Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
So I'm climbing back into the EU since the reboot and I'm gonna give it a shot. I bought the first official book "A New Dawn" on amazon and I noticed a few more are out, or for preorder.

My question is how long does it take for a hardcover new release to make it to paperback? I couldn't find a paperback release date for "Heir to the Jedi"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

Carteret posted:

Paperbacks generally come out 8 to 12 months later unless its a terrible romance novel or some indy publisher.

You might get lucky and they push it up to 6 months, but that is rare.

Edit: it was 6 months to the day for a new dawn to hit paperback.

Oh wow I never realized it took that long, I always figured they took about 3 months to catch the diehards with, then dropped to paperback for the rest of the population. Thanks for the heads up, maybe I'll cave and get the hardcovers.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Canon is very much a nerd thing, it's incredibly prevalent as has been pointed out, and as this rediculous circular argument has proven: there is no argument for it that can easily be espressed.

I love canon, yes it gets in the way, but it's just fun. It's fun to tell my friends that have only seen the movies,"han and leia get together, have 3 kids, 2 are twins, one goes full dark side evil and the other has to kill him, and Chewbacca gets crushed by a moon."

I'd also be okay if they went full on comic style and had multiple universes if someone had some great sweeping idea that wouldn't work with whatever is coming.

Besides the Xwing series will always exist to me.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

thrawn527 posted:

When I read Vector Prime, I had no idea who Nom Anor was. But it was clear I was meant to. Turns out he turned up in the Crimson Empire comic series? Ugh.

I was in high-school when that came out and I never got that impression. He was supposed to be a new character and undercover alien spy. Vector Prime was a good book, most of the rest that followed didn't live up to that level. That whole series was just wayyy too long. I never finished it, and couldn't stomach the fact that there was another gigantic one after it.

I'm super happy about the reset now. I wasn't when I heard about it, but the EU got so big it needed it.

Just started reading A new Dawn, seems cool from the first couple chapters.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Another more plausible reason is they're landing walkers on the planet and going into high orbit makes that easier somehow. It's really not close to the ground, they're loving huge. They're at least as high as Felix baumgardner jumped.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Take the entire dark forces series and update them to modern graphics, gameplay, and puzzles and we'd have at least 3 great Star Wars games for the next couple years.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
There's a thread for it in BSS, but the first 5 "star wars" and "darth vader" are semi connected and end on the same note, it's very cool. Just read the main line, then vader. Leia's comic is her own thing, and obviously kanan's story is before all the rest.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
No that's sort of that story-lines cliffhanger.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Just a heads up ya'll Tarkin is available in paperback, just got mine in the mail from Amazon.

How much longer after Tarkin did the next novel come out (so I can set a reminder to look for it in paperback) and which one was it? :)

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Thank you both, unlike Tarkin, Amazon has the preorder for Heir paperback.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
After I finished "Tarkin" I visited a friend and told him about it and he lent me "Darth Plagueis". There was a couple of moments in "Tarkin" that really felt like it was referencing something so It'll be interesting to see if that stuff is in "Plagueis". Luceno wrote both (2012 and 2014).

The way Luceno uses races and technology as if you should already know this stuff and goes into Palpatine's past in "Tarkin" really comes off like he had at least a significant portion done before the Group was put together. Hell, I think he could have had the whole thing written and they just told him to hold onto it till afterwards so it could be part of the initial rush of books. The events in it could easily work in either timeline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Oh you're right! I forgot about the Maw. Nevermind then! Totally destroys all that stuff, unless when they fire up the engines at the end they're moving the death star to the Maw, but that's dumb.