Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Cross-Section posted:

There's a new "commercial" out for Star Tours II; now, I'm not too worried about the prequelization of the ride, considering the three planets highlighted are Bespin, Endor, and Alderaan.

(pulled from page 1)

While I enjoyed the "safest planet in the galaxy" quip about Alderaan, you have to remember what Star Tours is like. The original ride was supposed to take you to Endor. You never made it there, and instead had an exciting trip through comet fields and the Death Star trench.

I'd still be worried about the prequel-fication of Star Tours 2, though. After all, Alderaan's still obviously around and we've all seen the image of the Star Speeder flying with pod racers.

Basically, what I'm getting at is... I think Mr. Lucas is going to irreparably harm another childhood favorite of mine.

Edit:

Click here for the full 1600x756 image.

Includes video.

Mecha Gojira fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Aug 15, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The macros were part of what made pre-cu so incredible.

Oh, they're probably still around. Though the best thing to do was always to have you and a bunch of your buddies huddle around someone's who was on their knees meditating and starting the hump macro. If you played into the NGE, it was also effective way to taunt people at "the line" for the Restuss PvP zone.

I don't think my gameplay experience would have been nearly as enjoyable if it weren't for some of those macros. Also /sing bad; was another great one, leaving your jaw hanging and your eyes wide open.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

According to the old Essential Guide to Vehicles they're the deflector shield generators. The communication tower is the bar between them in the center of the command tower.

This is one of the spergier arguments that I've personally gotten into, but it basically just comes down to the fact that people misinterpreted the original scene. The globes on the top of the Star Destroyer's bridge were originally meant to be radomes like those on the top of the bridges of modern-day warships. Even the model makers and production designers referred to them as such. The problem arises during the scene where immediately following the destruction of one of the radomes, an Imperial bridge officer exclaims "The bridge deflector shields are down!" The original intent was that the radomes were vulnerable because the deflector shields were down, not because they themselves WERE the deflector shields. After all, the shields were weakened by the entire Rebel fleet opening up on the Super Star Destroyer, and so once the small fighters started taking out the more fragile pieces of their ship, the Imperials would realize the shields were down. Plus it's retarded that the shield generators wouldn't be protected by the shield they're generating.

Like I said, though, the scene was misinterpreted as to meaning that destroying the globes takes down the shields. So it appeared in video games as a way for tiny fighters to take out the massive destroyer, and it appeared in reference books and technical manuals and novels and etc. etc. until now it's pretty much canon that the radomes are actually shield generators.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

edit: Again, because they weren't originally supposed to be shield generators, but instead radar/sensor globes, which would make sense to place all over your ship.

Mecha Gojira fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Oct 19, 2010

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Otterspace posted:

The notion that the globes are communication towers and not shield generators flies in the face of 30 years of star wars knowledge. Can you find evidence that says they were meant to be communications towers?

Here's the other side of the argument. It's important to note that they're not supposed to be communication towers, but radar domes.

quote:

We're also still working on the sequence where Mad Max crashes his A-wing into Vader's ship and causes the star destroyer to lose control and crash into the Deathstar. The penetration shot with the mushroom-cloud explosion we've had for some time, and we've got the shot where the ship's been hit and is starting to heel over. A very large explosion is coming out of the bridge area and it's causing several others to go as well; and one of the big radar domes up on top has been blown away, and that's spewing flames. It's pretty spectacular. Between that sort of closeup of the bridge section and the long-shot of the surface, we need two more cuts of the ship continuing to heel over and dropping towards the Deathstar like an arrow. We've shot a number of elements on those - explosions and things that have to be projected onto the miniatures - and so they're pretty much ready to go. Don Dow will be shooting those tomorrow.

CINEFEX #13, p.55, 3 February 1983
— Richard Edlund (who shared ILM's 1983 Academy Award for ROTJ special effects).

The original intent was that they were supposed to be radomes. It's just that now, yeah, canonically speaking they're both. Which is retarded. Why would your shield generators not be protected by your shields? Why would you place them in such a way that would make them highly vulnerable. Sensor globes just make more sense.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

NeonTurtle posted:

I want a light-fan too. All I can find in the stores are the stupid lightsabers.

I think what you're looking for is one of these: STAR WARS CLONE WARS GENERAL GRIEVOUS SPINNING LIGHTSABER

Toys. You makes the Star Wars galaxy go round...

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

RagnarokAngel posted:

This is probably one of the most contested issues with the original movies because no it isn't clear. I think 2 months is roughly agreed upon. Assume Han keeps enough rations to survive long trips without hyperspace because with how often the falcon breaks down it's probably a valid concern.

From the explanation I've heard, the Millenium Falcon was "limping" from Hoth to Bespin at relativistic speeds, so traveling at a large fraction of the speed of light. Of course, as you approach the speed of light, time around you slows down. So while it may have seemed like months for Luke and Yoda, it may have only seemed like days for Han & Co.

Then again, that's the super-nerd answer, so whatever.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Nckdictator posted:

Yeah, though i'm not sure how the Empire would have the resoruces to build both the Death Star , and the Executor , along with whatever over ships all at once.

The Empire has control of an entire galaxy and has access to technology that can convert raw materials into finished products (see: World Devastators, Coruscant building recyclers). They literally have an entire galaxy's worth of raw materials. The question isn't how does the Empire have the resources to build that poo poo, it's why haven't they built MORE?

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Captain von Trapp posted:

Star Wars makes very little sense with respect to scale unless there's only a few hundred to a few thousand human-inhabited worlds, with perhaps a few times that many planets inhabited by other sapient species. Actually setting that as the official scale would require retconning away... well, just about everything, but that's about the only choice if you want resources and military sizes to make any kind of sense.

It's more like Star Wars is inconsistent with its scale due to lack of imagination on the parts of the writers (3 million clones, bankrupting Super Star Destroyers), and the relatively small and sometimes inconsistent nature of the films themselves. No one really understands the scale implications with doing a series about a galaxy-spanning, extremely advanced civilization. For example, if Coruscant had a population density similar to that of New York City and was roughly the size of the Earth, there could easily be 3 TRILLION people living on that one planet alone. Manpower isn't even an issue when you've literally got trillions of sentients living under your jurisdiction. Resources aren't an issue when you control up to 400 billion stars, their systems, their planets, their asteroids, etc.

But again, no one, not even the film makers, really understood those kinds of implications, so they just kept everything on the conservative end. Instead of thousands of ships, we'd get dozens. Instead of trillions of clones, we're down to millions. It's fun to think about what it'd be like if they went balls-out, but even the films don't portray the galaxy like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Mister Roboto posted:

I'm pretty sure we can get 10 different interviews that say ROTJ was intended to be a big toy commercial.

Hell, you can probably go back to interviews about Lucas seeing even Empire as a toy commercial. Probably why he dislikes it so much: it was a toy commercial that nearly cost him everything. Past schedule, overbudget, $30 million+ toy commercial that Lucas had to take out loans and risk his entire fortune and future on.

I kind of worry that Star Wars is a self-perpetuating entity now. Like, George Lucas makes Star Wars movies to sell action figures and comics and books and whatever to make money. And then he uses that money to make more Star Wars. It's almost frightening.