Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

That Tetris story... :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
The spiritual successor to Pop Fiction aired yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAQv-H-lqEg

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
In a double event for today, the Youtube creator Night Mind, who does retrospective-ish things on creepypasta ARGs did a video on Ben Drowned tonight, covering that whole insane ARG that started after the main creepypasta as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJlqY1O4B00

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
Wow, Ben Drowned sure went kinda off the wall quickly, didn't it?

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

someone with time to watch, please confirm whether or not that video addresses this entry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=473G80r1T_w

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Jsor posted:

In a double event for today, the Youtube creator Night Mind, who does retrospective-ish things on creepypasta ARGs did a video on Ben Drowned tonight, covering that whole insane ARG that started after the main creepypasta as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJlqY1O4B00

I don't know why this narrator chose to speak with the cadence of Mitch Hedberg but I appreciate it

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

someone with time to watch, please confirm whether or not that video addresses this entry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=473G80r1T_w

At the end he briefly mentions it's an April Fools video.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Not a hoax really but interesting game stuff, Spyro year of the dragon had some really intelligent copy protection.

quote:

This game is unique in that it has a LOT of anti-crack "booby traps", checking for alterations to the game alongside the existing copy-protection. One wrong bit and the trap is triggered. This deliberately made cracking the game a real pain!

Once the trap has been triggered, all sorts of weird things will happen. Zoe will politely inform you that your game is hacked early on in the game. Random eggs and gems in levels other than the one you're in are removed to render the game unwinnable. The game deliberately crashes in odd and confusing ways. The language in the European version changes randomly... all sorts of "fun" things to make pirates pull their hair out!

And here is a fantastic article by one of the devs explaining what they did.

quote:

Thus we wanted to make the job of cracking YOTD time-consuming and tedious. If we could just keep the crackers busy at finding the protection, that's time taken away from them working out how to remove it. Again, we were trying to reduce the pool of people available who could crack the game. Not every cracker would have enough time available to make the crack; it probably isn't anyone's day job. On this note, it's worth pointing out that for most crackers this is a hobby. If they get bored, they may well give up. We tried to make the crackers have to wade through plenty of chaff before finding the protection. There were a couple of techniques we tried to achieve this.

First of all, if the crackers know what they are looking for, they often don't even have to boot up the game to find the protection. They can simply search the disk and sometimes even edit the protection right there and then. Simply doing an XOR of as much of YOTD's code as possible before burning it to the CD means that this technique will not work. It also makes it difficult to match up data in memory with its source on the disk. We worked under the assumption that code can't be modified if it can't be found.

Second, we made it as difficult as possible to debug. If you've ever had to debug code that behaves differently when you trace through it, you know how much of a pain debugging can be. We used trace traps to make the code behave differently if breakpoints had been placed. The checksum helped with this, as any software breakpoints used would alter the checksum. Rebooting the debugger and the game takes time, and the more often we could force the cracker to do this, the more of their time we were wasting.

Perversely, though, the harder a crack is to make, the more fun it is for the cracker to make it. It's a challenge, and therefore fun. Paradox, the cracking group who produced the working patch for YOTD, even thanked the "Sony coders" who added such interesting protection to the game. The more difficult the crack, the more effort they will put into making it.

It's the same with the length of time it takes to produce. The longer that the game has been out without a crack, the more prestige there is in being the first to produce one. Again, this means more effort will be put into producing it.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

So, remember that weird sign at California Speed? The one that talked about killing mommies and puppies. Mystery was solved recently. It was meant as a placeholder texture so that it clearly told the publishers that this wasn't a finished copy, meant to be sent.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Sounds about right: something that in reality is fairly innocuous is turned into A GIANT THING by internet dorks with nothing better to do. Internet dorks are then summarily disappointed when the truth comes out.

Edit: Jesus, basically all of the image posts in /r/creepygaming's imgur (the article links it) are... not at all creepy. Oh no, inside of a TF2 head. Oh no, models T-posing. So scary :geno:

Nerds are so loving dumb.

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!

Kunster posted:

So, remember that weird sign at California Speed? The one that talked about killing mommies and puppies. Mystery was solved recently. It was meant as a placeholder texture so that it clearly told the publishers that this wasn't a finished copy, meant to be sent.

It doesn't make it THAT much less weird. It's a hell of a thing for a dev to think of as a "placeholder texture." If I had to make one it'd be colorful as hell and have transparencies and other things that could break the game, to make sure it's remembered.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
Was there really people creeped out by that billboard? I always thought it was just generic angst that you'd find on a Hot Topic t-shirt in the style of "DON'T PISS ME OFF OTHERWISE I'LL SEND MY MULTIPLE PERSONALITIES AFTER YOU"

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
He was probably lacking sleep or something at the time but I'm not sure you want to insert something that literally breaks the game, even if you could make a texture that does.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

spongeh posted:

Was there really people creeped out by that billboard? I always thought it was just generic angst that you'd find on a Hot Topic t-shirt in the style of "DON'T PISS ME OFF OTHERWISE I'LL SEND MY MULTIPLE PERSONALITIES AFTER YOU"

It's mostly the context of it being some blink-and-you'll-miss-it thing in an otherwise colorful family-friendly game, like the skybox ghosts in Mario Galaxy 2. If it was written on a wall in L4D or a diary entry in Resident Evil it would be goofy and harmless.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Dick Burglar posted:

Sounds about right: something that in reality is fairly innocuous is turned into A GIANT THING by internet dorks with nothing better to do. Internet dorks are then summarily disappointed when the truth comes out.

Edit: Jesus, basically all of the image posts in /r/creepygaming's imgur (the article links it) are... not at all creepy. Oh no, inside of a TF2 head. Oh no, models T-posing. So scary :geno:

Nerds are so loving dumb.

take it easy buddy

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Buca di Bepis posted:

take it easy buddy

man i am so worked up u dont even know

so worked up

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty

Cubone posted:

I stumbled over a YouTube show called Fact Hunt that's uh. Well, it's a YouTube show, alright, but he does seem to be doing independent research to find out some interesting tidbits, which is more than I could say for most similar shows. If you're starved for gaming arcana you could do a lot worse.

Here's an episode about scandals that were covered up by their perpetrators:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PgOnyIt9_ic

Thanks for this, this guy is amazingly tolerable and even a little bit likeable for a Youtube Content Producer©

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
He has a followup on Driv3rgate with a bit more information but a lot is copy-pasted from that video. Fascinating nonetheless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxEQOv2g0JA

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I like Larry for the same reason I like Ashens, he's really ready and happy to delve into the wild west of old British gaming that doesn't get a whole lot of focus elsewhere. He'll do a countdown of things where you go 'oh, I know everything he's gonna talk about here' and half of it is weird Amiga and Spectrum poo poo you've never heard of before and will never hear of again.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

nexus6 posted:

He has a followup on Driv3rgate with a bit more information but a lot is copy-pasted from that video. Fascinating nonetheless

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxEQOv2g0JA

Driv3r looks like it would have been a great GTA clone if it had been finished. :(

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

A Stupid Baby posted:

Thanks for this, this guy is amazingly tolerable and even a little bit likeable for a Youtube Content Producer©

Cleretic posted:

I like Larry for the same reason I like Ashens, he's really ready and happy to delve into the wild west of old British gaming that doesn't get a whole lot of focus elsewhere. He'll do a countdown of things where you go 'oh, I know everything he's gonna talk about here' and half of it is weird Amiga and Spectrum poo poo you've never heard of before and will never hear of again.

It helps that both of them had done legit TV presenter and production work on national TV channels before they became YouTube people. Keeps 'em from going "whoa look at me I'm super wacky and shouty!" like a lot of other YouTube personalities who lucked into fame or only had that kind of person to look up to.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

Cleretic posted:

I also like Larry from all the way back to the old Screwattack days. After reading some things about how the guy running the site tried to gently caress him over about a contract that Larry never signed I was glad to see him pop up on youtube.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

As a massive fan of old UK computer games, I love Larry. He's a great personality. I can't say I agree with all of his viewpoints or anything and there are things here and there I raise an eyebrow at but his stuff is always enjoyable and informative. The person who edits his videos has a channel as well, Slope's Game Room, that's equally as interesting.

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

It appears that the elephant is highly sensitive to the effects of LSD - a finding which may prove to be valuable in elephant-control work in Africa.

melon cat posted:

Not sure if it has been mentioned already, but All Bonds Mode for Goldeneye 64.

Liars of the Internet seemed to unite in what appeared to be a worldwide conspiracy to convince Goldeneye players that there was a way to play as all of the bond actors in multiplayer. Sometimes you had to destroy the glass tubes on top of the vents in the facility (wtf were those there for any way), or sometimes you had to beat the entire game on 007 difficulty without taking a hint.

I've been reading this thread from the beginning, and the 'All Bonds Mode' keeps coming up, and people keep saying that it's either fake or was not in the game due to licensing issues, but I have disting memories of accessing it with a GameShark when I was a kid. Connery, Moore, the whole gamut, right there on the character select screen.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
You're sort of right: https://tcrf.net/GoldenEye_007_(Nintendo_64)#All_Bonds

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

MrCussMustard posted:

I've been reading this thread from the beginning, and the 'All Bonds Mode' keeps coming up, and people keep saying that it's either fake or was not in the game due to licensing issues, but I have disting memories of accessing it with a GameShark when I was a kid. Connery, Moore, the whole gamut, right there on the character select screen.

The playground rumor that wasn't true is that you could get All Bonds using in-game unlocks and codes, the way say you got invincibility. The true version is that you can only do All Bonds using a whole bunch of GameShark code at once, assembling the textures onto other models as well as the 3 single line codes to apply the portraits onto selectable characters.

It's along the lines of how you can reconstruct the "Citadel" test map from in-game data using a whole bunch of GameShark code at once. This is of course impractical without using the GameShark models with a PC parallel port on the back and a compatible computer to upload the huge code to them.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
How long did it take for Rare to announce you could activate the goldeneye cheats with button codes? Did anyone discover that before it was announced?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Calaveron posted:

How long did it take for Rare to announce you could activate the goldeneye cheats with button codes? Did anyone discover that before it was announced?

WHAT?! I'm seriously just learning this now?

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

RCarr posted:

WHAT?! I'm seriously just learning this now?

Pretty sure he means the character unlock codes.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
The button codes for cheats were given out in Nintendo Power and through other promotional material.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Lord Chumley posted:

Nope, there's actual button-and-joystick codes to unlock the cheatcodes like invincibility and paintball mode and stuff like that, instead of beating the levels in certain difficulties in certain times.
I remember getting an email from the Nintendo mailing list with all the codes and it blew my mind trying them all out

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Calaveron posted:

Around 2000 was when Rare released the button codes. They weren't originally going to do it, but somebody from the gameshark hacking community forced their hand by finding them out, so Rare released the codes so that people wouldn't have as big of a reason to buy a gameshark.

Maide
Aug 21, 2008

There's a Starman waiting in the sky...

Lord Chumley posted:

There are button codes you can enter mid-game to enable and disable cheats. There's even one for invisibility in multiplayer, not that you can't see the people anyway..

edit: beaten by a lot by opening up this tab forever ago :(

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

fishmech posted:

The playground rumor that wasn't true is that you could get All Bonds using in-game unlocks and codes, the way say you got invincibility. The true version is that you can only do All Bonds using a whole bunch of GameShark code at once, assembling the textures onto other models as well as the 3 single line codes to apply the portraits onto selectable characters.

It's along the lines of how you can reconstruct the "Citadel" test map from in-game data using a whole bunch of GameShark code at once. This is of course impractical without using the GameShark models with a PC parallel port on the back and a compatible computer to upload the huge code to them.

You can actually get access to Citadel with conventional Gameshark codes, but it's a test level that doesn't play nice with the final game. You need a few more to make it playable, but it's not recreating the whole thing.

And yeah, rights issues were the thing that killed All Bonds. Both their face and suit textures are still in the game, but they're unusable and, as I recall, don't have character models they map well to. Their suits are in Perfect Dark as the Dinner Jacket multiplayer skins, though.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cleretic posted:

You can actually get access to Citadel with conventional Gameshark codes, but it's a test level that doesn't play nice with the final game. You need a few more to make it playable, but it's not recreating the whole thing.

When did I ever say they weren't conventional gameshark codes? It's just an assload of them to enter by controller if you want it to actually be playable, hence why you use the PC connection to load the codes instead of spending 2 hours inputting them by hand.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

fishmech posted:

spending 2 hours inputting them by hand.
Th... the Hell in a Cell code from WWF No Mercy... :negative:
Oh God. You've unzipped me. It's all coming back! I hate you! It's all coming back

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
The Banjo-Kazooie codes to unlock the Ice Key and the Stop N' Swop eggs were also unlocked by intrepid hackers and subsequently released to official channels by Rare, though the fact that the game linking never happened really put a damper on that.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay house
Does anyone remember an online community making crazy GTA: Vice City action replay or gameshark codes? They released one that let you fly the commercial jets at the airport and it was a huge deal, the code for it was gigantic. I can't find any trace of it online so it sounds like bullshit but it did exist and I'm pretty sure it worked. I remember spending an afternoon putting in the code. They had a bunch of other codes too, I remember one that basically gave you a flying delorean.

The way the GTA: San Andreas button cheats were found out was also impressive if I remember right. This guy, EdisonCarter, hooked some poo poo up to his ps2 controller that would go through every combination of button presses and record which ones triggered a something. I'm pretty sure it took a billion hours but he figured out a lot of the cheats before rockstar released them officially. The same guy did a bunch of other crazy things with the next few GTA games too.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

R.L. Stine posted:

Does anyone remember an online community making crazy GTA: Vice City action replay or gameshark codes? They released one that let you fly the commercial jets at the airport and it was a huge deal, the code for it was gigantic. I can't find any trace of it online so it sounds like bullshit but it did exist and I'm pretty sure it worked. I remember spending an afternoon putting in the code. They had a bunch of other codes too, I remember one that basically gave you a flying delorean.

The way the GTA: San Andreas button cheats were found out was also impressive if I remember right. This guy, EdisonCarter, hooked some poo poo up to his ps2 controller that would go through every combination of button presses and record which ones triggered a something. I'm pretty sure it took a billion hours but he figured out a lot of the cheats before rockstar released them officially. The same guy did a bunch of other crazy things with the next few GTA games too.

It sounds like what they might have done was done something to make the jets enterable vehicles, and then applied the "make cars act like the Dodo" code to it - or just made them act as dodos directly. Probably possible, though sounds like the kind of thing that would be easier with the Xbox version and its cheat devices than the PS2 version and its cheat devices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
Does anyone remember the specific word that was used for adventure game puzzles that so intentionally obtuse they were actually specifically designed to get people to call 900 tip lines for the game? It's not moon logic, which is like 50% of adventure game puzzles anyway. I know I heard a word for it and I cannot remember it for the life of me and it always drives me mental.