted:

Thrawn is a very "ends justifies the means" kind of guy and that's the BEST you can say about him, morally.

He's still an interesting multi-layered character, though.

Ok here, this is the best way I've found to describe Thrawn:

Thrawn is The Empire Strikes Back, personified. He's cold, he's competent, he actually wins.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

WampaLord posted:

But imagine Vader coming up to you like "Hey, I got this race of super loyal assassins who actually love serving us. You want in, or should I just let them go free?"

Hard to pass that up, regardless of moral viewpoints.

If you don't pass that up you are literally evil. Just throwing that out there.

T-1000 posted:

Also I'm pretty sure he wiped all life off the surface of some planet. Caamas maybe. I recall him mentioning it to some underling, showing him a vase and saying he destroyed the world it came from. But hey he's a more interesting character than 99.9% of the rest, we can forgive him a few genocides and enslavement and tyranny.

It wasn't Caamas, it was a planet out in the Unknown Regions, populated by a race that opposed him yet he was unable to Understand.

Aside from that, Thrawn is one of the few Star Wars villains who kills more enemies than he gets his own side killed. Think about it.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

SeanBeansShako posted:

How do we know said Jedi didn't have those weird personal shields on that the Jedi Knight and KOTOR series has introduced?

Fanwanking makes things easier for me with this franchise these days.

Anywho another one of the many reasons that LOTF sucks Daala ends up as the leader of the Imperial , gently caress off. And gently caress off LOTF for killing off Pellaeon.

I can't understand why moronic characters made by KJA end up ontop while much better ones are killed off.

More like Daala ends up the leader of the New New Republic. And somehow a fighter jock got elevated to the Emperor spot in the same paragraph.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

AcridWhistle posted:

So he just waited 35 or more years?

And then went HAL9000 over it.

That's literally how bad Troy Denning is.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Reminder that despite how badass Lando is in the in Empire Strikes Back (orchestrating an insurrection and evacuation from right under the nose of Darth Vader, the Imperial Fleet, AND his personal Super Star Destroyer) the latter EU basically has him running one implausible scheme after another, incompetently, disastrously, then has him as a golddigging bastard who marries for money and whose legacy will be remembered as creating an army of robots who were designed to fight and win a war against the Yuuzhan Vong but instead got co-opted into weapons to hunt down Jedi with by Unreconstructed Imperial Admiral turned Galactic Chief of State "Natasi" Daala.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
It'll be hilarious if Luke's still around in Legacy time period. Or Luuuke.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Command and Conquer was pretty terrible and was known as the spam-the-tanks gimmick RTS since LONG before EAW, so I'm not sure what you were expecting.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Chaos Hippy posted:

Yoda was the Grandmaster in the prequels. The criticism of Luke being Grandmaster is not because he pulled the title out of his rear end, but because he gave it to himself.

Edit: VVV Goddammit. That can't be unsaid now. You've ruined everything.

Mind you, he also named himself a Jedi Master. Thanks to Kevin J. Anderson, so I guess Troy Denning had to go one up KJA again.

Really, Dark Nest is basically Troy Denning's love letter to KJA's complete tripe, and in it Troy Denning is here and there saying "look at what I can do" and "here's how I would have handled X".

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

deadguy posted:

Boy this combination of words will NEVER get old. That bad guy's called Abeloth this time, huh? Yeah def gonna buy this one in hardcover.

Abeloth is ~*~*~*~*~*FORCE CTHULHU*~*~*~*~*~

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Add that to the fact that for the most part neither side is willing or capable of wiping out an entire planet (Toprawa, Caamas, Alderaan, etc., are exceptions) and you can see how it could potentially be possible to fortify a planet with relatively "few" forces such that the other side wouldn't be willing to attempt to conquer it. Zahn even described it that way in The Last Command when he had Thrawn take Ukio with sleight of hand.

And really, at that point the Rebel Alliance didn't have THAT many planets that openly supported it.

DougieC posted:

That the Empire would lack the resources to smash openly rebelling planets prior to ROTJ doesn't sit well with me though. I just can't picture the GCW as a land grab a la the Empire at War or Rebellion games.

That's why games aren't canon. gently caress TFU.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

DougieC posted:

Yes, but my point is that in EU literature (and games like X-Wing) you have races that are in open rebellion: the Mon Calamari, the Sullustans, maybe the Bothans, but I find that impossible to stomach when the Empire has an overwhelming military/logistical advantage surely capable of making GBS threads up any planet of its choosing. Surely the only way to evade such a force is to keep on the move and be all guerilla warfare.

You blow up a few planets and fear of it's an effective tool, you blow up a few more planets and then the general population goes into open revolt anyway. At least, that's how you'd justify it in Star Wars. The Rebels generally set up their actual bases in out of the way backwater planets (gently caress the EU for making Hoth the second Tatooine) so the Empire has no idea where they're at to justify glassing an entire planet to get them.

Which they only have to do because of the existence of planetary shielding.

It makes sense.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Aug 25, 2010

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Pops Mgee posted:

Back to the whole force aneurysm discussion, would you really want the jedi to be even more powerful?

"Oh hey a bunch of battledroids what are we going to do?"
"Don't worry I can just make them all overload with my mind and there won't be any tension or danger at all."

The Jedi are already way too overpowered and them being able to instakill the already useless enemies would just make the movies even more boring than they already are.

Maybe Lucas should've come up with better enemies and actual tension instead

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
He's still not really a character.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Somebody should ask Aaron Allston what went wrong, i.e. Centerpoint-Anakin Solo, Darth Vectivus, whatshisface the Anakin Solo look-alike, etc.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Crowetron posted:

I prefer to think some Lucasbooks (or Del Ray, or whoever is in charge now) exec was all "Okay, Aaron, now you have to write about Jedis and poo poo. No more Wedge."

And Allston was like "Fine, but I'm gonna write about stupid loving Jedi stuff and see how you like it."

But the EU's so rear end backwards now that the exec was like "This stuff is gold! Now I want you to work with Karen and Troy!" and it all just kinda snowballed. Except with poo poo.

It shitballed.

If I had to work with anybody named "Troy" I'd probably shoot myself.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
It's worse than that ... in Shadows of the Empire his deal was that he could use the Dark Side to help revitalize his organs and tissue so that he could breathe without the mask, then he gets happy about it and then loses his hold on the Dark Side.

edit: ^^^ ARGGHHHH

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Sep 2, 2010

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Mister Roboto posted:

You know, The EU is basically glorified fanfiction.

That being said, if, by some amazing coincidence, you were offered a chance to write an EU story, would you do it? You KNOW everyone has said "Well I could do better..." at some point.

Troy Denning is the one I could say is very much overtly doing just that, actually, treating it all as his own personal playground and saying "well I could do better..." but he can't.

Most of the rest have either too few entries to establish a pattern or actually have some reverence for working in the franchise.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'd totally read the gently caress out of that book.

Maybe Allegiance #3. Somebody go pitch this to Zahn.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

TheLoquid posted:

Palpatine should have been Caesar - beloved by the people of the Republic even as the Senators fear his growing influence.

That Palpatine really only shows up in some of the prequel era novels. Particularly the RotS novelization.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Twilight with sparkly armor is the best way to describe Traviss's books.

Didn't I say that special forces characters in rightwing wingnut nutjob fiction are basically the equivalent of vampires for the Twilight crowd?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
There are lots of Very Bad Things about the reverse grip for anything but short single-edged blades used in extreme close quarters combat. The lightsaber is LONG and ALL EDGE.

edit: Basically what I'm trying to say is that looking "cool" is no excuse when used over anything that is actually rear end-blindingly obviously stupid/bad/retarded/etc. And really, this is one of the core complaints against the entire PT.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Sep 9, 2010

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Buy a suit from somebody who makes them in the 501st.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

EG posted:

I know people don't talk poo poo on Michael Stackpole's XWing books in this thread, BUT I just read them all and the one thing that really bothered me was how in every book at least 1 character dies, but then NOPE they're actually alive the whole time, everyone just thought they were dead. It gets to the point where you know anyone who dies is coming back. In Isard's Revenge basically every single character thinks the other characters are dead, AND the bad guy they killed in a previous book is back with her clone...

Think of them as novelizations of comic books (except without the actual comic books).