Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

Mortal Kombat was a source of many rumors (because the game by itself wasn't outrageous or controversial enough at the time). Every ten year old claimed to know a bout nude codes, swear codes or super-outrageous fatalities and the like.

I wonder if the same kind of rumors fly around about Modern Warfare 2 or whatever the kids play these days.

There was April Fools article in one of the UK magazines about unlocking the Ultimate MK3 characters in regular MK3 for the SNES. That one caught me out, though in my defense it was well past April when the magazine went on sale here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Pees With Boner posted:

In Donkey Kong Country 2 there was some bullshit where if you started on the very first level, went into that map room in the ship, jumped straight over the map, grabbed the balloon, jumped back over the map without activating it, then jumped over the first two bananas as you came out (this was EXTREMELY IMPORTANT) and jumped up and got the first bunch of bananas, then went back still avoiding those two bananas, there would be a coin that would give you 75 of those tokens you got for the secret levels which would unlock the entirety of those bonus stages.

It was actually true. To this day I'm not sure how much of that poo poo was necessary but I just kept doing it as my brother showed me. Still works in the ROM

Also there is a level with a parrot and thorned vines that will cause violent outbursts to anyone that tries to complete it. This works with the ROM too.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I wouldn't mind post 100% completion content if getting 100% was a reasonable time investment and was enjoyable.

Getting 100% of GTA San Andreas is pretty absurd, you encounter a handful of each type of hidden items playing through the areas that the story takes you to. There's hundreds of collectibles between tags, horseshoes, sea shells and photos, with no assistance other than a stat for how many you have. It's tedious and not worth the trouble.

Getting 100% in Bully was very reasonable, especially in the Scholarship Edition as the geography class let you see them on your mini map.

Crackdown 1 was possible too. IIRC you could get a stat for how many orbs remained in each zone and they made a ringing sound that got louder the fewer there was. Also loving about trying to climb stuff was fun.