Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
One of my friends told me that in Deus Ex, if you shot all the troopers and Men In Black at the 'Ton Hotel you could save Paul and he'd later show up in Hong Kong. What rubbish!

I tried it a couple of years later just for kicks and realised he was telling the truth :aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

Yeah I remember this. Pete said something about how there was something in Fable no one had found yet and that just sent people mental. Given his track record I'd wager it was just a baseless lie though.

They found the big secret he was talking about. If you kill 1019 guards in Oakvale they turn into White Balverines. Yep. :v:

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I remember my friends and I falling for the dumbest hoaxes in Mario 64. One of my friends was absolutely convinced about this rumor that you get into a Cubs game in the game, and Mario would play baseball in there. It had to do with something in the Rainbow Ride level, but I don't remember exactly what it was. I was skeptical at first, but he said he saw a real screenshot of the event. After some failed tries I asked to see the screentshot, and it turned to be ASCII art of Mario wearing a Cubs hat.

But I fell for a different rumor. It was if you stood on the back of the Nessie-like creature in one of the levels for 6 hours, you could unlock Boshi from Super Mario RPG. I was so disappointed when it didn't work. I didn't believe most of those Luigi rumors, but for some reason this Boshi one made sense to me. Though in my defense, Boshi is pretty awesome.

Oh yeah, and there was something else we all tried to get in Mario Kart 64. In one of the Nintendo Power magazines, it showed a Magikoopa character. It must have been from some early build of the game, but me and my friends tried tons of stuff to get him to unlock. Nothing worked though.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

Fruity Tree posted:

I remember that at some point my brother told me that in Ocarina of Time in that last room of the Citadel of Light where you turn into adult/child link, there is a secret entrance to some kind of temple of light. I don't quite know what it was supposed to be, but probably that "room" with all the wise men in it that you get into in a cut scene when you beat a temple.
I searched for it for quite a while and never found it... he told me I had to find a special camera angle in order to see it. I don't know from where he got it, at least I think he didn't just think it up to make fun of me but just read it on some forum.

This makes a lot of sense, actually, not so much a "secret" room, but just that the map for the temple contains the room with the sages in it where you can't get at it, just to save space-it's technically part of one thing, but since it can only be accessed by a trigger, you'd never know it was there.

OoT has a lot of camera bugs where you can look straight through textures if you approach them at the right angle-it's entirely likely that your brother wound up looking straight through the wall and saw that.

Forge_Pharaoh
Jul 4, 2010

DocFrance posted:

I remember the AT-ST code. Didn't you have to do something ridiculous like hold down all the buttons on the controller and then move the joystick around with your nose?

I don't remember how the actual cheat went. It wouldn't surprise me if it was very difficult, although I'm certain at one point I had it memorized. The weird thing about it was that when you switch to the AT-ST, you don't use the control stick to move it, you have to switch to the D-pad. This meant that the first time I did it I was like "AWESOME!! Wait.. is this just ... a cheat to follow the viewpoint of an AT-ST?" After a minute or so, I got it, though.

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames
I remember the San Andreas Bigfoot hoax was one of the creepiest moments in gaming.

I feel like a fool now, but I remember running around in those fairly realistic backwoods areas and constantly shifting the camera around, thinking I caught a glimpse of Bigfoot. I loving felt like he was watching me.

This was years before the fake "Bigfoot hunter" shows: "What was that? Did you hear something? Oh my god, this is SO scary..." :smug:

EDIT: the irony would be that the next time Rockstar did a wide open game based on the countryside, if you sat in one place and looked around every time you spotted something moving, you were probably about to get eaten by a loving mountain lion.

THAT'S an even scarier game.

Isko
May 20, 2008
I remember a while back on the fable 1 forum some guy actually claimed to work for the company and came up with a bunch of riddles which were supposed to lead to some big undiscovered secret. It was actually pretty well done, the riddles were written like how the bards would speak in the game and I even think his forum name was [somethingorother]bard or similar. He even used little known details to make it all more believable, like saying that at a certain time the statue outside the guild would point you towards a secret. It turns out the statue really does slowly turn as time passes which you wouldn't notice unless you were paying attention. Eventually he admitted it was all a hoax.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Playing MGS4 in the first Eastern Europe bit, tailing around a member of the resistance.
I lose track of him and begin searching the area, when around a corner I catch a glimpse of a faceless man looking at me, then disappearing behind the corner. I go running towards where he was, but find no traces. Freaked the hell out of me.
Later found out that it's just an Easter Egg and it's just there for kicks, but gently caress man, that was weird.

Maybe not urban-legendy enough, but still freaky.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Something just reminded me of Bio Force Ape. Someone on a forum somewhere whipped up a fake demo and posted pics that caused the entire forum (and a lot of the internet) to lose its mind. People wanted to believe so bad that they continued buying into every ridiculous screenshot that came out, including the ones that basically outed it as a hoax.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The way you get Gogo in Final Fantasy VI is obscure enough that it sounds like a hoax. (You have to go to some unused island and keep walking around until you fight a certain enemy, and then you have to let it swallow the whole party with its special attack)

I always hated how the Metroid door glitch was described as 'secret worlds'. I kept thinking there was some big area of the game hidden and not just a bunch of glitched out endless hallways.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I would love to play a game which had so many ridiculously convoluted easter eggs for doing random things you were bound to stumble across at least one during any playthrough and never be able to replicate what triggered it.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

The Supreme Court posted:

One of my friends told me that in Deus Ex, if you shot all the troopers and Men In Black at the 'Ton Hotel you could save Paul and he'd later show up in Hong Kong. What rubbish!

I tried it a couple of years later just for kicks and realised he was telling the truth :aaaaa:

Actually, the secret to it is to just not leave by the fire escape. You can run out into the MIB, get shot up while doing nothing and wake up in jail and Paul will still be alive - all that matters is that you don't try to escape the way he tells you to.

Cumsquid
Sep 30, 2005

~Spicy Gaming~

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

Something just reminded me of Bio Force Ape. Someone on a forum somewhere whipped up a fake demo and posted pics that caused the entire forum (and a lot of the internet) to lose its mind. People wanted to believe so bad that they continued buying into every ridiculous screenshot that came out, including the ones that basically outed it as a hoax.

Bio Force Ape is real, its incomplete but does a few cool things for a nes game, particularly in regard to how smooth the movement is. Still not as cool as the hoaxes and fakes would have you believe.

apparently game website 1up.com bought the only known copy for a bunch of money http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/29031

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Three Red Lights posted:

I would love to play a game which had so many ridiculously convoluted easter eggs for doing random things you were bound to stumble across at least one during any playthrough and never be able to replicate what triggered it.

Yume Nikki is a whole lot of this. The game is pretty much made of completely loving random easter eggs designed to creep the hell out of you. The video of someone making "Uboa" appear was actually what got the game its' bit of popularity, which requires you to wander around a completely pointless and hard to navigate area until you find a little house with a girl in it, and keep flicking the lights on and off until you trigger something like a 1 in 200 chance that the room will suddenly start shaking violently and the girl will turn into a demonic face-thing that sends you off to what could only be described as hell if you touch it.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

miscellaneous14 posted:

Yume Nikki is a whole lot of this. The game is pretty much made of completely loving random easter eggs designed to creep the hell out of you. The video of someone making "Uboa" appear was actually what got the game its' bit of popularity, which requires you to wander around a completely pointless and hard to navigate area until you find a little house with a girl in it, and keep flicking the lights on and off until you trigger something like a 1 in 200 chance that the room will suddenly start shaking violently and the girl will turn into a demonic face-thing that sends you off to what could only be described as hell if you touch it.

This is basically all I've ever wanted from a horror game. I must play this right now.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

miscellaneous14 posted:

It's one of the things that irritates me about Yume Nikki, because it is such a perfect jump scare, and it has such a small chance of occurring. Unless you already know it's there and are actively trying to get it, you'll never see it. And since it's the game's worst-kept secret, I doubt it'll surprise anybody again. A wasted opportunity.

But in a sense, I guess that's what makes it appropriate as a "creepy urban legend" type of scare—it's rare enough to have a mythical quality to it.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 1, 2010

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

Rollersnake posted:

It's one of the things that irritates me about Yume Nikki, because it is such a perfect jump scare, and it has such a small chance of occurring. Unless you already know it's there and are actively trying to get it, you'll never see it. And since it's the game's worst-kept secret, I doubt it'll surprise anybody again. A wasted opportunity.

Well I wouldn't have known it was a jump scare if you didn't just tell me it was, jerk. Still looking forward to seeing what happens when I get to it though.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Clever Spambot posted:

Well I wouldn't have known it was a jump scare if you didn't just tell me it was, jerk. Still looking forward to seeing what happens when I get to it though.

Sorry. But seriously, from the context around the spoiler, how could you think it's anything other than a jump scare?

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Here's another great one that you'd absolutely swear is a hoax up down if you possessed even an ounce of common sense, but it actually ended up bein completely legit. Getting the Mana Sword permanently in Secret of Mana. Seriously now, saving at one specific neko in Ice Country? Starting a brand new game and rushing to die on the very first boss? Actually resetting the console? It blew my mind when I actually completed it myself. The RAM of that SNES cartridge was really hosed up by all the stripping and content cuts they made.

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Sep 1, 2010

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Just go play Yume Nikki right now, all of you.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

TACD posted:

(Who else discovered that trick in Link's Awakening by accident? That was a crazy find.)

I wasted hours with this as a kid. I thought I was the only one. It was really creepy at the time, but then again I didn't really understand how games were made.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

In the beginner area of the original Guild Wars campaign (referred to as "Pre-Searing"), new characters can encounter a little girl named Gwen who will follow you around and generally just be :3: as hell (she also gives you a Tapestry Shred, which had no known use at the time). She disappears after the Searing, but her possessions could be found scattered around the game world, leading to all sorts of speculation about her fate and whereabouts.

Eventually she turned up alive and well (albeit emo-fied) in the Eye of the North expansion, and the items were used to start special quests.

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

It cost me an arm and a leg to get into this club!

Rollersnake posted:

But in a sense, I guess that's what makes it appropriate as a "creepy urban legend" type of scare—it's rare enough to have a mythical quality to it.

I pretty much heard about it before I played the game, so the suspense is completely ruined. When I play the game I'm purposely going to hit the trigger until it happens.

Also, this video ruined any chance Uboa ever had of being scary to me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Upe3Tqh2iHk

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Bro and Maplehoof: Go beyond the impossible!
:kamina:
I had a legit Mew in Pokemon Red. Got it at a promotional event at Toys 'R' Us. They just traded you (I remember catching and trading a magikarp) for it. :c00l:

bengraven posted:

I remember the San Andreas Bigfoot hoax was one of the creepiest moments in gaming.

I feel like a fool now, but I remember running around in those fairly realistic backwoods areas and constantly shifting the camera around, thinking I caught a glimpse of Bigfoot. I loving felt like he was watching me.

This was years before the fake "Bigfoot hunter" shows: "What was that? Did you hear something? Oh my god, this is SO scary..." :smug:

EDIT: the irony would be that the next time Rockstar did a wide open game based on the countryside, if you sat in one place and looked around every time you spotted something moving, you were probably about to get eaten by a loving mountain lion.

THAT'S an even scarier game.

Or endless waves of god drat bears. I killed more than 50 loving bears, not counting the numerous times I died in epic combat against the hirsute menace before I could save.

The bigfoot in San Andreas rumor was fueled or started by Bigfoot being thanked in the credits. If I remember right it was referring to the monster truck. The game would also spawn driverless cars in the woods and occasionally planes would crash around you randomly, the noise from this was pretty freaky.

That Rough Beast
Apr 5, 2006
One day at a time...
There was a rumor in either GTA 3 or Vice City that there was a "ghost" roaming around. This one is fairly unbelievable, but I did encounter it once. I was running around and suddenly wound up in a fistfight with an NPC that was invisible and left bloody footprints. It wound up beating me to death because I was goggling at it.

Please note that I don't think this is an actual coded ghost or anything, and poo poo, this was a long time back so it's possible the details are off in my memory, but I always guessed this was just a graphical glitch that a couple of people got and blew out of proportion.

Neathervile
Jan 1, 2004

Anyone interested in Yume Nikki should also look into Neftelia. It's got the same kind of "surreal dreamscape" vibe going on, except Neftelia seems vaguely... post-apocalyptic? Anyway, I watched this LP of it a while ago, and as far as I can tell it shows off quite a bit of what you can do, but people are still probing for new things. There's also a sequel/remake/something, but I didn't know about it until just now. If you enjoy exploration in video games, or simply like blazing trails untrodden, have a look.

Edit #2 because this game is more of an rear end than I thought: Here's a version that will more than likely work out of the zip if the one above does not. Also, the LPer has a video showing how to use AppLocale (about halfway through) so you don't crash when you find one of the videos (which I just did). In addition, he goes over a manual installation of the game in the beginning. Is it worth it? I don't know!

Neathervile fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Sep 1, 2010

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Indeed I would like to play that, but I cannot figure out how to download it from that Japanese page. It seems I only downloaded the patch. Could you post a direct link to it?

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I remember my friends and I falling for the dumbest hoaxes in Mario 64. One of my friends was absolutely convinced about this rumor that you get into a Cubs game in the game, and Mario would play baseball in there. It had to do with something in the Rainbow Ride level, but I don't remember exactly what it was. I was skeptical at first, but he said he saw a real screenshot of the event. After some failed tries I asked to see the screentshot, and it turned to be ASCII art of Mario wearing a Cubs hat.

But I fell for a different rumor. It was if you stood on the back of the Nessie-like creature in one of the levels for 6 hours, you could unlock Boshi from Super Mario RPG. I was so disappointed when it didn't work. I didn't believe most of those Luigi rumors, but for some reason this Boshi one made sense to me. Though in my defense, Boshi is pretty awesome.

Oh yeah, and there was something else we all tried to get in Mario Kart 64. In one of the Nintendo Power magazines, it showed a Magikoopa character. It must have been from some early build of the game, but me and my friends tried tons of stuff to get him to unlock. Nothing worked though.

Magikoopa was scrapped and replaced with DK, so you'd be right.

Speaking of Mario Kart 64, there seems to be an entire community built around the idea that there is a hidden character named "Marty". Marty is the caged Thwomp in the Bowser Castle stage, and apparently if you do stupid stuff nobody playing the game would ever do intentionally, the cage will open and you will unlock him as a playable character. Here is a video of somebody unlocking the cage:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9pKU9vyhRA

Its total bullshit probably, because if they wanted to prove his existence they would actually make a video of someone playing as him. Still to this day whenever Mario Kart 64 gets mentioned on a forum somebody starts talking about him.

If he does in fact exist, its probably the result of some ROM hacking.

While we are on the subject of N64 games, Super Smash Bros was one that spawned a lot of bullshit between my very young friends and I. Mainly, who the hell the hidden character in the top left of the character select screen was. In my group of friends, virtually nobody knew who Captain Falcon was, and many of us thought Samus was a robot because we had never played or heard of Metroid before (I later rectified this by becoming a huge fan of the games, don't worry!) In other words, we basically weren't very familiar with are Nintendo franchises besides the super popular ones like Mario/Zelda/Pokemon. Eventually, we managed to unlock Falcon, Jigglypuff, and Luigi, but we were completely clueless as to who the fourth character was.

The popular schoolyard rumor was that it was Metal Mario, and the conditions to unlock him were, as always, completely ridiculous. Of course, in time, somebody showed us a gaming magazine that showed it was Ness, and how to unlock him.

At that age I still had no idea who this Ness guy was. To be fair, I had never owned a SNES and at the time he was only in one game that was released in the US, which wasn't exactly a household name like Mario or Zelda. So basically to us C. Falcon and Ness were weird rear end characters we had never heard of or seen.

SpaceBees fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Sep 1, 2010

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Neathervile posted:

Edit: Whoops, here's the original version of Neftelia, as the page link up there only has the patch. Also, people have complained about crashing on XP if you don't have Japanese language support installed, though it ran straight out of the zip for me without installing anything.

**Nevermind, I found a better download link myself:
http://music.geocities.jp/kouhaku03_10/023.html

Also you have to copy RPG_RT.exe from some other RM2k3 game like Yume Nikki to even get this to run for some retarded reason.

Mercury_Storm fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Sep 1, 2010

Neathervile
Jan 1, 2004

Also, try this link too for a version compiled by someone who watched the LP, and this video for info on AppLocale and "work, god damnit" basics. Don't you see? Getting the game and making it run is the first puzzle! :unsmigghh:

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs

AA is for Quitters posted:

OoT has a lot of camera bugs where you can look straight through textures if you approach them at the right angle-it's entirely likely that your brother wound up looking straight through the wall and saw that.

One that actually works for OoT is where you fight Ganon at the end, let him knock away your sword, save, then reset. When you come back in you still don't have the sword. Somehow this means you can use the hookshot on the horse and it results in some pretty odd bugs, such as flying off past the edge of some maps and such. It could help in dispelling any rumors about things beyond certain walls.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

Panzerschwein posted:

One that actually works for OoT is where you fight Ganon at the end, let him knock away your sword, save, then reset. When you come back in you still don't have the sword. Somehow this means you can use the hookshot on the horse and it results in some pretty odd bugs, such as flying off past the edge of some maps and such. It could help in dispelling any rumors about things beyond certain walls.

I hear tell they removed that bug in later versions of the game (as well as changing Ganondorf's blood from red to green, and removing some Muslim call to prayer that was used in the background music).

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

This isn't a hoax, and its not really an easter egg either, but since everyone keeps bringing up Ocarina of Time I'll post it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCig_h5pBLU

A soldier that's been fatally injured by Ganondorf and his men in the back alley of Castle Town. Its a pretty sad scene, but most players never see it because they book it for Hyrule Field as soon after they enter the Temple of Time for the first time.

This is in all versions of the game.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
There's apparently a secret in Mega Man 9 that nobody's discovered yet. Even though people have been searching for years. Backstory.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Three Red Lights posted:

That's called Kingdom of Loathing.

Kabraxis
Mar 22, 2003

Well I guess it's lucky for me I'm not unarmed. Seeing as I'm....eating your beans.
The only rumor I remember hearing as a kid was that in Ocarina of Time you could thaw out Zora's Domain as adult Link. I'm sure it's fake. As a kid though, the thought that I could talk to all the Zoras as adult Link blew my mind.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
Chrono Trigger

You can unlock Schala as a character after you beat Lavos 3 times and then talk to some dude 1000 times. I don't know why I bought into that poo poo.

Final Fantasy VI

Much like reviving Aerith, people thought you could revive General Leo after he bit it.

Nintendo is, hands down the king of this though:

LoZ: OoT

You can get the triforce if you bomb all of the eyestones.

Pokemon Red/Blue

Too many to loving count.

Every other Nintendo game I can think of

You can have Samus naked if you enter Justin Bailey as your name.
You can unlock Goku in super smash bros if you finish very hard Single player with only using the B button.
You can unlock Ganondorf in SSB. (true later in SSBM obviously)
There's more poo poo to list and I can't remember it all.

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

The original Bio Force Ape hoax was just a series of fake screenshots that got progressively more insane. The video you linked is actually from a homebrew version of the game that the hoaxers later started making, complete with its own packaging.

It got pretty far along, but they haven't said much about it since the real Bio Force Ape surfaced.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Just to elaborate on some of the Fable 1 stuff: The Sandgoose thing was huge, especially on gamefaqs. The Oracle, at one point in the game, says "Many strange creatures have walked upon this world since its birth, yet the historians who found some of their remains are responsible for one which never existed: the fabled Sandgoose. Joining the remains of various beasts, they hypothesized that this flightless bird was the size of a house, lived primarily in deserts and was able to speak a variety of languages. There are those who still believe in its existence, but their search has proved fruitless so far."

The entire thing was a joke about how paleontologists used to just throw whatever dinosaur bones they found together into species that had never actually existed. But people took it seriously.

There were also rumors of a hidden island, that turned out to be true, as it was in the code but not finished, and you had to hack to get there. The rumors of what happened when you got there were all fake though. There was no dragon fight, or sandgoose, or anything. Just an unfinished island where you would fall through the ground in a lot of spots. They later added it all back in with Lost Chapters.

EDIT: By the way, in case you didn't know, Gametrailers recently started a series called Pop Fiction that looks at rumors and myths like these: http://www.gametrailers.com/game/pop-fiction/13123

Vince MechMahon fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Sep 1, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

Just to elaborate on some of the Fable 1 stuff: The Sandgoose thing was huge, especially on gamefaqs. The Oracle, at one point in the game, says "Many strange creatures have walked upon this world since its birth, yet the historians who found some of their remains are responsible for one which never existed: the fabled Sandgoose. Joining the remains of various beasts, they hypothesized that this flightless bird was the size of a house, lived primarily in deserts and was able to speak a variety of languages. There are those who still believe in its existence, but their search has proved fruitless so far."

The entire thing was a joke about how paleontologists used to just throw whatever dinosaur bones they found together into species that had never actually existed. But people took it seriously.

Is that an exact quote? Because you'd have to be pretty stupid to think it was actually in the game with that wording.