Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Thrift stores, Goodwill, etc will take donations for stuff that's still in decent shape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I guess I should mention that I'm not on Facebook and all the thrift stores around here are run by a church famous for LGBT discrimination.

Guess I should just do the "free stuff" sign idea.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I've always had good luck with craigslist, both for free stuff and for buying/selling. For free stuff I usually post it, say "no replies just come get it," and put it outside. Usually gone within the day. When I moved across country I saved myself SO many trips to the thrift store this way.

i don't get why everyone hates on craigslist all the time but i refuse to give up this particular style of community bulletin board space to loving facebook.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
It varies by place but our CL is still pretty active and it’s good for that

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Is Freecycle still a thing? I know my parents found new homes for a bunch of stuff using that.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

alnilam posted:

I vaguely remember something from a story, probably a fantasy or medieval-ish one, where a messenger delivers a sealed letter to a nobleman or whatever and it says "please kill the bearer of this letter" because to the guy who wrote the message, the messenger guy has become a problem somehow.

I can't remember much else, can't even remember if I read it or watched it, and I'm sure it's happened in more than one story, but is there a big obvious one?

Road to Perdition did this, I think, with Tom Hanks delivering the 'Kill Tom Hanks' message

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

My local Craigslist is 90% one guy advertising "hotwifing is the cure for every marriage issue" no matter which section you click

I also have had decent luck with fb marketplace, but plenty of misses too. One time I had someone express interest in some stuffed toy rabbits I needed to get rid of so I replied to their inquiry and they replied like "why are you offering me live rabbits? That's unethical"
No... The plush toys... The ones you wanted......

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
If you live in Utah it’s KSL classifieds. Got rid of random stuff that way

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I have a UK single wall socket that I plug a 6-plug extension cord into, but it's still not enough for my PC corner and I'm constantly juggling plugs around depending on what I need in the moment. I want to hire an electrician to put in a double wall socket plug. Electricians in the middle east are all mainly cowboys who don't have any official certification and I've come across loads of hack jobs or just outright dangerous practices whilst living here.

If the electrician comes and just swaps the single socket plate to a double socket one with the same wiring, is this okay? Does he need to increase the size of the existing wire? Will I not overheat the existing wire by technically doubling the amount of power I'm pulling through the same wire? Because I had a guy come out and he said he'll just swap it to a double socket design without changing the wiring, but how is that any different to me plugging an extension cord into another extension cord and just running 11 devices out of the one socket?

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

The wiring in your wall is (assuming quality building practice) protected by an appropriate sized protection device like a fuse or circuit breaker. Google says 13 amps is common for UK circuits. So your wiring will be OK at least to 13 amps, generally with some headroom, and if anything along the path tries to pull more than 13 amps the fuse/breaker will stop it. As you pointed out, even if you have 2 plugs, without running new wire you are still limited by that same 13 amps. The source of the common wisdom/danger of power strips is that most people don't pay attention to their rating and they usually don't have any protection of their own. If you plug a 10 amp power strip into your outlet, nothing will stop you from using 13 amps and overheating the wiring of your cord.

In your case I would recommend simply getting a robust power strip with 10+ outlets. Match the voltage and match/exceed the current rating of your wall plug/building.

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

Potentially very silly question: in an active combat scenario, what generally happens if a soldier needs to use the bathroom? Is the standard procedure to just hold it in, or do they improvise with what's available?

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

two fish posted:

Potentially very silly question: in an active combat scenario, what generally happens if a soldier needs to use the bathroom? Is the standard procedure to just hold it in, or do they improvise with what's available?

I don't have a productive answer but "why do they wear brown pants" comes to mind.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

two fish posted:

Pissing your pants is a valid option if the situation is sufficiently urgent.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

There's also a Geneva protocol that states that if a soldier yells "I really need to pee!" then fighting must stop for a few minutes.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

That's fine. I guess you're just losers then.

Needing to go to the bathroom is just a feeling your body gives you like hunger or pain, I’m pretty sure when the fighting starts, your body will just stop sending those signals and focus on fighting (or fleeing). That or you poo poo your pants.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i dont know about foot soldiers but im pretty sure fighter pilots et al. have tubes they can piss into. i learned this from reading a story about a ww2 pilot (flying a p-38 i think) who flew was at such a high altitude that his piss tube froze and then later when he was flying upside down during a dog fight or something the frozen piss fell out of the tube and shattered his window.

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
I think adrenaline generally puts a hold on bodily functions like that until you're no longer in mortal peril unless you're sick already, in which case holding it in is going to take second priority to not dying.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Earwicker posted:

(flying a p-38 i think)

:laugh:

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
lmao

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

Is it true that combat rations constipate the hell out of you, specifically for those situations?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

two fish posted:

Is it true that combat rations constipate the hell out of you, specifically for those situations?

I’d assume that’s a myth. There were similar ones about potassium nitrate (Salt Peter) being included in rations to suppress sex drives (It doesn’t actually do that).

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I would hazard a guess that it's partly "we're trying to pack as many calories and essential nutrients as we can into a small/light package, and high fiber doesn't align with those goals" and partly "well hell, they can just take laxatives once they're back on base". It's just not a big deal, in other words.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

two fish posted:

Various types of amphetamines were part of some rations in WW2. They can lead to constipation and emphatically do reduce appetite. Obviously not relevant now but its fun theorizing about war pooping.

Also, castor oil was used as a lubricant in early WW1 planes and pilots got the shits big time because the engines weren't exactly water tight and sprayed oil everywhere. Big asterisk here, because it sounds like a story that may grown in the telling.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

if i need some 5 gallon food safe buckets can i walk into a local restaurant and ask if they'd sell me them

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Killingyouguy! posted:

if i need some 5 gallon food safe buckets can i walk into a local restaurant and ask if they'd sell me them

If you have a Firehouse Subs near you they sell their 5 gallon pickle buckets for like 3 bucks.

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009

Killingyouguy! posted:

They might even give them to you if you catch them with a bunch of empty ones. They don't compact down so you're saving them dumpster space if you're willing to wash them. That's how I got a bunch from my Walmart's bakery.

The firehouse option might be easier, though. You ever try to wash away cake icing?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
This is the laptop I think my friend is finally going to buy

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-a...p?skuId=6566024

Apparently it is better than the other in small ways. I don't know a darn thing about laptops!

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Does anyone have the macro telling machines not to loving talk to humans please

Edit - it’s something about a divine tongue I think

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Mar 30, 2024

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Fell asleep watching a drama series with my wife, where's the best place to read episode plot summaries these days so I don't have to backtrack? I feel like imdb used to have plot writeups but that site is such a mess now, I can't find it if it's there.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

alnilam posted:

Fell asleep watching a drama series with my wife, where's the best place to read episode plot summaries these days so I don't have to backtrack? I feel like imdb used to have plot writeups but that site is such a mess now, I can't find it if it's there.

I use Wikipedia for this sort of thing

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
If Jesus died on Good Friday and came back after three days wouldn't that be the Monday?

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

YggiDee posted:

If Jesus died on Good Friday and came back after three days wouldn't that be the Monday?

Maybe he died Friday morning and returned Sunday night?

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

YggiDee posted:

Some denominations mark the crucifixion on Wednesday instead (because it gives enough time for "three days and three nights" while still keeping Easter on Sunday). It's uncommon but not unheard of.

But you are correct that it doesn't line up with scripture.

e: well, it's more complicated than that, but basically if you take all four Gospels + Paul's writings you can kind of reconcile a Friday-Sunday timeline, but it relies on not using words according to their meanings and Paul is carrying a lot of the weight for an event he wasn't even there to see.

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 30, 2024

The Sean
Apr 17, 2005

Am I handsome now?

YggiDee posted:

Faith is not about things that make sense or stand up to any kind of scrutiny, even scrutiny like "how do numbers work."

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
With as close as Easter is to April Fools, you think anyone pretended to die as a prank?

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

Why are there state variations in the legality of bestiality? How is this something that isn't universally a felony?

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

some people really love their sheepfucking

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

two fish posted:

Why are there state variations in the legality of bestiality? How is this something that isn't universally a felony?

Different people & jurisdictions have different ideas of morality. Some are very enlightenment-brained and think "you can't ban it if it isn't harming anybody and animals aren't people duh" (that logic also leads to lots of tedious redditor arguments about incest)
While others are fine with just saying "we believe this is act is inherently wrong/gross/immoral so we're banning it, simple". Downside for that second one is that the same logic is often used for various nonsense religious rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

YggiDee posted:

I always figured they started counting at 1 instead of 0. The thing happened on Friday, which was the first day. Saturday would then be the second day, and on the third day (Sunday) He did His party trick.