Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
This thread is for the totally awesome and even more totally ignored weekly column Current Releases. It features four totally-legitimate film critics: Ian "ProfessorClumsy" Maddison, Martin R. "Vargo" Schneider, Montague "Legally Sane" Smythe, and Joseph "Jay Dub" Wade. Each week, 2 to 3 movies are reviewed, starting with a paragraph about the reviewer's Expectations, then a mini-essay on the Reality, ending with a score out fifty based on performance in five categories out of ten (also there's pretty pictures with funny captions). Each film gets a main review, and then under it is a much shorter review called "Minority Report" by a different writer (or at least that's the pattern as of late). It's really well-written and stays fresh with the occasional gimmick review.
And to make this post be somewhat helpful for discussion, here's the latest two reviews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
When the hell is Legally Sane gonna review something?

That's what I wanna know.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I do enjoy the movie reviews. Are they being moved to Wednesday permanently?

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Johnny Walker posted:

I do enjoy the movie reviews. Are they being moved to Wednesday permanently?

Nah, this week was a fluke, the SA uploader wasn't working over the weekend. Hopefully everything should be back to normal this week.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Also regarding "Legally Sane" (Don't scroll if you don't want everything ruined.)

He's a character created by Professor Clumsy

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Vargo posted:

Also regarding "Legally Sane" (Don't scroll if you don't want everything ruined.)

He's a character created by Professor Clumsy

That hasn't stopped Donovan Laird from contributing from beyond the apocalypse :colbert:

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

There is something about Current Releases that seems to go against the philosophy of the rest of the site (Donovan Laird aside). Still, I read it every week and it is now my main source of opinions on things I haven't seen!

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Portable Staplefrog posted:

There is something about Current Releases that seems to go against the philosophy of the rest of the site.

I'd actually like to hear more about this idea. Do other people feel this way? What exactly is it that make it seem out of place with the rest of the site? Off-hand, I'm guessing it's that the Current Release page is (somewhat) straightforward, but I don't think you can even say that when this week's ends with Jay Dub telling a (assumedly fictional) director's assistant "MAKE BETTER HORROR MOVIES rear end in a top hat!"

Feedback here is really appreciated, especially for me, as the new guy. I try to keep a pretty steady balance of serious-commentary to joke, and as such I've kind of evolved my own style for writing these. The three of us are guys who know our movies pretty well, and I at least have to remind myself that SA is first and foremost a Comedy site, but that doesn't mean we can't do legit commentary. I think we manage to keep the balance for the most part, and Jay Dub's review this week is hilarious. (Seriously, read it if you haven't.)

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

Vargo posted:

I'd actually like to hear more about this idea.

This is more how I felt when I first saw it, since I like it now.
I guess my negative reaction at the time was just to the idea of a review on Something Awful of something that was not awful.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Vargo posted:

I'd actually like to hear more about this idea. Do other people feel this way? What exactly is it that make it seem out of place with the rest of the site? Off-hand, I'm guessing it's that the Current Release page is (somewhat) straightforward, but I don't think you can even say that when this week's ends with Jay Dub telling a (assumedly fictional) director's assistant "MAKE BETTER HORROR MOVIES rear end in a top hat!"

A while back I remember seeing Current Releases described as "Relatively straightforward reviews (for Something Awful standards)" or something like that. It's a tough balance to strike. Go too far in one direction and we're just reviewing movies like every other toolbag on the Internet. Too far in the other direction and we're a bunch of braying jackasses with nothing interesting to say.

This week I tried something a little different because I didn't have too much to say about The Last Exorcism other than "Yeah it's pretty good, check it out." Ironically, it's probably closer to what we ought to be doing more of anyway. V:shobon:V

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...
Montague Smythe is a completely legitimate film critic and I'm not just saying that because he has a knife to my throat.

Bipedal Octopus
Feb 11, 2008
Those who do not know how to gleek will never know what it means to be alive
I like the reviews and read them whenever one of the films interests me. One of my favorite quotes on SA was from a review a couple weeks ago:

"Who do I trust, the ad executives who always lie to me, or the general public, who is always wrong?"

Words of wisdom.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I found Jay Dub's comparison of The American to Eat, Pray, Love to be accurate, considering that I almost saw the latter but ended up with the former on my recent movie date. Turns out that I was taking the same pill.

That's not a knock against The American either, as I did like it and so did my date.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

Y-Hat posted:

I found Jay Dub's comparison of The American to Eat, Pray, Love to be accurate, considering that I almost saw the latter but ended up with the former on my recent movie date. Turns out that I was taking the same pill.

1) That was Vargo, not Jay Dub.

2) You are such a pimp.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

ProfessorClumsy posted:

1) That was Vargo, not Jay Dub.

I wasn't gonna say anything...

:argh:

Hitlazers
Apr 20, 2006
Admittedly I'm not the kind of person who wanders the internet like a lonely ghost reading film reviews, and if I do it's for stuff I'm planning on spending money on, but I read Current Releases every week. I thoroughly enjoy it, and actively look forward to it. Try not to take it too hard that this is coming from a guy who thought "Hitlazers" was a funny and clever joke.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

Wandering the internet...

...like a lonely ghost.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Just wanted to post my appreciation for Prof. Clumsy's breakdown of the confusing action in Resident Evil: Afterlife. I haven't seen it, and don't intend to, but if I did then I'm 90% certain that poo poo would bother me, and 100% certain I'd have trouble articulating why. I feel I'm terrible at explicitly noticing most dumb poo poo in movies; if I do notice it's usually expressed as a general dislike. Reading analysis such as this one helps me to be a more alert and critical viewer, which is nice.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

ProfessorClumsy posted:

Wandering the internet...

...like a lonely ghost.

*For the Ghost that Surfs!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Discount Viscount posted:

Just wanted to post my appreciation for Prof. Clumsy's breakdown of the confusing action in Resident Evil: Afterlife. I haven't seen it, and don't intend to, but if I did then I'm 90% certain that poo poo would bother me, and 100% certain I'd have trouble articulating why. I feel I'm terrible at explicitly noticing most dumb poo poo in movies; if I do notice it's usually expressed as a general dislike. Reading analysis such as this one helps me to be a more alert and critical viewer, which is nice.
On another note, I now want to see Winter's Bone, a film until now I had never heard of. Maybe you guys should work in more lesser-known movies every once in a while. Not every week or anything, since I doubt many would find that all that entertaining, but it's something to consider.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Johnny Walker posted:

On another note, I now want to see Winter's Bone, a film until now I had never heard of. Maybe you guys should work in more lesser-known movies every once in a while. Not every week or anything, since I doubt many would find that all that entertaining, but it's something to consider.

I'd love to review more of the lesser-known stuff, but that's entirely up to the theater managers and whether or not they decide to schedule a talking animal movie that week.

Speaking of which, the only reason RE: Afterlife is numerically worse than Marmaduke is because...um...well I guess I was feeling generous that day?

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I can throw together a review of Get Low, another festival circuit favorite from this year if we ever need one. I really enjoyed that film, and would like to write on it.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

Oh boy...

quote:

EDITOR'S NOTE: When Satan is near, strange and terrible things transpire: Children bang their heads on the sharp edges of tabletops; toast falls to the floor jelly-side first; awful, ridiculous movies get positive reviews! -- Garbage Day

I'm never going to live this one down, am I?

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
Dear real film critics,

It is entirely possible, and indeed quite easy, to write a full review of Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole without making a single owl-related pun.

Yours Truly,

Current Releases

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

IT'S A HOOT!

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
One of your reviews encouraged me to see The Expendables, I was sort of on the fence about it, not sure how something like that was going to turn out, but after reading your review it seemed like the kind of movie I might enjoy, and I took the plunge and enjoyed myself, so thanks!

Still a little upset that Stone Cold didn't Stunner anyone though :v:

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I thought he did his signature move during his fight with Stallone? Maybe I'm remembering it wrong.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
Maybe I just missed it because of shakycam.

Provolone
May 17, 2004
Why no review of 'It's Kind of a Funny Story'? You guys are the only critics I trust anymore so I need your help deciding if it's worth heading out to one of the limited release theaters.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Provolone posted:

Why no review of 'It's Kind of a Funny Story'? You guys are the only critics I trust anymore so I need your help deciding if it's worth heading out to one of the limited release theaters.

No one got assigned it this week, that's all. However, I saw it anyway, and I thought it was pretty good. Zach Galifinakis does David Bowie, so that should be your ticket right there.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
So, I'm writing one of my professors to see if I can count the Current Releases writing gig as internship credit. I need to pick 2-4 of my reviews to send him as writing samples. I haven't done a whole lot, so it's kind of easy, but does anyone have any suggestions which ones I should pick?

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Wow, you weren't joking around in the bad greenlighted movies thread, ProfessorClumsy. I guess you really did like Skyline. Granted, you looked at it from a different lens than practically everyone else, but still.

Vargo, I can't help you, sorry. Perhaps ask the good folks in CineD?

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
It's cool, the other CR writers helped me out.

I'm actually probably going to see Skyline now on Clumsy's review. I wound up agreeing with him on Devil, so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I enjoyed doing this.

I should note that this photo is actually me.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

the posted:

I enjoyed doing this.

I should note that this photo is actually me.

On the left.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
We regret to inform you this week that due to Clumsy's hostage situation attending a wedding, Current Releases will be delayed until Tuesday.

To make up for this, we bring you a special treat: A message from the future from Donovan Laird, a look into the mind and personalities of insanity with Montague "Legally Sane" Smythe, and a straightforward, probably mediocre review from Martin R. "Vargo" Schneider.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

Vargo posted:

We regret to inform you this week that due to Clumsy's hostage situation attending a wedding, Current Releases will be delayed until Tuesday.

To make up for this, we bring you a special treat: A message from the future from Donovan Laird, a look into the mind and personalities of insanity with Montague "Legally Sane" Smythe, and a straightforward, probably mediocre review from Martin R. "Vargo" Schneider.

Marty Schneider: The Public Face of Current Releases

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Vargo posted:

A message from the future from Donovan Laird

What the gently caress, how the hell do you know that? Is Gmail's time-o-gram feature out of beta yet or something?

I thought I was special. :sigh:

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I'm the public face of Current Releases. I know everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

Jay Dub posted:

What the gently caress, how the hell do you know that? Is Gmail's time-o-gram feature out of beta yet or something?

I thought I was special. :sigh:

Vargo is actually caught in an infinite time loop. He's experienced this several times already.

• Locked thread