Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Got a quick, short question not deserving its own thread? Put it here!

Old thread was here and it was big.

Info from last thread:

Frequently asked SA questions:

How do I change my custom title?
Where can I find a list of SA smilies/emoticons?
What is a really cool resource about all things SA? Some kind of SAclopedia?

What's this "forums cancer" thing? Why are some users' posts in an annoying light-colored text that's hard to read?

Appropriate Subforums for your Burning Questions:

I want to buy a new cell phone / MP3 player / stereo system / car and need recommendations.
I want to learn how to play a musical instrument.
I'm going to travel/move to a new city/state/country and want to learn about it.
I want to build/design something.
I have a question about my finances/taxes/investments.
I have a question about careers.

General Movie Questions: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2871728
Identify a book for me: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2704537
Identify a movie for me: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2177344
(Thanks, kapalama!)

Megathreads: Please ask questions related to these topics within these threads! Starting a new thread may be grounds for probation.
I have a legal question.
I want to know what my antique/thing is worth.

Life stuff:
I want to buy a house!
Sex Questions Megathread
Engagement and Wedding Megathread - You paid what for what?
Ask about kinky sex, BDSM, and other fetishes
Birth Control Megathread
Gettin' Knocked Up
Pregnancy Megathread: Prenatal thru 3-month-old babies
Parenting megathread: they didn't tell me it would be like this

Professional:
Lawyer & Law School Megathread #12: Started Out Barrister, Ended Up Barista (CE, yours links to an archived thread)
Ask us About Becoming/Being a Teacher MEGATHREAD
Teaching English in Japan: JET and private companies
Nurse & Nursing School Megathread: Do go, lots of jobs, die loved

Book Learnin': (Be sure to also check S&P for various field- or language-specific threads)
I want to learn a foreign language - the MEGATHREAD
Ask linguists about languages and linguistics.
Ask Me About Student Loans!
Tell Future College Kids About Your School
The 2010 Grad School Megathread

Skills:
General Cooking Thread: for simple questions, recipe requests, newbies II
Fix it Fast: quick questions that don't deserve their own thread
Don't burn your house down: the wiring thread.
Veggie and Herb Gardening - You are what you eat (DIY forum)
GWS Gardening Thread 2010 - "I kill everything I touch"

The Macaroni fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
A small question to start things ofF: when a US Postal Service drop-off mailbox says there's a collection at 5 pm, does it mean they actually pick up the mail around 5, or does it mean, "We'll pick up the mail sometime today, no later than 5, and you have no way to know whether we've picked it up or not."?

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Childlike Empress posted:

A small question to start things ofF: when a US Postal Service drop-off mailbox says there's a collection at 5 pm, does it mean they actually pick up the mail around 5, or does it mean, "We'll pick up the mail sometime today, no later than 5, and you have no way to know whether we've picked it up or not."?

I'm sure it means they pick it up around 5. My anecdotal evidence for this is that I used to regularly shove my Netflix in the mail at 5 or even 5 after, and I always received notification the next day that it got there.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Childlike Empress posted:

Quoth the USPS:

Collections should be made within approximately 30 minutes of the posted collection time. However, occasional transportation issues (severe weather, blocked traffic, etc.) may result in a later collection time. If it is necessary to change the collection time a new collection schedule will be posted on the collection box.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
Some suggestions for the first post:

General Movie Questions Thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2871728

Identify a book for me thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2704537

Identify a movie for me thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2177344

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Thanks, kapalama! Added.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
New thread!

At a couple of Mcdonalds they have TVs on the wall on mute with a sign underneath saying "Volume must remain off per FCC regulations" What's up with that?

It reminded me of something, somewhat related, in the aspect ratio modes section of my TV manual it says something to the effect of "use of modes other than native may be unlawful for other than home use"

The second one I'm guessing is something like "you don't want to piss off james cameron for making your own 4:3 interpretation of avatar inside your bestbuy/blockbuster/whatever store". Is that close to right? I have no idea on the mcdonalds muted tvs though.

On the post office drop box thing: I always took it to mean "we'll be no earlier than xx:xx" as long as you get it in by then it's definitely going out today. I'd only be angry with them if they came early. There's one outside the door at my work and every time I've actually seen the guys they're always 30-90 minutes late picking up. I don't think being late to pickup hurts your letter's chances of going out that day, all the dropboxes around here have a pickup time no later than 6pm and the ones at the post office are like 9pm

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 30, 2010

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Wagonburner posted:

At a couple of Mcdonalds they have TVs on the wall on mute with a sign underneath saying "Volume must remain off per FCC regulations" What's up with that?

It reminded me of something, somewhat related, in the aspect ratio modes section of my TV manual it says something to the effect of "use of modes other than native may be unlawful for other than home use"

The second one I'm guessing is something like "you don't want to piss off james cameron for making your own 4:3 interpretation of avatar inside your bestbuy/blockbuster/whatever store". Is that close to right? I have no idea on the mcdonalds muted tvs though.

Well if McDonald's isn't paying for "business" TV service and the like, it's unlawful for them to provide the sound to their customers. It's sorta the same reason that most businesses won't have a regular radio playing in customer areas - they'd have to pay a feeeto certain groups to have the rights to play music to you.

The second sounds like it's just something thrown in there to cover their asses so they can't get sued by some jerk's media company.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

fishmech posted:

Well if McDonald's isn't paying for "business" TV service and the like, it's unlawful for them to provide the sound to their customers. It's sorta the same reason that most businesses won't have a regular radio playing in customer areas - they'd have to pay a feeeto certain groups to have the rights to play music to you.

Weird never knew that. It was foxnews they had on, if it was a regular air channel abc cbs fox can they have sound? there's ads on there that people see.

Also ads on radio people hear too, I always thought the reason for muzak was a restaurant would never find a radio station that didn't piss someone off so they chose muzak to ever-so-lightly piss us all off with light jazz or light adult contemporary.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Haus of tech support would be a good link for the "appropriate subforums" in the OP.

A few more megathreads that deal with topics commonly asked about in the old thread:

"Help me identify a song" megathread
Ask linguists about languages and linguistics
The Windows and Windows software megathread
Firefox megathread

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Wagonburner posted:

Weird never knew that. It was foxnews they had on, if it was a regular air channel abc cbs fox can they have sound? there's ads on there that people see.

Also ads on radio people hear too, I always thought the reason for muzak was a restaurant would never find a radio station that didn't piss someone off so they chose muzak to ever-so-lightly piss us all off with light jazz or light adult contemporary.

Technically if you display regular broadcast TV in a business, you still need to pay someone for the right to do it - I forget who though.

Well the muzak systems explicitly include the rights to play them to customers - some places of business instead directly pay the RIAA I think to be allowed to just play regular radio.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Some more suggestions for the OP, based on threads that are long running and of frequent interest, or questions that we get a lot in here.

Life stuff:
Sex Questions Megathread
Engagement and Wedding Megathread - You paid what for what?
Ask about kinky sex, BDSM, and other fetishes
Birth Control Megathread = Preventin' Babies since '09
Gettin' Knocked Up
Pregnancy Megathread: Prenatal thru 3-month-old babies
Parenting megathread: they didn't tell me it would be like this

Professional:
Lawyer & Law School Megathread #12: Started Out Barrister, Ended Up Barista (CE, yours links to an archived thread)
Ask us About Becoming/Being a Teacher MEGATHREAD
Teaching English in Japan: JET and private companies
Nurse & Nursing School Megathread: Do go, lots of jobs, die loved

Book Learnin': (Be sure to also check S&P for various field- or language-specific threads)
I want to learn a foreign language - the MEGATHREAD
Ask linguists about languages and linguistics.
Ask Me About Student Loans!
Tell Future College Kids About Your School
The 2010 Grad School Megathread

Skills:
GWS General Q&A Thread: for simple questions, recipe requests, newbies II
Fix it Fast: quick questions that don't deserve their own thread
Don't burn your house down: the wiring thread.
Veggie and Herb Gardening - You are what you eat (DIY forum)
GWS Gardening Thread 2010 - "I kill everything I touch"

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Wagonburner posted:

... I always thought the reason for muzak was a restaurant would never find a radio station that didn't piss someone off...

The funny thing is that for the most part it is/was used for a much more "ohh that makes sense" reason(s): Productivity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muzak_Holdings

I always wonder what the purpose of the +2000db musak on IVR's for massive companies seek to accomplish.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
On a scale from "Well it isn't .com, but so what?" to "Filter with extreme prejudice ala .ru/.cn," how trustworthy is India's .in TLD?

I'd like to register a CLEVER DOMAIN, and it's a .in. If I were to use it for email, how hosed would I be?

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
.in is pretty much ok because of the nature of the infrastructure in india and how seriously they take their IT plant as it shows to the world.

More reading:

http://us.mcafee.com/en-us/local/docs/Mapping_Mal_Web.pdf

E: Ohh as to your scale? Leaning towards "it's not a .com but whatever." Honestly it really depends on what you are doing with the domain.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Once upon a time someone mentioned to me that incredibly purified water is used in some industrial or scientific processes and that to touch this water would be harmful, because it would suck nutrients from the skin via osmosis.

Is there any truth to this? I have looked up purified water on wikipedia but it only talks about the harmful effects of drinking it - not touching it.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
If USPS's website says they've delivered a package to my home, and I never received a package, there is basically fuckall I can do about it, right?

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
http://www.ehow.com/how_4442629_claim-lost-package-usps.html

E: I'm assuming no insurance, but it's worth a try to go through the motions.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Okay, but if their website says it was delivered, and it's not there, then it was stolen, right? Or is there a possibility that their website would tell me it's been delivered when it hasn't?

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

cuttin' cat faces in the pines.

Mastiff posted:

Okay, but if their website says it was delivered, and it's not there, then it was stolen, right? Or is there a possibility that their website would tell me it's been delivered when it hasn't?

This BS happened to us last Christmas. The package definitely didn't get stolen, but they claimed it arrived. I went through all the motions and they did jack poo poo about it for me. I hope it goes better for you.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

chachu posted:

This BS happened to us last Christmas. The package definitely didn't get stolen, but they claimed it arrived. I went through all the motions and they did jack poo poo about it for me. I hope it goes better for you.

:(

I guess my next question is, how do I stop feeling suicidal when little things go wrong?

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
^^ I hear weed, but I'm sure you'd get busted on your first buy attempt and shoot yourself ;)

Mastiff posted:

Depends on how much it's worth to you but the postman says he delivered it but he didn't it's surely on him. I could have swore USPS didn't do package "drops" on the doorstep for this very reason. For UPS it's just a risk analysis for multiple trips should stuff get stolen so depending on the worth they leave it.

It's definitely worth going through the initial motions.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Mastiff posted:

If USPS's website says they've delivered a package to my home, and I never received a package, there is basically fuckall I can do about it, right?

This happened to me like two weeks ago. After calling and getting no help whatsoever I rode my bicycle around the neighborhood and found that they delivered it to the wrong house, they were supposed to call me back within an hour and I didn't recieve a call for days, then the actual driver called me to see if I had "found the package" or if I wanted to submit a claim. I was tempted to just say I never found it since he delivered it to the totally wrong house, but I took the high road.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
How do you not be boring in conversation, small talk or anything? :smith:

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

Ularg posted:

This is complicated, and there's no totally right, all encompassing answer. It's a very personal thing that varies from person to person, and whatever your exact problem is could be any number of things (you didn't really share any details). I will say that you can probably break it down to content and delivery. Content you can get from being well read, keeping up with the news, being informed, and recalling interesting events that may have happened to you. It helps to know just a little bit about everything so you can always have something to add no matter the subject. You can share your small observations that relate to the subject of conversation. For delivery, be brief but clear, and have some confidence in what you're saying. Most importantly, ask questions! If you want people to be interested in what you're saying, express interest in what they're saying. When they stop talking, follow up with an immediate comment, and ask another question to keep it going. If you strike a balance, keeping a conversation going at a nice back and forth pace can easily be achieved.

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003

Ularg posted:

I'm praraphrasing a famous quote, but google is failing me as to who said it:

"People who talk about themselves are vain.
People who talk about 'stuff' are boring.
People who talk about me are interesting."

Everyone you talk to has something interesting about them. Everyone you talk to is passionate about something. If you're not talking about that, you're probably being boring. Try to figure out what that thing is.

JasonV fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Aug 31, 2010

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

Elijya posted:

This is complicated, and there's no totally right, all encompassing answer. It's a very personal thing that varies from person to person, and whatever your exact problem is could be any number of things (you didn't really share any details). I will say that you can probably break it down to content and delivery. Content you can get from being well read, keeping up with the news, being informed, and recalling interesting events that may have happened to you. It helps to know just a little bit about everything so you can always have something to add no matter the subject. You can share your small observations that relate to the subject of conversation. For delivery, be brief but clear, and have some confidence in what you're saying. Most importantly, ask questions! If you want people to be interested in what you're saying, express interest in what they're saying. When they stop talking, follow up with an immediate comment, and ask another question to keep it going. If you strike a balance, keeping a conversation going at a nice back and forth pace can easily be achieved.

That is probably the best, most concise answer to the most open ended question I've ever read. Nice work.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Elijya posted:

Both replies are really good, thank you. I've done the whole question asking before but not like you're phrasing it. But how would I go to just "Know a little about everything" should I just start by going what my friends are interested in and do a few readings on wiki pages and sites to get a general gist? For example I have a friend who talks about his bass system a lot, and it's not that I couldn't really care too much, but I know next to nothing on Bass systems or cars. I can just read a few things to be able to add to the conversation or something, right?

JasonV
Dec 8, 2003

Ularg posted:

For example I have a friend who talks about his bass system a lot, and it's not that I couldn't really care too much, but I know next to nothing on Bass systems or cars. I can just read a few things to be able to add to the conversation or something, right?

You could probably learn a lot about bass systems and cars by talking to your friend about them?

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

Ularg posted:

Both replies are really good, thank you. I've done the whole question asking before but not like you're phrasing it. But how would I go to just "Know a little about everything" should I just start by going what my friends are interested in and do a few readings on wiki pages and sites to get a general gist? For example I have a friend who talks about his bass system a lot, and it's not that I couldn't really care too much, but I know next to nothing on Bass systems or cars. I can just read a few things to be able to add to the conversation or something, right?

If you're researching things to have better conversations with people, there's something wrong with either you or your friends. Just stop worrying about it.

onesickvdub
Dec 19, 2005

can't stop, won't stop.
I have a PDF that's about 20mbs and is approximately 300 pages I think. I'm trying to be able to view the PDF on my iPad. For some reason it doesn't format right on the iPad. The pictures are perfectly fine but the words get pushed together somehow and you're mot able to read anything.

The only thing I can think of is because it has OCR (it's a scanned strategy guide). I tried converting to other formats with mo luck. Ismt there a way to make it a normal, old school PDF? Where every page is essentially a picture??

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I noticed my sister's vehicle has song/artist info for basic FM radio. How does this work? Does a radio signal broadcast more than just the sound?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

I noticed my sister's vehicle has song/artist info for basic FM radio. How does this work? Does a radio signal broadcast more than just the sound?

Yeah, there can be some data embedded in the signal.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

onesickvdub posted:

I have a PDF that's about 20mbs and is approximately 300 pages I think. I'm trying to be able to view the PDF on my iPad. For some reason it doesn't format right on the iPad. The pictures are perfectly fine but the words get pushed together somehow and you're mot able to read anything.

The only thing I can think of is because it has OCR (it's a scanned strategy guide). I tried converting to other formats with mo luck. Ismt there a way to make it a normal, old school PDF? Where every page is essentially a picture??

You could export it as images and then convert those images to pdf. It's kind of a silly way to do it, but it'd probably be the easiest way.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

A Violence Gang posted:

Yeah, there can be some data embedded in the signal.

Huh, that's pretty cool. I had no idea. Thanks!

onesickvdub
Dec 19, 2005

can't stop, won't stop.

Loopyface posted:

You could export it as images and then convert those images to pdf. It's kind of a silly way to do it, but it'd probably be the easiest way.

How do I export the PDF to I,ages and recompile it to a PDF? Which software is ideal for this?

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Anjow posted:

Once upon a time someone mentioned to me that incredibly purified water is used in some industrial or scientific processes and that to touch this water would be harmful, because it would suck nutrients from the skin via osmosis.

Is there any truth to this? I have looked up purified water on wikipedia but it only talks about the harmful effects of drinking it - not touching it.
Drinking it is only a problem in significant quantities for extended periods of time. Osmosis also doesn't work that way; soaking your body in purified water would result in wrinkly skin a lot faster, but wouldn't result in any significant amount of stuff leaving your body.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
^^^What he said

Anjow posted:

And also I imagine with the amount of bacteria, etc on your skin, any purified water applied wouldn't really stay purified for long.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

If I put a piece of irradiated food in a sterile vacuum chamber, would it last forever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

change my name posted:

If I put a piece of irradiated food in a sterile vacuum chamber, would it last forever?

Assuming theoretically perfect sterilization of both meat and chamber, and that the chamber is 100% perfectly sealed against any intrusion from a microbe, then the only breakdown would be the meat drying out because it's in a vacuum.