Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOP
May 20, 2007

by Ozmaugh
I can't explain why, but I've beaten Silent Hill 2... And can't play Majora's Mask because I get too creeped out. Game seriously taps into something that really effects me, a sense of young innocence twisted by an undercurrent of evil.

I guess Earthbound does the same thing to some people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
This thread is really starting to remind me that Majora's Mask is one of those games i've always wanted to play. :( I really need to find a cheap Gamecube and the Zelda collection or whatever for it someday.

Nuitari
Jun 17, 2005

Shit, Piss, Fuck, Cunt, Cocksucker, Motherfucker and Tits.

Technique posted:

This thread is really starting to remind me that Majora's Mask is one of those games i've always wanted to play. :( I really need to find a cheap Gamecube and the Zelda collection or whatever for it someday.

Surely you have a Wii collecting dust somewhere don't you? $10 on the VC. I could be wrong, but I thought the GC Collector edition had a lot of bugs.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I played the GC collector edition and it was fine.

This was a couple years ago though so I might have forgotten.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Jetsetlemming posted:

You seriously cannot wrap your head around the concept that other people take scary stuff differently from you? Lots of people, myself included, got to the point of feeling actually stressed out by Amnesia and how oppressively afraid of every single little thing it makes you. It's not like anyone's thinking the shadow monsters are going to get them IRL. Scary stuff can make people really scared, and not just thrilled. Obviously this is news to you, the bravest person on earth, the Goon Who Showed No Fear. But other people are, perhaps, different. We're all very wowed by you and your amazing abilities, but not everyone is so closed to the possibility of actually responding in the intended manner to something scary.

Haha when did I say I had no fear?

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

RCarr posted:

I played the GC collector edition and it was fine.

This was a couple years ago though so I might have forgotten.

Yeah, for some reason everyone keeps saying the Collector's Edition Majora's Mask is riddled with bugs, but I never encountered a single one in my playthrough (got all the masks, too). I heard it may have something to do with rumble in the GC controller, and I used a Wavebird so it didn't effect me.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Nuitari posted:

Surely you have a Wii collecting dust somewhere don't you? $10 on the VC. I could be wrong, but I thought the GC Collector edition had a lot of bugs.

Nope, don't have a Wii. :shobon:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Technique posted:

On the plus side (maybe) I think the game is going to run you more than the system if you shop Gamestop.

Lacool
Jun 18, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT MY DRAGON FUR SUIT BORING YOUTUBE BULLSHIT AND THEN TELL ME TO GET OUT

ChuckDHead posted:

Someone graduated from the Lovecraft school of horror.

Hahaha, yes. Nearly all of the authors of these stories just can't let their stories stand on their own. They always go too far in the end, explaining how terrified they are or how there was a picture of their family. I guess subtlety is too much to ask for people who write video game horror.

Slight aside, but Lovecraft wrote a story where he made fun of this part of his writing style. http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/u.asp

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Rocketlex posted:

Oh, oh...
You forgot where a little kid's voice actually calls out 'WATCH OUT' before he appears in the field.

This whole thing would have been really, really effective if it had just been done as an LP-turned-creepy. Post up four or so regular videos going through the first couple of temples with voice commentary, and then at some point have odd little things start going wrong. Like there's no fairy in the fairy cave or no music plays when you go into Clock Town. Then the guy notices that he went in the door to the bomb shop but ended up in the curiosity shop one time, or that the dog is running away from him as Deku Link, or that the lottery numbers keep changing... a bit of subtlety and acting with this level of ROM hacking ability would make an absolutely top-drawer hoax.

hipster werewolf
Mar 4, 2006

Jetsetlemming posted:

I won't directly respond to that but I will say that a couple of night ago I went to take out the trash at night, and when I opened my back door there was a big possum out there on the back porch railing, bigger than a cat, just staring at me. Not hissing or acting aggressive or scared or anything. Looked expectant, like I was gonna let him in. Freaked me out a little. I decided to put off taking out the trash till morning.
http://i52.tinypic.com/15qd840.jpg

Possums own but possums are not a video game, hoax or urban legend

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

SheepNameKiller posted:

Just read about this, pretty crazy concept, did it suck or something? Why did this never really catch on?

Majestic was awesome. I remember being a part of it and it had some really cool ideas, and getting random calls and e-mails and IMs was fun as hell.

But from what I recall, content was eventually slow to be released. So you'd end up with nothing to do for a long time. So the people you were working with would lose interest or lag behind you, or you'd lag behind them. So that sort of messed everything up.

Then it got too expensive to continue.

But man, I really really liked it. I wish they'd do something along those lines as well. Sort of like a guided, more interactive and personalized ARG.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown

TACD posted:

You forgot where a little kid's voice actually calls out 'WATCH OUT' before he appears in the field.

That's actually a sound clip from Ocarina of Time. Navi says it if you target an enemy. So yeah, that's two things from Ocarina of Time tossed in there.

Brolita
Mar 23, 2009

TACD posted:

This whole thing would have been really, really effective if it had just been done as an LP-turned-creepy. Post up four or so regulpar videos going through the first couple of temples with voice commentary, and then at some point have odd little things start going wrong. Like there's no fairy in the fairy cave or no music plays when you go into Clock Town. Then the guy notices that he went in the door to the bomb shop but ended up in the curiosity shop one time, or that the dog is running away from him as Deku Link, or that the lottery numbers keep changing... a bit of subtlety and acting with this level of ROM hacking ability would make an absolutely top-drawer hoax.

That was Navi's voice.

And now this thread somehow went from creepy Pokemon games to slenderman and possums.

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009
Someday I want to romhack a pokemon game and put a slenderpossum in it :ohdear:

also it takes place in the ocean.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

King Bowflexious posted:

Possums own but possums are not a video game, hoax or urban legend
I always thought they were an urban legend... before that night :gonk:!

Brolita
Mar 23, 2009

JammyLammy posted:

Someday I want to romhack a pokemon game and put a slenderpossum in it :ohdear:

also it takes place in the ocean.

I choose you, Nukeachu!

A Quiet American
Nov 5, 2008
Digging this thread. I didn't care for the Majora's Mask videos/story, but I think that's because I never played it. If you don't have a frame of reference for how the game is supposed to play, it's not all that disturbing because it's not really clear what's different. Obviously the music is weird and the dialogue is messed up, and it goes for a few cheap "gotcha!" scares, but if you're not familiar with the source material it just looks like a game glitching out like crazy. It is pretty cool that it doesn't look super fake, though.

Not an urban legend, but one of my favorite weird moments in gaming was in MGS 2 when Colonel Campbell tells you to turn off your PS2. Because MGS had you switch your controller port up for Psycho Mantis, I was already up and reaching for the power switch before I realized what I was doing. KOJIMA! :argh:

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

TACD posted:

Also the fact that the Elegy of Emptiness statue appears right in the beginning on the top right corner watching NOT LINK WATCHING THE PLAYER YOU YOU YOU YOU YOU YOU YOU.

TACD posted:

This whole thing would have been really, really effective if it had just been done as an LP-turned-creepy. Post up four or so regular videos going through the first couple of temples with voice commentary, and then at some point have odd little things start going wrong. Like there's no fairy in the fairy cave or no music plays when you go into Clock Town. Then the guy notices that he went in the door to the bomb shop but ended up in the curiosity shop one time, or that the dog is running away from him as Deku Link, or that the lottery numbers keep changing... a bit of subtlety and acting with this level of ROM hacking ability would make an absolutely top-drawer hoax.

This would make an awesome LP, especially if it's some game people grew up with. Starting off with missing textures like the Zelda guy is a nice step, and then some normal glitches until poo poo starts going real. This also reminds me of the Everyman Hybrid show on youtube, which starts off as a fitness programme with a fake slenderman shot in the background of every video until it turns out some genuine monster is stalking them and screwing up their lives.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I think you guys are looking for the Animal Crossing LP.

Hit up the archive.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

A Quiet American posted:

Digging this thread. I didn't care for the Majora's Mask videos/story, but I think that's because I never played it. If you don't have a frame of reference for how the game is supposed to play, it's not all that disturbing because it's not really clear what's different. Obviously the music is weird and the dialogue is messed up, and it goes for a few cheap "gotcha!" scares, but if you're not familiar with the source material it just looks like a game glitching out like crazy. It is pretty cool that it doesn't look super fake, though.

If you read the stories the first 2 videos use assets from the game so it pretty much does come off as "glitching out".

gucci mangosteen
Feb 26, 2007

Jetsetlemming posted:

Slenderman is a hyper-adult figure that makes children disappear and fills in the blank of the thing you imagine watching you when you're feeling nervous or scared, how do you not "get" that? Not being effected by it, ok, but the concept is far from just "ooh, spooky"
this poooooooost

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

HenryEx posted:

I think you guys are looking for the Animal Crossing LP.

Hit up the archive.
No this pooooooooost.

JammyLammy
Dec 23, 2009
No, this poooOOoooOOOOOOooOOoOOOooost :ghost:

Concerning Eternal Darkness, I heard someone say that the company patent the loving with the players insanity effects. Is that possible?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

JammyLammy posted:

Concerning Eternal Darkness, I heard someone say that the company patent the loving with the players insanity effects. Is that possible?

This poooooooooOOooOooooooooooooooooOOoOOoooOOOOOOOoooooop

(oh come now how is there no poop-related smiley. Travesty.)

Yeah, they patented that. I suppose it is sort of a patentable effect...sucks though, cause you know they're never going to use it again, asses.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

Algernon Quazar posted:

this poooooooost
Are you criticizing it or agreeing with it, please be more descriptive in your posts in the future thanks.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
By the way, here is that Animal Crossing LP.

ZackHoagie
Dec 25, 2007

now eat him.
i once bought a copy of super mario rpg and then my grandma died so i knew my copy was haunted!!! but then my lameazoid mom and dad said it was complications from ALS and i was like pssh it was obviously a ghost and mayb ~SLENDERMAN~ :spooky:

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDanX-beShQ

Welp, I'm not sleeping tonight.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

JammyLammy posted:

I defintely heard they patened it but it seems kinda flimsy. Amnesia and Dark Corners of the Earth have very similar systems (sanity bar and the world gets more warped as it depletes). Arkham Asylum while not using a meter has VERY similar effects.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

I defintely heard they patened it but it seems kinda flimsy. Amnesia and Dark Corners of the Earth have very similar systems (sanity bar and the world gets more warped as it depletes). Arkham Asylum while not using a meter has VERY similar effects.
I've never played Eternal Darkness (I never had a GC, a friend did but we played nothing but Smash Bros on it), but from the descriptions/videos I've seen it looks like the poo poo from the end of MGS2 also fits into the exact same category.

Beaumains
Aug 8, 2007
HURFDURF scary stories are dumb, I'm so cool i lack even the rudimentary analytical abilities to decipher basic themes and archetypes, anything without fast cars and explosions is for babbies, heh im so goddamn tough and grown up :smug:
HURFDURF scary stories are dumb, I'm so cool i lack even the rudimentary analytical abilities to decipher basic themes and archetypes, anything without fast cars and explosions is for babbies, heh im so goddamn tough and grown up :smug:

A Quiet American
Nov 5, 2008

RagnarokAngel posted:

If you read the stories the first 2 videos use assets from the game so it pretty much does come off as "glitching out".
Right. I did watch the preceding videos and read the accompanying posts from 4chan. Having never played the original it just looked like a broken game, and I understand that's the point. I actually thought it was kind of funny at times.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Beaumains posted:

When did anyone say this

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

ZackHoagie posted:

~SLENDERMAN~

Thanks, now I'm not sleeping tonight

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I've heard my 7 year old cousin tell scarier stories than ~SlEnDeRmAn~ to be quite honest

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

fishmech posted:

~DeRmAn~

Will you stop it? I was planning on sleeping tonight, thanks rear end in a top hat.

Brolita
Mar 23, 2009

ZackHoagie posted:

i once bought a copy of super mario rpg and then my grandma died so i knew my copy was haunted!!! but then my lameazoid mom and dad said it was complications from ALS and i was like pssh it was obviously a ghost and mayb ~SLENDERMAN~ :spooky:

oh poo poo rthis is scarier than when I read hp lovecraft and my mom was like "do you want to go get red lobster" and i was like gently caress NO MOM DO YOU WANT TO PISS OFF THE ANCIENT ONES :cthulhu:

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

It cost me an arm and a leg to get into this club!
Sorry guys, the Majora's Mask thing was really lame and relied on stupid jump scare tactics too much.

You'd think a guy that good at ROM hacking would make something good instead of a lovely "creepypasta" video. I also really, really hate that word.

I'm really hoping for more stuff like Killswitch and Polybius, or long time rumors about games that were never proved/disproved, instead of "MARIO 64 SHOWED PICTURES OF MY DYING FAMILY!" 4Chan has really ran this crap into the ground.

edit: Someone make a Slenderman game were the entire goal is to stand behind trees and be partially visible while some idiot shoots some amateur camera footage. That's literally all Slenderman does. He stands behind things.

SpaceBees fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Sep 11, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Brolita posted:

oh poo poo rthis is scarier than when I read hp lovecraft and my mom was like "do you want to go get red lobster" and i was like gently caress NO MOM DO YOU WANT TO PISS OFF THE ANCIENT ONES :cthulhu:

gently caress the ocean