Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

I wonder if this is based on/inspired by the opening of a real game. I had a PC game when I was little that was like a point-and-click first-person adventure game in a movie theater, and it really matches the description; from the starting in the lobby to the description of the usher, to even the really crappy soundbite and text box. Of course that's where the similarities stop since mine was playable, if ultimately way too hard for like a 6 year old. And obviously, you know, real and not haunted.

Fake edit: Or maybe it was the same game, and I discovered the other levels and now I'm going to be murdered 20+ years later by a spiraly-face hell-usher OH NOOES.

For content: Do you know how hard it is to be the first person in your highschool to discover you can fly the Dodo (a clipped-wing plane in GTA3 that is nearly uncontrollable)? People treat you the way they treat those wackos who think they see Jesus in their soap scum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

manyleeks posted:

The more I hear about this game the more I wonder how it slipped under my radar. It sounds AWESOME. No, I'm not being ironic.

Let me tell you how awesome it was. You had a joystick for movement, and a joystick for looking, and then another joystick on top of that joystick that you hit with your thumb for aiming weapons. Yes you had three joysticks and could (and probably would) be walking in one direction, looking in a second direction, and have your weapons point in a third all at the same time.

Also it had windshield wipers and you had to use them.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

RagnarokAngel posted:

What bad things do you expect to happen to you by watching a 6 minute video?

Uh, hello? The video in The Ring was only like 1 minute so this is 6 times as deadly.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Jervas Dudley posted:

Also I don't think anyone could play that game and not figure out who the "lone wolf" was. I think that's one of the first things you encounter from her predictions.

You'd be surprised. I have a friend that to this day maintains that the 'lone wolf' is Jack.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Pierce Brosan walks into a bar and the bartender asks "What the gently caress is wrong with your face?"

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

fishmech posted:

And then the game accidentally activates the anti-pirate thing on some poor schlub who bought the game legitly.

I remember years ago I was super-hyped about trying some 'ground-breaking' new game. If I remember correctly it was The Sims based on a review on the main SA site, but it wouldn't let me install it because it detected that I had virtual drives and was therefore a pirate (I can't imagine that I did or even knew what they were at this point). I actually went as far as to completely wipe the machine and reformat because I just had to play this game...and when I put the game back in it still said I had virtual drives and wouldn't let me install it. :(

For content, the only way to get money in Final Fantasy XIII is to grind one enemy over and over again, that drops something worth money ~25% of the time. And if you want enough money to buy everything you're going to spend hours of your life just grinding the same enemy for this low drop rate item.

I think it literally drove some people (probably me too) insane and they started coming up with all sorts of theories (none of which are true) about how to increase drop rate, like using certain weapons, spinning in circles before you get into the fight, running into the enemy at a certain point, starting or stopping certain side-missions, etc. I personally maintain if you run into the mob in the center of the back left leg's shackle you have better odds.

And the endgame of killing this enemy over and over again is... you get to fight tougher pallet swaps of the same enemy. FFXIII.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Chinaman7000 posted:

You're kidding. I know next to nothing about FF13 but I knew about the general dislike towards the game. How is is possible this is true? It can't be as bad as this sounds.

edit: looked some of this stuff up myself... I can't believe a non-MMO has this much theorycrafting over grinding for money. I assume there are some huge money sinks in the game for the badass stuff.

If you wanted to absolutely get every single item in the game (above and beyond getting the platinum trophy/1000 gamerscore) you would probably need to just kill the same enemy in the same place over and over again for, say, 120 hours or so. Just killing that turtle, seeing if he dropped anything, and then loading the game so it respawns quicker. Over and over. Depending on how lucky you are. ~25 hours of that would probably be staring at a loading screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

EroticBlacksmith posted:

I'll be he first to admit that there are a lot of things terribly wrong with FFXIII, but a lot of the stuff people have been saying in this thread are exactly the kind of rumors this thread is about. It's not just one enemy that drops money, it's just one that gives the best payout. The time estimate I quoted above is hilariously wrong. My save file isn't that long and I got all the trophies (which thankfully cured me of my trophy addiction).

The time it would take you to get every weapon, like my post says, is RADICALLY different than the time it took you to get all the trophies. All the trophies only require 6 of the final weapons. There are 48 final weapons, 42 of which you don't need for trophies. It literally says this in my post. Maybe rumors start with people with poor reading comprehension. :downs: