Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Wow, guess her kokoro wish came true

Boppin is actually a pretty decent game; I was quite disappointed to find out that it was produced by a crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
There was a neat article up on Kotaku today about some "Deep Web" horror game that sounds kind of creepy but kind of made up, like most internet creepypastas: http://kotaku.com/a-horror-game-hidden-in-the-darkest-corners-of-the-inte-1714980337

Still, it's a fun read.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

The first video just shows a distorted game of walking in a hallway while someone plays the Swedish Rhapsody numbers station backwards, which is pretty bog standard in terms of "I am making a creepy thing." I suspect if it were found on GameJolt or something instead of the Deep Web, it wouldn't have aroused any interest whatsoever.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Levantine posted:

There was a neat article up on Kotaku today about some "Deep Web" horror game that sounds kind of creepy but kind of made up, like most internet creepypastas: http://kotaku.com/a-horror-game-hidden-in-the-darkest-corners-of-the-inte-1714980337

Still, it's a fun read.

A very fun read but very very very obviously a fake of some kind. They say it in the article, any game design student could fart out that footage in 20 minutes. It's a good fart though.

vannevar
Jan 27, 2013

The war goes on.
I was surprised to see nobody had brought The Uncle Who Works For Nintendo to this thread's attention, since it's at least as germane to this discussion as the video game creepypastas that regulars here have created. It's a visual novel sort of game that has a fair bit to do with all those weird Pokémon rumors and insider tips everyone's uncles seemed to have for them.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

vannevar posted:

I was surprised to see nobody had brought The Uncle Who Works For Nintendo to this thread's attention, since it's at least as germane to this discussion as the video game creepypastas that regulars here have created. It's a visual novel sort of game that has a fair bit to do with all those weird Pokémon rumors and insider tips everyone's uncles seemed to have for them.

This game is pretty cool, and the creator's notes are very interesting.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

vannevar posted:

Holy poo poo, while this wasn't as scary as it probably was meant to be, this is a brilliant piece of work. I love everything about it.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
I played through it a while ago once but didn't have the patience to figure out all the alternate endings. Are there any step-by-step guides for how to get them all?

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011

President Ark posted:

I played through it a while ago once but didn't have the patience to figure out all the alternate endings. Are there any step-by-step guides for how to get them all?

I literally just googled it and hit the second one.

http://overmental.com/content/how-to-get-all-6-endings-for-the-uncle-who-works-for-nintendo-361

That said it's not entirely too obtuse/hard to figure out. I only had to get some help for the sixth ending.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

vannevar posted:

Hoooooooooly gently caress, this is really good

EDIT: I don't get what the game about the guy at the party not visible from the mouth up is a reference to though. (Just keep watching the friend play games) I feel like there are some creepypasta/urban legend references flying over my head here

EDIT 2: Oh, it's a reference to one of his other Twine games

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 15, 2015

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

vannevar posted:

Good work with Twine, didn't think you could do that much with it.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts
To bring this thread back to its roots of 'game that you can't play again after you lose,' have you guys heard about The Flock?

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Just recently in fact. I feel like the more of these 'playing the game is destructive' games I see (Glitchhiker, Lose/Lose) the less impressed I am with the concept. As far as I'm concerned, all it actually adds for this game is a burst of publicity when journos get a hold of the press release.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
cool, i didn't want to play the game in the first place, and now i won't be able to. amazing how that works out

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
I'm going to cut out the middleman and make an MMO where the servers are never online. I can see the Kotaku article now...

"You can play a lot of MMOs, but an MMO you can't play? Now you have our attention!"

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
All it takes is two assholes with a ton of free time on their hands, one with the prism hiding and one constantly suiciding into him as a Flock member, to shut the game off for good.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

The Bee posted:

All it takes is two assholes with a ton of free time on their hands, one with the prism hiding and one constantly suiciding into him as a Flock member, to shut the game off for good.

This was my first thought, and it's going to be hilarious because either the people in charge won't do anything about it and the game will end in a matter of days, or it will become a perpetual banning arms race to keep the deathrate low.

Like, mass suiciding is going to be the first thing anyone jumping into this game thinks about. There's no way this doesn't happen.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That's almost certainly what will happen unless there's some kind of mechanism to prevent it. There's also no way they're going to be able to bugfix patches without pissing off people because 1) giving more lives to make up for bugs goes against what players bought into, or 2) NOT giving more lives to make up for bugs is unfair cheating, and 3) the whole thing will be over before they can develop a fix.

There's no way they'll be ready for the endgame event. I almost want to buy in just to watch it wreck in real-time, but I wonder if that's the draw...

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Rocketlex posted:

This was my first thought, and it's going to be hilarious because either the people in charge won't do anything about it and the game will end in a matter of days, or it will become a perpetual banning arms race to keep the deathrate low.

Like, mass suiciding is going to be the first thing anyone jumping into this game thinks about. There's no way this doesn't happen.

Maybe then we'll get prism-holders who try as hard as they can to avoid killing people, creating a weird role-reversal where everyone is doing their drat best to avoid playing the game in order to counteract everyone trying to end it, and the devs will laugh and say that's the point all along.

Or maybe the death counter will be super long, and by the time it gets low enough for the game's gimmick to come into play people will have just stopped caring. I dunno. It could be an interesting concept but there's a titanic amount of things that can go wrong.

e: Maybe this is a way to have their cake and eat it too. Make an experimental multiplayer game on a short budget, and then have the servers go down in a timely, inexpensive fashion.

The Bee fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jul 19, 2015

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
There was a flash game with the concept of being unwinnable for you but possibly finishable for a future player. It wasa. side scroller, and when you died you became a stone. The idea would be for players to work together to build themselves into a path for the future.

Instead a large crowd purposely formed their corpses into a wall and made the game forever unifnishable on purpose.

I predict there's going to be a lemming rush to make this game unbuyable as quickly as possible because that's more fun than playing by the deva stupid rules.

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jul 19, 2015

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
I can not forsee how this is going to work out well for them*

A. The game turns out to be mediocre enough that the playerbase quits before the timer is up, which will most likely be accelerated because of all the resources being put into the endgame event instead of gameplay.

B. The game turns out to be actually good and is popular when the timer is up, at which point the devs will slam the door in the collective faces of everybody who had been their fans up until that moment.

*unless the plan is to get a bunch of money from hipsters buying something ~exclusive~, some more money from trolls buying it to grief the aforementioned and abandoning the project immediately.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
I don't see how that's any different that like any other multiplayer game out there now. They all have shelf lives, I can't go and boot up something like Prey or UT3 and have a good time, and even games like Mercenaries 2 (on PS3, maybe more) are completely broken and will crash your system if you're connected online while trying to play thanks to EA servers being offline. Not even counting MMOs, I'd love to have another crack at SW:G before the end/Jedi update.

These guys are just up front that it has an end date, and the gameplay itself does look neat (mainly the statue duplication thing you can do). Isn't this what this thread is kinda about? Games that stop working! Creepy stuff in the game! Terrible graphics! Blast-processed skeletons (which, if you watch the Flock video, it looks like it has)!

President Ark
May 16, 2010

The Gasmask posted:

I don't see how that's any different that like any other multiplayer game out there now. They all have shelf lives, I can't go and boot up something like Prey or UT3 and have a good time, and even games like Mercenaries 2 (on PS3, maybe more) are completely broken and will crash your system if you're connected online while trying to play thanks to EA servers being offline. Not even counting MMOs, I'd love to have another crack at SW:G before the end/Jedi update.

These guys are just up front that it has an end date, and the gameplay itself does look neat (mainly the statue duplication thing you can do). Isn't this what this thread is kinda about? Games that stop working! Creepy stuff in the game! Terrible graphics! Blast-processed skeletons (which, if you watch the Flock video, it looks like it has)!

The issue is that for any possible mechanic in a game there's going to be someone out there who wants to exploit it for whatever reason. By explicitly attaching a mechanic to when the game ends, they're guaranteeing that there are going to be people who try and force that to happen as soon as possible.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

President Ark posted:

The issue is that for any possible mechanic in a game there's going to be someone out there who wants to exploit it for whatever reason. By explicitly attaching a mechanic to when the game ends, they're guaranteeing that there are going to be people who try and force that to happen as soon as possible.

I guess I don't see that as a problem, since lets face it, games are fun as hell to break. If it turns out someone can just change a variable the game sends to the server and instantly end it, then yeah, that's kind of annoying I guess? But poo poo, that kinda stuff happens with tons of games and is on the devs to prepare for. If it turns out like the stacking of deaths to block off the path like in the unnamed platformer a few posts up, that's just funny and I'd love to be a part of it.

E: thinking about the platformer more, that's gotta be one of the easiest things to predict will happen, and you know the developer was kicking themselves once they caught on.

Tl;dr - gamers are assholes and devs should know this by now.

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jul 19, 2015

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

The Gasmask posted:

I guess I don't see that as a problem, since lets face it, games are fun as hell to break. If it turns out someone can just change a variable the game sends to the server and instantly end it, then yeah, that's kind of annoying I guess? But poo poo, that kinda stuff happens with tons of games and is on the devs to prepare for. If it turns out like the stacking of deaths to block off the path like in the unnamed platformer a few posts up, that's just funny and I'd love to be a part of it.

E: thinking about the platformer more, that's gotta be one of the easiest things to predict will happen, and you know the developer was kicking themselves once they caught on.

Tl;dr - gamers are assholes and devs should know this by now.

That's a flash game, and this is a purchasable product that explicitly bricks itself.

You're right in that all games expire, but the presentation is important. Think phones. New versions being released and old ones gradually being unsupported by apps and OS updates means your phone will eventually become a laggy, unusable mess, but that's more an expectation about the march of technology than anything. Besides, you can still use them for one intended purpose (phone calls for phones, playing offline for games) most likely. The Flock would be like if your phone had a text countdown, and every time someone texted it cheerfully reminded you that your phone was a day closer to shutting down. You wouldn't even get to use it for its offline purposes like calling or texting people, either, because The Flock is online only.

Okay, analogy went off the rails, but I think you see what I mean.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

This is all of course assuming that the devs didn't spend literally 30 seconds thinking about a way to prevent people from screwing with the countdown like that.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

This is all of course assuming that the devs didn't spend literally 30 seconds thinking about a way to prevent people from screwing with the countdown like that.

How do you differentiate people who deliberately feed themselves to the one dude from people who are just bad at the game?

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Just off the top of my head, rounds might end after a certain number of deaths, it might only count after a certain point of time after the devs have decided everyone has already bought it, I dunno, the game isn't out yet!

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's going to be released and no one will care after like two days and eventually it will die or whatever stupid poo poo to no fanfare whatsoever, which is what happens any time someone pulls a dumb stunt like this

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
but what's inside the cube

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

The last player who dies gets control of Godus: HD.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Acne Rain posted:

There was a flash game with the concept of being unwinnable for you but possibly finishable for a future player. It wasa. side scroller, and when you died you became a stone. The idea would be for players to work together to build themselves into a path for the future.

Instead a large crowd purposely formed their corpses into a wall and made the game forever unifnishable on purpose.

I predict there's going to be a lemming rush to make this game unbuyable as quickly as possible because that's more fun than playing by the deva stupid rules.

Is this actually a real thing, and if yes, do you know its name? Sounds neat.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I guess my big question about the game is, when does it deduct lives from the counter? I would assume when someone spawns each time, but then the game will never end as long as one person is alive. That would seem rather lovely if it was deducted when someone dies, because you could have several hundred people playing then being told "oops, someone died. Good game everyone, thanks for giving us your money playing our game!"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Suspicious Dish posted:

A beta key for Half-Life 3. My uncle at Valve told me.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Valentin posted:

Is this actually a real thing, and if yes, do you know its name? Sounds neat.

It was real but its been some years, I don't remember what its name was any more.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

TwoPair posted:

A beta key for Half-Life 3. My uncle at Valve told me.

Your uncle is coming for dinner tonight.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
If anyone's in the mood for a weird game that plays like it's the portent of some horrible ghost curse, I recommend Strawberry Cubes

This kind of thing is extremely my jam. I have no idea what's happening and I love it.

Honest Davion
Jul 25, 2006
I buy Joel Nerf Guns

Rocketlex posted:

If anyone's in the mood for a weird game that plays like it's the portent of some horrible ghost curse, I recommend Strawberry Cubes

Think I'm making some good 'progress' and everything is getting extremely messed up. Lots of things replacing things and bit of walls missing.

I pressed a button and now I'm a bird person. I've collected 21 'things.'

Sort of a tip, and not sure you can do this from the start but, pressing J makes copies of yourself, always from a specific place, that move as you do. This is helpful in two ways, as sometimes they're in a place you can't get to and walking off screen as one makes them the new 'you.' Secondly, they all have collision with each other so they can force each other through and inside the game's walls, floor and ceilings if there's a corner.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

Honest Davion posted:

Think I'm making some good 'progress' and everything is getting extremely messed up. Lots of things replacing things and bit of walls missing.

I pressed a button and now I'm a bird person. I've collected 21 'things.'

Sort of a tip, and not sure you can do this from the start but, pressing J makes copies of yourself, always from a specific place, that move as you do. This is helpful in two ways, as sometimes they're in a place you can't get to and walking off screen as one makes them the new 'you.' Secondly, they all have collision with each other so they can force each other through and inside the game's walls, floor and ceilings if there's a corner.

The readme suggests you earn this power at some point. I think you get it when you enter the room that says "Someone New." Yeah, I didn't notice I'd picked up this power either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Rocketlex posted:

The readme suggests you earn this power at some point. I think you get it when you enter the room that says "Someone New." Yeah, I didn't notice I'd picked up this power either.

I just downloaded it and you can do the copy thing right from the beginning.