Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

corker2k posted:

Seconded. Can all "forums drama" be removed and let the good people of current releases go back to what I had considered the best review site around?

Since you asked nicely...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

corker2k posted:

Seconded. Can all "forums drama" be removed and let the good people of current releases go back to what I had considered the best review site around?

Only if I can still do Harold Gorman, Hollywood Foreman.

Rannos22
Mar 30, 2011

Everything's the same as it always is.

corker2k posted:

Unfortunately they're not letting g0m do another review for CR so that'll never happen.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
I found out that a movie of The Giver is being released soon and the first thing I thought was, "I can't wait to read Current Releases trash it."

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Finally, a biopic about the man who "created" the gape in Goatse.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
This week's review has a page 2 with nothing on it.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

As well as a page 5. And there's a proofreading error on the last page. Can you fix that? Because if you can I'll edit this post so no one has to know.

So, has Professor Clumsy been replaced by Twisted Ladder and Gentleman Loser? I've no problem with this, since it means more reviewers and fewer dicks. But the lack of confirmation has been bugging me.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

effectual posted:

This week's review has a page 2 with nothing on it.

It works for me, but I wish it hadn't.

Looking back, The Giver as a book had some strong right-wing undertones (or flat-out overtones, like the bit where Jonas's dad literally kills a newborn baby and that's how you know this society is EVIL). It looks like the movie sorta kept those, but also sanitized some of it away.

Senior Woodchuck fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Aug 18, 2014

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
I've been informed, but everything looks fine to me.

Some Guy TT posted:

So, has Professor Clumsy been replaced by Twisted Ladder and Gentleman Loser? I've no problem with this, since it means more reviewers and fewer dicks. But the lack of confirmation has been bugging me.

We kind of wanted to let the work speak for itself, but yeah, that's basically it. Clumsy left a few months ago, so we decided it was time to bring in a couple new regulars. I'm proud of the work they've done so far. It's good poo poo.

Jay Dub fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 17, 2014

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I miss Prof. Clumsy's phallic observations.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

quote:

For all its faults, I at least learned something from The Expendables 2, that Dolph Lundgren actually has a master's degree in chemical engineering. I doubt I'll be able to say the same this time around. - Sean "Keanu Grieves" Hanson

Dolph Lundgren is a 6'5, 240lb Black Belt Olympian Fulbright Scholar former special forces member ex-phD candiatate at MIT who hosed Grace Jones and lived.

Dolph Lundgren is, quite frankly, a little disturbing.

In a better world, a man like Dolph Lundgren would be living in the top of an art deco skyscraper with a crew of exotic assistants, descending occasionally to fight strange future crime and explore lost cities.

Instead he made Masters of the Universe.

He would still have hosed Grace Jones, though.

TwistedLadder
Mar 16, 2011

The only Disney Princess with a body count... in the thousands.

Y-Hat posted:

I miss Prof. Clumsy's phallic observations.

If it helps, one of The Giver's weaknesses was the distinct lack of boners.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

Senior Woodchuck posted:

IT works for me, but I wish it hadn't

Looking back, The Giver as a book had some strong right-wing undertones (or flat-out overtones, like the bit where Jonas's dad literally kills a newborn baby and that's how you know this society is EVIL). It looks like the movie sorta kept those, but also sanitized some of it away.

Book: Killing a newborn baby by injecting poison into its skull then dumping it in the garbage is kinda bad.

To Senior Woodchuck = Its actually good. Resist the Evil Right Wing overtones.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

TwistedLadder posted:

If it helps, one of The Giver's weaknesses was the distinct lack of boners.
THE STIRRINGS

TwistedLadder
Mar 16, 2011

The only Disney Princess with a body count... in the thousands.

Are creepily mentioned once and then neveragainpretendyouheardnothingsexdoesn'texist

We have to protect the 10 to 15-year-olds from the reality of sex, it's a concept that will scar and corrupt them!

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Just tell it to me straight: we're not getting a review of Planes: Fire & Rescue, are we?

Say what you will about the original Planes review (and you should), it was interesting.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

johntfs posted:

Dolph Lundgren is a 6'5, 240lb Black Belt Olympian Fulbright Scholar former special forces member ex-phD candiatate at MIT who hosed Grace Jones and lived.

Dolph Lundgren is, quite frankly, a little disturbing.

In a better world, a man like Dolph Lundgren would be living in the top of an art deco skyscraper with a crew of exotic assistants, descending occasionally to fight strange future crime and explore lost cities.

Instead he made Masters of the Universe.

He would still have hosed Grace Jones, though.

But could he beat Brock Lesnar?

E: outside of a "who has the most intestines" contest, of course.

I Before E fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Aug 18, 2014

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

Onomarchus posted:

Just tell it to me straight: we're not getting a review of Planes: Fire & Rescue, are we?

At this point, no. The release isn't current anymore.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

TwistedLadder and Gentlemen Loser are both welcome additions but I miss Clumsy. He's the only reason I gave Battleship and Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter fair chances, and he was completely right about both of them.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
Hollywood needs to make a movie about a Formula 1 race where the cars are replaced with dicks, intercut with footage of 9/11. Then he will return to us.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

General Ironicus posted:

Hollywood needs to make a movie about a Formula 1 race where the cars are replaced with dicks, intercut with footage of 9/11. Then he will return to us.

The whole idea has an Angels in the Outfield vibe to it. Only with more dicks, F1 and 9/11.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

TrixRabbi posted:

TwistedLadder and Gentlemen Loser are both welcome additions but I miss Clumsy. He's the only reason I gave Battleship and Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter fair chances, and he was completely right about both of them.
Was 9/11 really a game of Battleship or was that just Clumsy being Clumsy?

corker2k
Feb 22, 2013

Why did he leave, anyway?

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

corker2k posted:

Nine hundred and eleven creative boner differences.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

corker2k posted:

Honestly, we've been trying to figure it out. We've narrowed it down to two possibilities:

1) Murdered by Montague Smythe during an off-week.

2) England has established its own Internet to quell dissident Scottish separatists and Ian, a Yorkie whose allegiance is questionable, can no longer access SA.

Keanu Grieves fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Aug 20, 2014

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

quote:

I'm not really sure why anyone would bother to make any more high-school football movies when we live in a world that also has seasons 3-5 of Friday Night Lights in it.

Fuckin' truth. Texas Forever.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Fuckin' truth. Texas Forever.

Texas Forever, Street.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me
Rough week for Current Releases writers

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

Rough week for Current Releases writers

If you think this week's bad, look at September's release schedule. There's no wide release that looks like it'll stand out for the next few weeks. We could have funny reviews if someone on the CR team ends up seeing the new Atlas Shrugged movie though. At least Box Trolls comes out at the end of the month. That one should be good.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

A movie that makes us want to feel sorry for the hardships of players on a football team that won over 150 consecutive games prior to losing two is a metaphor for evangelical Christianity itself- they pull many of the levers of power in this country, but goddammit, they're a persecuted group in America and you better feel sorry for them.

Kleptobot
Nov 6, 2009
I had no idea there even was a Jarhead 2 until I read the column, so...thanks, I guess. Judging by the review it came out just like you'd expect a direct-to-DVD sequel to do.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

I noticed an error in your recent reviews, where you noted that Sin City was not a good movie, where in fact it was a good movie. Thank you in advance for fixing this mistake.

Penny Paper
Dec 31, 2012

quote:

[In Let's Be Cops], There is not one decent portrayal of women in this movie. Not. One.

In movies like that, there never is.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Just fyi the link to the Russell essay is dead in the Zero Theorem review. Also, drat do I need to go see it.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Holy poo poo

quote:

vouchsafed dilatorily by one's superiors
convinced of his own moribundity
anchorite of consumerism
sedulous overwork
teenage factotum
imprisoned by their inanition
quondam student
myopic pursuit of arbitrary and inutile goals
doggedly pursue the ephemeral satisfaction of addiction
pecuniary gain

Closefriend, I think from your review I'd enjoy this movie but you throw more two-bit words around than an undergrad. Polysyllables are the loving devil.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
IT WUZ GUD.

Better?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

So you enjoy needlessly obfuscatory phrasing in your reviews. Language that reeks of thesaurus puree and ipecac just ain't my thing.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
What makes it 'needless'?

James Hardon
May 31, 2006

effectual posted:

What makes it 'needless'?

This is a comedy website and the writers are welcome to use all the big words they like provided they enhance jokes, of which there are none in this or any other edition of Current Releases hth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i've never heard the word quondam before, and ive heard a lot of god dang words my friend.

• Locked thread