Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Going through some of the female armor pieces, here's what seems the most reasonable.

This is nice and practical. The lines actually look like 14th century plate and the only open area is the thighs and knees, which would help out with mobility and be within the easy defense of her poleax.

This could easily be worn by a man. The chain covers the torso and extends to the legs (with a part in the middle for mobility). The leather(?) girdle makes sense to provide additional protection to the midsection, and the shoulder pieces are either ornamental (to make her look bigger) or might have some practical use.

This is just standard full plate, but it's fairly historically accurate.

Standard fluted armor. I like the use of a shield arm pauldron, which would be an extra piece of metal in front of your neck. I think this is actually a man though, since it's almost identical to the Demon's Souls male fluted armor.

The sword's too large for use with a shield and IIRC Kite Shields and plate armor together is anachronistic, but it's otherwise decent.

This is an example of something that just gets it a bit wrong. The boob armor is bad, they went out of their way to accentuate the female figure with the unarmored waist (bad) and the ridiculously over armored hips, and I think she's wearing high heels...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

chelsea clinton posted:

That's art for a Magic card. It's funny that you point the gear out as being anachronistic but neglect to mention the magical glowing church ruin in the background.

I have my playset of Knights of the Reliquary, I know what it is. Still, the reason you use a Kite Shield is because you have poor limb armor. As soon as people got plate (and good limb armor) it went away because it's inconvenient to have all of that extra metal on the shield.

quote:

That strikes me as a perfectly realistic weapon. You grip the far end of the handle to swing it like an axe and grip further up and maybe with both hands to stab.

It'd need a more drastic angle. There were heavy daggers that were probably as wide as that, but they tapered down very quickly so you'd have a strong thrusting point. The straight blade like that works against this theory.

quote:

It's always weird for me to see characters in art carrying swords and stuff, but no gloves. Perhaps it's just because of my supple nerd hands, but ringing metal is uncomfortable to hold onto.

Swords are made of out different metals than baseball bats, and IIRC the metal at different points tended to have different properties, which dampens the vibrations. You'd still want gloves though, since you'd want to be able to grab both the blade of your sword and theirs.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

MMAgCh posted:

You forgot to mention that this attack is called the Mordhau, which roughly translates to murder-strike and thus immediately becomes as gently caress.

I always heard of it as the Mordschlag, which is Murder Stroke.

quote:

Which one is the Mordhau?

The guy being metal is doing the mordschlag.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

ProfessorCirno posted:

It's a rough prototype for what will one day be the almighty 444 Bear Killer

A yes, the 444 Bear Killer. For those situations where a minigun just isn't enough firepower.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

TOOT BOOT posted:

Just noticed something about this, besides DAT rear end. The action presented seems completely implausible because she just cut that things head off with a right to left sweep using her right hand, pulling the blade back towards her body which incidentally seems like a really good way to hurt yourself.

It's actually not that terrible. The footwork is good for a right to left swing, and the sword would be threatening her shield and not the rest of her.