Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

paco650 posted:

Current Releases has been handy so far as it's helped me dispell any cognitive dissonance that I may have developed after spending close to $40 to take a date to the theater and trying to convince myself the movie isn't total loving garbage.

Tell us more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

ProfessorClumsy posted:

Tell us more.

"Gee Paco650, wasn't that a good movie? Ain't it better than staying home again?"
"Hold on, baby. Computer?"
*yes, master?*
"Display Jay Dub's write-up on the Bruce Willis vehicle Surrogates, please"
*of course, master*
"See, sugar? I knew that movie was poo poo! I knew it! The internet knows it too! The internet know ev-"
"Drive me home right now."

Aftertaster
Mar 29, 2007

Hello! Hi there! How are you!? Oh my God, hello! Greetings!! How ARE you!? Jesus Christ, good day!! MY GOD! SALUTATIONS!! HOW HAVE YOU BEEN DOING!?!?
Please keep up the excellent work, movie reviewers. Current Releases is my favorite section in the Something Awful comedy website. Every week I look forward to inserting your precious literary syringes into my comedy-deprived eyes. Not only are they a laugh-and-a-half, but they're also quite informative (and deliciously nutritious for my brain). I find that many of the movie reviews lie within my own realm of particular interests (and dislikes! oh my!) -- so that is also refreshing.

You've hit the nail on the head as far as reaching this audience...er...spectator member...poo poo...as far as I go. I look forward to it every week. You are my first source for hard-hitting cinema critiques. Keep up the excellent work.

I love y...no...no, never mind.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
It's okay, you can say it.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Jay Dub posted:

Okay then.

Jay Dub, have my babies.

wait, that came out wrong.

Aftertaster
Mar 29, 2007

Hello! Hi there! How are you!? Oh my God, hello! Greetings!! How ARE you!? Jesus Christ, good day!! MY GOD! SALUTATIONS!! HOW HAVE YOU BEEN DOING!?!?

Jay Dub posted:

I...I love you. I love you! I loving LOVE YOU! Goddamn that felt good. Thanks. I needed that. Keep up the good works, gentlemen.

Cigarette?

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

Aftertaster posted:

I...I love you. I love you! I loving LOVE YOU! Goddamn that felt good. Thanks. I needed that. Keep up the good works, gentlemen.

Cigarette?

Too far, dude. Too far.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

ProfessorClumsy posted:

Too far, dude. Too far.

Not far enough for me.

Aftertaster
Mar 29, 2007

Vargo posted:

Not far enough for me.

I've readied an inflatable "swimming" pool, and it has been filled to the brim with chocolate pudding (sugar-free). Only our imaginations can stop us now.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
This column and the A/V Club are my reviews of choice. All others can gently caress off.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

This column and the A/V Club are my reviews of choice. All others can gently caress off.

Hey now, you can't straddle the fence here. You have to choose a side. Us or them.

You picked them, didn't you? Everyone always picks them.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Vargo posted:

You picked them, didn't you? Everyone always picks them.

Well duh...

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Well duh...

And so our longstanding rivalry with the AV Club that I did not totally just made up continues!

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
Honestly, is there anyone we don't have a fake longstanding rivalry with?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Jay Dub posted:

Honestly, is there anyone we don't have a fake longstanding rivalry with?

Someday, you guys will totally come out on top over Peter Travers. That son of a bitch.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Someday, you guys will totally come out on top over Peter Travers. That son of a bitch.

That rivalry is not fake in the slightest. I loving hate Peter Travers.

This week ProfessorClumsy will tackle The Green Hornet, Jay Dub suffers through The Dilemma, and I get cultural with The King's Speech.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Hey, ProfessorClumsy, just wondering if you saw The Green Hornet in 3D or not and if you think it matters. I haven't gone to see any movies in 3D yet and frankly I'm not sure I like the idea of it being so common now but it is what it is, and I think I might want to see The Green Hornet (thanks for the review, again) so I thought I'd ask.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

Johnny Walker posted:

Hey, ProfessorClumsy, just wondering if you saw The Green Hornet in 3D or not and if you think it matters. I haven't gone to see any movies in 3D yet and frankly I'm not sure I like the idea of it being so common now but it is what it is, and I think I might want to see The Green Hornet (thanks for the review, again) so I thought I'd ask.

I saw it in 3D because my cinema does not offer the option on films that aren't for kids. The thing about 3D is that it doesn't really look any different to 2D once your eyes adjust to it. It's an identical experience that you're paying more for. So if you have the choice, see it in 2D.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Johnny Walker posted:

If you go see a movie in 3D, make sure it's one that was actually filmed in 3D. Most of the movies you see in 3D now are added post-production, and it's usually poorly dome, rushed quality that adds nothing to the film. Please note that being "Real 3D" is not an indicator of quality. Also, post-production can be good, if they take a lot of time and care, which most studios don't.

A good resource.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

Vargo posted:

If you go see a movie in 3D, make sure it's one that was actually filmed in 3D. Most of the movies you see in 3D now are added post-production, and it's usually poorly dome, rushed quality that adds nothing to the film. Please note that being "Real 3D" is not an indicator of quality. Also, post-production can be good, if they take a lot of time and care, which most studios don't.

A good resource.

On that note, Green Hornet is a well done post conversion 3D film. The conversion effect is not noticable in any way and it looks no different to some of the shot in 3D titles I have seen. You should still see it in 2D though if you have the choice.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Vargo posted:

Kevin James is to Chris Farley what Jim Belushi is to John Belushi. Every moment he spends on screen serves as a sharp painful reminder that the funny one ain't ever coming back.
Truer words have never been spoken :(

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
Typo correction:

"I may not be a fan of Kevin James' comedy, but I'm now jealous of the man for doing something I'll probably never get the chance to do."

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

As some of you know, I do the photoshop job on the banner that goes in front of the reviews.

I am thinking of ways to spice it up for 2011, so any suggestions from both the readers and the reviewers is welcome.

Also: Do you guys like it when I have fun with a certain film and do a special banner (like I did for Harry Potter and Tron) or do you prefer I just stick with the format I am already doing?

Edited to turn 2010 into 2011 because I am dumb.

TheBigBudgetSequel fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Jan 17, 2011

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

As some of you know, I do the photoshop job on the banner that goes in front of the reviews.

I am thinking of ways to spice it up for 2010, so any suggestions from both the readers and the reviewers is welcome.

Also: Do you guys like it when I have fun with a certain film and do a special banner (like I did for Harry Potter and Tron) or do you prefer I just stick with the format I am already doing?

2011, dude. Also, I love the custom banners, but that's because I'm self-serving and it makes me feel special.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
Last week, TheBigBudgetSequel drew up an awesome fake poster promoting a fake podcast that ProfessorClumsy, Vargo and I would fake record every week.

Then I made this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tt-uw9WgqA

And now it looks like it may actually happen. :haw:

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy
You should do custom banners because they're cool. The review of Son of the Mask reminded me of that "documentary" Jamie Kennedy did which was basically him crying for an hour and a half because no one liked the movie.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Clamknuckle posted:

You should do custom banners because they're cool. The review of Son of the Mask reminded me of that "documentary" Jamie Kennedy did which was basically him crying for an hour and a half because no one liked the movie.

Kickin' It Old School?

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Jay Dub posted:

Kickin' It Old School?

I was going to continue this joke, but it required me to go to Jamie Kennedy's IMDB, and holy hell how does this guy have a career?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I actually always read these. Which is really odd because I NEVER watch movies, I have been to the movie theater in the past 3 years a total of I think 2 times. I also never watch movies at home. But for some reason these articles interest me, I suppose they keep me up to date about new movies so I don't get teased by my friends for not knowing any new releases. It helps that they are written well enough that even someone like me who knows poo poo about movies can still find them humorous.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

I have yet to disagree with a Current Releases review, and that might be because I'm a goddam sheep, or it might be because you guys do good work.

It's because you guys do good work.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

betaraywil posted:

I have yet to disagree with a Current Releases review, and that might be because I'm a goddam sheep, or it might be because you guys do good work.

It's because you guys do good work.

That's cool, because we're pretty well known for going against popular opinion. We've made some unpopular choices.

Clamknuckle
Sep 7, 2006

Groovy

Vargo posted:

That's cool, because we're pretty well known for going against popular opinion. We've made some unpopular choices.

You seem pretty spot on so far. Even with your gimmick reviews.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Clamknuckle posted:

Eh, I got some poo poo for my negative review of Let Me In (which I still stand by), including "Vargo should never be allowed to review movies ever again."

Clumsy tends to get it for defending movies everyone else hates, like Skyline and Devil, the latter of which was so severe our head editor popped in to add a comment.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
I really liked Skyline...Devil on the other hand....................

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

Clamknuckle posted:

I will admit I usually kinda gloss over those.

I will also admit I kind of had fun during Ghost Rider.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
I still stand by my review of Easy A. 80s nostalgia can officially go gently caress itself. (I'm looking at you, Take Me Home Tonight.)

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Jay Dub posted:

I still stand by my review of Easy A. 80s nostalgia can officially go gently caress itself. (I'm looking at you, Take Me Home Tonight.)

That's right, I was trying to come up with a controversial review you've written. I forgot how horribly, horribly wrong you were about Easy A.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
So 80s nostalgia is totally awesome and writing a script where the main character goes "John Hughes this! and Cameron Crowe that!" is something people actually like?

Okay, fine. If that makes me wrong, I'll be happy and wrong until the day I die.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Jay Dub posted:

So 80s nostalgia is totally awesome and writing a script where the main character goes "John Hughes this! and Cameron Crowe that!" is something people actually like?

Okay, fine. If that makes me wrong, I'll be happy and wrong until the day I die.

This. This is why you get to see movies like The Smurfs.

Mr. Wrong Wrongington.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

This. This is why you get to see movies like The Smurfs.

Mr. Wrong Wrongington.

Yes, that's the reason. It has nothing to do with ProfessorClumsy being a sick bastard sadist who likes wasting my money for the sake of comedy.

• Locked thread