Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
The House of the Devil (Horror, 2009)
Wikipedia, Rotten Tomatoes, Metacritic, IMDB
Starring: Jocelin Donahue, Tom Noonan, Mary Woronov, AJ Bowen, Greta Gerwig
Written and directed by: Ti West
Trailer (I wouldn’t view it, go in blind)

My personal belief is that this film is best seen going in blind so I won’t go on and on about the plots details partly because it’s a simple plot and you’d be able to extrapolate far too much by simply reading about it.

If you’re unimpressed by tons of gore and crave a film with subtle ratcheting up of the suspense then this is the movie you’ve been waiting for (I know I have been). The slow unraveling of the plots details (the few that there are) is what makes this exciting. Some people might find this boring, but for me this is great stuff.

One of the things people undoubtedly comment on is the films retro look and feel. It’s set in the 1980s and uses techniques common in that era, but it isn’t the type of film that makes a parody or homage of that film style. It’s more sincere than that and might as well take place in the present day, but it’s an interesting stylistic choice. As the director states in a recent interview, the “nudge nudge, this is an 80s horror film, hint hint,” is quickly abandoned after the opening title screen. I don’t enjoy being jerked around by that kind of storytelling so this is certainly welcome.

Also of note is the strength of our heroine in this movie. Minus one or two small points, she generally acts in an acceptable manner that is logical considering the circumstances. “loving stab that guy before he gets up!” is something that often crosses my mind while watching a horror film, but there is very little of that going on here.

One final thing I’d like to touch on is my belief that (not really a spoiler, but you might not want to read this if you want to go in blind) everything in the movie has a logical explanation. There is nothing that takes place that has to be supernatural, although most people might make that conclusion at first glance. I really enjoy being able to make those distinctions for myself and that’s a credit to the filmmaker.

There are a few minor points that I would change, but nothing significant enough to mention. I can’t wait to see what this writer/director does next.

4 / 5

James K. Polk posted:

I just watched the film for myself, and I really enjoyed it. What do you think the logical explanation is? I feel like there is one, but I want to hear what you thought!

EDIT (12-23-10) Its been a while so I don't remember all the specifics but, I think what I was referring to was the child being the devil's. Its clear she could have been raped by the son while she was out cold. That kid could clearly grow up to be just a normal person.

StickySweater fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Dec 23, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I look forward to the director's series of disappointing follow up films that will come after Hollywood overindulges him for having made such a tight, brilliant mood piece.

4/5

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
This is one of the best horror films of the decade. They just don't make 'em like this anymore. :(

5/5

candy bar
Jan 14, 2008

StickySweater posted:

everything in the movie has a logical explanation. There is nothing that takes place that has to be supernatural, although most people might make that conclusion at first glance.

I just watched the film for myself, and I really enjoyed it. What do you think the logical explanation is? I feel like there is one, but I want to hear what you thought!

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Perfect horror film until the last 10 minutes. I understand and realize what the directer was doing, and it did stay true to its purpose and soul, but I wish it could have done a bit more than to go the obvious path home.

Still, one of the best and most tense films I've ever seen.

3.5/5

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
Very nice surprise, I didn't really expect much of it. It really has an 80's feel (the decorations, lack of cellphones etc), but as said, it's not a parody of those movies. Another thing I liked is how "slow" it is, you'll wait for the scary parts but they just never come, the anticipation is great. Once they finally do however, it's pretty standard 80's slasher action. Still, very enjoyable, and a must see if you're tired of most modern horror movies.

4/5

Nuglord
Jul 17, 2011
I really enjoyed this one. I think a lot of people could be turned off big time by the ending, but for some reason I feel like it was much more satisfying than some of the more implausible endings of some other somewhat recent films like the re-make of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre and really for once it was nice to not be frustrated by a ridiculous twist in the last ten minutes of the movie.

Definitely not a movie for everyone. Has a slow tempo but a solid plot. Worth a watch if you're willing to stick it out.

4.5/5

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

A great example of a low budget horror movie done right. Straightforward thrills and chills without any of the unnecessary gimmicks or silliness that plague the genre at this level. I appreciate that the director took his time setting everything up - it made the payoff in the end all that more shocking and rewarding.

I also loved how well they portrayed the 80s here - I honestly would have thought this was an 80s movie if I hadn't known it was made in 2009. This would have been a completely different movie if they played up the 80s vibe, or presented it in a tongue and cheek manner - the fact that the director played the whole 'set in the 80s' angle straight made it so much more interesting and compelling.

5/5

Barbapappa
May 10, 2010
One of the best horror movies i've seen in a long time. Definitely worth a watch.

4/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daniel Plainview
Nov 11, 2011

I would have to say that this film surprised me in a very good way. I enjoyed the experience of watching this film, all the way through. Some people have complained about the ending but I really thought it was a nice touch, a Hitchcockian twist almost.

Ti West has been making a name for himself in the horror genre, and I believe that this film has been his best so far.

Highly recommend.

3.5/4