Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Final Fantasy II (US)/IV (Japan)

There's a door outline (like for a secret door that has a switch somewhere) in one of the chambers on the moon. I think the Namingway room. This in combination with the Pink item that had no apparent use led to all sorts of bullshit people spewed about what magic number of Pinks would result in that drat door opening. And what was behind the door was also a source of a lot of bullshit.

IIRC, it's either just a glitch and there's no door there, or it's something they changed for the US version, and is something boring/unimportant in the Japanese version anyway. No great mystery, and nothing at all to do with those drat Pinks.

The smiley face made out of craters on the moon, and the Mars face being a terrain feature there that had no obvious purpose also was a source of a lot of completely unfounded rumors, again usually linked to either Pinks or that drat door outline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Catpants McStabby posted:

I fell for this back in the day, however the Pinks did have a real use. They were for the creation of a couple swords by some dude somewhere. I think they made excalibur or something?

Nah, that's the Rat (tail icon). The Pink (tail icon) is a super-rare drop in one of the caves on the moon. I think we took it to the blacksmith guy and he didn't make a cool sword or anything like he did for the rat tail. That the Pink had to go to that dwarf blacksmith was one of the themes of the rumors, though.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Three Red Lights posted:

I would love to play a game which had so many ridiculously convoluted easter eggs for doing random things you were bound to stumble across at least one during any playthrough and never be able to replicate what triggered it.

That's called Kingdom of Loathing.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Magnetic North posted:

Maybe less people played this game than I thought, but I'm surprised no one has mentioned Breath of Fire III and the plot-madated-unwinnable boss fight in Balio & Sunder in the Cedar Woods. People swore up and down that they were able to be defeated, and swore that they had done it. It seemed like it was the only thing anyone talked about in regards to that game. Still, it is entirely impossible. They aren't even actual enemies.

A much more comprehensive run down of why they cannot is part of DavidK915's FAQ. Just search for "12. BALIO" and you should get right there.

The first "boss" in Paladin's Quest is also an unwinnable plot-mandated boss fight. IIRC you do 0 damage to him and he 9999's you. I remember people at school claiming that poo poo was winnable, if you just levelled up enough in the first area (seriously like two floors of a tower full of lowbie enemies.)

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

If we're down to just posting games that are themselves hoaxes at this point, Steamshovel Harry: http://www.e4.com/game/steamshovel-harry/play.e4

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Slime posted:

That's kind of unfair, seeing as Sonic CD had a more limited market because nobody had a Sega CD. Nobody had a Sega CD because the only good game for it was Shining Force CD.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

If Edison Trent from Freelancer wasn't deliberately written as a :spergin: I dunno what to think

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Segmentation Fault posted:

Freeman isn't mute. The Playstation 2 manual for Half-Life features an acceptance letter from Black Mesa, which mentions a "recent telephone conversation."

Claude in GTA3 had a cell phone he'd receive calls on, people might refer to such after the fact as a "recent telephone conversation."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Worst Girl posted:

I wonder if sweet pickles is a legit film that existed. I haven't been able to find anything on that, nor Shawn Cheatham, aside from a few seemingly miscellaneous results.

Sweet Pickles like the children's books? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sweet_Pickles