Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

If you press A a thousand times the truck moves over a square and you can fight Mew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

BobTheJanitor posted:

The Killswitch story sounds neat until you start to think for a few seconds. How do you make a file that can't be copied, and how do you make something that will delete itself to an 'unrecoverable' state? Maybe with magical fairy computers you can do this, but with real world computers if you have data on a disk, you can copy that data to another type of media. Especially in 1989. Data security back then mostly consisted of saying 'please don't copy this disk, thanks'. And for magically deleting itself... cut a little U in the side of the floppy disk. Boom, now it's write protected and can't magically delete itself.

Killswitch may not exist, but the original version of Command and Conquer's uninstaller had a slight problem where instead of deleting the game's folder, COMMAND, it deleted COMMAND.COM.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Rocketlex posted:

Where Stop n' Swop gets interesting is in later Rare games. See, Rare likes trolling their fans. They really do. So in basically every game they've released since Banjo-Tooie, they've included some sly remark about Stop n' Swop and how "mysterious" it is. Case in point, in Grabbed by the Ghoulies there's a whiteboard with cryptic "hints" on how to get Stop n' Swop to work...which are of course total bullshit but still got people worked up for a few months.

Don't forget that you obtained the items in Banjo-Tooie by killing these guys:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Methodis posted:

All the secret games included in all the main menus of every system released since 1990. The Saturn and Master System actually had them, but I can't be the only one who spent hours trying different configurations to unlock the secret amazing 10/10 built in game into the Dreamcast!

Reportedly the first arcade version of NBA Jam had a secret Battlezone game unlockable from the title screen, which got taken out in the second version.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Danger Mahoney posted:

The best video game legends are the ones that end up being true. Back in the day, me and the neighborhood kids were obsessed with finding the "warp zones" (as we called them) in Metroid because one of the guys at school had told us he found all kinds of secrets worlds in game. Lots of kids told lies about secrets in games at the time (if you get to Mike Tyson without getting hit and then win with a knockout you can fight Mario!), but he was also the one who told us about JUSTIN BAILEY so we believed him. He wouldn't tell us how he found these things, so we bombed every square, even freezing the flying things to bomb ceilings, you name it but of course we didn't find any "warp zones" in Metroid.

Only as an adult did I find out he was telling the truth, even if it is just a glitch.

Or the one about the blocker chip in the Pokemon cartridge that makes it so you can't get the Pokegods (Pokeymen 151-200) cause the US cartoon wasn't at that point yet. You will be mine Pikablu :argh:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

S&K was developed at the same time as Sonic 3, splitting off because 3 was too far behind schedule to include Knuckles. You can't lock on Sonic 1 because the palette was incompatible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Ein posted:

About the much earlier dolphin-chat, I found some old GC dev-kit pictures on my computer:
huge picture

Nintendo were also heavily into the name Starcube before they changed it to Gamecube.

Holy poo poo, it's an 8-track!