Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Woz My Neg rear end posted:

Broniesm (and any other bizarro alternative lifestyle) is sustained by the counterpressure from standing up to disapproval. If no one around him cares or notices, he'll get tired of it and move on to something healthier.

Like peddling his rear end at truck stops for meth money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

cargo cult posted:

I have a friend who is clinically diagnosed with schizophrenia/manic depressive disorder, but for some reason he's a pscyh major? Is there ANY way you can become a qualified therapist/psychologist with that kind of poo poo on your record? What are other career options with a psych major? High School Guidance counselor?

Aren't most Psych majors either mentally ill or self-diagnosed with something? He sounds like he has a promising career ahead of him. :suicide:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

cargo cult posted:

My question was mostly are you inherently disqualified from being a practicing therapist due to mental health conditions. Also I have to take issue with the idea of Psychologists as scientists, Psychiatrists are MDs, hence them allowed to have prescription pads, I have no loving idea what they train psych majors in but it's not science.

:raise:

Psychologists do research and therapeutic work, as well as corporate gigs. They don't get scrip pads but if they're in counseling they usually have an MD who will sign off to whatever they think is the likeliest med for their patients.

There is no broad disqualification for mental illnesses across the board. To paraphrase Forrest Gump "crazy is as crazy does," and a lot of pre-employment screening is intended to catch people who fit a pattern of mental illness.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Golbez posted:

Metroid Prime 1 is far better.

That doesn't mean Prime 2 isn't awesome. It's just not transcendentally amazing like Prime 1 was. Prime 1 was pretty much a perfect game, a love letter to the Metroid series.

Metroid Prime was better than Super Metroid*. Two was hellishly hard but worth it. I'm just chiming in because drat those were some good games.

*Super Metroid was the SNES game** so this means something.

**Besides A Link to the Past.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

alnilam posted:

Two-parter, all regarding online (RSS) news sources. I couldn't find a thread on "where do you read your news" or on "google account interface stuff."

One:
I currently read the "Reuters Top News" RSS feed (edit: it's http://feeds.reuters.com/reuters/topNews), and I find that it's pretty good about avoiding stupid celebrity news. The downside that's making me reconsider is that about 30-50% of its headlines are financial news, which I don't care as much about. The non-financial coverage is really great though, and its posting rate (~25/day) is very manageable.
Can anyone recommend a news RSS that is mostly global (a bit of US centrism is okay), avoids stupid crap, and doesn't spend more than 10% of its time on stock/market news?

Two, which might possibly answer one:
I've heard google news is pretty good about letting you customize what you do and don't care to see. Problem is, I like to have gmail in other languages for practice, and that causes google to put google news stories in e.g. spanish, all from spanish sources. It'd be okay if the news interface were in spanish, but I want the news itself to be english. I can't find a preference anywhere to limit the language preference to the interface only. Any tips?

I like the BBC RSS feed. It does somehow manage to include some sports news I could do without, but it's a good quick summary of what's going on in the world.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Another Person posted:

Why do most Americans seem to hate on New Jersey? More so than other states that is.

As a Brit, I have no real idea what NJ is actually like, but from what I have seen in pictures and descriptions, it seems to be just the same as most other surrounding states. I see it on television pretty often, or used to. One example that sticks out in my mind is one episode of Futurama, where Fry is apartment hunting, and he turns down an apartment because it is simply in NJ. I know that is for comedy and all, but I have seen it a few times now, with little to no explanation given as to why. It makes even less sense when you take into consideration the actual size of NJ, is relatively tiny.

A very stupid question indeed. Maybe not quite a small answer though.

Not being British I don't quite understand the concept of "chavs." Nevertheless I can assure you that the stereotypes about NJ is that it is absolutely packed with chavs. See also the television programme Jersey Shore.

Oh, and the mob drama The Sopranos "takes place" there.

According to Kevin Smith, noted Jersey local and fat director, most of NJ is pretty bucolic and nice but then you see these (just about put a mean/dumb ethnic slur about Italians here) Gottis and welp:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Golbez posted:

We're having an apocalyptic movie night. What do y'all recommend? So far we're collecting everything from Children of Men to Shaun of the Dead.

Miracle Mile featuring Denise Crosby and Anthony Edwards. A scared kid in a missile silo accidentally calls a random dude in payphone to let his dad know it's Armageddon and tips him off about the ensuing nuclear exchange.

Also, everything WHEEZY said. Especially 12 Monkeys.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Asiina posted:

I'm sure this has been asked somewhere at some point before, so apologies if this is repeated, but the internet is failing me.

My American friends are asking me how we tip strippers in Canada, but I honestly don't know.

The internet is giving me a lot of joke answers. Some of the more plausible ones seem to be a tip jar or using some sort of funbux, but I can't find any actual proof.

Anyone know for sure?

It was probably a joke about Canadian Tire money.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Whack posted:

Overall, what's worse for you soda or beer?

Urine luck. There's a (gassed) thread for this already.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3381738

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

change my name posted:

Maybe his spacebar was broken? Or maybe he was an amateur latin fanatic? Theydidn'thaveanyspacesbetweenwordsyouknow.

They couldn't figure out 0s either. Hence the Arabic numeral system.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Farecoal posted:

You can't ever cut your hair, including facial hair, so just know that up front.

But you get to carry a sword, always.

Not a real sword though. A really sad little hairpin of a thing, that you will probably need to pin up your hair with.

On the other hand, their basic philosophy for carrying said sword is awesome as hell.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I had to lock an old myspace account once and I seem to remember it involves emailing a picture of yourself holding a piece of paper with your account info on it.

Screwy poo poo.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

dee eight posted:

That's weird. You should have a key that's identical for the ignition/door, or two keys, one for doors and trunk, one for ignition.

Take the VIN and registration to a [your make] dealer and they might be able to fix you up.

Also, what is the make/model?

I had a Subaru Outback that had a separate key for the tailgate. It was because of the fact that it had had its rear end clipped off, presumably in an accident, and a new one Frankensteined on. The Carfax did not mention this salient bit of information.

My mom pointed out that the wear on the bottom parts of the fenders and doors didn't match front to back. :negative:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

CatchrNdRy posted:

I am having intermittent internet connection problems.

I am connected to my house network, so at first I naturally assumed it was my cable modem. However, when I unplug from the router, and directly connect to the cable modem there is no issue with connection. If it was a problem with the router how come all wireless devices and my desktop can connect to the local network at least?

How do I narrow down which piece of hardware I should replace?

If your modem is solid, and all your devices are intermittently getting crapped on it's your router taking intermittent craps. Is it overheating? Do you live in a apt/neighborhood where you see a lot of other people's networks? You can try inSSIDer to see if your signal is getting stomped on by your neighbors routers and then see if there's a frequency you can switch to that's cleaner.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

stubblyhead posted:

I have a Logitech headset w/ microphone either identical or very similar to this one. I've been pretty happy with it for the most part, but the insulation where the output wire joins the connector is starting to split apart. This is after six months of not quite daily usage, and I definitely haven't been being rough with it. Any recommendations for a replacement? Something with a single connector for speakers and mic would be preferable, but not a requirement.

No idea on the replacement but just as a heads-up, if you have a worn out, busted or otherwise messed up Logitech product, chances are if you contact them they'll replace it with either the same thing or something newer/better for free.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

stubblyhead posted:

Oh, that's good to know. Is their warranty department pretty easy to work with? I don't think I still have the original receipt, though it was a work purchase so it's possible.

Some goons in the mouse thread (yes there is such a thing) have had insanely positive experiences with their customer support. Just suggesting that you might have a problem seems to motivate them to ship you a brand new equivalent of something you bought in 2005 because the scroll wheel is sticking or what have you. I would hope the same applies to headsets, definitely hit them up about it. Don't worry about the receipt, a hosed up cord in a six month period is a big deal to them and they probably would like to know how/why that happened.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Tshirt Ninja posted:

What kind of plant is this?

Echeveria prolificeditfuckbeaten.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

butts lol posted:

Considering there's so much animal expertise on these forums (Critterquest, etc, etc) I thought this would be a good place to ask this question:

What kind of animal is this made from? I got it for £5 used at a festival and I'm just unreasonably curious as to the origin of this coat. Obviously it needs a few repairs but I'll get to that later, just in case it's made from the rarest and most expensive animals and I totally butcher it.

edit: while I'm at it has anyone got any fur-sewing tips? Should I just take out the lining and sew it up from the leathery side of the fur? The lining's silk but it's pretty nasty and I wouldn't mind removing it all that much.

It looks like fox.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Nighthand posted:

Pragmatist, possibly?

I like this.

Offering to pay for everyone and then being a grumpy gus because they get the BIG SALAD isn't cool. Unless you tell everyone they can't supersize in advance. Go with the gusto or just buy a round of drinks instead.

Seriously though, as stated above, it's probably "moocher."

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Red_Fred posted:

Yeah I was wondering what I would need to tuck it in though. I don't want to pull up any of the carpet. Staples?

Wireless is bad for games! :goonsay:

Wireless is also bad if you live in a neighborhood with a couple dozen wireless routers within a few hundred feet of you. Also microwaves, those things can kill your signal dead. And in apartments it doesn't have to be your microwave that does it.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Cymbal Monkey posted:

There's a part of the brain that has a fairly significant size variance from person to person, I sadly don't remember which bit. But studies show that people who have the larger version of this bit pick up languages really quickly and easily, while people who have smaller ones just have to suck that metaphorical dick. I suspect that most people in those lines of work have that larger bit of brain.

Does this correlate with learning your primary language quickly? I'd like to think that speaking and reading early means I'd catch a break if I ever try learning a new language.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

when worlds collide posted:

I can honestly say that I have never seen as many people who share similar views as I do, than here. Maybe I just didn't figure out where to look, but regardless. People like Story with his American Dream thread, and the prison effort threads by erm, damnit I forget the author's name, I'm sorry... the feminism thread of HOW HIGH THE MOON's and many more.

The prison threads were done by HidingFromGoro.

Sometimes I wonder if Joe Arpaio did something to him because as far as I know he doesn't post anymore.

Edit: he's posted as recently as February but I guess he passed the torch.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Does anyone have that post by Tom Collins that theorizes about why SA works as well as it does? I can't think of the right search terms for it.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Wandering Knitter posted:

What's the best way to wash a baseball cap? I have to wear one while I work and after a single day it's mostly soaked in sweat. Difficulty: I have to turn it in at the end of the season so I can't do anything that might wreck it.

Wait wait wait... what kind of chintzy operation is making you give back a hat? That is so gross if they're gonna make someone else wear it.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Baron Bifford posted:

Has it ever occurred that two undercover cops end up arresting each other because neither was aware of the other's operation? What is the cop term for this occurence?

No idea.

Best case scenario?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Lichtenstein posted:

I spilled a soft drink on my laptop's keyboard a few days ago. I wiped it out as good as I could, but some of the keys are still sticky from the bottom side, making them hard to press. How can I salvage the situation, as I suppose I can't just rip the keys off, clean it and put them back like I would do with a "normal" keyboard of a desktop PC?

The mechanism for laptop keys often resembles a tiny ironing board with about 3 different plastic pieces that snap together underneath each key. They're very small and delicate and if you aren't careful they can snap as you try to pry the keys off. If you plan on doing this to very many keys it might be a good idea to secure some replacement parts beforehand or you'll be googling for them on the little rubber nubs underneath all that stuff.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Regarding the retention of youtube (public domain only) videos, Download Helper is another awesome, easy to use tool.

I just tried it out again for the first time in months and it grabbed a 16mb 4 minute video clip in a few seconds. Faster than youtube would dole it out to you.

I think it's Firefox only though.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Huntersoninski posted:

Maybe he was making fun of all the pools being above-ground? Is that still a thing some people do?

poo poo's gone underground now.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Got hit by a hot dog stand apparently.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Brief History of Time assumes nothing more of you than you once took a class on how reading works. I don't know many other great science books but Cosmos (anything Sagan did, really) is great because it's really accessible and really informative.

Yeah, I read Brief History of Time when I was a freshman in high school and it was mind blowing, and fairly easy to understand. And seconding Sagan, Pale Blue Dot and Demon Haunted World were awesome.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

N. Senada posted:

There's a lovely, offensive joke (in the worst way possible) about the acronym "LGBT" referring to a sandwich from McDonald's. I'm trying to find the wording to give it to some dumb fucker on facebook to remind him how horrible he is at times; can anyone help me with this?

Maybe you could tell all of us unimaginative non-haters what the joke is for starters. Is it related to the McDLT?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Xiahou Dun posted:

People have pretty much answered your question, but I thought it interesting to add that Tom Waits has actually managed to trademark his voice after a fight with Frito-Lay.

(Tom Waits owns.)

He totally does.

Unfortunately Beach House is not doing as well with their fight against Volkswagen.

http://www.clashmusic.com/news/beach-house-vs-volkswagen

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Is there a way to transition a Facebook profile page for an author/famous person that let's you keep all of your 'friends' as 'fans'? It seems like what they want you to do is set up an organization page and request all your friends 'like' that but that would end up losing some of the users in the transition. It's for a friend who thinks as a "computer guy" I know anything about Facebook, but I really don't.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

AlphaDog posted:

There was a quote, I think it was from SA, and it was about running slowly.

I think it started with "Today, I ran two miles slowly" or it might have been one mile. I don't know. I'm trying to find it for my girlfriend, who has just started going to the gym.

Ravel posted:

From the OP of a thread in W&W

somebody posted:

I run slow

I work in the social services, and a lot of the people we work with have a lot of regrets. I've asked our case managers to have their clients come out and watch me run. I run so slow, time run backwards. As I waddle along, your life runs in reverse. Scars becomes wounds become chances to exercise better judgement. I run slow.

Like most people, I enjoy running in the mornings, before it gets to hot. Unlike most people, I've been pushed over by a squirrel.

I run slow. Sometimes when I am running, I think of those zen fountains that absorb a drip drip drip of water down a bamboo tube before finally tipping over and dumping their contents into a pool. Each step I take is another drip. I think, that fountain would call me a pussy.

I run slow. But I know where I have been.

Six months ago, I didn't run.

Six months ago, I had heartburn bad enough to keep me from sleeping through the night. Six months ago, I felt like I needed to go to sleep at 2pm. And six months ago, running felt impossible.

I run slow, and I have ways to go. But I can sleep. I feel alive. I can run two, slow, miles. Slowly.

Sometimes I get discouraged. I compare where I am to where other people are. But all that matters is where I am compared to where I was.

Once something good becomes something you are going to do for the rest of your life, the pace becomes less important. I know that my drip drip drip will amount to that deluge, eventually. Someday I will run 3 miles, slowly.

I put a linkback to the quote thread for some reason.

And Hoops, that makes sense about the facebook thing. I let her know and she's not too disappointed.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

AlphaDog posted:

For a game I'm working on, what are names for some of the "bad guy" type people in the corporate world. If you could mention which department they're usually from, I'd appreciate it.

Things like "rogue trader", "brown noser", "con artist", and "hacker" is what I'm looking for. Stereotypes (regardless of truth) are fine as long as they're not racist/sexist.

Head hunter. Human Resources.

And what CEB said.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

AlphaDog posted:

Well yeah, CEO is good. I agree with the second one, but it's a bit long.I'm more after more things like "head hunter".

The Crimson Permanent Assurance.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Lance Streetman posted:

I know why tea and honey is delicious, but why is it so amazingly good for sore throats?

In addition to what that cool guye just said, honey is an antibiotic.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Chippita posted:

What the hell is this beast of a moth. Also, he needs a name, although he'll likely be dead by tomorrow. Any goons able to help out with either?

Some kind of silk moth.

http://www.science.oregonstate.edu/bpp/insect_clinic/images/Antheraea%20polyphemus.jpg

(imgur is not accepting uploads, enjoy this medium frostee)

edit: hope I've removed enough tags to keep that from being image leaching

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Lance Streetman posted:

Are there any free image editing programs with crop functions similar to Microsoft Office Picture Manager? I'm talking about the thing where you just grab a side and pull it as far in as you want (and it shows the dimensions of the image before and after the crop). I just got a new computer without Microsoft Office, and I don't like any of the crop tools I've tried so far.

This is a pretty good basic image editor, supports most standards.

Edit: what VVV said http://www.irfanview.com/

And the Win7 snipping tool.

syscall girl fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jun 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Windows. Alas.

Webmail is fine too, just so long as it can handle importing mail from like 8+ addresses (I only /need/ maybe 5 but welp).

Thunderbird works for me.

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/