Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
Also it's a dramatic shift in tone and structure from the other reviews, even from someone who likes CR, it was completely out of left field. It's a movie review not a college essay, use a god drat contraction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Judge Clayjar posted:

i've never heard the word quondam before, and ive heard a lot of god dang words my friend.

It's one of the first results on a basic thesaurus.com search for "former" and is also the one of most obscure of the results. It really was a toss-up as to whether we'd see it or "whilom" in the review.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

Nucular Carmul posted:

Also it's a dramatic shift in tone and structure from the other reviews, even from someone who likes CR, it was completely out of left field. It's a movie review not a college essay, use a god drat contraction.
I admit, it's a fair point. I'll work on it.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

James Hardon posted:

This is a comedy website and the writers are welcome to use all the big words they like provided they enhance jokes, of which there are none in this or any other edition of Current Releases hth.

That's unfair. Your boy g0m wrote that review that had y'all in stitches!

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Judge Clayjar posted:

i've never heard the word quondam before, and ive heard a lot of god dang words my friend.

What about squamous? Have you heard that one? Not read it, anyone with any exposure to H. P. Lovecraft will have read it. But have you ever actually heard someone drop "squamous" into a conversation?

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

johntfs posted:

What about squamous? Have you heard that one? Not read it, anyone with any exposure to H. P. Lovecraft will have read it. But have you ever actually heard someone drop "squamous" into a conversation?
Funny you should mention that. Salah writes Lovecraftian slash fiction on the side: The Strange Cock of Charles Dexter Ward, Sluts in the Walls, From Behind...

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

CloseFriend posted:

I admit, it's a fair point. I'll work on it.

Language bitching aside, you done talked me into seeing it when it passes through the local arthouse.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Keanu Grieves posted:

Funny you should mention that. Salah writes Lovecraftian slash fiction on the side: The Strange Cock of Charles Dexter Ward, Sluts in the Walls, From Behind...
Cthulhu moaned, hornily.

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Language bitching aside, you done talked me into seeing it when it passes through the local arthouse.
Hey, thanks. That means a lot; no sarcasm.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

CloseFriend posted:

Cthulhu moaned, hornily.

Hey, thanks. That means a lot; no sarcasm.

"In his house at R'lyeh, dead Cthulhu waits wet dreaming."

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Senior Woodchuck posted:

It works for me, but I wish it hadn't.

Looking back, The Giver as a book had some strong right-wing undertones (or flat-out overtones, like the bit where Jonas's dad literally kills a newborn baby and that's how you know this society is EVIL).

actually, killing a newborn baby is looked down upon by most people regardless of their political views

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
Do people seriously not look up words they don't know? I thought that was like the one thing they still taught in school.

CopywrightMMXI posted:

If you think this week's bad, look at September's release schedule. There's no wide release that looks like it'll stand out for the next few weeks. We could have funny reviews if someone on the CR team ends up seeing the new Atlas Shrugged movie though. At least Box Trolls comes out at the end of the month. That one should be good.

I watched one Atlas Shrugged movie, and that's all the Atlas Shrugged movies I need for a lifetime. Then again, lately it seems like every time I say "I'm not seeing that movie," I wind up seeing that movie. It just happened two weeks in a row.

So look forward to my review of Atlas Shrugged 3, I guess is what I'm saying.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Keanu Grieves posted:

And is that strange cock squamous? Of course it is.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

I just felt like it was worth commemorating the first ever dickless week of Current Releases. Keep up the good work, ladies. Male film critics are terrible and we need less of them.

On actual content, they were really pushing The Identical at Nashville this year and I'm glad to see I'm not the only person who thought the premise sounded bizarrely stupid. Keeping an eye out for The One I Love.

TwistedLadder
Mar 16, 2011

The only Disney Princess with a body count... in the thousands.

Some Guy TT posted:

I just felt like it was worth commemorating the first ever dickless week of Current Releases. Keep up the good work, ladies. Male film critics are terrible and we need less of them.
We vagina-havers do our best. (Sincerely, thanks.)

Some Guy TT posted:

On actual content, they were really pushing The Identical at Nashville this year and I'm glad to see I'm not the only person who thought the premise sounded bizarrely stupid. Keeping an eye out for The One I Love.
Definitely see The One I Love if you get the opportunity, it really is a very unique film.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Some Guy TT posted:

You're making some ridiculous assumptions about gender if you think neither Ashley nor Libby have penises.

TwistedLadder posted:

We vagina-havers do our best. (Sincerely, thanks.)

Definitely see The One I Love if you get the opportunity, it really is a very unique film.
Backing you up here: The One I Love is like a really good Twilight Zone episode, and one of my favorites of the year so far. Thanks for recommending it.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

"Hmmm, I wonder what's on tap for Current Releases this week, hopefully some good reviews!"

Page 1 posted:

...I guess any step away from the politics of Taken is a good thing.
"Pass." *clicks next page*

Page 2 posted:

It's tasteless and serves little purpose but to poke fun at a man in a dress...
"PASS." *clicks next page*

Page 3 posted:

I am so tired of these types of films, wherein a well-off white person...
"PASS." *reads last review which is actually good*

I don't know when Current Releases became a pissing contest over who could be the most outraged at socio-political issues in a friggin' movie review column, but it's becoming close to unreadable. Give me Prof. Clumsy and his dongs any day of the week- at least he showed some self-awareness and humor.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Sep 28, 2014

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Y-Hat posted:

"Hmmm, I wonder what's on tap for Current Releases this week, hopefully some good reviews!"

"Pass." *clicks next page*

"PASS." *clicks next page*

"PASS." *reads last review which is actually good*

I don't know when Current Releases became a pissing contest over who could be the most outraged at socio-political issues in a friggin' movie review column, but it's becoming close to unreadable. Give me Prof. Clumsy and his dongs any day of the week- at least he showed some self-awareness and humor.

"They are outraged, this is an outrage. I am outraged."

What a vicious cycle.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
I know, it's almost like we care or something. What the gently caress, guys?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Jay Dub posted:

Sorry, Boss. The Tumblrs done corrupted me.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Sorry, Boss. The Tumblrs done corrupted me.

Get back in your box.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I've seen so many 30 second commercials for The Skeleton Twins but none of them gave me any indication about what the movie was about, except maybe a zany romcom where Bill Hader and Kristin Wiig are maybe friends who realize they're in love. The actual plot makes me think it's something I'll actually watch.

I'm also kind of disappointed about The Boxtrolls but I do feel like all the previews I've seen for it, it didn't seem to really click for me the way I got excited for ParaNorman or Coraline.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Y-Hat posted:

Give me Prof. Clumsy and his dongs any day of the week- at least he showed some self-awareness and humor.

I too miss Professor Clumsy (I like all the current writers too!). Though I hated the movie, his review of Only God Forgives got me to re-watch it and while I still dislike it, I can appreciate it for what it is. I hope he comes back.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

EDIT: gently caress it; never mind.

CloseFriend fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Sep 29, 2014

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Jay Dub posted:

Shut up you little weenie.

Ruddha
Jan 21, 2006

when you realize how cool and retarded everything is you will tilt your head back and laugh at the sky

Jay Dub posted:

Ha! Gay!

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Chairman Capone posted:

I've seen so many 30 second commercials for The Skeleton Twins but none of them gave me any indication about what the movie was about, except maybe a zany romcom where Bill Hader and Kristin Wiig are maybe friends who realize they're in love. The actual plot makes me think it's something I'll actually watch.

I'm also kind of disappointed about The Boxtrolls but I do feel like all the previews I've seen for it, it didn't seem to really click for me the way I got excited for ParaNorman or Coraline.

TwistedLadder is right, this is a movie worth hunting down. (You're right, thought, the marketing is atrocious.)

Chilled Cactus
Nov 15, 2011

College Slice

The BoxTrolls Review posted:

Tumblr is already seething about this, and after seeing it, I cannot blame them.

The BoxTrolls, the new cartoon from the studio that put a cool gay jock character in their last children's movie, has been accused of anti-progressive thoughtcrime by Tumblr, the subculture that even progressives laugh at. And you know what? They're right.

lol

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I can confirm that Skeleton Twins is really, really, really good. It's a really smart and funny movie about depression.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

The real problem with The Boxtrolls isn't some cliche jokes about a drag show, it's that it fails to follow through on it's revolutionary narrative. It's a story about systemic oppression but it's main villain, Archibald Snatcher, is merely the symptom of this system, not the cause. He is driven to madness by his desire to belong to the exclusive cheese-eating, bourgeois, white hat society. He thinks that by killing all the boxtrolls, who have been forced underground by this society, he will belong and become a part of the elite. Even though the very cheese he dreams of eating literally poisons him.

Without absolving him of his genocidal actions, Archibald is himself a victim of capitalism. But his defeat is painted as a grand victory. When in actuality the system that created him is still in place, only that the boxtrolls are now participating in it.

Although the propaganda drag show was pretty funny and I don't get why it's offensive.

TwistedLadder
Mar 16, 2011

The only Disney Princess with a body count... in the thousands.

Vargo posted:

TwistedLadder is right, this is a movie worth hunting down. (You're right, thought, the marketing is atrocious.)

I went back and watched a trailer for the Skeleton Twins after seeing the movie, and the movie advertised is decidedly not the film I saw in the theater.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

TrixRabbi posted:

The real problem with The Boxtrolls isn't some cliche jokes about a drag show, it's that it fails to follow through on it's revolutionary narrative. It's a story about systemic oppression but it's main villain, Archibald Snatcher, is merely the symptom of this system, not the cause. He is driven to madness by his desire to belong to the exclusive cheese-eating, bourgeois, white hat society. He thinks that by killing all the boxtrolls, who have been forced underground by this society, he will belong and become a part of the elite. Even though the very cheese he dreams of eating literally poisons him.

Without absolving him of his genocidal actions, Archibald is himself a victim of capitalism. But his defeat is painted as a grand victory. When in actuality the system that created him is still in place, only that the boxtrolls are now participating in it.

Although the propaganda drag show was pretty funny and I don't get why it's offensive.

Oh for sure

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

axleblaze posted:

I can confirm that Skeleton Twins is really, really, really good. It's a really smart and funny movie about depression.

Yeah, we loved it. Wiig and Hader's performances are just really great. Hader's sucide note is also a nice opener for the film. Anybody here who gets a chance to see it, please do.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Jay Dub posted:

Two of my favorite CR reviews were Mars Needs Moms and Won't Back Down, which both had a liberal dose of political concerns in them. In the case of the latter movie, the anti-teacher union platform was essential to its plot, and the movie suffered accordingly in its final score. As for the former movie, I think that the "this movie is anti-feminist" interpretation is a little bit of a stretch, but it was a fresh take back then because you didn't see that sort of review every week. When you have three reviews bringing up politics in the same week, it gets very stale and very preachy very quickly.

And I gotta agree with the person who laughed at the sentence about Tumblr. This is a community that took a couple of months to warm up to Frozen (no temperature pun intended) over concerns about it potentially being "problematic," whatever the gently caress that means.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I think it's perfectly fair to talk about trans representation in Boxtrolls (the old "man in dress deceiving men into sex" gag was lovely way back in Ace Ventura and it's lovely now), but waving vaguely towards an entire social network (which doesn't even represent a singular community with a homogenous perspective on this stuff) is a silly way to back it up.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Y-Hat posted:

"problematic," whatever the gently caress that means.

It means that there may be problems or negative aspects to the thing being described, aspects that should be thought about and discussed, possibly mocked and even argued against. This is both fun and good.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I guest-starred on the Secret of the Sailor Madness this week, talking about A Goofy Movie. Here's a link to me and two Irish guys explaining why A Goofy Movie is great for over an hour. Listen to it, fools: http://secretofthesailormadness.blogspot.ie/2014/09/show-80-mahwty-mahwty-wake-up.html

There's even a bit where we talk about the relevance of Goofy dressing as a woman for a brief second. So there you go. Topical.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
I'm glad you don't get paid

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

lmao

James Hardon
May 31, 2006

Vargo posted:

I guest-starred on the Secret of the Sailor Madness this week, talking about A Goofy Movie. Here's a link to me and two Irish guys explaining why A Goofy Movie is great for over an hour. Listen to it, fools: http://secretofthesailormadness.blogspot.ie/2014/09/show-80-mahwty-mahwty-wake-up.html

There's even a bit where we talk about the relevance of Goofy dressing as a woman for a brief second. So there you go. Topical.

(0 Comments)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Triticum Guzzler posted:

I'm glad you don't get paid

Getting called slurs for homosexual people is all the payment I need!

• Locked thread