Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Are there any good threads or external guides about backing things up?

I have recently been thinking a lot about what I do not want to ever loose and what I should be making backups of however I know there will be a guide or thread around that will have thought of things I didn't or better ways to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Red_Fred posted:

Are there any good threads or external guides about backing things up?

I have recently been thinking a lot about what I do not want to ever loose and what I should be making backups of however I know there will be a guide or thread around that will have thought of things I didn't or better ways to do it.

Sorry to quote my own post but I figured it got lost last page.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I think people need to realise that it is the hot water that actually kills the germs and bacteria on your dirty dishes not the dish washing liquid. The liquid just helps to remove stuff, although some claim to have anti-bacterial stuff in them.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Besesoth posted:

Nobody's talking about the soap, dude, we're talking about washing your dishes with a filthy sponge, which is like bathing with used toilet paper.

Well he did mention that his housemates didn't use hot water, or at least just rinsed with it.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Are there any forums or threads where I could get advice on Cacti?

The one I have at the moment is very close to death and I want to get another but I want it to survive and thrive in my room so I may need another species and would need advice on that too.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I have a couple of questions.

1. Why does caffeine make you poop?

2. Why can't go quality cooking knives go in the dishwasher?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Internet Cliche posted:

Ok, I'm going to sound like an idiot, but good thing this is the idiot thread.

How does it make any difference what stereo is used beyond how much power it draws? Isn't all the sound going to be reliant on the speakers and amps connected to it, and the quality of the original recording? How does the stereo matter if it's just wires?

To my mind, this is equivalent to the "HDMI is a digital signal" canard that always comes out whenever Monster cables are discussed. I agree with that, I just don't see how the same reasoning doesn't apply when it comes to stereo systems.

My understanding is that if the signal is 100% digital (such as HDMI) then the amp won't really matter. Quality amps come into play when you are dealing with analogue signals and connections.

I think in most stereo setups speakers are connected through analogue cables so having decent speakers/cables/amp matters.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

hooah posted:

The amp is always post-DAC (digital-to-analogue converter), so that part matters quite a bit. As do the speakers. Other than those two parts, any otherwise all-digital system should pretty much the same as another.

Ah okay that makes sense. CD-Players are digital right? So connecting it to my amp with an optical connection would be exactly the same as the current analogue connection it has at the moment?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Does anyone know of any software that can keep an inventory of my CD collection? Preferably free. Bonus if I can somehow use my phone to scan barcodes.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Aintain posted:

I failed the etoh test, got denied the job. Thanks anyway for your help guys!

Out of interest what for? Unless you were up the night before drinking heavily I can't see how you would fail. Actually even if you were drinking the night before if you got a good sleep between then and the test I would have thought you would be fine.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Cross post from the general photography thread but I want to know what is the preferred photo management software at the moment. I don't really do much editing so those capabilities aren't very important, also being cheap would be good.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

tarepanda posted:

What OS/quality? If you just want to save pictures and tag them, something like Picasa might be fine.

I use Windows 7 and my photos are taken and stored in RAW format. I have been using Picasa but find that it is pretty low on features.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
What is everyone's favourite cable management solution for a computer desk area?

I am pretty tempted to try something like this. Any reasons I shouldn't or better ideas?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I need to run a cat5e network cable up some stairs and into my room at my soon to be flat. I chose a colour that would hopefully blend in with the skirting boards as I was thinking of sort of tucking it between the carpet and skirting boards. Does anyone make staple type things that won't damage the carpet or skirting boards but will hold the cable?

I apologise for this being pretty :frog:

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Is it carpeted?

Yeah the stairs and hall are carpeted. However I think I might run it along the skirting bit as that is a straight line up the stairs rather than along the stairs as that would mean I need way more cable. If that makes sense.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

I meant to ask if you have carpet for the whole run. Sounds like you do. You can get cat5 pretty cheap and tuck it the whole way.

Why is wireless not an option?

Yeah I was wondering what I would need to tuck it in though. I don't want to pull up any of the carpet. Staples?

Wireless is bad for games! :goonsay:

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Is there an easy way to identify spider bites?

No talking the poisonous kind by the way. I woke up yesterday and had four pimple looking things on my back. I didn't think much of this as I occasionally get pimples on my back. It wasn't until my girlfriend mentioned that they were all sort of in a line and that you wouldn't get four pimples from no where overnight. We are assuming some little spider got angry when I maybe rolled on to him in the night.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Mak0rz posted:

:eng101: Sure, follow this guide:

- Unless you have been shoving your hand into every burrow and crevasse you can find and stuffing spider webs down your shirt on a regular basis there is a 99% chance that you were not bitten by a spider.

In the very, very, very unlikely event that a spider actually bit you:

- If you live in south-western USA and feel symptoms of latrodectism, then it was a widow.
- If the you live in south-eastern USA and the area bruises heavily and eventually becomes necrotic, then you could have been bitten by a brown recluse.
- If you live any place other than Australia you are in no danger. If you live in Australia then you're probably going to die, sorry :(

You have insect bites. I don't mean to cause panic but red pimple-like blemishes in a line is indicative of bed bugs. Do a check ASAP.

Thanks. What do I actually check for? Are they big enough to be seen by the naked eye? Tell-tale signs?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Cross post from the Windows software thread. I'm after an online backup solution. I have about 60-100Gb of files that I would like to backup for one Windows computer (possibly another Mac in the future also). It needs to have pretty adjustable software and be able to do automated backups. Does something like this exist?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

stubblyhead posted:

There's lots of stuff out there. Look into Dropbox, Spideroak or Carbonite and see if any of them offer what you're looking for. Looks like $10/mo. is the price point for 100 GB of space.

Yeah I'm doing the CrashPlan trial. It seems to be the cheapest and has the most options.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Is there a random appliances thread somewhere? I need to get a new electric toothbrush but there are way too many choices.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Baron Bifford posted:

I took a trip to Amsterdam and smoked a joint in a coffeshop. It was also the first time I smoked anything or even tried a drug. I felt nothing, no pleasant "high" that drug users keep raving about, just a foul aftertaste in my mouth and odor clinging to my clothes. I did notice that I had no nervous meltdowns, restlessness or self-injurious behavior for at least five hours afterwards, but sometimes I have nice days like that anyway.

You probably didn't inhale properly. Unless you're a smoker already there is sort of a technique.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Is there a secure video calling app that works between Android and iOS? WhatsApp is fine for messages and calling but it doesn't do video calls and my searches haven't turned up any secure apps that do.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

photomikey posted:

Google Hangouts works on both Android and iOS. Skype should work with both. I'm not sure what "secure" means to you, so I can't elaborate on that.

Neither of those are encrypted end to end.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Is there still a thread around where people will make you avatars? If not where can I find a new one? I have no inspiration.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Is there a thread that is best to ask about password managers? I'm currently using KeePass on Windows and iOS but I'm thinking of moving to 1Pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

syscall girl posted:

Try here.

(I'd recommend continuing to use Keep rear end but that's me)

Thanks I'll ask there.