Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

SpaceBees posted:

Killswitch

This one is really bizarre and difficult to even explain. The gist of it is that it was a Russian PC game with a very limited run, about 10,000 copies. Upon completion, it would delete itself. It is (in)famous because there were puzzles and levels that players never found ways to complete. The game took place in a Russian factory that was inhabited by demons.

Like I said, its difficult to explain what this game is even about, but you can read more here:

http://invisiblegames.net/archives/killswitch/

This is pretty cool. I hope people have more stories like this instead of crap about their friend telling them how to find mew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

The morse code messages are there, but they're not the ones it's talking about. Besides, considering how easy it is to mod Fallout 3 wouldn't the sound files be easily extractable from the game data?

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

SpaceBees posted:

Anyone have any information on Warcraft Adventures? Never was a Warcraft fan, but the story is interesting.

It was a point and click style adventure game were you played as an Orc. The entire game was completed, but it got canceled at the last minute. Its just weird to think that in some office on some guy's hard drive is a fully complete Warcraft game that nobody will ever play.

There are a couple videos on youtube, but I don't think the game was actually finished. It was cancelled because as the game started to come together, Blizzard realised that the whole thing just wasn't very fun.

Also the animation company they were using was the one responsible for those infamous zelda cutscenes.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

The Supreme Court posted:

Black and White occasionally whispers your name.

That's not a hoax. Normally it just whispers "Death" but if your windows username was something common like "John" or "Michael" it would whisper that instead.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

Red Robin Hood posted:

When I was skimming this thread did I miss the Serial Killer Roguelike faking scandal that happened recently? RPS article

Sounds like a :smug: goon to me. poo poo looked so awesome, too :(

That thread is awesome because it's full of goons 'ironically' saying "oh man can you kill a guy with a 7 inch steak knife and then cut his balls off and feed them to a girl and then kill her too and make her poo poo out the balls? :iamafag:", and then when it's revealed to be fake everyone gets mad because they really wanted to 'ironically' play the game.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

Republicans posted:

Pretty sure World of Warcraft devs still claim there are quests on live servers yet to be discovered, presumably through obscure triggers like for the CLUCK! quest.

Every quest can be datamined from the game files, as well as accessed by addon functions designed by Blizzard. Nobody's ever said anything about hidden quests, and if there were any they'd be found very easily.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

junan_paalla posted:

http://www.wowwiki.com/Goldshire#Children_of_Goldshire

Basically, in the town of Goldshire there are six children in the second floor of one of the houses. They stand in a pentagram formation and periodically face five different locations on the map that form a pentagram, too. Every now and then they run around town, keeping their tight formation, and at 7:40 AM a whispering "you will die" soundfile will play in their room.

It's creepy as all hell, but after multiple threads on the official forums and long investigations, it seems to be just an easter egg with no real purpose other than loving with people's heads.

Actually, the "You will die" soundclip was played by C'Thun (A cthulu-esque raid boss who whispers you with weird messages randomly when you're inside the dungeon). Someone released a video where they followed the children around and added the sound in himself; since most people had never been to C'Thun they hadn't heard the sound before and believed that it was really triggered by the children.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

Cryle posted:

The Graveyard is a very short computer game. You play an old lady who visits a graveyard. You walk around, sit on a bench and listen to a song. It's more like an explorable painting than an actual game. An experiment with poetry and storytelling but without words.

Buying the full version of The Graveyard adds only one feature, the possibility of death. The full version of the game is exactly the same as the trial, except, every time you play she may die.

Also when you die the only way to exit the game is to end it through the task manager. Another artistic masterpiece by the developers who brought us The Path!

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

Cobweb Heart posted:

Some people earlier in this thread mentioned a game called "The Theatre", specifically in reference to "creepy unfinished Soviet games" like STALKER or Pathologic or Killswitch. I haven't been able to find any information about "The Theatre" anywhere. Can anyone give me some information?

It was posted earlier in this thread but it wasn't very good. I think it was spelled as "theater" in the story.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

The Marathon Story Page is the coolest website on the internet. The downside is that reading it makes you totally pumped to play Marathon but you already know everything about it because you read the story page :(

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

Cichlid the Loach posted:

I dunno, it sure seemed like they were hedging the situation. Cloud and Tifa were living together and talking about family, but they sure didn't act like two people who were supposed to be in a physical relationship. I mean it was just loving weird. It seemed like a huge step backward from where they were supposed to be, like "Wait, did these guys actually hook up or what?" Then again, Japan. So the movie also manages also to ruin it for people who think they ARE supposed to be together.

I'd chalk this up to Advent Children being a horrible movie with nonsensical and retarded dialogue. It only makes sense if you love Final Fantasy 7 enough to ignore how bad it really is.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

Jibo posted:

It brought back Rufus though. :(

Pretty much everything else was awful, though. Weird clone guys, more Vincent brooding, way too much Cloud brooding, and they made Cid a hillbilly.

Also it took them half an hour before they established the gender of the villain. Red XIII was also Scottish for some reason, and he only had one line of dialogue.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

miscellaneous14 posted:

Uh, I thought that was Cait Sith who had the weird Scottish accent? I can't even remember what Red XIII sounded like.

I watched the movie expecting a giant piece of fanbait, with stupid-cool action sequences, and I really didn't care if the story sucked because I've never even played all the way through FFVII, so I'd say I got what I wanted out of it.

It might've been Cait Sith, I forgot most of that movie because like you say, it was mostly filler fanbait. I haven't played FF7 since I was 7 years old, and barely anything made sense unless you knew everything that happened in the game. Even then, it was mostly silly fight scenes.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

Quarex posted:

There was this one cruel hoax one time where Sega said they would release Condemned 2 for PC. It was the same hoax about Fable 2, and Halo 3, now that I think of it.

I don't know why you're upset about not playing Condemned 2, because all things considered I'm pretty jealous of you.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

Rakanakle posted:

I always wondered why I never really played a game that had a lovely opening but a fantastic closing. What you said makes sense, seems like a waste of resources to put your best foot forward at the end when most of your customers and reviewers won't see it.

Alpha Protocol.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

Huge Liability posted:

What is Braid supposed to be about? Last year I peer reviewed a classmate's essay on Heart of Darkness (the book, not the game) and three paragraphs in he started rambling on about the game Braid and its deep, thoughtful motifs that he thought were stronger than those of HoD. I read the wikipedia article on it to try and make out what the hell he was trying to say but it still made no sense. I mean it would've been a failed paper regardless due to plagiarism but I wonder what point he was trying to make.

Braid starts off with the premise that you have to save the princess, and then gets more interesting from there, and then gets really stupid. It's worth playing if you're into it, but if not (ALL THE BRAID SPOILERS AHEAD)The princess is your ex that you're trying to get back with, and there's all kinds of stuff about life going backwards to tie into the rewinding time mechanic. The last (first :v:) level starts with the princess jumping from the arms of a knight and running away from him as you run along the bottom part of the screen, and she hits switches to open doors and suchlike for you. When you reach the end she ends up lying in her bed with you standing outside the window, at which point the whole level plays out again the opposite direction, only with a different context as she runs away from you hitting switches to close doors before you get through them, and then eventually jumping into the arms of a knight and escaping. Turns out you're a crazy stalker!

Then the ending screens go into a bunch of contrived bullshit about the atomic bomb and a candy store and pretty much ruins the whole thing, unless you're so desperate about wanting games to be art that you think it's the greatest thing ever.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

RagnarokAngel posted:

If it was all that easy I think they'd do that every time though?

I think just about everyone who played Fable probably screamed at some point "Why the hell does that work the way it does? I could have done that better!". Sometimes developers lose focus and make bad/weird decisions that seem obvious to other people, like the Oblivion levelling system where people pointed out on the Bethesda forums how broken it was before the game even came out.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

NovaPolice posted:

Those other commercials are nothing, and it's time for you see the real god king of strange videogame ads.

I dunno about you guys but I'm loving sick of buying videogames that make the characters come to life in my living room and wreck the place.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

Hobnob posted:

I always got the impression that MGS2 was pretty much this. Everything past Raiden getting captured seemed to say "I, Hideo Kojima, think you, the player, loving sucks! Yes, you! You are scum if you play this game! gently caress you!"

Of course MGS2 had enough stupid poo poo in it that by the end I stopped paying attention to the exposition since everything that was "explained" would be sure to be unexplained in the next cut scene, so I never really got any coherent plot sorted out.

Actually they ended up explaining away half the crazy poo poo in MGS4 or outright ignoring it (Although I heard that Kojima wanted to keep most of it in but wasn't allowed to).

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

JammyLammy posted:

You really have a knack for picking the worst things to defend, you don't always need to justify your custom title :P

And at the same time, you somehow hate broccoli. What the gently caress, man?

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

JammyLammy posted:

gently caress that, broccoli is awesome. Brussels Sprouts is the poo poo that should be avoided.

How does it feel to be as wrong as 21stCentury? :c00lbert:

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Broccoli is a lot like anal sex. If you're forced to have it as a child, you won't enjoy it as an adult.

Then you were probably a bitch as a child.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

I can't imagine an animal crossing game genuinely deleting your save file as an easter egg.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

JammyLammy posted:

For those who might be interested, looks like cracked updated with a article about creepy urban legends in games that are true

http://www.cracked.com/article_1917...=feature_module

Reading the one on Mario Galaxy 2 at the moment. What a odd thing to put in a game.

The World of Warcraft one is a hoax. The sound files from C'Thun that apparently play if you follow them were added into a youtube video that someone made of them. It seemed even weirder at the time because C'Thun was a high-end raid boss that very few people had seen at the time, so most people wouldn't have heard the sound clips.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

There was only one video of a guy playing Fallout 2....... He was crying like a little girl.........

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

Fuego Fish posted:

And it's coming from the TV I turned off hours ago!!! Wait, what was that noise?!?

The only trace of Fuego Fish ever found was a short video uploaded to youtube the night he disappeared.

He was curled up in front of his TV, crying.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

If anything the reason is "Nintendo makes the same game multiple times" and they built a mythos around it because the fans thought there was one.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

He was asking about Centaurs :colbert:

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

In It For The Tank posted:

At least I know Tetris will always be safe.

I wanted to rekindle my childhood love of tetris so I dug out my gameboy. I was playing and I needed a line block to get a tetris, but instead I got a Tetris piece with FIVE blocks and then a hyper-realistic picture of my mother appeared in the background??? Needless to say I'm never playing tetris again...

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

For some reason I played Tetris again because something else is controlling my body now. There's a hyper-realistic picture of my girlfriend in the corner of the screen and she's opening and closing her mouth, and instead of the normal tetris music I hear her singing it with the lyircs "help-i-am trapped-in-the-vi-de-o-game-and-it-sucks, i-have-to-sing-the-song"

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

Monicro posted:

Keep writing this story and never ever stop

The ghost won't let me play more unless you buy stuff on my its Amazon wishlist.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

Segmentation Fault posted:

I kinda wish I knew more examples, because this kind of thing is really interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e91q5BtlxK0

In Serious Sam 3, at the very beginning of the game, cracked players ran into this guy. He's the only one of his kind in the game, and since he's invincible he follows you through the entire level and eventually kills you.

There's a list of some similar ones here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

Mister Roboto posted:

Could a game trick the player into saying their name (like at the reg screen) and then, 50 hours in, after they forget, the villain says "I know who you are...DAVID" and looks at the monitor creepily.

It's come up before in this thread, but Black and White had a list of common first names, and if any of those names matched the name of your windows profile the game would whisper that name.