Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Endorph posted:

I... what? Tick Tock Clock's entrance isn't in a tree. It's in a loving clock.

It's a clock that looks like a tree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The scariest thing is this thread itself; how the gently caress you guys took a genuinely interesting thread and ran it into the ground with video game ghost stories I'll never know.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

PJStelford posted:

I... Now that you mention it, I think it is atrocious that something like this wasn't done.

The biggest atrocity was Brawl getting released in the first place. :tipshat:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Endorph posted:

It's more because people don't tend to say "gently caress" a lot in real life, even around really close friends.

It's pretty rampant in LA.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

cobalt impurity posted:

In the starting area, in a minibar, in a corner of an area you don't ever have to go to, there is a bucket full of ice cubes you can knock over and watch them melt according to a needlessly complex algorithm. There is no other ice in the game anywhere.

Hideo Kojima thinks this is a valuable use of time and energy.

Are you serious? I can't find anything about this online.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

haveblue posted:

Gears of War also had a beautiful rain effect, so it's either a built-in feature of Unreal 3 or a common piece of sample code Epic gives out.

I don't remember the water running off the characters in Gear though. Also, if you stand under a stream of water coming off the rooftops it'll splash on the character.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Rocketlex posted:

- The long codes to unlock the eggs and key aren't the only codes of their type in the game. There are actually a whole mess of codes just like them (entered by typing CHEAT and then some kind of rhyming sentence) which do all sorts of things, mostly opening levels and making parts of Grunty's lair accessible. For this reason, the theory goes that these "Stop 'n' Swop" codes and all the codes like them are actually debug cheats developers could use to skip ahead and unlock things while testing. This explains why they're so drat tedious to enter. Presumably, a developer would be able to call up some sort of console and just type them in.

I'm interested as to why they'd make these codes work in the sandcastle if they're just for debug purposes? I mean, just use the console to do as you please, but they intentionally made them work in the sandcastle for some reason. :iiam:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

fishmech posted:

Because it allows you to take a build that's practically ready to be put on actual cartridges and sold and do some last minute checking for bugs when using an unmodified consumer console. Basically the same reason any game that still has debug mode available has it.

But most debug modes require outside methods of accessing them anyway, an this is was too cumbersome.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Gametrailers Pop-Fiction show did an episode on Sonic 2's Hidden Palace Zone:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/episode-10-pop-fiction/712396

Pretty interested and a lot more was cut than I thought.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

New Pop-fiction about Bigfoot in San Andreas:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/episode-11-pop-fiction/713378

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Thought probably bullshit, that was a great story.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

MadBimber posted:

"probably" ?

Considering the mod exists and is probably just some horrible attempt at modding Morrowind, it's plausible, but the story behind it? Eh, not so much.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ME is what I used to play Morrowind on. :smith: Yeah, it loving sucked.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

MisterBibs posted:

* In the relatively-obscure space sim Darkstar One, all of the systems follow the same 'rule' that most flight sims have: things in the background are always in the background. You can't fly to the nearby planet, for example, even if they do fudge things a bit by making a Planet Sprite a little bigger when close and smaller when far away. There were rumors going around that in one section of the game, the area is large enough that the outlying areas could be slowly traveled to. Surprisingly, it was true; the area in which you fought the last boss was large enough that the faraway asteroid field could be slowly traveled to. Nothing there but mining ore, though, but the sheer length it took to get there was scary as hell.

is there a video for this? I love poo poo like this since space itself is pretty drat creepy but to have random things like this in a game adds to it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Rocketlex posted:

Now, when you triple-jump, the third jump goes much higher and you're (I think) invincible while doing it.

I don't know if you were invincible but you did sparkle! And other than that it was useless.

edit: I remember you didn't take fall damage, but I'm not sure if enemies could hit you during it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Like, you didn't know there was a Goonies video game at all, or you just thought it started at 2? I can understand the former, but not the latter.

Well most don't know about Street Fighter; until I did some searching for it on the internet I just thought there wasn't ever a first game.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Windalgo posted:

A quick youtube search shows Tails Doll playing on other stages without the music being altered.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shpA8wOiSKI

People are really finding this creepy? It's comical if anything.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Ayin posted:

I actually have the Game Genie codebook, so let's see... Hey!

ALLCAPS removed for the sake of the internet :v:

:laffo: I like how they try write it off as "Bowsers' Time Trap" instead of the game freezing up. Then again the former would make more sense to a kid.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Doess Sonic ever run away if you don't move him? I remember reading something about this where if you let Sonic idle long enough (maybe on the first stage?) he'll just run off the screen and the game goes back to the Title Menu. Any truth behind this? I can't seem to find anything.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Blazeing w Hitler posted:

Goldeneye 64 beta version somehow still being on the cartridge... that must have been one of the original trolls of the Internet gameing forums because every kid at school insisted that you could unlock the beta version with gameshark or whatever, because the screenshots on the back of the box had different guns and poo poo. Was my middle school the only one with that dumbass rumor? There wwere tons and tons of other goldeneye legends but I forget most of them.

I never heard of any beta version of GoldenEye but I do remember reading countless ways to unlock the different Bonds (who I believe are featured on the back of the box). Interestingly enough, the textures ARE in the final product just not accessible via GameShark.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

trandorian posted:

I kinda doubt that if they're actually on the cartridge they're not accessible with the GameShark. You probably can't get to them with any codes that are easy to input using just the controller, granted, but as I mentioned the GameShark Pro for N64 allows computer hookup so you can send over thousand line codes if necessary to get what you want.

That was a really bad typo on my part and I just noticed it; they are accessible via GameShark.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Alabaster White posted:

Yeah, if you manage to hit a Skulltula guy in the back he will scream and turn blue. You were lucky you didn't stay around for long afterwards: after they recover from turning blue they will become hostile and attack like regular skulltulas :v:

No loving way, was this kept in the remake? I'm going to pop the game in my 3DS.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

YggiDee posted:

When he unfreezes he spins around once, and resumes non-hostile behavior.

Actually, he'll be hostile until he hits you, if you back away he'll spin but if you get close enough he'll spin again (and it's unblockable) and hit you.

Cuchulain posted:

It's a unique scream, and I'm pretty sure is a pitch-corrected version of Link's "oh poo poo I jumped off a cliff" scream.

I'm pretty sure it isn't, and there's 2 different screams I believe. Seems completely unique.

Zore posted:

You're forgetting the best part where he's crying at the base of the tree in the ending. Its not even really implied so much as directly stated at that point.

Yeah, it's pretty hosed up: http://www.zeldawiki.org/File:Dekutree.jpg

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Pon de Bundy posted:

But on another more spergy note, it was alleged that Ganondorf and his Gerudo was a criticism of Arab culture and misogyny, as Ganondorf is the only man around and allowed to mate freely with all of his desert harem. Thinking back. . .They all did have stereotypically large "Middle Eastern" noses, so did Ganondorf. . .

They also live in the desert wear clothing that looks middle eastern, their temple features a giant statue cast in the side of a mountain and the item you get from it features a cresent moon and star, which is an Islamic symbol. So yeah, it's easy to see the connection.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Im That One Guy posted:

I think I remember there being something like this in the first God of War. Like some scrambled numbers that when you unscrambled it was a 1-800 number started by the developers and it congratulated you for beating it. Anyone know what I'm thinking of?

I think this was for beating the Challenge of the Gods.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Install Gentoo posted:

And this is why Link doesn't get to have Epona except at the very first and very last parts.

What are you talking about? You get Epona half way through the game.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

computer parts posted:

Apparently this is actually confirmed in Skyward Sword, at least by my perusing of the Zelda wiki.

This is true, but there are games that share the same Link.

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I always looked at it as being the same Link, and either the Lost Forest poo poo was bull or being Hero of Time gives him an extra bit of protection. Especially since he apparently had some more Time Heroing to do in Termina.

The game never explains how one turns into a Stalfos or Skull Kid, it just states thats what happens if you become lost in the forest, so if Link were to hypothetically become lost I'm sure he'd still be able to turn into either of those things. And it might just be "If you die in here you come back as a monster" kinda thing.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Funkmaster General posted:

I always subscribed to the theory that MM took place in the middle of OoT. Specifically, that the game takes place in a dream that Link is having while being sealed away for seven years after taking the master sword.

How deep into the depths of someone's rear end does one go to come up with this poo poo?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

projecthalaxy posted:

Is there supposed to be a Chain Chomp? Because I see a Chain Chomp.

Yoshi, Kirby and Goombas make appearances too.

the Professor posted:

We must be very different, because I thought, "I could buy that".

If there was any evidence that this was the case then, yeah, maybe I'd buy it but everything is just "Well, this COULD be it!" even though the game doesn't hint at anything like that.

Either way, we should let this thread die and just jump this conversation to the Zelda thread and annoy people with it there.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I'm going to request an LP of all these secrets too.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I'm going to be recording some Hondo stuff today. If anyone wants in on it, bug me on Steam;

http://steamcommunity.com/id/NemsMole/

Edit: In doing some research, turns out I was right about nocredit. Hondo posted here saying it ends in the last dark drowning room. Video just processing now. If I can get some people together I'll take a bash at 5AM.

Shazam
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kD-ISLGWfyo

Sorry for the awful audio and naff editing. Also my horrible voice.

This is awesome and I request more. How many maps did Hondo make that had secrets?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So rather than post some lame video game fanfiction with some dumb horror twist, Pop-Fiction released another episode about the NES titles in the GameCube Animal Crossing and how some of the NES titles are in the game but the game has a check to make sure you can't access them thus making the two best titles impossible to unlock.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Link for Episode. My bet is that they put the titles in the game, but then they couldn't get the rights to actually allow players to play them.

Nintendo own Legend of Zelda and Super Mario Bros., so I doubt this.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Red_Mage posted:

Didn't the game have battery backup? I mean one integer that increments by a random amount everytime that say, the player presses a button, would not be hard to slip into a save file. At startup check the save for said integer, if it matches a magic number presto.

I don't think it had battery backup, I think the memory is just saved in the RAM; same with Sonic 1, you could get a Chaos Emerald in the first stage hit reset and play the first stage again to get the next one and rinse and repeat for every Emerald before you even get out of Green Hill Zone.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Can we put all this stupid spooky fanfic poo poo in a separate thread? I'd be nice for this thread to get updated once a month with some pertaining to the topic.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

feedmyleg posted:

Didn't see this dicussed anywhere else in the thread, but apparently Silent Hill takes place in the same world as Kindergarten Cop.

Yes, the Arnold movie.

More at the link.

This is uncanny, then again, I assume they had no other way of knowing what a American Middle School looked like and just used the film as an easy reference.

TheJoker138 posted:

Hey. gently caress you. Kindergarten Cop is a great movie. It may just be nostalgia talking though, as it was one of the first movies I remember seeing in a theater, alongside Batman Returns.

Honestly, Kindergarten Cop is the loving best. Hail John Kimble.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

rivid posted:

The Super Smash Bros Melee guide had a picture where Princess Peach is dressed up her outfit from the tennis/golf games. Not a hoax, but I remember people online talking about hidden outfits.

I believe this is one of the Trophies.

cobalt impurity posted:

Reminds me of all the speculation in Melee because the official artwork for the game sometimes showed Ganondorf with a large sword that he never actually uses for attacks. I think he pulls it out for a single taunt, but never to actually attack, and I don't recall there being a game where Ganondorf used a sword up to that point.

It's one of his win animations, and it's the sword he used in the Spaceworld demo Nintendo made for showing off the GameCube's power:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEF9Utdu-L0

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

TwoPair posted:

Then they gave him the sword from Twilight Princess as a taunt in Brawl just to... well, taunt people that thought he might use the drat thing to differentiate himself from Falcon.

Well to be fair he was pretty different from Falcon in Brawl. But then he was a bad character.

rivid posted:

The photo shows her fighting in the game.

Do you have a scan of this?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Because it was the worst gun in the game, no power and poor accuracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

It was fully automatic, but also slow at that.