Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Anybody else having a problem where no imgur pictures show up? The imgur website is accessible, but it seems like my computer isn't recognizing anything at i.imgur.com

edit: Fixed it, changed my DNS servers from the google ones back to the default ones and it fixed it. Weird problem.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Apr 25, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

PlasticPaddy posted:

There was an article posted in LF about how religion (in particular Christianity) is dying out in the West. I never got to read the thing and now I can't find it. Anyone have a link?

Do you have a time frame of when it was posted?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

I think when you deactivate your account it still retains the information.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

http://yooouuutuuube.com/ ?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Human Tornada posted:

In Firefox, what would I have to do to make a website think I've never been there before?

Clear your cache/cookies. But it might go by IP address.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Power of Pecota posted:

Is there any service like ProQuest that would carry 1960s-era articles from the Miami Herald? The Herald has a database on their site, but it only covers 1982-present and the 1910s-20s in the historical part.

That means they likely aren't archived online. Try a library, especially from the Miami area. If it's really important, there's likely a paper or microfiche archive somewhere.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

I tried googling for a while, but I couldn't find anything similar to that.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Farcus posted:

Can someone tell me where I can get a drug screen test and background check? This is for employment purpose. No they do not provide it for you.

Hmm, that's really unusual and doesn't sound right. They want you to pay for and set up your own drug test and background check? Companies like this will conduct a drug screen. I'm not sure about a background check, it would depend on how detailed it needs to be.

edit: Regardless, your prospective employer should be able to point you in the right direction.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 28, 2011

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Get google reader and load up all your favorite blogs. Then you can easily keep track of new posts instead of having to periodically check the blogs yourself.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It may be doable, but do you really want to break a bunch of laws and move across the world to settle down in the US when you can be deported at any minute? It just doesn't seem worth it if there's not a pressing reason to do so.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Pweller posted:

gently caress if I know where closing up your Friends list went since they changed it around, but it has always been there somewhere.

For some reason, it's only available in privacy settings on the mobile website.

Edit: never mind it's on the connecting on facebook tab in privacy settings. My eyes always glance past that part of the main website.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jul 6, 2011

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

I had to do that as well in my last apartment, but it was mentioned in the lease. If it's not in there and you didn't ruin your carpet while you lived there, I'd fight it.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

AlphaDog posted:

As a not-American, I would love to see an ask/tell thread about the American civil war. It's usually covered in a couple of lessons in Aussie schools as "It was complicated but essentially in the USA the North fought the South. The North won and most of the slaves were freed". I would like to know more, but a "school me on the civil war" thread seems like it would be a clusterfuck.

This post reminds me, does anyone have a link to that old A/T thread about what non-US students learned in school?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It can be followed by of, it just isn't necessary depending on how it's used.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Can you screenshot that page? For some reason whatever script that is written in is showing up as random letters on my computer.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

I think it's Malayalam, but that's just a guess.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

I think ATMs almost only work with debit cards, so there's no issue there. Plenty of people use debit cards for day to day stuff, though credit cards are quite common too. Most stores in the US operate exactly like you described they do in your country, they'll ask if you want to use credit or debit. I wouldn't worry about it.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Probably not.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

The login server appears to be down.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

This doesn't seem worth its own thread. How many of you guys send personal emails anymore? Other than for work/school and occasionally to my parents, I've pretty much stopped using it.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Loki777 posted:

Stuff hosted on imgur doesn't load for me anymore, anyone have an idea what the hell is going on? It started happening a few days ago and I'm using Firefox 5.

This happened to me once and for some reason, the solution was to change my DNS server.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

http://www.bathroom-trends.co.uk/acatalog/Toilet_Seats.html posted:

A stylish new toilet seat. A three part toilet seat which enables a comfortable seat for both adults and children.
Great for all the family. lower the mini seat in the lid for childrens use’, lift the large lid for adults.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

I haven't been following it, but the debt ceiling thread in D&D sounds like what you're after.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Seriously, Amazon has great customer service. The last time that happened to me, they sent me another one out no questions asked.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

There's already a QCS thread on it.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Avocadoes posted:

How come job apps specifically ask if you are Hispanic or Latino? I find it odd that they ask for just that. Why not any other group?

I regularly choose yes, but this has been coming up a lot of times. Maybe its just paranoia, but I think I may end up putting "wish not to self identify"..

The answer is right on that page. It varies what they ask for (the last time I remember seeing it it had all the major racial groups), but it's regarding the Equal Employment Opportunity Act requirements. It won't affect whether or not you get hired though.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

jackpot posted:

Why is that every time I go to tv.gawker.com, I see that goddamned "Hear Bill Maher’s Prophetic Words About Charlie Sheen From 2009" link that was posted - near as I can tell - four months ago? It's the same with the other two "top stories" - they're both several months old, too.

This is a fairly popular site with a good design, I can't figure out how something so loving dumb and annoying keeps happening. This just bugs me to no end, it makes no sense.

Their site redesign is awful and I guess "top stories" has to be manually updated or is otherwise broken. You could just go to

http://blog.tv.gawker.com/

but that's not really a solution.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Maybe, maybe not. Ask your PT or doctor. I know you already did, but the point is that everyone is different and recovers at different rates. No one here can tell you. The best policy, beyond asking a professional, is to avoid doing anything that hurts and to not push yourself too hard when dealing with injuries.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Looks to be just a sample, though you can search for everything.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

What databases do you have access to? There's probably at least a couple in proquest.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

What device?

edit: I doubt it though, unless the device has some way to deal with it.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jul 31, 2011

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Just because they don't sweat doesn't mean they can't overheat. I'm not sure how much a fan specifically would help, but their environment should definitely be kept cool.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's not likely, but it is possible depending on how much smoke you were exposed to and what kind of drug test is being done. Have you seen this thread? Might be of some help.

quote:

1.3.1 Passive smoke and positives: "Second hand marijuana smoke in a car can cause you to fail the next day" (Nightbyrd). It is possible that second hand [marijuana] smoke will raise someone to the 50 ng/mL level; however, *extreme* exposure is required. For instance, a closed car full of pot smokers and a non-smoker may render the non-smoker positive for both urinalysis and the hair test, provided that they are sealed in the car for a while. The Army did a case study where volunteers were put in a room pumped full of smoke for an hour, five time daily. Subjects started testing positive after the second day. The non-smoker would have to take in virtually as much second hand smoke as a smoker.

Most drug tests have a cutoff of 50ng of THC metabolites, which is pretty high if you haven't been smoking yourself. But if you're spending a lot of time with someone who is smoking quite often, it seems possible that you'd fail.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

That sounds like a good plan. Also drink plenty of water. I wouldn't worry about it too much, you'll most likely be fine; just be aware that it is possible for you to fail.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Maybe, but not likely. Lab tests are way more sensitive than home kits. As Pweller said, no reason to stress yourself about it at this point.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Grammar/linguistic question, what is an oblique plural?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

That was very helpful, thanks!! If you're familiar with case systems, it's not too complicated, I had just never heard the term 'oblique' used in reference to Arabic before.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

edit: Yeah just read his explanation instead, way clearer.

Xandu fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Aug 4, 2011

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

That's pretty unusual. I've never had that happen and I travel pretty often. It might have to do with wedding/the discount you got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Sheep-Goats posted:

Is there an aggregator site that isn't total poo poo? I'm looking for pics, videos and news -- for meaningful communication obviously I come here. I'm so fed up with the loving reposts, meme bullshit and crybabies on Reddit.

I know this isn't quite what you are looking for, but I've found twitter to be a pretty good aggregator. I follow a couple hundred people that are interesting and end up with tons of good articles and stuff.