Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

garfield hentai posted:

I had an unofficial Yoshi's Island players guide and while all the maps were correct the enemy names were things like "unique guy" for goombas and "man eating flower" for piranha plants. It also had a full page dedicated to showing an egg come out of Yoshi's butt frame by frame.

Was that one that called a certain enemy a "flying condom"? I remember asking my parents what it meant and the look of dumbfounded shock on my mother's face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Kavak posted:

Was that one that called a certain enemy a "flying condom"? I remember asking my parents what it meant and the look of dumbfounded shock on my mother's face.

You mean they're not called that?:confused:

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

SeANMcBAY posted:

You mean they're not called that?:confused:

If we've got Bullet Bills and Torpedo Teds, maybe these are Condom Carls.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

garfield hentai posted:

I had an unofficial Yoshi's Island players guide and while all the maps were correct the enemy names were things like "unique guy" for goombas and "man eating flower" for piranha plants. It also had a full page dedicated to showing an egg come out of Yoshi's butt frame by frame.

I guess that's the inspiration for the Yoshi Egg anal toy that Dildomancer mentioned making in their dildo company a/t thread.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Those are Gustys. :colbert: the chapter that introduced them was called "is Gusty tasty?" Or something to that effect.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Frog Fractions 2 not actually being a secret game, but secretly being EVERY GAME would be a twist no one saw coming.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

Kavak posted:

Same one! It did name them correctly as "Gusty", but in the little blurb below it described them as flying condoms.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Don't you see? Frog Fractions 2 was in your heart all along! Click the heels of your novelty slippers...

Count Chocula
Dec 25, 2011

WE HAVE TO CONTROL OUR ENVIRONMENT
IF YOU SEE ME POSTING OUTSIDE OF THE AUSPOL THREAD PLEASE TELL ME THAT I'M MISSED AND TO START POSTING AGAIN

HMS Boromir posted:

Gary Butterfield, noted podcastist and friend of the Kingdom of Loathing guys, also put it in his recent book.

Aren't Gary and the KoL people Goons? If they find this thread they'll know we're on to them!
Unless this thread is also part of the ARG.

I could find the Abject Suffering and/or Bonfireside Chat episode with Frog Fractions guy and comb it for clues.

I thought the image was just a semi-obscure Sanskrit symbol.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

Frog Fractions guy is on KoL's Video Games Hotdog podcast and he has his own where he yammers to himself on public transit called Train Hotdog.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Overwatch has been teasing a hacker-type character with some ARGy stuff like codes hidden in videos and art assets. Now this has appeared on the forums.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Zombie Samurai posted:

Overwatch has been teasing a hacker-type character with some ARGy stuff like codes hidden in videos and art assets. Now this has appeared on the forums.

That says whoever has the information has the power in the feminine article.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Calaveron posted:

That says whoever has the information has the power in the feminine article.
If you wait a bit it does...something.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Zereth posted:

If you wait a bit it does...something.

Yeah, Icag or cagi or gica or something but honestly putting the letters c a and g together for a spanish name is a bad idea because it's more than 50% of letters you need to write the verb to poo poo in spanish

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Zombie Samurai posted:

Has anyone posted about this? The article just came across my Twitter feed: These Mysterious Symbols Have Been in 19 Video Games and No One Knows Why

People have been finding these weird glyphs in games like Crypt of the Necrodancer and Duskers that form some kind of map. Somehow none of the developers involved have spilled what it's about, and it sounds like some of them have even included the glyphs in their games without knowing what they're for.

I wonder if that is a circuit diagram. The symbols at the top and bottom look like the one for ground though that is three lines instead of two.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
People think it's related to Canberra Station -- both the circles and squares, and the shapes inside the hand -- have a striking resemblence to the patterns around it.

https://www.google.com/maps/@-35.2983259,149.1249593,14.38z

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.

Calaveron posted:

Yeah, Icag or cagi or gica or something but honestly putting the letters c a and g together for a spanish name is a bad idea because it's more than 50% of letters you need to write the verb to poo poo in spanish

Seems to be some kind of base64 encoded thing.

edit: well the forums mangles it, here's a picture:

Skychrono
May 11, 2007

I'll make you cry like I did when my daddy died!
If D.Va didn't already exist I'd love for all this hacker foreshadowing to come up with a tiny 13-year old girl with dew and doritos.

Wait, maybe Sombra is D.Va....

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

monster on a stick posted:

I wonder if that is a circuit diagram. The symbols at the top and bottom look like the one for ground though that is three lines instead of two.

It's not a circuit, it's a single unbroken line starting from the triangle and going to the square. The "earth" symbols are there to tell you that those two lines are connected; you go off the bottom and come back in from the top. Possibly there's something encoded in the distance between the circles, or possibly the circles have to be connected to some other information and read in order.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Skychrono posted:

If D.Va didn't already exist I'd love for all this hacker foreshadowing to come up with a tiny 13-year old girl with dew and doritos.

Wait, maybe Sombra is D.Va....

Twist of the year. Sombra is actually D.Va's forums name.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
Fez just had an update, what are the chances of there being a symbol added?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Once D.va's mech is destroyed, her robotic android shell is ejected. Once that is destroyed a smaller actual human girl comes out and THAT is Sombra. Kind of like a Matroika doll.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

synthetik posted:

Fez just had an update, what are the chances of there being a symbol added?

I thought the maker of Fez quit in a huff about being criticized?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Somebody else on the team worked on it to put out a "final" patch to fix some issues, from what I read.

There was a Reddit post talking about the possibility of such a thing being added, but I think the conclusion was that it was pretty unlikely.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

ikanreed posted:

I thought the maker of Fez quit in a huff about being criticized?

I would gain so much respect for him if it the huff was to just get people's eyes off of him and they are secretly working on Fez 2.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape

foobardog posted:

I would gain so much respect for him if it the huff was to just get people's eyes off of him and they are secretly working on Fez 2.

If that was the case it would be super neat, but from everything I have heard the staff that worked on Fez with him all hate him.

VVVVV:
Nah, Fish didn't end up picking up the slack there. It was a different programmer who took over. Fish was mainly an art and concept guy.

Black Mage Knight fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Aug 25, 2016

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Yeah, I thought that what happened with Fez was that Fish drove away his partner who actually did the programming and then he had to reverse-engineer how to do everything himself. Which is why there were so many years between the game being unveiled and actually released and why he was so eager to abandon Fez 2.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Guy Mann posted:

Yeah, I thought that what happened with Fez was that Fish drove away his partner who actually did the programming and then he had to reverse-engineer how to do everything himself. Which is why there were so many years between the game being unveiled and actually released and why he was so eager to abandon Fez 2.

Getting hacked and having all your personal information released on the internet probably killed any desire he might have had to return to games as well.

NonsenseWords
Feb 17, 2011
Going back through the pages, I'm actually surprised that I can't find any information on how to Revive Aeris (granted, 200+ pages, but I'm not seeing it so I apologize if I'm treading old ground). Well, a little discussion that it was a thing, but the story's kind of interesting.

(And, for the sake of consistency and the time of the discussion, I'm going with Aeris here.)

Now, big spoilers for Final Fantasy 7, but Aeris -- a flower girl/magical survivor of an ancient race/Jesus figure -- is killed at the end of Disc 1.

I know. Shocking.

Aeris is a character that quite a few players grew attached to, either for her personality or because she is an extremely powerful support party member (her ultimate Limit Break, Great Gospel, gives you a bevy of positive status effects, full heal, and temporary invincibility, so she could be a bit of a game-breaking character, and even her other Limits were pretty powerful, so she was often a mainstay on parties). RPGs had included character death before, but having a character who is built to be extremely important to the story, and powerful, and most notably an active member of your party killed off in such a brutal and abrupt way was something of a shock back in 1997.

Aeris was meant to die, and stay dead (her actual role in the story -- the summoning of Holy to stop Meteor from annihilating the planet -- actually relies on her being part of the Lifestream, and you can only be part of the Lifestream once you're dead), but this didn't stop people from believing she could be brought back. It's not really hard to understand why, either; her ultimate weapon and final Limit Break are tucked away in some obscure places. You can reach them early in the game, but most players wouldn't stumble upon them until much later, which would generally suggest that she would still have to be on the party to use these items, ergo she must be revivable. Or there's a way to avoid her death. Or something.

Plenty of rumors sprung from this, including a rather mean one that suggested you be a saint to Aeris and an absolute dick to Tifa, and for some reason this would prompt Tifa to interrupt the cutscene, shove Aeris out of the way, and take the sword to the chest instead.

(We'll ignore that this doesn't make any goddamn sense, and that Tifa still has personal weapons appearing in shops for the rest of the game while Aeris, notably, does not.)

But the most pervasive of these rumors was published by a man who was part of the American localization team.

He claimed that there was a long side quest that could be initiated by finding the Key to Sector 5 at a certain point in the game. You would be able to re-enter the starting area of Midgar on the first disk, and speak to a sick man in the slums with Aeris (the man that are sick, as a matter of fact). She would comfort him, but the man would still die, except this time you would receive an item as a posthumous thanks from the other NPC who had been taking care of him. Tuck the key item away and continue the game. Eventually Aeris gets stabbed and dies.

Return to Midgar once you're able (a little ways into Disc 2) and enter a church where Aeris would tend the flowers. Her ghost will appear. Speak to the ghost.

After this happens, you would have to find the Underwater materia (which allows you to breathe underwater and has exactly one use in the entirety of the game) and return to the Ancient City where Aeris was killed. When you try and return to her grave site, there is a statue of a fish planted on the stairway that keeps you from proceeding. Thanks to fulfilling the previous events, the fish statue will not spawn in (no, there is no relationship between the presence of the statue and anything that's been done so far) allowing you to return to Aeris' grave, retrieve her body, and use the item you obtained from the sick man to revive her.

When the steps failed, the man later lamented that they had made an alteration between the Japanese version (where this sequence of events work) and the American one, by removing the Key to Sector 5 that would allow you to return to Midgar during the first disc. Without being able to do so, you can't reach the sick man, receive his item, and thus revive Aeris.

There are... problems with this.

For one, it's bullshit.

For two, the reason it's bullshit is apparent if you know about some of the regional differences. Specifically, that the Underwater materia didn't even exist in the Japanese version. It was dummied out and only added in during the American localization process, so that's not going to help anybody.

Still, there were aspects of this that had some amount of truth. The man really are sick, and in such a peculiar aside that it seems to be incredibly important and noteworthy but is never addressed again. Aeris' ghost is visible in the church when you return later in game. You do eventually get the sector key to return to Midgar, and it's done in a rather peculiar and obscure way that suggests you might be able to obtain it early enough to use it in by Disc 1 (although the key itself does not spawn until Disc 2, and even if it did you enter the area so late that Aeris has already permanently left your party).

To be honest, I'm much more interested in the actual rumor-mongering than the rumor itself.

This was an era where the regional minutiae were much harder to find and understand if you, yourself, did not possess a modded PlayStation and knowledge of Japanese. The Internet was a smaller place, and verifying this kind of information wasn't so easy as it is nowadays. It was entirely feasible that the sidequest had exists and been removed, and even years and years later, after the hoax was revealed, people were still looking for proof that maybe it existed. Some unique lines of dialogue have actually been found later in the game that lend credence to the idea that Aeris was with you a little longer, although it less proves that maybe she could be returned to the party and more suggests they weren't 100% sure of the order of events and had a little extra dialogue written in case her death occurred a bit later in the story.

Now, these claims were made back when it was harder to verify, but there were people who could verify... and could try the trick out on their own Japanese copy of the game. Surprisingly, it failed to work, and as people dug and realized the other holes in the story -- the lack of the appropriate Materia, the fact that the sick man just kind of leaves, the fact that the key doesn't appear until Disc 2 no matter what your region, the fact that the Aeris ghost is actually a weird artifact of an in-engine scene placing her model there (and is actually visible for a frame or two during an earlier scene, while Aeris is definitely still alive and definitely not a ghost) -- the 'localization worker' tried for a little while to shoot down the opposition before the game stopped being fun.

Eventually he left an open letter on a message board gloating that he'd managed to spread such a stupid rumor (which he'd actually seeded with openly-false information to make it clear to anybody who did a little digging that it was BS) and that so many people had bought it hook, line, and sinker. There is no way to revive Aeris, in English or in Japanese. It wasn't taken away during localization; it wasn't added in for the Japanese 'international' version. Aeris dies. Get over it.

Which, naturally, means that people would spend years and years searching for a way to revive her, or evidence that they could prevent her death-- any little thing to prove that somehow, Aeris might be safe. Or might have been safe.

Which led to some interesting discoveries, a lot of digging through old beta versions of the game for stuff that was discarded by the end, including a massive amount of content removed from the infamous Honeybee Inn brothel.

Kind of neat stuff, although my lord people insist to this day there was once a way to revive her. (Ignoring, again, that if she lived she wouldn't be able to do that little thing at the end of the game where she saves the world. On the other hand, I'm all over it if the remake includes this path but makes it a much-belabored bad ending and the credits sequence of 'revive Aeris' is just a mushroom cloud where the world once was in the shape of a giant middle finger.)

All that said, there was something in FF7J that was removed from the game, and very close to the ship date; Test 0.

Test 0 was a test battle against non-combatant enemies that would distribute massive amount of experience and currency on defeat. It was meant to be used for debug purposes, but the original Japanese version of the game left in the encounter data in an area of the game that is otherwise pointless to explore; a well in the middle of a prison town (which, I believe, you only visit once) that contains absolutely nothing else.

(My best guess is that they accidentally left an encounter trigger in the well without pointing it to a specific table, causing it to default to the undefined 'Test 0' field. That or they just left it there specifically so they could access it and forgot to remove it because FF7 actually has a number of combat-related errors that you can trigger throughout the game.)

Test 0 was obscure even to Japanese audiences, and its presence likely wasn't realized until late into debugging for localization-- late enough that the unofficial guide still included this page about it and only made an editorial note that it 'appeared' to have been removed.

There is also, in the Corel Prison well, hidden behind a background layer, this thing.

To this day nobody knows what the gently caress is up with this thing.

(Man, now that I'm looking through this stuff I'm lamenting that I can't find one particular page I used to see. It was an old Geocities/Angelfire/Tripod-deal kind of site, and it was just this massive document of all kinds of amazing schoolyard bullshit that the person had posted, sometimes tried to debunk, and sometimes left with notes like 'this sounds fake buuuut I haven't tested it myself so maybe you really can get a Silver Chocobo that flies you to the moon so you can fight the real final boss, Ultros'.)

NonsenseWords fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 6, 2016

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Your friend of a friend's uncle who works at nintendo: the one-stop information shop on all Aeris resurrection truths

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I remember reading one where her death was preventable, but it was in a pre-order version of the Japanese game that never made it to America.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

NonsenseWords posted:

(Man, now that I'm looking through this stuff I'm lamenting that I can't find one particular page I used to see. It was an old Geocities/Angelfire/Tripod-deal kind of site, and it was just this massive document of all kinds of amazing schoolyard bullshit that the person had posted, sometimes tried to debunk, and sometimes left with notes like 'this sounds fake buuuut I haven't tested it myself so maybe you really can get a Silver Chocobo that flies you to the moon so you can fight the real final boss, Ultros'.)

Ultros being the voice inside Sephiroth's head pretending to be Jenova and controlling everything from a base on the moon just for yuks is DLC I'd gladly pay for for the remake.

Atlus Shrugged
Jul 29, 2014
Fun Shoe

NonsenseWords posted:

Was it this one?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I hope the final fantasy 7 remake has an ultra obscure way to revive Aeris that sounds like the bullshit rumors that people made for the original.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Better yet, two slightly different versions of the game sold at retail, one in ten thousand FFVIIR discs let you revive Aeris, 9999 of them don't.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
If there's one thing MGSV and The Witcher 3 has shown the internet it's that as much as people pine for games with Choices That Matter they absolutely cannot deal with permanently missing out on or losing content.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I'm of an "All or nothing" mindset in regards to that- either let differences between character classes/races/paths be effectively cosmetic so I can get everything in one go (Bloodlines, New Vegas) or let their be huge chunks to encourage multiple playthroughs (Morrowind). Baldur's Gate II was the worst at this with the strongholds, but that was 16 years ago.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

scuba school sucks posted:

Better yet, two slightly different versions of the game sold at retail, one in ten thousand FFVIIR discs let you revive Aeris, 9999 of them don't.

That would be really good and cool.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Someone should do a writeup on trying to revive Schala in Chrono Trigger because the internet wasn't around as much when it was out by my friends and I spent hella days searching every corner of that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Quidthulhu posted:

Someone should do a writeup on trying to revive Schala in Chrono Trigger because the internet wasn't around as much when it was out by my friends and I spent hella days searching every corner of that game.

This should probably be bigger because 1) Magus is definitely doing this in game already and 2) you already do it for Crono in game, but lol, final fantasy popularity.

Has anyone ever gotten into crazytown about how to save Nei in Phantasy Star 2?