Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Kabong
Apr 14, 2004
-$10

gvonpaul posted:

How about people who have extra money and just like having the best quality instruments they can find? I find that people who have cheap gear try to justify it by saying more expensive gear isn't worth it. See? That sword cuts both ways.

Then $1000 is nothing to drop on a guitar, if best quality is what you're after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I'm in love with Middle Eastern scales right now.

E-F-G#-A-B-C-D# (Hijaz Kar, famously used in the song Misirlou)

edit: I love my cheap Yamaha guitar. Gets the job done, sounds decent. And yeah I totally make up for its cheap cost with a drat cool capo which I never use..

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Meh, my go to guitar for ~14 years has been a Mexican Standard Stratocaster w/vintage noiseless pickups. A value of less than $400 when I bought the guitar and pickups. I have an American reissue Jazzmaster too. It cost me $1300. Is there a noticeable $900 difference between the two? Nope. I love the way both of them sound and play.

The bottom line is play what you like. Handle a ton of different guitars before you buy and see which ones feel and sound the best. Even if you can't play yet, you can appreciate if a neck is too fat for your hands, the frets are too far apart for your reach, or if the loving thing slides off your lap while you're playing (ovation, I'm looking directly at you).

I'll be in the market for a new acoustic here shortly and I plan to visit every guitar shop I can find to see what I like best.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge
Knowing you from TFR Gewehr 43, I would have assumed that you'd have 30 sightly different 1959 Les Pauls.

Then again, if we followed that logic I'd share 45 Hello Kitty 3/4 length strats with a club of grumpy old blues enthusiasts.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003
Ha. The closest I came was having 2 strats at once years ago. That double fat strat with a hard tail I mentioned a few pages ago, and my mexi-strat. I've never been much of a guitar collector because all my disposable income goes to guns. :)

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Rotten Cookies posted:

I find that people underestimate what "comfortable" means in an effort to move on earlier. This doesn't mean when you can play it a like 2 times without messing up. It means, if somebody were to ask you "Hey, can you play ex. no. 19?" you could say "Sure, no problem!" and play it 3 times right in a row. Know it. And DEFINITELY go back to older exercises. Just because you've moved on to other things doesn't mean you can't benefit from more basic exercises. It's humbling to trip up on "easier" stuff.

I don't know if this is great advice. To quote from the introduction of that book:

quote:

Do not skip or "slight" anything, and also do not attempt to "completely perfect" any one lesson before going on. Playing technique is an accumulative process and you will find that each time you review material already studied it will seem easier to play.

Basically, you should review constantly, but don't hesitate to move on after you've got a handle on the exercise. If you spend too much time on one exercise you might regress in some other area. That said, you shouldn't be too eager to move on. Never skip material that is difficult.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

HappyHippo posted:

I don't know if this is great advice. To quote from the introduction of that book:

Basically, you should review constantly, but don't hesitate to move on after you've got a handle on the exercise. If you spend too much time on one exercise you might regress in some other area. That said, you shouldn't be too eager to move on. Never skip material that is difficult.

Huh. Funny that. I've been hearing the wrong thing all these years. Welp. poo poo. Ignore my advice, then.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
I keep getting noticable resonance from my guitar, mostly from the 5th and 6th strings. The 5th string also buzzes if plucked too hard. Any advice?

This is a Nylon String guitar.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
If I'm looking to buy the first stringed instrument I have ever layed hands upon, and budget is the most important factor (I'm married), what could I reasonably expect to get away with spending on an acoustic guitar without getting eye-rolled out of this thread?

Would I be wasting my money, on, say, this $100 thing? http://www.rondomusic.com/CG195.HTML

Edit: I know it says not to get a cheap starter guitar, but I don't really know what's considered cheap.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
I consider myself a fairly decent guitarist, but I have a relatively beginner question. How does one pluck with a pick such that it doesn't sound so aggressive and staccato? I have a problem where individual notes played on an acoustic guitar hit with a lot of attack, and I'd rather it be more fluid.

SSJ2 Goku Wilders
Mar 24, 2010

Paramemetic posted:

I consider myself a fairly decent guitarist, but I have a relatively beginner question. How does one pluck with a pick such that it doesn't sound so aggressive and staccato? I have a problem where individual notes played on an acoustic guitar hit with a lot of attack, and I'd rather it be more fluid.

I'm not really amazing at guitar, but the easiest way was just to strike with the very tip of a pick? Petrucci for instance makes a huge deal out of how close you should keep your fingers to the tip of a pick.

Crooked Vulture
Mar 26, 2010

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

If I'm looking to buy the first stringed instrument I have ever layed hands upon, and budget is the most important factor (I'm married), what could I reasonably expect to get away with spending on an acoustic guitar without getting eye-rolled out of this thread?

Would I be wasting my money, on, say, this $100 thing? http://www.rondomusic.com/CG195.HTML

Edit: I know it says not to get a cheap starter guitar, but I don't really know what's considered cheap.

What type of music do you plan to play? And what does your total budget look like?

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Crooked Vulture posted:

What type of music do you plan to play? And what does your total budget look like?

I just want to learn to play as a way to pass time in a more constructive way than playing video games. Probably learn some classic rock. My "budget" is "buy an inexpensive guitar and teach myself how to play". My wife is a very conservative spender, which makes me one by proxy.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
If to want to learn some classic rock then an absolute beginners classical guitar is probably not what you want.

Realistically an electric and a small but decent practice amp is what you need. There are several good cheap, but decent quality guitars around. An Agile AL2000 from RondoMusic would fit the bill. An Epihone SG310 would also do nicely. For an amp I'd recommend a Roland Microcube which I personally own. Others have said great things about the smaller Vox amps.

You're looking at around $300 yo get kitted out with this gear, but bear in mind that it's good equipment that can be upgraded (the guitar) and you will still use in 10 years for practice while the kids are asleep (the amp) after you've bought that Les Paul and Marshall tube amp.

edit: SG, not SD

Crooked Vulture
Mar 26, 2010
I'd definately stay away from nylon strings unless you want to play classical or another style that specifically calls for them. You are definately better off going with an electric and an amp for classic rock. Starting with an acoustic is fine as well, but eventually you'll have to switch to play the stuff you want. Whatever you choose, just make sure it has steel strings on it(not nylon).

My first guitar was a $150 Epiphone SG. It wasn't ever going to play in stadiums or have an insane resale value, but it got the job done. Guitars are tools, and as long as it does what it needs to, price and value are irrelevant. Get something you can afford that you will want to pick up and play daily.

If you have the time, I'd go to as many places around town that sell guitars in your price range and try everything within your budget. If you have any small local music stores nearby, I'd hit those first. I've had a lot of good dealings with different local stores in the cities I've lived in, a far cry from the typical Guitar Center/Sam Ash experiences.

Also, you could wait until the real guitar comes out for Rock Band 3 and combine your love of all things vidya and guitar.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
No nylon strings for classic rock. You'll notice that guitar lacks a pickguard - it's not meant to be strummed or picked but to be plucked with fingers in classical style.

I know you're in the ~$100 market, in which case I might go against the tide and recommend a basic Squier Strat Pack ($200), which come in lovely boxes aimed at children but actually have a decent guitar (Squier strats are quality beginner instruments) and a lame but suitable practice amp. The downside to this is that I wouldn't bother upgrading a Squier guitar, and you may outgrow it in a year or so. Less if you're quick on the uptake. But it can be offloaded on Craigslist for $150 or so for the guitar and amp, so you won't be out too much.

For more money but what I consider one of the best buys on the market right now, I'd recommend a Epiphone Les Paul ($350). These guitars are relatively cheap but they're a rock solid platform for upgrading - replace the pickups and you have a very strong guitar. Plus humbuckers will really drive a tube amp.

As for getting an amp, you might check Craigslist, people are getting rid of cheap amps all the time there. I've heard good things about the Vox amps in this thread and others around here. For beginning, you want a decent amp but it doesn't have to be the best. I learned on probably the shittiest amp I've ever heard, but it just meant that when I got on a real amp I sounded, to me, absolutely more amazing than I ever had. Hehe

Alternatively, if you want mobility, look into Alvarez acoustic guitars. Their entry level dreadnoughts are affordable at under $200, and very high quality beginner instruments.

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Sep 10, 2010

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Just want to say that I am so psyched for the Rock Band 3 Pro Guitar mode.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Paramemetic posted:

Personally I use a lighter pick with acoustic because of the higher resistance, it feels like I'm fighting the strings if I use one of my electric picks. Try a more flexible one and see how that goes. The angle of attack can change the sound too, and what Mr Wilders said about picking with the tip too. Basically experiment!

H
Jul 16, 2005
AIDS FUCKERS GO HOME!!!
I've been trying to master barre chords for years, and it's still hellishly hard and painful. What would be some of the negative consequences of lowering the action on my acoustic? Also, is it possible to raise/lower the action of a guitar that doesn't have a truss rod (mine doesn't)?

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
The truss rod is not actually there to higher and lower the action although it can make a difference to the action. The truss rod is to prevent the neck from bending too much under the several hundred pound pull of the strings. To lower your action your bridge should be lowered. You can do this by carefully filing the bottom of the saddle or by taking it to a luthier who will do the same but with a lot smaller chance of destroying your instrument. It's also possible your nut might be too high. If you're having trouble with barres on near F and not B on the E string then this might be a contributing factor.

Seriously though, take it to a luthier. Acoustics are not as easy to set up as electrics. You should also consider using lighter strings to make things easier.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I want to learn flamenco/spanish guitar. I have the proper equipment. The problem is that I have no instructor.

I have searched high and low for the past few years, but I have never found anyone who teaches flamenco guitar in the area.

I've just been looking on youtube at rumba/flamenco/spanish lessons, but they can only help me go so far.

What should I do? Move to Mexico?

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

the posted:

I want to learn flamenco/spanish guitar. I have the proper equipment. The problem is that I have no instructor.

I have searched high and low for the past few years, but I have never found anyone who teaches flamenco guitar in the area.

I've just been looking on youtube at rumba/flamenco/spanish lessons, but they can only help me go so far.

Where do you live?

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Watch For Fleeing Immigrants

the posted:

If there is a university nearby the guitar department will probably have flyers all over for classical/flamenco lessons

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009
Hey, can somebody please give me (including key) important scales I should know that are not used as frequently as say pentatonic or major/minor scales? You don't need to provide tabs/notes, as I have a book.

I decided I'm not going to get a teacher yet, because even though I can easily afford it there's so much I can teach myself still, and I don't really want to spend the money when I should be saving it. People were talking about Modern Method for Guitar earlier and I was thinking about buying it awhile back. I can read music already, but it takes me a long time to figure out notes on guitar because I'm lazy about memorizing note locations (I play by ear most of the time like a jerk). I'm pretty sure most of the way I play guitar is wrong too, such as hand position and how I finger notes, will the book help with that too or am I going to need to get a complimentary resource?

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

TheGopher posted:

Hey, can somebody please give me (including key) important scales I should know that are not used as frequently as say pentatonic or major/minor scales? You don't need to provide tabs/notes, as I have a book.

I decided I'm not going to get a teacher yet, because even though I can easily afford it there's so much I can teach myself still, and I don't really want to spend the money when I should be saving it. People were talking about Modern Method for Guitar earlier and I was thinking about buying it awhile back. I can read music already, but it takes me a long time to figure out notes on guitar because I'm lazy about memorizing note locations (I play by ear most of the time like a jerk). I'm pretty sure most of the way I play guitar is wrong too, such as hand position and how I finger notes, will the book help with that too or am I going to need to get a complimentary resource?

beyond those diatonic scales, they are all derived from the chords in a song. You could learn your melodic and harmonic minors, but those aren't of much use outside of certain musical contexts that, really, you don't see a whole lot in guitar rock music.

You'll probably get a lot of people who say to learn the modes of the major scale, but at your progress level that's a waste of time. What you should develop are practical skills. Spend a lot of time practicing all the major scales in every position (practice one scale through every position, then the next scale), and the diatonic chords for every scale. Work on your technique, too. Diatonic scales and chords are foundational and provide the most useful base of ability when you do start getting into real chord progressions, modes, and non-diatonic progressions.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

Dolphin posted:

Where do you live?

Raleigh, NC

CalvinDooglas posted:

If there is a university nearby the guitar department will probably have flyers all over for classical/flamenco lessons

I will check that out, as I attend a university. Thank you!

chordate
Feb 27, 2008

by Ozma
Is there a relative consensus on how to advance through the ranks of guitar playin?

[e] as in, what to focus on. I could just pick something at random but was wondering if there's a progression. More practice than theory

chordate fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 11, 2010

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009

chordate posted:

Is there a relative consensus on how to advance through the ranks of guitar playin?

[e] as in, what to focus on. I could just pick something at random but was wondering if there's a progression. More practice than theory

Learn your basic chords. There are some very basic shapes you will see over and over again like G major, C major, D major, and D minor. A minor, A major, and E major are technically barred chords, but the open strings take the place of the index finger holding down an entire fret. E minor is kind of a power chord, really just a fifth chord, but nobody calls them that on guitar.

It's the easiest way to get satisfying results on guitar because you'll be able to play a ton of popular songs just knowing basic chords. Always, always, always practiced your barred chords. They are a major pain in the rear end, and it will hurt to play them, but you aren't going to get magically good at playing them. Sound out each string one at a time when you're learning chords and don't let yourself move to the next chord until you can make it sound pefect.

No trust me, I used to practice like poo poo. Take your time and it wont be painful later trying to retrain yourself out of dumb habits.

edit:

CalvinDooglas posted:

beyond those diatonic scales, they are all derived from the chords in a song. You could learn your melodic and harmonic minors, but those aren't of much use outside of certain musical contexts that, really, you don't see a whole lot in guitar rock music.

You'll probably get a lot of people who say to learn the modes of the major scale, but at your progress level that's a waste of time. What you should develop are practical skills. Spend a lot of time practicing all the major scales in every position (practice one scale through every position, then the next scale), and the diatonic chords for every scale. Work on your technique, too. Diatonic scales and chords are foundational and provide the most useful base of ability when you do start getting into real chord progressions, modes, and non-diatonic progressions.

I'm at a point where I need to just get a ton of repetition in. I'm too busy always dicking around instead of just doing some good practice for 30 minutes before I dick around. Time to go hammer out some scales with my arch-nemesis, the metronome. Your incessant ticking makes me want to strangle babies.

TheGopher fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Sep 11, 2010

Arashikage
Sep 11, 2001

by Fistgrrl

TheGopher posted:

E minor is kind of a power chord, really just a fifth chord, but nobody calls them that on guitar.

What? Em as in 022000 has the minor third represented .

chordate
Feb 27, 2008

by Ozma
EBEGBE

As for my question I was really vague, I've been playing for a year and a half. No problem with barre chords, have basic scales and theory down. I'm just learning songs + the fretboard at this point, with little direction.

\/ oh yeah there's been some confusion with the top three strings, if they are muted it is a fifth but otherwise not, everyone is right hooray

chordate fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Sep 11, 2010

Arashikage
Sep 11, 2001

by Fistgrrl

chordate posted:

EBEGBE

what does this mean?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Arashikage posted:

What? Em as in 022000 has the minor third represented .

I think he means the part you fret is like a power chord, if you ignore the top three strings - kind of a confusing thing to say!

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009

baka kaba posted:

I think he means the part you fret is like a power chord, if you ignore the top three strings - kind of a confusing thing to say!

Didn't really mean it to be confusing, since I tried to put in the context of chord shapes.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Thanks for the info guys, I really appreciate it, being completely ignorant about guitars as I am.

Porn Thread
Nov 12, 2008

TheGopher posted:

I'm at a point where I need to just get a ton of repetition in. I'm too busy always dicking around instead of just doing some good practice for 30 minutes before I dick around. Time to go hammer out some scales with my arch-nemesis, the metronome. Your incessant ticking makes me want to strangle babies.

Learn to make the metronome your friend.

Sometimes I will leave it on one tempo for the entire practice session. Most of the time, I don't put it above 60 BPM. Anything faster than that, I just subdivide.

I've known some people who leave it on while they do chores and various household tasks. Haven't tried it, but hey, by any means necessary...

At this point, I'm convinced that time-feel and really strong ears are the only two skills you need to be a really great musician. Everything else flows from those two.

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009

Porn Thread posted:

Learn to make the metronome your friend.

Sometimes I will leave it on one tempo for the entire practice session. Most of the time, I don't put it above 60 BPM. Anything faster than that, I just subdivide.

I've known some people who leave it on while they do chores and various household tasks. Haven't tried it, but hey, by any means necessary...

At this point, I'm convinced that time-feel and really strong ears are the only two skills you need to be a really great musician. Everything else flows from those two.

Yeah I'm getting the point where keeping time is completely natural, and being able to play by ear affords me a lot of flexibility, but in terms of communicating with other musicians, you gotta learn the language, you know?

CalvinDooglas
Dec 5, 2002

Porn Thread posted:

If your rhythm, melody, and harmony are good it's just a matter of getting your technique up to what you hear. The more I learn to hear in music the more I see what I'm lacking technically.

TheGopher
Sep 7, 2009
So I was having a brilliant time today playing. Probably have sunk in about 4 hours today alone and since I just got an electric I've been messing around with teh sound. Been messing around with harmonics and creating a lot of noise without it sounding bad. After playing relatively aggressively all of a sudden the guitar cuts out. Amp is definitely working because I can hear the feedback plugging the cable in. I toggle the pickups and figure out the neck pickup (Rythym according to the toggle) just crapped out. I switch to the treble pickup and keep going for another 10 minutes before I decided to just record whatever came out when I was playing:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9777320/FUCKINGPICKUP.wav (it's only 500kb before anybody freaks, and ya the beginning is pretty terrible but whatever fu guys.)

Yeah, the other one failed and you hear it just...go.

So here's the thing, I bought this guitar used from a guy, and it looked like it was in really good condition, has been playing brilliantly but there is one caveat. The top guitar strap button wasn't actually screwed it. The hole it was drilled into is completely stripped and it's something I'm going to need to sink a lot of time into fixing/pay somebody else to fix. The fact the neck pickup went out first makes me think the guy dropped the guitar at some point and obviously didn't tell me.

What should I be doing to diagnose the issue, if anything? I kind of want to gently caress around with this guitar if possible, seeing how this will probably be the cheapest electric I'll own, so I might as well take the opportunity to learn from it without making a ridiculously expensive error.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

TheGopher posted:

:words:

The strap issue can literally be fixed with a toothpick. Just slide a toothpick in to the strap hole and screw in the strap pin in as normal. Pickups are easy to replace, and they probably don't need replacement anyway. (Can pickups really break? They don't have moving parts or anything... :confused: )

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

TheGopher posted:

After playing relatively aggressively all of a sudden the guitar cuts out. Amp is definitely working because I can hear the feedback plugging the cable in. I toggle the pickups and figure out the neck pickup (Rythym according to the toggle) just crapped out.

What should I be doing to diagnose the issue, if anything?

It's probably just a bad connection. Check to see if any of the wires from the pickup and the toggle switch are broken or have become unsoldered, then it's just a simple case of resoldering the connection.

If your guitar is an Epiphone: They are notorious for toggle switches that crap out after a couple of years, regardless of how it's been handled. If none of the connections are broken but the guitar still doesn't switch pickups then replace the toggle switch.