Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
New thread!

At a couple of Mcdonalds they have TVs on the wall on mute with a sign underneath saying "Volume must remain off per FCC regulations" What's up with that?

It reminded me of something, somewhat related, in the aspect ratio modes section of my TV manual it says something to the effect of "use of modes other than native may be unlawful for other than home use"

The second one I'm guessing is something like "you don't want to piss off james cameron for making your own 4:3 interpretation of avatar inside your bestbuy/blockbuster/whatever store". Is that close to right? I have no idea on the mcdonalds muted tvs though.

On the post office drop box thing: I always took it to mean "we'll be no earlier than xx:xx" as long as you get it in by then it's definitely going out today. I'd only be angry with them if they came early. There's one outside the door at my work and every time I've actually seen the guys they're always 30-90 minutes late picking up. I don't think being late to pickup hurts your letter's chances of going out that day, all the dropboxes around here have a pickup time no later than 6pm and the ones at the post office are like 9pm

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 30, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

fishmech posted:

Well if McDonald's isn't paying for "business" TV service and the like, it's unlawful for them to provide the sound to their customers. It's sorta the same reason that most businesses won't have a regular radio playing in customer areas - they'd have to pay a feeeto certain groups to have the rights to play music to you.

Weird never knew that. It was foxnews they had on, if it was a regular air channel abc cbs fox can they have sound? there's ads on there that people see.

Also ads on radio people hear too, I always thought the reason for muzak was a restaurant would never find a radio station that didn't piss someone off so they chose muzak to ever-so-lightly piss us all off with light jazz or light adult contemporary.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Kobalt posted:

Bennigan's!

Garfield's has an even better monte cristo. No more garfield's where I live though.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
How do I use an a cheapass analog multimeter to measure voltage?

I got my first auto-range digital meter at like age 10 in true nerd fashion but last week some emergency continuity-testing far away from home came up and prompted me to go buy the cheapest thing at walmart. I figured the resistance/continuity part out ok, now it's on my desk and I'm playing around with it.

I think I have it figured out, tell me if I'm right.

The only scale for dc voltage goes 0-250 with 5v hashes. it has a 2.5, 10, 50, 250 and 500vdc ranges on the selector.

If I put it in the 2.5vdc range and put the leads onto an aa cell it reads 155vdc.

Soo...since the range, 2.5 is a hundredth of the scale's max 250 and 155 / 100 is what an AA has, is that it? divide by 100 when using the 2.5vdc range?

divide by 25 when using the 10vdc range, divide by 5 when using the 50vdc etc etc.?

Multiply x 2 when using the 500vdc?

I'm pretty sure this has to be it but I've googled for like "how to use analog multimeter" and everything I've seen expects my meter face to have a separate scale for each range, I just have the one 0-250 one.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Sep 3, 2010

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

stubblyhead posted:

I am pretty sure you have it right, but I have never seen an analog multimeter with only one scale like that. Do you have a known power source other than that battery, like a DC power supply that you could confirm with?

no bench ps type thing but I have computers. I'll try in a sec. I did just plug it into a 120vac outlet using the 500vac range. AC uses the same 0-250 scale on the meter and it read about 60vac so I think I'm right about *2 when using the 500v ac/dc ranges I guess.

edit: yup. using 50vdc range plugging into the 5vdc side of a molex connector it reads 25vdc and plugging into the 12vdc part of the molex it reads 60 so I guess: reading(range/250)=ELECTRIC VOLTS!

edit again: somewhat related and this reminded me, I have 2 digital meters at home, one of them (from home depot, bright yellow with a rubber cover, looks like a complete ripoff of a fluke) it has ranges on it for ac and dc voltage. Why are there selectable ranges on a digital meter? What's the point of that? my other digital simply has ac volts and dc volts selections.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Sep 3, 2010

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I have a bluetooth dongle plugged into my pc, I've only ever used and only ever thought to use it to transfer files between the pc and phone.

I found an old bluetooth earpiece in my truck I don't use anymore (I have bt deck now) could I pair this with the pc somehow and talk to people through the new google phone call/google voice integration in gmail? Or do earpieces only work with phones? is there such thing as "pairing" on a pc? or do pcs only xfer files with bt? (earpiece is charging up now)

VVV I'm trying that, using win 7 so a few things are different, I've got it paired up now but google phone thing still comes through my speakers, but vlc plays only through the earpiece. I dunno. I'll try again tomorrow. VVV

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Sep 10, 2010

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

They think that the real world could be like that, where the matter at a very subatomic level doesn't fully fuse or 'render' until we look at it.

We as in humans? What if a fly looks at it? does it render then?

I can quit looking at the table behind me with no flies on it and then look back and see a fly on it sometimes so I'd say he saw it without me having to look, so a fly can render things by looking at them.

So how insignificant do you have to be for your look to not matter? What isn't looked at by at least something? If there's a mountain and within 10 miles no one is looking at it except a fly who's 10 miles away are there still trees on it? You couldn't see a tree from 10 miles away but they are part of the mountain as a whole.

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

It blew my loving mind, but Mr. Freeman made it somehow feel like a gentle hug.

morgan freeman can make anything sound good
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQwox_cAt04

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I've got 2, really stupid and small.

1. what does "bottle-drunk" mean? I don't remember where I've read this, it was definitely in text, a book or the internet, not spoken.

Doesn't all alcohol come in bottles unless you're buying beer for the beach/lake and you get cans? Is this referring to like grizzled hard-rear end types in movies that walk around with a 5th of jack taking big long pulls not bothering to use a glass/make something with it (also rich princess types carrying a bottle of champagne or wine) and the special kind of drunkeness that comes from that kind of dedication?

2. There's a commercial for a chrysler minivan that plays all the time. It's a bunch of dudes in a minivan driving across sand dunes. One of the guys is wearing some african militia warlord type uniform. Everyone's in silence until someone asks the nav-system to take them to the emergency room.

Someone else asks: "who's going to the emergency room?"
African warlord guy answers in african accent: "We ALL are."

I don't get it. Is there something to get? a movie reference or something? It's a cool commercial I think but maybe it'd be cooler if I understood it more.

edit: maybe I was asleep and commercials suddenly got really honest and the point is "buy a chrysler and your steering rack, brakes, poo poo, something important will fail in a life-threatening/maiming type way so you might as well be on the way to the ER".

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Sep 13, 2010

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Where did "SOMETHINGAWFUL DOT COM!" (as in yelling that) come from?

I think it was some thread where a goon wrote about his IRL interaction with real humans and he yelled that out as a final parting, sorta like a gang member would yell out "5th street crips!" after a drive-by.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Steve Yun posted:

Anyone know where I can find more lights along these lines?

The generic term for not seeing the bulbs/using a wall or ceiling as the reflector is "indirect lighting" if that helps.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Someone posted a site once somewhere here on SA that could translate any youtube-like flash video site into a stream that most mobile phones could play. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

I think you opened this website on your phone, told it the url or something of the video you wanted and then it sent a stream starting up your media player.

I used to use this on my windows phone but haven't ever since I go the skyfire browser. I know someone with a dumb-phone that could benefit from this.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Ok from watching a bunch of science shows over the years I have somewhat of a layman's understanding of what a mass-spectrometer does and a few of its uses and this thing I'm questioning sounds like it has the same principles or is at least used for some of the same things. but..

It was something my brother was telling me about years back, he's a paramedic for a private company, was hanging out in a firestation one time and said the firemen were showing him something bought with a bunch of federal anti-terror money. It was something to be used for detecting bad stuff, anthrax or explosives or something. Anyway, he said one of the firemen put some mint skoal in the thing and it popped up "mint skoal" on the screen.

Is that for real? or is he BSing me? (or firefighters BSing him? double-clicking on a .doc that has "mint skoal" typed in 48pt times new roman) Seems a little CSI-ish to me. Could I put mint timberwolf in and it say "mint timberwolf"? Would it know the difference between goldfish crackers and wal-mart "cheese-whales"? what's the thing called? Does it have a huge database stored inside it of every substance and consumer product's electron or whatever signature?

(I have no idea why this popped into my head today 5+ years after him telling me about it)

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Nov 11, 2010

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

stubblyhead posted:

Sorry, the it's your birthday thing predates 50 Cent by a long time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvNDimHIfws

I remember seeing some interview with him when I was a kid about the 2 live crew being too nasty or something. It was oprah or sally jessy or one of them trick hos. I think they actually had motley crue on the show too and were talking about motley crue=good because even though they talk about satan sex and drugs they don't say the word gently caress. (unless I'm completely delirious and this was SNL or something)

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
My 6 year old loves mspaint and we have about $50 more to spend on her for christmas.

I'm thinking about a drawing tablet, I had an atari one when I was a kid and it was great but I don't know anything about modern ones. All I've seen online are pressure sensitive and mostly expensive, we won't need that for mspaint.

How does it work anyway? You just use it as the mouse? Use the pen to select another mspaint tool or click file/save?

I saw a couple for 40-50 on newegg (genius brand) but wasn't sure they'd do what we wanted. plus the pen needs batteries and that kinda sucks.

Would there be something any type of stick/stylus/retracted ballpoint would work with? Any suggestions?

The $50 genius one was pressure sensitive which makes me think something that isn't (like my old atari one) would be even cheaper if I knew what to search for.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Dec 3, 2010

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Binowru posted:

Do you have a Nintendo Wii? If so there's a game called uDraw Studio that uses a special drawing tablet: http://www.amazon.com/uDraw-Studio-Game-Tablet-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B003ZTTCBQ

The Aphasian is the loving man (or possibly lady) and is hooking up the wacom tablet for us.

I'd thought about the udraw but wanted something for the pc instead since we have like 5 of them and she likes to draw for hours. Can't be having the big TV taken up all the time. But it is plugged in to a pc so she'll be able to draw on the big screen sometimes.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Something I saw posted here on SA years ago, some reporter lady posted pics of herself smoking a cigarette on her website or myspace or something and it was big news on the internet that the pic shown to the net was just her face but if you looked at the exif thumbnail you could see the pic was a crop of the original where she was topless and titties!

Who was that?

(Friend and I were talking about what's stored in exif for some reason and I told him about this)

edit: And yeah I know there are a million high-res titties available to me with a 20mbit connection but titties I wasn't intended to see are always nice. /creeper

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Dec 9, 2010

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

The Aphasian posted:

It was Cat Schwartz from TechTV.

step 1 GIS
step 2 I am jack's underwhelmed titty appreciation process.

Cool story though.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Have the talking heads songs "and she was" or "stay up late" been in any movies recently? I'm thinking probably 2 different kids movies even though probably neither song is really all that appropriate.

I just remember someone at my house watching something with "and she was" in it and then a few weeks later someone was watching something with "stay up late" and it reminded me of how much I used to like talking heads before all my cds got stolen as a teenager. (I'm about to borrow the box set from a friend)

Google is failing me on both and wikipedia sometimes says if a song's been in a soundtrack but the only thing it's giving me is that stay up late was in "Baby Mama". That definitely didn't play at my house.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Elijya posted:

I don't think the soundtrack listings are totally comprehensive on IMDb, but you can use it to look musicians up and see what films and tv shows their music has been used in. Here's Talking Heads: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0848088/

Looks like "Stay Up Late" was used in Baby Moma and Nim's Island and "And She Was" was used in Bewitched and Look Who's Talking. There may be several more for either of these, as I said I don't think IMDb is totally comprehensive on songs.

Maybe I was mistaken then on what TH song I remember hearing in a kids movie now that I look at the link, it says wild wild life is in open season and that's one of my kids favorite movies. Must be that one that got me thinking about TH.

And we did start to watch "look who's talking" when we saw it on the netflix instant watch thing.

melon cat posted:

All I have is the HDMI cable going into the HDTV from the laptop. Do I need to get an additional cable to "move" the audio from the laptop to the TV?

Every hdmi port I've dealt with on a PC has been video-only. These have been desktops with a separate video card though so it makes sense it wouldn't have audio, never tried on a laptop.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Dec 10, 2010

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
If I'm at work and I hear a person cough or sigh without seeing them (usually if I'm in the shitter-stall and they walk in the bathroom) I can almost all the time tell who it is. And I don't know that I would have necessarily had to have heard them cough or sigh before and chose to remember the sound or something, but I think I can tell just from knowing their voice, it seems like part of their voice carries over to their cough.

Is that what it is? the cough or sigh having to go through the vocal cords and being "imprinted" on by them somewhat the same way they do the person's speaking voice? Or do I have some type of super talent that could be used for good or evil?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Danger Mahoney posted:

I'm looking to exercise my forearms a little while sitting around. I have one of those goofy v-shaped grippers that squeaks incessantly and I can do like eight thousand reps on the thing. Great for a nervous tic, but I know it's not doing me any good.

Can anyone recommend anything worthwhile?

Open palmed wrist curls with a heavy dumbbell where you let it almost roll down your fingertips will get you gorilla forearms.

I used to do this with an olympic bar (and probably some plates, I don't remember. 45s lol) and both arms at the same time, dumbbell is probably harder to control letting it roll down your fingers but I'm sure it can be done, is office friendly and would probably benefit you more than an olympic bar like I used.

edit: reverse wrist curls too.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 16, 2010

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Arriviste posted:

No personal experience with remote monitoring myself, but here's a guide that may help—assuming that you’re using Windows:  IP Cam Remote Access.

In short: you need to
1 set a static internal 192.168...ip on the camera
2 in your router config forward port 80 to that static ip
3 use whatismyip.com or the status page on your router to find out our real internet ip given to you by your isp.

then just do http://yourip from your pc work or wherever and it should go.

2 other things though, 1. your router might have an option to use a dynamic dns service, set this up if it does. Basically you pick a hostname from https://www.dyndns.org or one of the other providers (I use afraid.org) then from work you can browse to http://mynewhostname.ath.cx instead of keeping track of your ISP-given IP. your IP will change periodically and instead of you having to write it down all the time, the router updates your dynamic dns service with your new ip.

and 2. lots of home routers do not allow port forwards from differently numbered external/internal ports. This is no problem for you now but if you wanted to add a second camera it could be.

If your router does allow that you'd want to forward port 80(or whatever) to port 80 of camera 1 and forward port 81(or whatever) to port 80 of camera 2.

If the router doesn't allow that you'll have to hope that the camera 2 allows you to change what port it listens on. If you can change it to 81 or something you just forward 81 on your router to that camera.

edit: and I just saw the post before mine. ISP blocking port 80 on your ip would definitely be a problem too, every isp I've had for the past 10 years has done that.

But if you're lucky and your router allows for mismatched #s in forwards you could forward 3000 from the router to 80 on the camera without having to change the camera config.

If your firmware doesn't allow that and your camera wont let you specify the port you're probably hosed unless you want to learn some ssh-tunneling.

tomato router firmware allows mismatched #s in port forwards and is great in so many other ways too. check and see if you can use it.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Dec 20, 2010

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Why is it said that alarms and sirens "go off"?

It could be your alarm clock your burglar alarm or a siren on a police car down the street but if you were to describe it you'd say it's "going off".

If your phone rings, it's ringing. If you get a text it's notifying/ringing/beeping whatever. If you have the alarm set on your phone to wake you up, even if you're using the same young jeezy ringtone to wake you up that you used as a text notification last week, you'd still say it's going off.

Coming on?

I don't like this term and I don't know why. Maybe if I knew some history (etymology :smug: ) of it I'd be less offended.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

WHEEZY DECK A HALL posted:

Maybe it has something to do with things that startle you being described as "going off," like a firecracker or a grenade?

And I say my phone is "going off," as do a lot of my friends.

It might also be a regional thing, like hoagie/sub/dagwood/gyro or coke/soda/pop.

To me I only seem to hear it in relation to phones for the alarm clock function. I don't think I've heard people say going off referring to a incoming call ring or text ring.

Old people do sometimes say "ringing off the hook" WTF is a hook? (kidding)

It has to be something you set yourself? the alarm? has to be something that was classically the function of an alarm type device? texts and rings don't count since someone else far away made it happen right then rather than you setting it up to happen a long time ago?

also: sub and pop.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
huh interesting, thanks.

"The patriarch and fifty monks..go off into praises of her beauty. "

There it is being used to refer to speech, I'd always heard people say their boss was going to "go off" on them if they came to work drunk and bloodied again or he "went off" on them for doing so. Same 2 words but I guess I never really made the connection that saying the boss going off is related to saying an alarm is going off.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

a computer posted:

In The Matrix, there's a scene where Neo takes a pill and then Morpheus starts showing him poo poo.

I was thinking, is it possible that Neo just tripped really hard?

No way silly, the whole movie is an allegory to the bible with neo as jesus and trinity is pontious and morpheus is the 13th apostle.

Also on the gps vs. phone gps thing. Spend the hundred bux on a standalone. no matter how good a gps app on a phone is you'd need another person to operate it or a windshield mount, never travel outside your coverage area cause your maps will be gone unless you buy garmin smartphone maps (hundred bux right there).

And you still have a chance of being right in the middle of an important turning instruction that gets cut off by your lil jon ringtone when your mom calls.
"in five hundred feet turn TURN AROUND BITCH PUT THAT rear end ON A NIGGA"

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Dec 21, 2010

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

ginch posted:

I was wondering if there was something magical that I could stick on the inside of the glass, and have it transfer electricity (wirelessly, magnetically, whatever it is) to a device on the outside of the glass.

Point this through the window
http://www.harborfreight.com/general-merch/lighting/1000-watt-twin-lamp-halogen-floodlight-66439.html

At this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/45-watt-solar-panel-kit-90599.html

wired to these:
http://www.environmentallights.com/...mpaign=products

I know it's a lot of money but think of it like this, the christmas lights only have a 2 watt draw and has environmental in the website name, think of how green you're being. You own a solar panel now too and that's green as gently caress.

For a serious answer, you could probably find an old but still usable ups gel-cell battery or car battery for cheap that would run that 12v string of led christmas lights in the last link forever.

edit and now that I've put this much time into this post I realize and see that there are actually battery powered lights already built and available for sale but that kinda seems like the pussy way out.
http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Operated-White-Christmas-Lights/dp/B0046Z0UC8/ref=pd_sim_dbs_k_5

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 23, 2010

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

A Violence Gang posted:

1) Why are 9-volt batteries not called by an alphabetic name like the other common types?

If you wanted to learn something else useless today, 9v batteries are true batteries where aaa, aa etc are not. Battery is a group of cells aa, aaa, c etc are single cells themselves. A 9v battery has 6 1.5 v cells inside. (stacks of little watch cells or skinny AAAAs) 12v car battery is 6 2v cells that are just different partitioned chambers of the housing.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 24, 2010

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I'm about to be in a rental Toyota Corolla or Nissan Sentra (*or comparable) for the next couple days according to the enterprise website. What are my chances of having a usb or aux-in in a newish car like this?

edit: if the answer is yes I'll be groovin to some opivy (you're too young) while I'm hittin on 4.

edit again: got a honda civic has the aux in and besides the fact that I cant move the seat back like 1" more (I'm only 5'11, come on guys) this small car hater is pretty drat impressed compared to the last late 90s civic and other little cars I've been in.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Dec 26, 2010

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Is there a real reason charcoal bags always say "never use gasoline to start charcoal"?

I mean I know the preferred way is not using any petroleum products at all, but somehow lighter fluid is ok to big-charcoal? As long as you're letting the coals get glowing red you should have burnt everything off.

And to me, just by smell and feel gasoline seems like a much lighter/thinner and cleaner petroleum product than charcoal starter.

I'm a 1st time gasoline user as of last night. I was using 2 charcoal chimneys and couldn't get my paper-wad to stay lit in either, I couldn't find charcoal starter, so I went for the gas. I didn't put gasoline directly on the charcoal at least, I put like half a shotglass of gas on each paper wad. That got it going real good and within 10 15 minutes all my homemade* hickory lump charcoal was glowing red. Steaks were great, no gas taste at all.

* I get lump charcoal as a waste product out of my propane smoker, hickory goes in to oxygen-deprived environment, gets its essence smoked out into the briskets and sassages and perfect black charcoal comes out for steaks later, how awesome is that?

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Dec 29, 2010

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I always assumed it was just to prevent morons from soaking their grill in gas and blowing themselves up. Lighter fluid comes in much smaller cans.

Yeah that's all I could find googling it was people talking about safety reasons.

"gasoline dangerous! and it will make your food taste like petroleum! soak that poo poo in lighter fluid from the store, wait 3 minutes and soak it again!" :downs:

I'm guessing not everyone starts their charcoal or smoker with leaves raked away, a water-soaked 15' radius of earth, water hose within reach and ready, no wearing of synthetic fibers and actually knowing the safe location of bottles or cans of flammable petroleum stuff before flicking a lighter.

(I mow the lawn in steel toe full height boots, welding apron/mask and do pre-checks of my life insurance policy and beneficiary info on my funds)

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Dec 29, 2010

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

haveblue posted:

I can answer authoritatively from watching Mythbusters that it's because gasoline is far more likely than lighter fluid to produce a gigantic fireball when you throw the match. Gasoline vapor is flammable, lighter fluid is not or is at least much harder to vaporize before lighting.

So as long as you're a mr. safety and know what to expect, and don't have an environment where vapor can "stand" it's sounding like it's perfectly ok? not going to hurt the food so long as you let the coals heat up red all the way?

And now I understand why lighter fluid is a heavier/thicker product than gas, so it wont vaporize like that. I never thought of it in a safety sense. Just thought it was big-charcoal trying to push something cheap and oily on us for several times the price by volume as gasoline.

Still I'd prefer no petroleum involved at all but I was hungry and paper wasn't working on its own this time.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Dec 29, 2010

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

ElwoodCuse posted:

One of these is by far the best way to get a charcoal grill going

I was trying to get 2 of those going but maybe my paper had picked up too much moisture from the air or something or I wadded it too tight or something but I couldn't get either to stay lit. I put a tiny bit of gas onto the paper-wad and it was on.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

good on tv posted:

'Failed to yield to an emergency vehicle' ticket. The ticket was only for $89.49 which isn't my huge concern.

My real concern is I have a clean driving record excluding this. Will this ticket affect my car insurance premium?

Depends on your city/state but my guess would be this will almost surely count against you. The only things that I've known of to not count are non-moving violations. A burnt out light, expired tag/inspection, parking and speeding less than 10mph. That's the only one I know of that involves moving that doesn't count here in OK anyway.

Your rates won't instantly go up though. Your insurance company has to do a search on you for new violations and if they find one it raises your rate when your next policy starts.

They might not do a search before your next renewal (I've heard a lot of companies don't do it every policy renewal) so you might be good for another 6 months after your current expires.

If you can find a new insurance company with a good rate right now before you pay that ticket and are able to cancel your current, I don't think they'd see it and they might wait a year before they do another search too.

Unless you like have a year-long policy you just started.

edit: you might try to go to court too, the worst that will happen is a couple hours lost time and you end up with the same hits to your record you're already expecting. And the best is just with a little talking a judge or ADA they might lower it, failure to yield to an emergency vehicle sounds pretty bad and (in my opinion at least) you're on the very low end of badness of what badness that charge could describe, you really just failed to move left for a stopped one. When I was 17 I got caught leaving 100ft long 245mm black stripes on the ground inside a smoke cloud and just said to the ada something like "someone told me I should come talk to you instead of simply paying this, I don't know what I'm doing or what to say" I got off with paying the full fine but no points.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Dec 31, 2010

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

kapalama posted:

I was posting asking the name of a nerd joke site I had seen linked to from a thread here, and could not find it, but I found something like it so:

http://anti-joke.com/popular/anti-joke

I love this poo poo.

Why did grandpa climb the phone pole with bananas in a backpack?

He has a debilitating disease. He is slowly losing touch with reality.

Yo momma so fat she went on the Subway diet and is now exercising regularly to lose weight.

Why doesn't Michael Jackson play with Macaulay Culkin?

Because he's dead.

What do you call 100 lawyers at the bottom of the ocean?

A horrible boating accident.

Have you seen Stevie Wonder's new house?

No.

Well, it's really nice.

So this guy walks into the doctor's and says "Doctor, it hurts when I poke my leg like this." The doctor says "Yes, you've shattered both your kneecaps. You'll never walk again."

What does an Eagle and a Mole have in common?

They both live underground. Apart from the Eagle.

A man walks into a bar. Except it was a metal bar, like a pole. So he got hurt.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
get oprah hooked on meth and championing it to her fans. Free eight-balls under their seats in the audience.

marry her.

kill her. (I was cutting up an onion officer, she stumbled and fell onto the knife 5 or 6 times)

profit.

spend billions on more meth.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
There's horrible annoying commercials on TV here all the time for 2 local fire/flood restoration companies, at the end they always say they'll "pay up to $1000 of your deductible!"

How do they do that/say that?

I mean if you have damage and you're good buddies with someone who works at the restoration place, he could probably add 1000 to the quote he sends the insurance company but they can't do that for everyone and advertise it, that's some kind of fraud right?

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I'm sitting here bored on a conf call and have been looking at google maps almost ever since he posted that trying to figure it out.

Houston was the 2nd place I looked and I wrote it off for the river and lake not looking right.

I've only been looking at cities big enough to have huge rings of highways like that. I'm going to be pissed if it turns out those cops are looking at just little surface streets around a downtown area that's close to a big pond or reservoir rather than a lake.

Or if it's Houston, I'll just hang my head in shame then.

I hope its not just something made up just because they didn't want a map-maker to sue them under dmca.

edit: VVV I suck. (in my defense we only get 1440x900 monitors at work and its hard to look at more than one thing)VVV

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 18, 2011

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
I tried to add my newish credit card to paypal but it's giving me an error that "card # is in use on another paypal account"

This is probably because my wife has the same card # and beat me to setting it up on paypal.

Is there any easy way around this? paypal making an exception or something?

I prefer to do all my purchasing on that card just for the better protections visa gives, rewards, and it simplifies my bookkeeping time on my bank account by only having to see mortgage, bills and CC payments there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Something that causes this a lot for me at work is if the files have really long names, the total path to them will be really long like:

c:\users\knives and hot dust\my documents\my music\poo poo downloaded from napster 2000\britney spears metallica anthrax christina aguilera eminem -- whoomp there it is - full uncensored unreleased version NaPSTeRgOD.mp3

for some reason windows will let you save them and access/edit them just fine with huge path names but it shits when you try to copy them to another drive or share.

Either the total path where you're copying from might be too big or the total path lenght to where you're copying to is too big.
Probably the first, I can't imagine you're creating huge multilevel directory structures on your backup drive.

What I usually do if that's the case is just move the whole my documents directory to c:\ then copy it to where I want from c:\, after that I move my documents back to where it should be. Might have to even move my music out of my documents to c:\ itself too. (this all might get weird with vista or 7 though)

Also I *think* if you use xcopy from the command line it cares less about total path length than explorer.

If that's not it you might have other problems, some AV programs stop copying cold if you try to copy inf files maybe others besides infs, could be a bad sector on either one of your drives. dunno.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 22, 2011