Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

I have another physiology-related question. With the summer heat, I notice people saying they are leaving fans on for their dogs and cats. Buh? Those animals don't sweat, so how can they benefit? Am I overlooking something or are the fan people just well-meaning but dumb?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Through their noses and feet, you mean?

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Ah, perfect. :) Thanks for all the good explanations and for being so patient with me!

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Sailors were crafting fake mermen out of guitarfish or manta rays up until a hundred years ago or so I believe. Some of these still exist. They have a special name but I can't think of it. It's not the Feejee Mermaid, but something with a women's name in it, "...anne" or something like that. Does somebody know the term?

Here is the fish I am talking about.
http://fishanatomy.net/webpages/fish/guitarfish/L_external.htm

Thanks!

I think you're thinking of a Jenny Hanover or Jenny Haniver (I've seen both spellings).

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Eyeball posted:

Regular kitchen timers won't usually allow you to set seconds. Roomforthetuna, have you explored the app store for your cell phone. I found some stuff like what you're talking about when I was looking for something to do a running countdown until a specific event.

Sure they do! I've got a little digital one, and it came from the dollar store. I can set it for minutes or seconds.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Some people swear by diatomaceous earth as a safe flea powder, in addition to the Frontline/Advantage (any difference between those two?), vacuuming, spray-bombing etc.

Drimble Wedge fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Sep 15, 2011

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Ularg posted:

Edit: Second dumb question: I managed to get tiny bits of paint on my monitor. Is there a way to clean it off?

What kind of monitor is it? You should be able to just scrape it off with a fingernail when it's dry.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Wrecking Ball posted:

I've noticed that I am missing out on a lot of the bands I like touring in my city, but I always find out too late.

As in tickets were somehow already sold out 3 months ago (even though it was just announced they were coming this month) or I find out "oh hey- So and So band was here last week! ..and I missed it.."

Is there some sort of band touring tracker I can sign up for, tick off all the bands I want to be alerted of, and be emailed?

In addition to the other good advice: seek out the local venues where bands tend to play, and sign up for their email alerts or 'like' them on Facebook. I get emails from local theatres etc. with advance news of upcoming shows, opportunities to reserve tickets, and so on.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

I've noticed that for things like the rugby and football World Cups, England, Wales and Scotland compete as individual nations, yet for things like the Olympics or the FEI (equestrian) World Cup they are lumped together as "Great Britain". Why is that?

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

GimpChimp posted:

Rugby and football's huge level of UK popularity has built up from the regional team level. Each country developed their own associations to organise local matches, which are also responsible for organising participation internationally.

Also, probably more importantly, there's a long tradition of identity, emotional investment and rivalry between UK member nations channelled into those particular sports which most supporters would be loathe to give up, especially in Scotland and Wales where a UK team for football or rugby would probably involve only token non-English presence and remove the experience of familiar players, team colours, chants, etc. There's not much counterpart for that history and sentiment elsewhere in UK sports, where it's more practical just to recruit a team from as wide a pool as possible so as to hopefully not embarrass ourselves too badly.

Makes sense. :) Thank you for your explanation!

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Why did 45 RPM records have that cutout in the middle, requiring a plastic adapter to be snapped into it to play on most turntables? Couldn't they just have extended the plastic to the centre like with larger records, or does it have something to do with the rate of rotation?

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Is there any real reason for people spending a lot of time and money trying to eradicate dandelions from their lawns, beyond the fact that their grass is no longer a monochrome green? I think they look quite cheery myself. :j:

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

My boyfriend's physio lent him a TENS machine to use at home. Looking at the booklet I saw that it said it could not be sold in the US, and a bit of googling revealed that in America they are prescription-only. We're in Canada and could buy one off the internet if we wanted. What would happen if I ordered one, repacked it and mailed it to a friend in the US, and it got opened by Customs? Would it be confiscated? Would this get either of us set to Gitmo? :ohdear:

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Also see Nitwitz although I think Runts are more popular.

Edit: just do a search for "candy dispenser" i.e. http://www.amazon.com/Brookstone-CandyMan-Motion-Activated-Candy-Dispenser/dp/B003POD8O8 or seeing as you're in Oz http://tinyurl.com/84zv8yg

Drimble Wedge fucked around with this message at 07:16 on May 17, 2012

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Do you use dryer sheets? Those can leave streaks sometimes.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Schweinhund posted:

Is there an actual "goons.txt" anywhere? Meaning a downloadable .txt file with hundreds of goony quotes all on one page? Not an archived thread or article or anything.

There's a GWS version here: http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Gws.txt Not sure where a definitive forums-wide txt would be, or if there even is one.

Edit: googling "goons.txt" brings up a bunch of hits from the forums, so if you are able to view archived threads that might be a good place to start.

Drimble Wedge fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jun 6, 2012

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

b0nes posted:

Some people say they are light sleepers, some people say they are deep sleepers. Why is this? Is it a medical problem? I rarely get a good "deep" sleep. I get woken up easily. Then there is my friend. She goes to sleep and it is like she is dead. I go over to her and her husbands house and she will be talking with us then lay her head down and it is lights out. Her husband can even shake her or smack her lightly in the face and she won't wake up it's freaky.

I would love to know this as well, as I'm like your friend and can sleep through drat near anything. When I was living in a residence (dorm) in grad school I slept through a fire alarm once which scared my friends to the point where they asked me to not lock my room at night, in case there really was a fire. OTOH I have a hell of a time falling asleep and always have; when I was a kid mornings usually meant my mother and I would both be angry or in tears or both because I was being peeled out of bed after getting about 3 or 4 hours' sleep and felt like absolute poo poo.

Slightly related to the above: is there a noise limit on motorcycles in Ontario? There's at least one person in this town who has the loudest loving machine in the world and it makes me wish the yellow pages had a section where you could find snipers for hire. It's slightly related because I was trying to grab a nap this afternoon after a busy weekend and a lot of late nights, and twice when I was about to doze off, the world's loudest bike went past (once in each direction).

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

dustbin posted:

I received a Threadless shirt in the mail, and the invoice ink was imprinted on the print, so now there's black scribbles over a part of it. Any tips on how to remove the imprint it at home?

Try a few spritzes of hair spray on the ink.

Question: I work from home and I use one of these when I do calls. A few days ago I started noticing a hum or buzz on the line which is not there when the phone cord is plugged directly into a phone instead of the pad. Nothing has changed in the environment where the pad is; computer speakers are not on, and I've checked the phone jack. There are no fluorescent lights nearby. Any ideas what could be causing the humming/buzzing?

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Drimble Wedge posted:

Question: I work from home and I use one of these when I do calls. A few days ago I started noticing a hum or buzz on the line which is not there when the phone cord is plugged directly into a phone instead of the pad. Nothing has changed in the environment where the pad is; computer speakers are not on, and I've checked the phone jack. There are no fluorescent lights nearby. Any ideas what could be causing the humming/buzzing?

Base Emitter posted:

Is the pad connected to anything that has a power connection? Could be a ground loop.

Thanks! How would I even check for that? The only things connected to the pad are my headset and the phone line. However, I have figured out that it only buzzes now when the computer is on. I'm not sure where to go from here. As I mentioned, nothing has changed in my workspace.

Drimble Wedge fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jul 11, 2012

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Gemakk posted:

I want to cook with olive oil. However, there is widespread fraud where canola oil, or a mixture of oils would be labelled as olive oil.

I just want to cook and have real, authentic, extra virgin olive oil with no obligations on my part to test these oils myself. Is there a way I can find out what brands are pretty much guaranteed to be authentic?

Best place to ask would be the General Questions megathread in Goons with Spoons: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437762

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Why do humans have such large eyes with so much of the whites visible? Is this unique in the animal kingdom? (the visible sclera, I mean)

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

NESguerilla posted:

What's the best/cheapest source for audio books? Audible?

See if your public library has books available for download! Can't get cheaper than that. :) You may need to download the Overdrive software, which is free. I just checked my city's library and they have a ton of audio and ebooks titles, good current stuff too.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Captain Payne posted:

What makes colored t-shirts change color in a washing machine/dryer? I've had a blue shirt get pink streaks around the collar, a green shirt orange streaks, etc. Is there any way to prevent it?

Bit of a long shot, but do you ever use benzoyl peroxide on your skin? That can bleach or discolour textiles.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

We have cable TV services with Cogeco (we're in Ontario). Lately we have been through about 3 PVRs, and all for the same reason. If you are watching program A and have set it to tape program B, as soon as program B starts recording then the channel (A) that you are watching will freeze. We call Cogeco, they send another box, same loving thing. Is there something else we're missing, like a patch or...? Please don't say "lol go to Bell" because I will do without television before I go back to those assholes.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Xiahou Dun posted:

Wait, is ma'am bad except for that it sounds old? It's my go to if someone's over say, 40ish.

Otherwise it's miss. Is that cool?

I always thought I was being polite but you made me all self-conscious.

40ish women don't like being reminded of their age, and there's nothing anyone can do to change that.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Canada has 100 Mile House in British Columbia.

Edit: there's also 150 Mile House, 70 Mile House and 93 Mile House. "The name 93 Mile House results from its location at the 93 Mile-post from Lillooet on the Old Cariboo Road, which was built to serve Cariboo goldfields-bound travellers before the opening of the 'newer' Cariboo Road via Ashcroft" so that's what the distances are referring to.

Love this: "150 Mile House was an important stop on the Cariboo Wagon Road during the Cariboo Gold Rush. It is the junction for roads to the communities of Likely and Horsefly to the northeast." Likely and Horsefly :canada:

Drimble Wedge fucked around with this message at 20:08 on May 17, 2013

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

A British friend of mine has asked me for the names of some NFB (National Film Board of Canada) films that she and her daughter had seen on TV yeas ago on the other side of the pond. I gave her a bunch of links but she can't find exactly what she's looking for. Her description:

quote:

I'd like to see some again, like the one with the human cloning machine and the one where lots of men stood in a line leading to the edge of a cliff and shuffled along, pushing each one off in turn.

Does that ring any bells with anyone?

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

I ordered something online (telephone equipment for a home office) and when it arrived I found it was not compatible with my current equipment. It's brand new, just taken out, tested and repacked. After hunting through their website, I found statements saying that I should contact customer service to get authorization before doing a return. Of course it's Friday night, I got off work maybe an hour ago, and they don't reopen until Monday. How hosed am I if I just pack it up like it was and send it back? Nothing is defective, it's just not the right thing for what I needed.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Thanks for the quick reply! The main advantage is avoiding being berated by the boyfriend (apologies for the alliteration, it was quite unintentional) for not checking on it during the day today, when they would have been open, because we were going to be by a post office tomorrow so this might mean having to go Monday or Tuesday. Thanks; I'll wait until I hear from them.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

fizzymercy posted:

Seriously, what IS this? It's happening to me too. I cleared my history and cache and it's still doing it. Stupid firefox.

I have another question: Where can I donate a ton of perfectly wonderful but slightly worn books? I'm moving and I really can't take three heavy boxes of books with me and I was already soundly rejected by the mean old librarian in town because of their general age/condition. I really don't want all my lovely books to just go to the dump. :sigh:

Do you work or go to school? Bring a box or two to work/school, leave them in a public area with a note saying FREE TO GOOD HOME.

Edited to add: also ask local hospitals or seniors' homes if they take book donations.

Drimble Wedge fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 4, 2013

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

You people complaining about the USPS ought to move up here and see how truly awful postal service can be (apparently my city of 115k people is classed as a "rural city" by Canada Post and therefore doesn't have to get five deliveries a week). :allears: I guess that's my question: why the gently caress is that?!

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

My completely unscientific observation is that housing (in the sense of a detached or semi-detached HOUSE) is very expensive in the UK; is that correct? Here in Canada at least it seems more attainable, depending on where you live of course (I could probably get a house in rural northern Ontario at a price that wouldn't buy me a kitchen in Toronto).

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

I know I'm a bit late to the safety deposit box chat, just wanted to add this to show that even a bank vault isn't necessarily a safe place:

http://www.thewhig.com/2013/07/30/documents-in-safety-deposit-box-damaged-by-flood

KINGSTON - James Laitinen was in for a nasty surprise when he went to empty his safety deposit box at Scotiabank’s Princess Street branch last Tuesday.

To his dismay, he found his important documents caked in mould after being contaminated with water from a broken sewer line.

Laitinen, a retired resident of Howe Island, said he was asked to come in on July 23 at 3 p.m. — six weeks after the bank’s basement was flooded during the Big Dig, contaminating over 120 banker file boxes housed at the location.

The flood occurred Saturday, June 1, and resulted in the bank being closed for three weeks. However, Laitinen was only allowed to retrieve his documents, including deeds, marriage certificates, family letters and other miscellaneous contracts, last week.

Upon entering the bank’s basement vault, Laintinen said he and his wife were issued masks and latex gloves. The vault at the time was covered in plastic lining in order to ensure the room was sterile.

The box’s contents were then removed by a bank employee, and transferred into a plastic bag and given to the Laitinens to take home — as well as the number of a document-cleaning company, Polygon Canada, which specializes in freeze-drying wet paper items.

Laitinen then said he asked if the contents were contaminated with sewage, but the bank manager, Ian Anderson, claimed Laitinen, said it was water and not a cause for concern.

Laitinen added that Anderson also said the bank would offer to help pay for the cleaning services, but didn’t specify when or how much the bank would cover.

“He said it was under human decency they were helping us out,” Laitinen said. “They claimed the flood was an ‘act of God’ and they weren’t responsible.”

When contacted by The Whig-Standard, Anderson declined to comment on the matter.

(more at above link)

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

You're going to miss out on a lot of micronutrients, not to mention a lot of enjoyment in life. How will you be getting your protein? Realistically, how long do you think you can keep it up for? You should be asking for specific tips in YLLS or Goons with Chickencheese.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Easy proteins: eggs, tofu, cheese, tuna...

GWC General Questions Megathread

Help! I'm poor and want to make good food!

Awesome recipes with few ingredients

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

loki k zen posted:

Do you think less of people/ think they're not 'proper goons'/ listen to comments less if they're posted by an account with a 'stupid newbie' avatar?

Interested in multiple opinions on this.

I usually look at the registration date, since I know some people keep that avatar for years and never bother to upgrade, so I guess that's a "no" from me.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Reichstag posted:

Please don't wear a vest.

Agreed. Vest on its own has a whiff of "1970s variety show" about it.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

b0nes posted:

Don't know if this would be better in Games or not. In Saints Row IV there is the Classical channel, and they do readings of classical literature. Where would I listen or purchase this in real life? Also is classical music that is produced now still called "classical"?

Don't overlook your public library either; most now let you 'borrow' audiobooks and ebooks.

Edit: while I'm here...a friend of mine has been getting repeated calls from a collection agency regarding a Bell account (we're in Ontario). It's not her account, nothing to do with her, but yesterday she got 15 calls about it. I know collection agencies are full of assholes; how can she get them off her back?

Drimble Wedge fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Sep 12, 2013

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Thanks all! Not sure why she's getting called unless she's got their old number. I will pass that on. Also Bell sucks and must be destroyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Around here, PhDs are addressed as "Dr." in a clinical or academic setting, i.e. student to prof, departmental memos, and so on. PhDs don't use their titles socially unless they are complete jagoffs. Doctors, dentists, veterinarians etc. can be "Dr." all the time.